PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:57 PM   #31  
Swimming Mouse

I give up. That's it. I quit. If I can't get people HERE to understand what I'm saying, how can I EVER except somebody who doesn't know an endocrine disorder from a pumpkin to understand what I'm saying?

I've said over and over and over again that I DO exercise, and I DO what I'm supposed to do. I see all my doctors. I take my medication, even though it makes me throw up all the time. I go to the gym... I don't even need to ASK for a locker near the pool anymore, they just give me one. Sometimes, they have the key out on a towel for me because they see me coming from the front desk! The people at the front desk know me by name! I was there TWICE today, for pity's sake!
Jiminy cricket... What do I have to freaking do to get people to UNDERSTAND that I AM doing what I'm supposed to do!? What MORE am I supposed to do than I'm already doing?! This is just flat out insane, really.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:46 AM   #32  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
I give up. That's it. I quit. If I can't get people HERE to understand what I'm saying, how can I EVER except somebody who doesn't know an endocrine disorder from a pumpkin to understand what I'm saying?
Anonymouse, I sense your frustration, but I do wish you would reconsider how you respond when people try to offer support and encouragement. Perhaps it isn't the reply you were hoping for, but they offered it in good faith, which they may not do again.

I will offer a suggestion, based on the posts that I have read. I haven't read them all. If you don't like my suggestion, please just ignore it and move on

I noticed that you said you consume 1300 calories or less, and you exercise daily, often for an hour or more. We've had a lot of members describe the same thing, in the same boat where they do so much yet don't lose the weight. Others have suggested they increased their calories and it usually works. It doesn't sound like you are consuming enough to support your activity level, and your body is probaby slowing down your metabolism, which is normal under those circumstances. It thinks it's going into a famine, so it burns fewer calories than it normally would, in order to preserve your fat stores for later. Jennifer once compared it to a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter I would suggest that you gradually increase your calories, perhaps adding a snack or two. Your body needs to know that it's ok to burn more calories. I would not suggest a large increase initially, but a gradual increase. Just a wild guess which may be wrong, but I would think you need between 1600 and 2000 calories a day. I've not read enough of your posts to try to figure out what kind of diet plan you follow, and if you follow a particular meal schedule. Do you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks? A lot of people find that works for them, or even 5 or 6 equal mini-meals. Are you following a very low calorie diet? Recent research has shown that moderate fat works better than low fat for a lot of people. Some people find that varying calorie intake keeps them going. Perhaps 1600 cal per day one week, 2000 per day another week, 1800, 1400, etc. It may take a few weeks before you notice a difference, because the body isn't tricked easily.

There are a lot of changes you can try. When we reach a point where we know that what we are doing just isn't working, then it's time to make a change. As an example, Jennifer (who is also PCOS) did well with South Beach for a while, then hit a plateau that never ended. So she switched to Body for Life and things started moving again. Now she's hit another plateau, and is considering other programs. Her body is finnicky Maybe yours is, too. Try something new. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. Just take a breath, grab another book off the shelf and try something else.

I hope that helps. But if it doesn't, at least please remember that the advice was offered in good faith. Good luck
Old 08-12-2004, 02:13 AM   #33  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
I wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #34  
Swimming Mouse

Suzanne: I'd love to increase my calories. I can't. The medication makes me sick, and I wind up throwing up or becoming so nauseated I don't want to eat. The doctors are trying to do something about it, but the basic issue is that I need to have surgery. The doctors want to remove the pannus, but I can't find a plastic surgeon that I can afford that will do it. I have another name, so I'm going to call his office in a little bit.
On days that I can eat, I do... Yesterday kind of started out as one of those days, and I even went to dinner at Cracker Barrel with a good friend. I still made good choices: green beans, broiled fish, broccoli and salad... but then I went and did some more swimming, so I got some frozen yogurt to eat later... even with dinner I'd had under 1000 calories and done a lot of exercise. I took my meds while eating the yogurt and got sick. So much for that.
I don't want to eat breakfast now, but I have to, because I'm supposed to go to the gym at 12 so they can show me how to use the more complex weight machines. I finally managed to get cleared by the orthopedist, so I can do it at the gym now.
You're probably right that I need to eat more, even though one doctor said that I should eat less than 1200 calories daily. I think that's crazy, and aim for 1400 on a good day.
My insurance won't pay for a visit to a nutrionist either, because the one physician (surgeon that I saw) told them that my problems were because I didn't exercise and didn't diet.
I don't have a specific plan, I just really try to eat healthy. Summer is easy because I love fresh fruit and vegetables. I don't do low carb intentionally, but since the low-carb products are the ones that have Splenda, I do wind up semi-low carb. I don't buy things with white flour or mass-processed foods most of the time. I do eat white rice (brown rice does funky things to my already sensitive digestive system), when I eat rice which isn't often. I do also eat potatoes, but again its not often, and they're fresh potatoes not processed.
The bread I buy is whole grain of somesort... this week its 6-grain rye bread. Its really good. I've never seen it before; sometimes I'll buy an organic whole wheat sourdough if they have it.
But I think I'm doing my part, and I just don't have the results... and what results I do have just aren't fast enough to me. I gained 180 pounds in about 2 years from this, its not fair that its taking 5-8 years to come off!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 PM   #35  
WW Moderator

Mouse, I understand your struggles! There isn't really anything I can say to help out, except to remember that you have been losing weight, right? Haven't you lost 50ish pounds since last Fall? I lose weight at sloth-like speeds and it gets old, but I do what I can. Keep your chin up!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:56 PM   #36  

How to Love Yourself
by Louise Hay

STOP ALL CRITICISM. Criticism never changes a thing. Refuse to criticize yourself. Accept yourself exactly as you are. Everybody changes. When you criticize yourself, your changes are negative. When you approve of yourself, your changes are positive.

DON'T SCARE YOURSELF. Stop terrorizing yourself with your thoughts. It's a dreadful way to live. Find a mental image that gives you pleasure and immediately switch your scary thought to a pleasure thought.

BE GENTLE AND KIND AND PATIENT. Be gentle with yourself. Be kind to yourself. Be patient with yourself as you learn the new ways of thinking. Treat yourself as you would someone you really loved.

BE KIND TO YOUR MIND. Self-hatred is only hating your own thoughts. Don't hate yourself for having the thoughts. Gently change your thoughts.

PRAISE YOURSELF. Criticism breaks down the inner spirit. Praise builds it up. Praise yourself as much as you can. Tell yourself how well you are doing with every little thing.

SUPPORT YOURSELF. Find ways to support yourself. Reach out to friends and allow them to help you. It is being strong to ask for help when you need it.

BE LOVING TO ALL YOUR NEGATIVES. Acknowledge that you created them to fulfil a need. Now you are finding new, positive ways to fulfil those needs. So lovingly release the old negative patterns.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. Learn about nutrition. What kind of fuel does your body need to have optimum energy and vitality? Learn about exercise. What kind of exercise can you enjoy? Cherish and revere the temple you live in.

MIRROR WORK. Look into your eyes often. Express this growing sense of love you have for yourself. Forgive yourself looking into the mirror. Talk to your parents looking into the mirror. Forgive them too. At least once a day say: "I love you, I really love you!"

LOVE YOURSELF... DO IT NOW. Don't wait until you get well, or lose the weight, or get the new job, or the new relationship. Begin now - and do the best you can.

I can highly reccomend the mirror work. I look into my own eyes each and every morning and say "I love you" and it really makes me feel better.

to all struggling with loving themselves.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:04 AM   #37  
Rattie Lover

Well said, Dreams!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:38 AM   #38  
Rattie Lover

Talking I wanted to share this with you girls...Tis from my Daily Motivator site. Enjoy!

Forgive

The more grudges you carry, the heavier your burden becomes. Forgive, and let them go.

When someone has wronged you, it hurts. There is certainly no sense in using your own time and energy to prolong that hurt. Forgive, and you can begin to move away from the pain. Forgive, and you can move forward with a much lighter load.

Forgiveness does not mean that you allow others to take advantage of you. On the contrary, forgiveness gives you positive power no matter what others may have done.

Anger and spite can eat away at life until there's almost nothing of value left. Forgive, and free yourself from the grips of that anger.

Forgive, and you'll be much better off. Forgive, and you'll be free to truly live.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 AM   #39  
Getting back on track!

Thumbs up Hello

Hi!
I'm Annie and I've just been diagnosed with PCOS. I'ts been so interesting reading all your messages. I've learned so much already!!!
Hope to get to know you all better.
Annie
Old 08-13-2004, 06:44 AM   #40  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, Annie-Rose!!

Pretty name!! Thanks for joining us!! We're glad you're here and hope you will return and keep on posting!!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:33 AM   #41  
Getting back on track!

Lightbulb

Thanks Noodles!!!!

Does anyone know anything about PCOS and raised prolactin levels? I've just had an MRI head scan, my doctor thought as I have raised prolactin levels I might have a tumour on my pituatry gland. I didn't have a tumour so my doc just thought it was a bit of a mystery. I'm reading two books about PCOS at the moment but neither mention prolactin.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #42  
Rattie Lover

Wow..Ya got me there, Annie. I will have to do some research on Prolactin and get back to you...Might be a week or so cause I am headed out Sunday for girls-only week away with my best girlfriends. I can't wait!!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:47 PM   #43  
Rattie Lover

Hey You girls!!

Can someone go post a word in the word association game we have running?? It hasn't been played since my last post on July 31, 2004. Pretty please??? The link is at the bottom of my signature.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #44  
Swimming Mouse

Well, since you asked so nicely, Noodles...

And I missed Jennifer's post earlier: Yes. Allegedly, according to the scale, I've lost 64 pounds since I started tracking in October. I suppose more importantly than weight lost is that my body shape has changed. People are commenting on it significantly... which just leads me to another problem. I need to buy new clothes, my old ones are too large. However, I can't buy a smaller size because of the lump in the front... and I'm still hoping for the surgery. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that aren't going to fit right anyway. Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:14 AM   #45  
Rattie Lover

I go to Thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I'm a cheapskate.
Closed Thread