PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #76  
Swimming Mouse

Quick post from your local Eeyore. The administration at my school are driving me up a wall. The district that I interviewed with called me AGAIN today... although I have no idea why.
I spent an hour and 15 minutes lifting weights; and I think it was Yvonne who said it... no, the doctors do NOT believe it. Most doctors I come across (and I see a whole lot!) assume that we do no exercise and mainline junk food daily.
There are only two doctors that believe me: my gastroenterologist, because she SEES me at the gym (we belong to the same one), and I'm pretty sure my endocrinologist believes me.
And you know, there was a story on Entertainment Tonight (not my normal choice of shows, but I wanted to see the 60 Minutes 2 thing on schools so I didn't switch channels after the news), about a woman who wants to weigh 600 pounds. ET detailed what she eats, daily, that its about 14,000 calories, including a 3500 calorie drink every night before bed. She measures herself frequently so she can make sure that she's not LOSING WEIGHT.
I'd love to meet this chick and give her my endocrine disorder or an injection of PCOS virus!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 PM   #77  

Hello,

I'm doing pretty well, Duckie (our 17-year old male cat) is helping me type this.

Sorry you're sore, Noodles - it sounds like you got a lot done, though. I love yardwork (since I can use it to avoid housework, plus it's outdoors) but sometimes I use muscles that I don't at the gym.

Jennifer was mentioning elliptical trainers in the journal. Did you ever find a good one? I tried out a decent one for about $1200 by Diamondback. I like Precors but they are lots more money. A lot of those cheaper ones have very short stride lengths that make it more like a stairstepper, and they hurt my knees. Diamondback makes one with a 21 inch stride length which is nice and long so it's not so bouncy.

Has anyone found a cheap elliptical that they like? Does having one in your house really help in the winter etc.? (I like going to the gym (3-4 times/week) but am thinking maybe I'd exercise a couple more times a week if I had one at home... maybe this is a delusion though...)

Thanks, Yvonne
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #78  
Rattie Lover

Blah..I can't get my camera downloading program to work so I can't get pictures up right now! PHooey!!

Hey Mousie, I saw that on TV tonight too..the girl trying to get to 600 pounds!! I think she's lost it. That CANT be healthy!!

Ok..don't laugh at me but...What is an elliptical?? I always read people talking about it on here but I still haven't figured out what it is.

Well...I guess I will go for now. Type at you girls later!! Type back too! hehehe
Old 08-26-2004, 05:05 AM   #79  
Getting back on track!

Wink Hello

I don't know what one is either. In fact 'trainers' in the U.K are running shoes/sneakers and I thought ... elliptical trainers.. What are they like Nike? well I am a bit
Eeyore/mouse School admin!!!!!!!!!!!! I know where you are coming from. When does term start over there? We start next week.
Hello Yvonne - It's nice to meet you!
Noodles - I just can't wait to see the garden pics. I love lemon and orange trees! I'm sorry your arms sore but its very stress releasing to swing a hatchet don't you think?
Hope you are all well.
p.s also 600lbs Why is she doing this?????
Old 08-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #80  
WW Moderator

Yvonne, I went for a home gym instead. Elliptical is next! I have a treadmill and I had a small bench with a limited amounts of weights, so I figured the weight set needed to come first. Also, it was cheaper! I don't know which brand I will get. I've heard the $3-500 models are wobbly, but I don't know about that for sure. I want to go to Sears and try theirs, and then go to our one single fitness shop and try the ones there. I've never heard of Diamondback. How long have you had it?

Noodles, not a silly question at all. Elliptical trainers look like a mix between a cross country ski machine and an exercise bike. You stand up on it and it works you out with very little impact. Here are some pictures.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #81  
Rattie Lover

Red face Good Morning...

Ahhh...so THAT'S what that thing is sitting in my aunts living room collecting dust!!! I'm going to have to razz her about it.

I am up wayyyy too early for my blood. Especially since I just went to bed 3 hours ago. Blah!! The dog/husband combo woke me up and I can't just fall back asleep that easy. Pfooey!!

Hubby still didn't install my picture software. He has a deadline so he said picture software has to wait. Bah!! Can I slap him now? Huh can I can I huh huh???

Ok...enough griping for now. See what I mean...I am not a morning person. But...the bright side is..the sun is out and warming my newly planted plants.

Have a good day everyone!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:00 PM   #82  

Hello folks,

Jennifer, I didn't buy any of the elliptical trainers yet. I just went to a bit fitness supply place and tried a few out. They didn't have a whole lot of brands. The Diamondback was the closest to what my gym has among what was offered, though. It was smooth, reasonably sturdy (not like a gym one quite) and has a nice long stride instead of bouncing you up and down, so your knees don't die.

Good night all.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:29 PM   #83  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening. Long day for this mouse. Work, and I sat in meetings ALL DAY LONG. I traded with my TA because admin said ONE person from each team had to be there. She hates meetings the way I hate copying. So she copied our entire first marking period's worth of work (most of it at least... we had done the other stuff earlier in the summer), and I sat in meetings. And read my e-books on my iPaq.
I was so happy to find an elliptical in my gym downstairs and one in my gym that I go to, and I've tried them twice. I can't push it down with my left leg/ankle, and I fall when I get off of it because I can't balance. I really need to find a cardio workout that isn't in the pool. Our pool is only closed once a year for maintenance, but I'm going NUTS. It was full and ready today, but not warm (takes 3-4 days once full to warm), so I can't swim till Monday. I've been lifting weights all week, but...
I do limited biking, but I have such a horrible expression on my face from biting my cheek (because it hurts) that I get comments from other members or the trainers on the floor! Its kinda embarrassing, because they assume that my weight is the issue and I just can't pedal because I'm too heavy!
I don't understand it: I used a bike that the PT's adapted to be a recumbant bike and could do that for 12-14 minutes without stopping. The recumbant bikes at the gym I can't use for more than 2 minutes! The only thing I can think of is that the way the PT adapted the bike was lower... so I was just about even with the bike, and its an older model with the "fan style" wheel.... no electronics except a simple timer. The seats at the gym put you much higher, so its more a traditional style of peddling.
Any ideas on this or another cardio exercise I could do that isn't in the pool? I can't do the treadmill either, and the only other things at the gym are an upper body bike (its was recommended that I not do that, swim, and lift weights because the majority of my exercise is then on the upper body, and the upper body bike is really for patients with significant motor issues or who need to strengthen their upper bodies. The gym uses it for the heart therapy program, parkinson's, and stroke patients).
Obviously, any standing aerobics classes are out, and I can't get up from a seated position on the floor without something or somebody to lean on because of the ankle, so I've been reluctant to try pilates or yoga.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:54 PM   #84  
Happy Heathen

Default blagh

Hi everone

Anonymouse, you're so great with exercising, I wish I could be as motivated! Unfortunately I'm not, so my working out is really sporadic and not doing much good I'm afraid. I don't know why it's such a problem, I feel so much better when I work out and I should be able to just do it - I don't know why I make it into such an ordeal. Any advice?

Well, I'm having a blaghhhhhhhhh day, or couple of days. PMS, but the PCOS kind with TONS of pimples and about 10 pounds of extra water weight so I'm feeling really crappy about myself; I'm sure you've all been there. Not much else going on, just needed to whine a bit

Have a great Friday everyone!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #85  
WW Moderator

Hey, I'm having a bad skin day, too. I don't know why my complexion is so inconsistent!

I do the same thing with exercising. However, it is rare these days. Find a kind of exercise you LIKE. Also, I watch series/shows that I only watch while working out. Right now I'm watching Freaks and Geeks. Just finished The L Word. I dunno what will be next, but I'll only have it on while I'm working out. Same thing for a few cds that I like. Between the tv shows and the fun I'm having with lifting weights, I get almost all workouts done. The other obstacle is staying up half the night on the computer, and then being too tired to wake up early. Speaking of, I need to go to bed!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:52 AM   #86  
Rattie Lover

I hear ya!! I've been doing landscaping but...it makes me more hungry. I've been eating everything in sight!! I've gained a few pounds too..but I have more energy and feel good so go figure. I wish I'd LOSE the damn pounds instead. *sigh* I'd have to literally live off of salads and water to lose anymore weight I guess. Oh well...I'm going to just try to be happy with what I have done and keep doing what I'm doing and stay healthy and if I'm 40 pounds over weight then so be it. At least I'm staying active.

Well, we STILL can't get my camera software uploaded. Pfooey!! Hub has to work on it some more...so no burro pics just yet. Soon though! I promise.

I'm SO glaaaadddd to see all of you posting!! Keep up the good work!!

Night nites..
Old 08-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #87  
Swimming Mouse

I went to bed REALLY late last night myself. And I'm sore from 1 hour+ of nothing but weight lifting. AND I had one of those days where even the thought of food makes me nauseated, so I sort of skipped the gym today. Got some take-out chinese veggies and lo-mein (asked for it without oil, so I hope they did or I'm going to get sick...) near to work, and came home.
I'm not going to do ANY work tonight, I'm going to read a book and eat my dinner.
My father's birthday gift to me was a gift certificate to Amazon, because the mp3 player he bought me never worked right. We couldn't return it, so he gave me something different which was nice.
About motivated exercising: One thing that motivates me is that I have a friend at the gym. I only see her when I swim, and she's kinda fun to talk to. She's been a big help in getting me to set goals and figure out what I'm doing. The other thing is like Jennifer mentioned: music. I have some CD mixes that I make that I only listen to in the gym... and I put songs I really like in various spots on the CD so I'm motivated to continue. I'll buy single tracks from iTunes too, when I get to personal goals so I can make new CDs. I figure $8 is a cheap reward.
I do the reward thing too: I love to read, so I'll reward myself with a hardcover book for a big goal, or a softcover book for a smaller one. My big reward recently was having my apartment professionally cleaned, though, because my father gave me the Amazon gift certificate.
And of course, I really like my gym. Which is becoming a problem, I keep saying I want to move back home, but there are no gyms like this one in my hometown!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #88  

Happy Saturday everyone,

I went to the gym today and did a long workout for me; 45 min. on the elliptical and 6 weight machines, however long that took. It's so humid out though that I ended up feeling exhausted.

I'm wondering if it is the metformin too; has anyone else on metformin found their energy levels differ from before they took it? I'm having much milder "dips" in energy/blood sugar in general, but exercising seems to leave me more tired than normal. This is just my 2nd week on the metformin.

On the plus side, I might also be craving sugar less. That would be so excellent, if it got rid of those cravings!!! Maybe having more even blood sugar and less insulin would help that.

I have always exercised since I was about 14; I feel lucky to enjoy it, as a lot of my friends have to push themselves. However controlling my eating has always been a struggle, and my weight has crept up a lot over the last 15 years or so. I feel so much better with reasonable blood sugar; all the health tips (fiber, etc.) help but don't eliminate the problem. My PCOS symptoms really started in my early 30s, I think; maybe my lower weight in my 20s kept it at bay. Or something.

Have a good evening,
Yvonne
Old 08-28-2004, 10:27 PM   #89  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, everyone. Its been a long day... I've done nothing but schoolwork all day long. I've been hunting for coupons for the coupon sort activity (I need more than 200 coupons, and they're HARD TO FIND) in a variety of specific price values. I prefer electronic images because coupon paper is so thin that even if I laminate it, the kids will be able to bend, roll or otherwise destroy the items. That means I need to make it childproof, and its easier to print it on cardstock and laminate it (that stuff lasts darned near forever as I've found out: the ink doesn't even fade! I have bingo games and 20 questions games that I made 5-6 years ago that look new, and 6 years ago, my printer wasn't anywhere near as nice as it is now!). But coupons are so hard to find! I've done so many google searches, I'm going insane. I needed coupons in varying amounts from $3.00 to $.01. $1 coupons were easy, and .50 cents weren't too bad either. Surprisingly, $3.00 wasn't so tough either once I figured out that I should hit up the tourist websites for local areas! Lots of the mueseums and stuff had $3 off coupons.
I am, of course, soliticing coupons. I'll take them via snail-mail or email if you feel like scanning them in.
On other news... Hmm... I'm not sure there is any other news on my end because I've been so busy making these coupon, zip code and recipe sorts for the lower kids...

Old 08-29-2004, 01:56 AM   #90  
Rattie Lover

Hello girls!!

Man am I sore. We finished planting the back yard plants and trees today...thank GOD!! I also worked on my trees in the front yard. I mulched everything and built moats around each plant & tree. I planted in total:

TREES: 2 Mesquites, 2 Silk Oaks, 1 Lemon, 1 Orange.

SHRUBS, ETC: 7 Yellow Lantanas, 7 Red Birds Of Paradise, 1 Rose Bush (others died), 2 Butterfly Bushes, 8 Bouganvillas, and some purple cactus. I'll add some white ground cover later.

Tomorrow the river rock and gravel arrives and the REAL fun begins. I'll have to take pics of it all. We have 20 tons of rocks coming. The good thing is we don't have to rush to put them all in. We live next to an empty common area so we have permission to dump everything over there by our back yard and leave it. I just hope I'm not too sore to do anything. On a good note, I've lost 5 pounds since I've started this project!! Now to keep it off after all landscaping is done....

Yvonne: I didn't have a problem with being worn out with Met. I actually gained more energy at first. I find that when I miss taking a pill I get wiped out more easily. I still have the sugar cravings though...but not as bad as before. I don't think I will ever lose the chocolate cravings.

Mousie: I don't have many coupons, but I will see what I can dig up for you. Does it matter if they are expired or not??

Well, I am going to rest for now. I hurt!! But I am waking up sore-less so that's a good thing. My body must be getting use to it.

Have a good Sunday!!
Closed Thread