Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #16  

Height: 5'8.5"

While I am not at all a fan of low carb diets and certainly not weight loss supplements, I would also swear by the fruit and veggie thing, as well as water, high fiber and proteins. I think it does make a difference what your calories are and not just how many of them you eat. Works for me anyway!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by start8
But why wouldn't cold ice tea or diet coke work the same as cold water? It's raised your metabolism because your body is having to warm the water but couldn't the same be said for anything cold?
I can't say for sure whether it would work or not, but coke is full of chemicals, artificial sweeteners and other assorted garbage. IMO it causes you to GAIN weight; not lose it. And no I can't back that up scientifically LOL
Old 04-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #18  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

Low carb works for people who have insulin resistance issues... some people tend to be carb sensitive... but its up to each individual to decide what plan they prefer... I have never been able to lose on a low fat diet..
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 238/238/185

Height: 5'9

A friend of mine has borderline high blood pressure. Her blood pressure went up and her doctor asked her about her diet. She started drinking green tea. He told her that people with blood pressure issues should not drink green tea. Has anyone heard this? Her blood pressure did go down when she stopped.
channning102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #20  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

There have been studys that say that diet drinks actually cause weight gain, why or how I dont know. I dont drink any soda. Too much sugar and artifical mumbo jumbo for me. Anyways, I can tell you how high fiber can

Fiber bulks in the intestines and actually traps fat and then you poop it out. This is laymans terms actually. I am a firm believer in water, fiber, and protein. It has worked for me.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
Fiber bulks in the intestines and actually traps fat and then you poop it out. This is laymans terms actually. I am a firm believer in water, fiber, and protein. It has worked for me.
Works for me too!!! I agree! I have also been taking Repo Girl's suggestion and adding the juice and pulp from one fresh lemon to 32 oz of hot tap water and "downing" that every morning... wow it even feels soothing to my system and also takes away the hunger! I am sold on the idea!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-18-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #22  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
There have been studys that say that diet drinks actually cause weight gain, why or how I dont know.
Awww, they're crazy.

lol

I think it was some bizarre theory that aspartame actually increases hunger. Or some other crazy story about aspartame causing your fat cells to grow bigger, who knows!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #23  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

As for the cold water claim

I read in a magazine that was in fact true, but the amount of calories you're burning are so miniscule that you shouldn't even bother with worrying about them. Just concentrate on the fact that you're consuming water instead of soda, or a high calorie drink.
Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I think it was some bizarre theory that aspartame actually increases hunger.
Well we all decide for ourselves. But I don't think it is bizarre at all. I am totally convinced aspertame, etc., are addictive, cause weight gain, and increase food cravings. Furthermore, I doubt very much that would be any big surprise to the companies that promote it LOL. The stuff is poisin IMO. And yes that IS just my opinion!!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #25  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Well we all decide for ourselves. But I don't think it is bizarre at all. I am totally convinced aspertame, etc., are addictive, cause weight gain, and increase food cravings. Furthermore, I doubt very much that would be any big surprise to the companies that promote it LOL. The stuff is poisin IMO. And yes that IS just my opinion!!
Hasn't bothered me any and I drink it all the time
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #26  

Go for it, then! I did an extensive Internet research study on it at the challenge of a friend who had done the same... and since then won't touch the stuff! But hey, if you don't think it is hurting you, go for it!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I take green tea capsules as part of my vitamin regimine in the morning. I can't stand the taste of green tea, but I want to reap at least part of the benefits from it.

I'm interested in high fiber foods. I've been thinking so much about calories and even carbs that I haven't thought about fiber much....what are some high fiber foods?

I count calories and try to watch the amount of crap I eat ( trying to decrease that.). I'm also drinking more water, which takes my diet coke habit from 6-7 cans a day to 1.5... I started drinking more water because of some acne and skin issues. I figured that even if water doesnt' clear my skin up, it's not like it's a bad habit to get into!

As for aspartame, I do use it, mainly in coffee, but I do not feel that the amount is significant enough to cause any issues with me, personally...
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #28  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Misti about the artificial sweeterners being poison. After hearing a few years ago that aspartame turns into formaldehyde in your brain, I switched to Splenda. It's made from sugar, but I recently read some negative things about Splenda concerning the fact that the sugar has to be cooked in a soup of tolulene, benzyl and acetone among other chemicals in order to remove the calories. I don't use artificial sweeteners any more.

I also heard that it's the carbonation in sodas, both diet and regular, that cause you to gain weight. I know they are not good for your skin at all.
Take care of yourself.

Wishing You The Best
Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #29  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I drink green tea. I heard that it's the antioxidants in it that helps with the weight loss. I drink the decaffeinated kind.

Wishing You The Best
Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #30  

I still use small amounts of Splenda too in my coffee syrup but I have cut waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back on how much I drink! Just haven't wanted to give that one up LOL. After all I am in Seattle LOL, we do love our coffee!