Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/270/200

Height: 6'1"

Default Starting a journey

Just getting started again. I had tried losing weight during high school with some promise (from 300 to 275) of eventually being a bit healthier... That never really paned out back then.
So now I'm trying again, I've somehow maintained my weight of 275 for all these years of junk food and soda but I rather be better than that. Not just for me but for my loved ones as well. As of two weeks ago I've already stopped drinking coke for one reason alone. I had just started going to the chiropractor and had felt great for a day or so... then after drinking a bottle of coke the amount of pain that shot up my neck and the ache that it caused finally managed to break me from it.

I know I can do better than I've been doing. All I need is a little support and a push in the right direction.
Heavy Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Break the old routines, and create new ones. When you are committed to the change, it does establish itself as the new normal.

The main thing that held me back, was preconceived notions of how hard it would be to prepare my own meals (versus microwaving them from a box). Secondarily was the misunderstanding that diets require hunger pangs and sleep deprivation. But it does not need to be that hard. Losing a little bit each week does add up over time. It does not need to be a "race".

I can honestly say that I am enjoying a better diet. I don't get the urge to snack as quickly as I used to. And it's cheaper!!

Last edited by darway; 04-02-2011 at 11:05 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Bon Voyage on your new journey, Heavy Nerd.

May you avoid the snakes and quickly climb right out of the inevitable pit holes. They're just holes - not quicksand.

Have you chosen your eating plan and exercise plan yet? There are many good options and a bunch of those have their own support threads here on 3FC.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #4  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Time to become a foodie instead ! No where is it written that you can't eat like a king and maintain a healthy fulfilling relationship with said food, mind and body, embrace your love for food but eat only the very best life has to offer, forsake the garbage that is shovelled at us from big industry.

Oh yeah count calories like a too.

Start at the absolute bottom, strip away the vestiges of all negativity and plant the roots of this life you want/ need/ desire. Make it happen man.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/270/200

Started counting calories this month. Cut out soda completely (I was up to about 2-3 2 liters a day, its a wonder I hovered around 290-270) Basically just started doing what i should have been doing to begin with. Moderation.
Heavy Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Welcome Heavy Nerd... this place is very helpful, man...its got a lot of good information and inspiration...
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I understand the notion of discovering moderation . . . many, many pounds later, LOL.

Soda, and all liquid calories for that matter, can be deadly. There's some published evidence that they have no impact on our hunger triggering mechanisms, so that drinking 1000 calories of soda doesn't slow down chomping down the burgers.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/220/189

I started about the same weight as you (289). I have been on my journey since Jan 1, 2011. As of today, I am down 54 pounds. Weighing in at 235 this morning. It is doable. Just get moving, and count calories and gradually increase your workout intensity. I have been doing mainly cardio, but have been doing light weight to maintain the muscle I already had. I have to lose 26 more to get to my goal weight.
crainjo is offline   Reply With Quote