Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 08:15 PM   #1  

Unhappy I need help!

It has been brought to my attention that I have a problem with compulsive overeating. I don't know what to do!. I eat constantly. Even when I'm not hungry. I eat until I feel sick! I wake up thinking about food. I go to bed at night thinking about what I will eat the next day. I can't take this anymore. I feel disgusting. I'm not even comfortable in my own skin. If there is anyone out htere who can relate or offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #2  

Wow - your posting could be my posting. This is my first time at this sight and this is EXACTLY why I need help and support with losing weight.

I too am a compulsive eater. I'm embarrassed to admit that I just finished eating a bowl a cheese puffs before I sat down to look for a web site for help.

I have just started going to therapy for my food obsession and despression problems. I am going to go to my first OverEaters Anonnymous meeting next week. I'm hoping that therapy and a support group will help me fight this fight with food.

I - like you- think about food constantly. I plan out my day around what I feel like eating. I eat in secret. I eat until I feel stuffed and then continue eating anyway. I feel guilty, but can't stop myself from putting food in my mouth. When I feel sad, I eat to make myself feel better and then feel awful about what I've consumed. I am 36 years old, 5'5" and currently weigh in at 242 lbs. - 100 pounds over weight.

It took a long time to get like this and I know it's going to take a long time to get better. My therapist tells me I need to get at the root of why I eat and only then will I begin to change my lifestyle and eating habits. I don't know if you can afford therapy, but maybe, like me, you should look into Overeaters Anonnymous and get the support you need.

You are not alone! I know the sadness and anger and helplessness you feel. I know how it feels to be fat and not like yourself. I know how hard it was for you to even type what you did in your message and admit that you have a problem.

Take a look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are are a valuable, wonderful, one of a kind person! Hang in there!! Email me anytime for support. I could use some myself!
[email protected]
Old 01-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

Hi ladies,

Figured I jumped in here and say "hi"

My name is Chrissy and I'm 35 years old. I think I'm probably about 155 pounds over my ideal weight. WOW...that's alot isn't it.

I am also a compulsive overeater. Odd thing is I've just figured this out. It was like a lightbulb went off when I finally sat down the other day and started to read this book that I ordered about two years ago...yea I procrastinate too. I get through 3 of the chapters and thought oh my goodness this is it...this is what I have...I do this. Oddly enough it makes me feel better just to know what's wrong with me and that it has an actual name...LOL

I've never been to an OA meeting. I think I might look and see if they have a web site and maybe take a look for a meeting in my area. I'm on a tight budget and wont be able to afford any sort of due's so hopefully it's either free or nearly free.

Blessings to all, ChrissyB
Old 01-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #4  

Default Thinking about you. . .

Hey DragstripBrat - I was thinking about you this morning and thought I'd post a "Good Morning" note.

Read your journal entry - good for you starting on your new program! Keep your chin up and just take it day by day. I'm here for support if you need it. Feel free to email me too!

Johnnie
Old 01-11-2003, 11:39 PM   #5  

Default Me too.

You are not alone in your control issues. I eat all the time. I think I am bored, but I'm too tired to find something else to do but eat. Kids make it very difficult to diet. I have a 2yr old and an 8 yr old. I am glad to here you are seeking support. Let me know how it is going for you.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:00 PM   #6  

I have had and have again all the same isssues you are talking about. I have finally clearly and totally understand, after years of therapy, and dieting and the whole bit. OA and all the rest that their are certain things I can never have in my body. Sugar is one of them. caffein, drugs, white flour, cigarettes, alcohol are the rest. now I am back on sugar, and my life is worthless, or so it feels. And I can't stop at this time. My eating is totally compulsive. I went away to a yoga center for a cleansing fast on Halloween, stopped eating sugar (and all the rest) I felt totally balanced and happy. Weight was falling off me life was good. Christmas I endulged in Baileys and now I can't stop craving sugar and everything other food. I am totally out of balance. I don't want to go out, my clothes don't fit. I feel fat and ugly. I am 53 years old, and feel old. Without sugar I am young and vibrant. Sugar is an evil cursed food and I want some now. Woe is me.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:07 PM   #7  

Default Clean House!

Devi - to get back on the no sugar wagon maybe you should clean house. By that I mean, go through everything - pantry, fridge, freezer, cabinets and get EVERYTHING that has sugar OUT!

I sent all the junkie stuff to work with my husband or just threw it away. If it's not around, I can't slip and indulge! If you can, do what I did and have someone else do the shopping for a week or so, so you cannot 'accidentally' put anything sugary in your cart. Load up on lots of fresh veggies, fruit, soy and other things that you can have and make a fresh start!

I have very little self control and if I feel like I'm starting to crave food, I talk to my hubby or best friend. It's SO hard admitting "I really want chocolate. I feel like I'm gonna cry!" when I did so much of my bingeing in secret, but I know I can't do this on my own. I just need all the support I can get to make these changes to get healthy!

Reach out and get what you need to get you back on track Devi. I know you can do it!! You deserve to feel good!!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:03 AM   #8  

OA Meetings are free. They are self-supporting so they pass a basket at the meeting. If you want to and are able to give you can or if you can't, you don't have to. There are no dues, etc. They use OA materials and the AA Big Book plus AA materials. We are not Alcoholics but have the same compulsive nature that they have except our obsession is with Food or certain foods. You can find the information by typing Overeaters Anonymous into your browser. That should take you to their site, and you can look up Meetings in your area.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:20 PM   #9  

Hi All...

I am an OVEREATER...compulsive eater....obssesive eater...however you choose to label it! Honestly, and I can't say that I've finished the book or that I've had a lot of practice with the teqnique but I suggest that you try reading "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies...Freeing yourself from Weight and Food Obssession" by Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol M. Hunter. This is not a weight loss/diet book. This book is a "self-help", and I sort of cringe at that notion, type of book. It helped me gain some insight on why I overeat and what I can do overcome it. Although I am still overeating, I am getting better at it and that is what counts. Although I did do it today and I feel like S*it! But I will save that for a new thread!

Hope this can help.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:05 PM   #10  
~ I Know I Can ~

Default OA

After reading through everyone's post's here, I realize how similar your stories are to mine.

As a child, I was always the "hungry" one. If someone had left overs, you bet I'd want them! I could be stuffed full with a complete dinner, dessert, and still want more!

My stomache would be saying "NO MORE! NO MORE!" But in my mind, I just HAD TO HAVE that piece of cake, or cookie. And belive me you, I made room for it. Even if I was on the verge of "tossing my cookies" - I'd still eat.

I've done this all my life. I know I'm a Compulisive Over Eater. I've never been to therapy for this, or tried to get any help. I guess I never thought I needed any.

In a few more days, I will be starting my program at the medical weight loss clinic, and I think I am worrying about "Over Eating" on my plan. I've tried my own diets before, and I would stick to them for a few days, but all of a sudden, not even thinking, I'd go to the fridge, grab a half gallon of ice cream, and eat half or almost all of it!

Then as soon as my stomache would say I was full, I'd look down and realize what I did. I'd blow my diet, and then feel bad about it...so I'd give up.

When I was younger and went to the medical weight loss clinic, I did not do this, so I am going to try my hardest not to do it this time.

So I just wanted to say that I completely understand what all of you are going through, and if you EVER need anyone to talk with, I am always around. Supporting each other is the best thing that we can do. It's always nice having a friend who understands

Thanks for reading,
~ Kari ~
[email protected]
Old 04-05-2003, 10:26 AM   #11  
friend in need

Hi there,

My heart breaks when I read your post. I just want to tell you that we all feel your pain and understand the "disease" because we're all in the same boat. In reading through the posts, I noticed there is another thing we all seem to have in common. We all need someone to talk to and someone to listen that can relate. When you feel the urge to hit that half gallon of ice cream, maybe you could head for the computer instead. Read some posts, send some replies, talk to some friends and it might get you through. Also, as others have said, I too know that the longer you can avoid sugar the less you will miss it. Breaking bad habits is extremely tough the first few weeks, but it truly does get easier.... Hang in there. Be strong. You're worth it!
Closed Thread