Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #16  

Good afternoon,
Lynn, I think that is a great way to start off, congratulations on the weight loss I know how you feel, I want to lose quicker too, but eventually, if we stick with it, we will end up where we want to be. It just might take a little longer than we planned on.
I don't know any other way to move the tracker than what Aleka and Chocolatecat has said. In fact, you helped me, I've never used the quick link before

Chocolatecat, or may I call you Cat for short? Sometimes, the best plan is to do what you think you can stick with. Are you counting your carbs or just eating less? My DH eats about a quart of regular ice cream everyday. He never seems to gain much weight. He's not exactly skinny, but he's not that over weight either. If he eats right for a few days and exercises, he will lose 5 lbs. I eat 1/2 cup of ice cream and I pay for a month trying to exercise that off

I made an excellent soup for supper. Beef, wine and some low carb veggies. Very delicious, low carb and seems fairly low fat too. If you want the recipe, let me know.

Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 01-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #17  

no im not counting carbs.. i dont want to feel as if im on a diet haahahahahaha

so ill just eat low carb bread once a day..half a regular bagel as a snack with cheese..then very little carbs for dinner (like tonight i had about 1/4 cup or rice) although i do indulge in half reg/half diet coke with dinner..

being that's it so cold i have been having coffee with splenda..hopefully that wont affect my weight loss..

my weakness is CHOCOLATE!!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #18  

Good morning everyone,

My ILs are coming for a visit later this morning so got to get the house straightened up a bit before they get here. Thankfully I vacuumed just a few days ago.

Chocolatecatz, your low carb diet sounds good. I have a cousin who has lost 40 lbs. doing her own low carb WOE. In the beginning she ate a lot of Atkins products, but I don't know if she still does. She had me try some and they aren't bad at all. Have you used any of his products? There seems to be mixed signals about coffee. Some people believe it hinders weight loss and there have been articles that say the caffiene in coffee speeds up your metabolism. I didn't know about the quink links either, thanks for the info.

Nikki, your soup sounds delicious. Yes, I would love the recipe. DH & I love beef soup. This would be something I could make and send with him to work, as soup is the only thing he likes to take with him. Did you make it on the stove or in a slow cooker? One year, in the early 80's, DH & I came to FL just after Christmas to visit my late aunt. They were having awfully cold temps. We drove by strawberry fields and all you could see were strawberries covered in ice. That was a very bad year. We haven't heard anything about crops, other than the ones destroyed by the hurricanes.

Lynn, I hope you're still not disappointed about the 6 lbs. That is really fantastic. Have you gotten measured yet? With the exercising you've been doing at Curves and at home, you may have lost more inches than pounds. Speaking of which, I have Leslie's book. It's a walking program. It's outlined a little different than the magazine article. There is even a chapter for people who power walk., which is my goal. She doesn't have an eating plan because she feels that once you are exercising you automatically start making better choices and eating less.

Anne, that's great SS is working for you and your family. There is a recipe on the box of oatmeal I use, for oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm going to make some, but tweak it a little bit. The recipe calls for white flour and real maple syrup, but I'm going to use white whole wheat flour and SF maple syrup. Are you still in a deep freeze?

Hope you all have a good day.
Aleka
Old 01-25-2005, 08:00 AM   #19  

Morning All: Just a quick post before we leave for the city. Thanks to you all I think I have changed my tracker. It is a beautiful day here. Bright and sunny although they are calling for snow later. Hope we are back by then. In case we are held up my friend will come in and walk the dog. My appointments are 11:50 and 1 so should be back by 3, all going well. That soup sounds good for when I get off induction next weekNikki, and we love soup. Well must go and get the hot rollers going, yalk to you later.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #20  

Morning everyone!!!!!

ALEKA I've tried the Atkins shakes but I think they are higher in carbs than the ones I use from EAS (French Vanilla only has 2 total carbs).

My sister gave me a bread mix which I haven't tried yet. She also gave me a can of his baking mix, which I haven't tried yet either.

I did try the peanut butter cups (which I think are Atkins) a while back but I found myself eating just as much of those as regular chocolate, so I just decided to limit chocolate overall.

That's great on her weight loss. I can't wait to reach 40lbs. It's tough!

NIKKI I'd like the SOUP RECIPE too. I pm'd you for it last night.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon,
DH was on the computer most of the morning. If he ever retires, we will have to have 2 computers, I was doing housework all morning trying to keep busy until he logged off. A cleaner house, but I'm pooped

Here's the soup recipe, it's really good. I made it on top of the stove, then transferred to a slow cooker, we weren't ready to eat when the soup was ready. It stayed very nicely for several hours. I made it with the noodles, but the broth is what really makes the soup and I know that mushrooms would taste as good and save some carbs and calories. If you want to stretch it to save even more carbs and calories, add another can or two of broth and 1 more cup of wine.

Beef and Wine Soup
2 tbsp butter (I used 1 tbs of olive oil)
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped (Aleka, you must use the whole clove , now come on it won't hurt )
3 carrots, chopped (omit if you aren't eating carrots)
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
3 cans condensed beef broth
1 cup wine (I used merlot)
2 cups tomato juice
2 cups diced cooked beef (I used 1 1/2 lbs and I think that was close)
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz of button mushrooms sliced or left whole if small ----or, if your not watching the carbs 8 oz thick egg noodles

In a large pot, saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery in butter or oil until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in broth, wine, tomato juice and beef. Simmer covered for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, season with salt and pepper.
Add mushrooms or noodles and cook until tender.

I've tried lots of those low carb products. Some are better than others. I thought that baking mix was horrible. The Atkins Mint Bar is my favorite. I can't eat just one and be happy, I have to eat the entire box. So, I can't have it in the house.

Cat, I didn't know you'd PM me until I read the post. I usually get an email when that happens.

Well, got lots to catch up on, on the computer, talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #22  

Good morning everyone,

Nikki, thank you for posting the recipe. I've printed it out. I got a good chuckle out of the garlic. I can make the soup while DH is at work, put the garlic in, and he wouldn't even know it.

Chocolatecatz, it is hard to resist chocolate, or anything sweet. Usually they put malitol in sugar free candies and if you eat too much of it, it can have a laxitive effect. I ate too many sugar free jelly beans one day. I did make some muffins out of one of the Atkins mixes, can't remember which one, though. It really was very good.

Lynn, how did all your tests go yesterday? Hope you got back home early as you had hoped.

Anne, how are things going with you? I forgot to ask yesterday. Did you make SS pizza? If so, how was it?

Have a great day everyone.
Aleka
Old 01-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #23  

Good morning All: Well we escaped another winter storm but I suspect Anne had fun getting to work this morning. There is now something coming off Georgian Bay so as we are on the bay we won't escape that!!!! Got up this am and felt really good so by 8:30 I had made a chicken vegetable soup and a egg breakfast to cut up. This one I did Italian to change the flavors a bit. I really like getting up and breakfast is as easy to prepare as toast. I will go to Curves as usual around noon. I printed the recipe Nikki, It does look good. I use garlic in everything Ali, I have it in powder, garlic salt, minced in a jar, pureed in a jar and of coarse cloves. DH is actually starting to like it You have been talking about shakes and I don't think I told you I HATE the Curves shakes. I paid $26.95 plus GST so am drinking it for the first phaze but will not buy anymore. I much prefer my own that I make with frozen fruit 1% or skim milk and splenda.Well must be going so will talk later.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #24  

Good afternoon,
The site is slow and it took awhile for me to be able to reply.

I have gained a pound. I know that happens, but darn, I hate when it does. I think I'm eating too much bread, even though I'm staying within my points range. I've cut down on my exercise too, so that might be part of it. I'm feeling really tired this week and it's hard to make myself do anything. Anyway, I plan on eating less carbs, more veggies and fruit and to step up my exercise tomorrow.

Lynn, I hated that shake too. I made a special trip to Curves to buy it after I read the book. He said in the book something like- it tasted as good as a real ice cream shake. He must not be drinking the kind of shakes I do.

I was trying to think of low carb convience foods I do like. I still eat Life Choice frozen dinners and Carb Options soup from Walmart. I like them both and they fit into my diet plan now just as well. They taste like real food and the portions are big.

It's a cold, grey day here. Hope you don't get a real bad storm, Lynn. I'm sure ready for spring time, bet you are too.

Later, Nikki
Old 01-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #25  

Morning all!!

Trying not to panic here.

Feeling a bit discouraged. The scale has been inching up and not down!! Don't know what's happening.

Could be because I'm approaching that time of month..CURSES.....but I want it to go down.

So, I think I'll eliminate my half bagel with cheese snack in the afternoon and replace it with one slice of low carb bread w/ cheese and eliminate my low carb bread sandwich. Maybe that will show the scale go down again.

Exercise has never been a problem..I've exercised these past three days and will do some today as well.

WOOHOOOO!!!! Stay positive!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #26  

Hi Guys:
Lynn, I am getting majorly p.o.'d with this weather. Its all I can do to
creep along and not fall on my

Nikki, I bet watching the carbs and doing points would be a fantastic combination. I have cut out all eating after dinner. I love to eat in the
evening but it makes sense to me its not a good plan. Don't worry about
the pound, probably hormonal

Cat, hormones will make the weight fluctuate no doubt about it. I always
found that happend to me mid cycle. One of the best ways I know to get
the scales going down is to drink lots of water. It acts as a natural
diuretic (spelling?).

Aleka, I was in GNC yesterday and I bought 7 bottles of Atkins syrup.
They have reduced it to clear and were selling it for $1.06 I love it on
Suzannes pancakes. I haven't tryed the pizza yet, maybe on Sunday.
Talk to you all later.
Anne.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #27  

Good morning,
ARRRGGGHHHH! Gained another pound this morning. What a kick in the butt that was. I decided it was time to get back to stepping up my exercise, no matter how tired or how much I didn't want to (whining does no good). So, I worked out with a tape I've had for years, that uses aerobics with light hand weights. That has gotten too easy. It use to be, after doing it for 15 minutes, I'd be leaning against the wall, panting, now, I'm barely breaking a sweat. Followed that with WATP 3 mile walk. That was more of a challenge, but I'm bored silly with it. Went to Walmart and bought the Body for Life book. I decided to start to work out with weights seriously now. Also, I ordered an exercie ball and video that goes with it, called Core Secrets. I have to get some new things to do.

Anne, I'm not exactly counting carbs, but, I know that I've been eating way too much toast with peanut butter and jelly. So, I decided I better start eating more fresh fruits and vegetables with whole grain cereal instead. That p&J on toast is addiciting and I've been putting way more on the toast than I should.

Cat, I usually gain 5 lbs every time it's my TOM. But, you might be right about the bagel and cheese. I won't cut back on my calories too much, just replace some of the carbs and the cheese with some other things. When I was following a strict low carb diet, I found the cheese and cream was what really messed me up, causing unwanted weight gain. Maybe increase your protein with meat and egg substitutions?

Today is my oldest DD's birthday, she's 27. I can hardly believe my baby is that old. Wow, time goes by quickly. Except when they were teens, then it dragged so slowly, I thought they were never going to grow up.

Lynn and Aleka, hope your having good days. Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 01-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #28  

Good morning..almost afternoon,

Brought Lacee to the Vets early this morning to have her teeth cleaned. The Vet is supposed to call me between noon and 2:00 pm, then I can go and pick her up between 4:00 pm & 5:00 pm. As you can probably guess, I'll be there at 4:00 pm. The girl at the desk explained the Vet had 4 surgeries to do today and as we were leaving 3 more people brought their dogs in. It's really lonesome here without the dog. Notice I didn't say DH??

Cat, I would say that your TOM is the cause of your weight gain. Anne had a good idea about drinking a lot of water. If you want to lower your carbs even more, here is a good satisfying snack. Take a slice or two of turkey lunch meat, spread some cream cheese or put a regular slice of cheese on the meat, roll them up and eat. I haven't tried the cream cheese with any other lunch meat, so don't know how it would go. This really stays with you until your next meal.

Anne, I've never tried any of Atkins syrup. Let me know how it is. I find Davinci sugar free vanilla syrup at Walmart. I really like that on oatmeal. Sorry about all your cold weather. I remember it so well. I know what you mean about being afraid to fall on your What if you buy some of those things that slip over your boots or shoes so that you can walk on slippery surfaces? I bought DH a pair of those the Christmas before last so that he could walk down to the mailbox on our slippery road.

Nikki, if you're thinking of doing more low carb, why not look into the WW Core program? Some of the posts I've seen, a lot of people are counting points and eating Core foods. I love those Life Choice frozen dinners. They are my favorite. I usually eat the turkey and meatloaf and I can't get over how filling they are compared to Lean Cuisine or WW, and they have about the same amt. of calories. Those Carb Options soup are really good too. Our favorite is the South West Chicken, (or something like that). Don't worry about the lb. you gained.

Lynn, how was Curves yesterday? Your chicken vegetable soup sounds yummy.

Have a great afternoon.
Ali
Old 01-27-2005, 12:15 PM   #29  

Nikki, we were posting at the same time. A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DD
Old 01-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #30  

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I thought I did great yesterday drinking 10 cups of water..Guess I'll go for 12 today.

Tonight's dinner is meatballs and pasts (although no pasta for me) and I'm making atkins bread (my sister gave me a mix), and spinach salad.