PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 06:33 PM   #1  

Question I need help.....

I was diagnosed PCOS about 5.5 years ago during our struggle with infertility. We have stopped the infertility treatments and are thrilled to be adopting a daughter from China. However, I am still dealing with other aspects of PCOS.

I do not get periods without taking medications and I am about 90 lbs overweight. I have tried low carbing in the past and found it worked well, but I never stuck to it long enough to see any real results. However, every time I low carb my periods return without taking meds.

I think it is time to try low carbing again. I really want to be healthier and in a better state of mine when my baby comes home. I have read up on many plans and just do not know where to start. I would like a plan that is healthy and is fairly generous with its fruit allowances.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nancy
Old 09-16-2001, 09:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Suggestions

I have read Dr. Atkins from cover to cover, and he says "Maybe, one day, a piece of fruit once a week." Also read Sugar Busters, which sounds much better. Bread, fruit, even wine! Visit some of the forums for the different plans, I'm sure you'll find something you can stick with.

Congratulations on your new baby! Good Luck!

Sherrie
Old 09-20-2001, 12:11 PM   #3  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Hi Nancy!

There is a SugarBusters thread on this message board that I highly recommend. My endocrinologist put me on SB when I was diagnosed with PCOS. It's lower in carbs than Weight Watchers and low fat diets, but it is not a low carb diet like Atkins. It's also very healthy allowing generous portions of veggies and fruits. It's a realistic long term change in someone's way of eating - not a diet. It's not only "doable" it's "doable" without inconveniencing the rest of the family.

Have I sold you yet? Please check out the thread - Debbie is the moderator and she has tons of informational links on the first post of the weekly support thread. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Old 09-20-2001, 08:14 PM   #4  

Hi SolShine:

Sb sounds great. I've been doing some research and am really interested in Low Glycemic Index Foods. I believe that is what SB is based on. What would you eat in an average day. Can you give me the brief do and don't of SB.

Thanks,

Nancy
Old 09-20-2001, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking Consulted the Sugar Busters book. . . .

and here are some sample menus:

Breakfast: orange or grapefruit juice, 1 pkg. Quaker instant oatmeal with 2/3 cup skim or lowfat milk (sprinkle with Equal if desired), coffee, decaf coffee, or hot tea

Lunch: turkey on whole grain bread with mustard and/or thinly spread lite mayo, lettuce or fresh spinach, and tomato, diet drink, tea, or water

Snack: apple

Dinner: pork tenderloin grilled or baked with sliced onions, brown rice cooked with 1 can Swanson's fat free and 1/3 less sodium chicken broth and 1/2 cup water, steamed fresh green beans, water or other appropriate beverage

Dessert: one dozen nuts

BREAD!! RICE!! FRUIT!! I may switch plans!!

Sherrie
Old 09-20-2001, 10:08 PM   #6  
Senior Chicky

Sherrie~~You are tooooo cool!

My daughter (kudos) started LC with Sugar Busters and was quite happy with the results UNTIL she found that certain of the allowable foods set her cravings off for other carbs.

Nancy~I do think it is about what you find that works for you. I wish you the best of luck. Hope to see you around and please share your results!

Janice
Old 12-14-2001, 07:11 PM   #7  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

You dont need to follow any real plan.

You should be gradually lowcarbing. Getting less and less every 2 to 3 days until you reach the lowest you should go. The cravings will subside after you have "detoxed". But it should be done gradually. You also should be taking the gluc on highcarbed foods. Like eat a sandwich then take your pill. Between pills, low carb to a safe level. Go too low and you will go into ketosis which will give you the shakes and dizzy spells.

You should be eating 5 little meals a day. Start at 80grams a day for a few days, gradually getting down to 50grams a day. This does not include your veggies and fruits, you can eat as much as you want excluding high glucose foods such as watermellon.

I suggest for at least 3 days, eat regular, not worrying about low carbing. Once your body has gotten back to that, then start at 80grams (total carbs) plus as much fruit and veggies then work down to 50grams plus as much F/V as you want (total carbs) a day. This will slowly adjust your body and the cravings should subside. 80grams for about 3 days, then 70 grams 3 days, then 60, then 50. That would be a total of 9 days before you have reached your goal. CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS FIRST.

Do not binge eat when you are shakey/dizzy. Eat slow and healthy. This will allow you to fill up and get the food you need without over eating. Skim/Soy milk will also do a quick-fix. So drink 4 ounces of milk to get you at base, then eat. Milk is not a substitute for food however, but to be drunk with your meal. It will just give you time to get the shakes gone while you prepare your meal.

Foods to avoid are potatos, carrots, corn, watermellon, strawberries, squash, bananas, etc. Look at the produce book in your grocery store to help you. Try to stick to foods under 20 grams.

Have you discussed Glucophage and Avandia with your doctor? These are drugs to help treat PCOS and should be taken for the rest of your life to thwart off all the threats that come with PCOS. It will allow you to lose weight as well. This should be done with low carbing; although you shouldnt low carb the first couple months until yoru body is adjusted to the new drug. After that, then go into low carbing.
Closed Thread