Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #121  
klc

Carrie, I'm sorry that you didn't get Pot Roast, cause I agree with Melissa... it was yummmmy. There are two veggies that I don't like period...asparagus and beets. I couldn't believe it, cause I not only ate the asparagus, but actually enjoyed it. The pot roast had no fat on it, and was tender enough that I could easily cut it with a fork.

Grace, you're right, I need to start a blog to cover the meals you can't have, since I'm going to be here awhile
-Kathy
Old 08-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #122  

Cool HELP....... need some direction

Hi guys... I am coming to you as the Bistro MD office is closed today .
I was setting up my meals for today and the meals sent don't match up with the menu that they sent nor to any that is listed on the website for either Bistro MD or Biggest Loser or any of menu's that are on their website
........soooooooo my question is how much mix and match can I do ?
Any suggestions ?

Renita
Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #123  
klc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenita View Post
Hi guys... I am coming to you as the Bistro MD office is closed today .
I was setting up my meals for today and the meals sent don't match up with the menu that they sent nor to any that is listed on the website for either Bistro MD or Biggest Loser or any of menu's that are on their website
Any suggestions ?

Renita
Personally, I sort mine into breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack sections, and just pull whatever I want for the day out of those 'buckets' (and the nonfrozen 'bucket'). I don't worry about keeping the same daily menu combinations that they have on their menus. If you're having a tough time trying to figure out what falls into a specific category, give us a shout out, and we'll help you out. It's really tough to tell the difference between some of the lunches and dinners when the lunch has veggies with it. In the beginning it also tough to tell what is a snack vs breakfast.

The menus have been a little inconsistent the last couple weeks. The selections have all been good, but they're different from person to person, and different from the menus on the website.
-Kathy
Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #124  

Default Good info

Thanks Kathy,
I had a breakfast muffin and Hot chocolate.. The muffin was wonderful but the hot cocoa was a little too sweet for me.. so I just added it to a cup of coffee and made a mocha/ cappuccino drink.....which was much better. As I think I mentioned sweet things in the am are not a favorite of mine but I am willing to give it a try and then modify as I go.
Question.. the protein fruit drinks are they as sweet as the chocolate ? I think I can add some lemon juice to tone it down if it is........

Renita
Old 08-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #125  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc View Post
As an FYI, I just placed my order for snacks. I bought just over $100 worth, so it was 10% off = $90 (and free shipping). I bought boxes of bars, box of cheesecake, box of toffee pudding, and assorted single crunchy snacks to try, for a total of 63 items. When you work the math at average so much per item, times 14 (# of snacks you get on BMD 7 day plan) it comes out to....drum roll please...exactly $20, which is EXACTLY the difference between the 7 day snack and no snack plans LOLOL. So like I said earlier, the only reason to do this is if you want to pick your own snacks.
Awesome! Thanks for the run-down, Kathy. Excellent information, as usual. You rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc View Post
Grace, you're right, I need to start a blog to cover the meals you can't have, since I'm going to be here awhile
I started to say, "Don't do it just for me!" but then I realized I wouldn't be sad if you did start a blog to review all of the yummy foods I'm not getting! Heeee!

Quote:
Any suggestions ?
I do a ton of mix and match. I'm a detail junkie. Like... spreadsheets and OCD and all sorts of lists... all over the place.

So, when I first started receiving BistroMD shipments, I created a spreadsheet of which foods were at what calorie level, protein level, sodium level, carbs, etc.

What I noticed was, I get one "heavy" meal per day (usually listed as dinner on their menu--things like Pork Papaya and Turkey with Cranberries) and one "light" meal today (usually Blackened Tilapia or Chicken Italiano--but for you, the lunches should be more obvious because you can have gluten and therefore probably get things like soups and "lunch-like" items). I could also have one breakfast and one hot chocolate drink, plus two snacks. Usually one "heavy" snack (Crunch-O's or a protein bar) and one "light" snack (Chocolate Mini Crisps or a protein shake).

So, as long as I only pulled one "heavy" meal and one "heavy" snack per day, and the rest was one "light" meal and one "light" snack, plus my breakfast and hot chocolate drink, that was ALWAYS bringing me in between 1190 and 1410 calories.

On days when I was extra hungry (like pre-menstrual) and I didn't want to go off-plan but knew I would need some extra calories, I'd have two "heavy" meals and hit more like 1550 calories for the day, but that worked out okay because there would always be a day when I was in a "light" mood and I could come in at just under 1100 calories and be okay for that one day, now and then.

Does that make sense?

There's not really a "food combining" thing going on. It's ALL so well-balanced in terms of glycemic index and proteins vs. good carbs that you can't screw it up if you grab for one heavy/one light and don't double up your heavies in one day, etc.

Lemmeknow if I need to do a better job clarifying that!

Quote:
Question.. the protein fruit drinks are they as sweet as the chocolate ? I think I can add some lemon juice to tone it down if it is........
They were definitely too sweet for me. I would water 'em way down or even mix 'em with some iced tea to make a larger, but more "my style" drink. Once I even mixed vodka in one of the protein drinks, to have a "protein cocktail." LOL

Happy weekend, everyone!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #126  

Default I think I have the flu.....

I was all prepared to have my new wonderful meals yesterday and then started to get that queasy feeling after I had breakfast and before the end of the day I was running a temp and feeling terrible..
Still feeling bad this am so I put the BMD food back and made some dry toast and tea this am.
I hope this goes away shortly and I am really glad all this food is frozen vs fresh. If this lasts a few days I would not have good food to use.
I was able to get one evening dinner in on Friday before this hit full force yesterday...it was the Bourbon Chicken....it was so tasty and the veggies were great.
Hope the flu bug goes and finds a new home SOON

Renita

Last edited by crenita; 08-24-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #127  
klc

Quote:
Hope the flu bug goes and finds a new home SOON
Renita
Just don't give it a map to Alabama<G>. I am so sorry you're sick. Hopefully it's a 48 hour bug and you'll be good to go tomorrow!
-Kathy
Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #128  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
I was all prepared to have my new wonderful meals yesterday and then started to get that queasy feeling after I had breakfast and before the end of the day I was running a temp and feeling terrible..
Still feeling bad this am so I put the BMD food back and made some dry toast and tea this am.
I hope this goes away shortly and I am really glad all this food is frozen vs fresh. If this lasts a few days I would not have good food to use.
I was able to get one evening dinner in on Friday before this hit full force yesterday...it was the Bourbon Chicken....it was so tasty and the veggies were great.
Not sure if it'll help to know this, but I got sick just a few days after starting BistroMD (back in February). Here's the post I made about it: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135235

I was very sick in bed for several days...

BUT!!!!!

I have NOT been SICK (not even a sniffle or a tummyache) since then!!!

I am SO much healthier, even my fingernails are stronger and longer! I am NOT kidding!

So, my theory is that my body wanted to react to being fed such delicious, good for me food by rebelling and trying to get me off track and back in bad habits quickly. NOPE! Didn't do it! And the results have been amazing (I used to get at least a really bad cold every three months, it seemed).

So, YAY! Maybe you're getting your "sick" out of the way too and will be healthy as a horse for many weeks or months or years to come.

'til then, FEEL BETTER!

(I'm taking the day off from BistroMD so far. Got some delicious gluten-free baked goods and I'm treating myself and counting calories for the day... will still have a BistroMD dinner, but I had a chicken salad on a gluten-free bagel for lunch, so, not BistroMD, but still within good calories for the day so far.)
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 137/131.5/125

Height: 5'6

Hey! I had the pork tenderloin tonight, it was good. For lunch I had the Jumbalya...yummers!

Ok, KLC, I'm heading to buy some snacks. That sounds really good. I'm looking forward to seeing my weigh in.

Renita, I'm sorry you're sick. I've only had large amounts of gas.

Grace, so, my question is, how do you handle those moments? You know the ones where you say, "I'm so done with this, I want a beer and chicken wings?"
Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #130  

Oh...and Kathy, my pot roast didn't have beets. I had corn.

Carrie, I'd complain about not getting the pot roast. I couldn't eat it all. My husband finished it for me!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #131  
blissfully gluten-free

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaV View Post
Grace, so, my question is, how do you handle those moments? You know the ones where you say, "I'm so done with this, I want a beer and chicken wings?"
LOL

Well, I can't have beer (gluten) and wings would have to be "naked" (since most BBQ sauce or wing sauce is thickened with soy sauce = wheat), but I get your point.

When I have a, "Screw this, I'm having sushi and wine," moment, I have sushi and wine.

Luckily, I've spent the day prior to that moment making good choices and I'm aware of what my calorie level already is by the time I'm headed to the sushi-and-wine moment. So, I keep my portions controlled and calorie intake still under 2000 calories for the day (I honestly haven't taken in more than 1800 calories in a single day in all of 2008 so far) and I get right back at it the next day. Right back to exercise, right back on BistroMD 100%, right back on feeling good and knowing I'm on the right track and headed in the right direction.

For me, it's never about absolutes. (LOL I'm laughing at myself using the word "never" in that sentence. Ah, irony is fun.)

Anyway, it's not about absolutes for me. I don't prevent myself from having things that I want. And if I find myself wanting to go off-plan more days in a row than ONE, I say, "Okay, Grace. What's going on here? Do you really want this weightloss goal? Do you want it more than you want the food or drink you're craving? Is this a habit instead of a true want?" And only after deciding, "Nope. Nothing else is gonna do. I have to have the WANT," do I let myself have it.

And even then, I stay within my calorie limits for the day AND I exercise more to make up for going over at all.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, I get right back at it, 100%, the next day.

That's my recipe. FWIW

I know I'm not a role model for weightloss, as I do it very slowly and in a "program" that I don't follow to the letter, ever. But this is what works for me and that's what's important.

Hope that's what you were looking for, somewhat.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #132  

Default some interesting info from BMD dietician

I sent a question into the Dietitian at Bistro MD and this is her response.. thought it was worth passing along
QUESTION : when I had family visiting and ate off plan for 7 days.. the next week I dropped 4 1/2 lbs what happened ?????

Answer:. Before I address the set point theory and how to affect that, let me first address why it is that you ate "off track" while visiting with family and then lost so much the next week. What happens to your body after eating the same amount of food consistently for 4-5 weeks is it kind of hits a plateau. Basically your body gets used to what you are providing it and doesn't work as efficiently for you. In Dr. Cederquist's medical practice it's at this time that we introduce what we call a "metabolic adjustment" phase. What this is is increasing the amount of calories you eat for 1-2 weeks (typically by adding in more lean protein, fruit and veggies, but pizza works too :-) ). What this does is bumps your metabolism up and gets your body looking at different foods. Then the week after the adjustment you cut back down on the calories and your metabolism is still "revved" up so you can burn the calories more efficiently. So basically that is what you did for those 7 days. You gave your body something different to look at.

Even with our program, I recommend that every 4-5 weeks you add in a little bit more to your plan (another protein snack, a piece of fruit and maybe a salad with dinner) for a week or two to rev up your metabolism, then bring the calories back down.

QUESTION: How to affect your Set Point ???
ANSWER:
As for the set point theory, the set point is the weight range in which your body is programmed to weigh and will fight to maintain that weight. Some believe that the number of fat cells the body contains at the end of the first year of life determines the set point. The amount you eat, the fat content of the diet, and the level of physical activity determine how large those fat cells will become, and how heavy you will be. This means that no matter how many fat cells you have it is possible to shrink the amount of fat storage they contain, although, you need to select the correct exercise and diet suited to your needs. Unfortunately, most research says that the real only way to change your set point is by exercise. Water aerobics is a great thing. Low impact and great resistance. If you can increase the number of minutes in the pool by even 2-3 more minutes each time you go, that would be helpful.

Again, the best way to affect your set point is by exercise but also by not restricting your caloric intake too much and just eating a healthy well balanced diet.
Well I thought I would share this info... in case you all hadn't seen it before.......

Renita
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #133  

My body wants to stay at 137. It has wanted that since I was 30.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #134  
klc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaV View Post
Oh...and Kathy, my pot roast didn't have beets. I had corn.

Carrie, I'd complain about not getting the pot roast. I couldn't eat it all. My husband finished it for me!
Sorry for the unclear post. I didn't have beets with mine either, just pointing out that there were only 2 veggies in the universe that I thought I didn't like and one of them came on the dish (asparigus). But I thoroughly enjoyed the asparigus! Go figure.
-Kathy
Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #135  

Grace, it sounds like a good recipe to me! And obviously, it is working for you.
I'm very motivated this week. I ran 5 miles this morning...so, I'm hoping that I have a good week!
Closed Thread