Old 05-13-2004, 11:25 AM   #16  

I did a search on ground squirrels and found out that they are similar to chipmunks, but not exactly the same. I think the ground squirrels are smaller and there are so many varieties of them, you won't believe it. The ones we have here have brown, white and black stripes running down their backs and some white spots in the black. We have chipmunks here too as well as red squirrels, but I don't remember seeing them. The squirrels that I call brown are actually known as grey squirrels. Hmmm, learn something new everyday.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:18 AM   #17  

Talking

A good Friday morning to you

It was like fall out yesterday. We're supposed to be getting warmer today and they say it's to be a fantastic weekend. I only hope they're right.

lynn, I had never heard of using sunbloc as a moisturizer before until that story came on. I got a little burn on my chest where my blouse was open and my tank top ended.

nikki, that was really great of you to do a search on chipmunks and squirrels. We love watching the antics of the squirrels trying to get at our birdfeeders. The lengths they will go to getting to the food.

ANNE, hope your day will be a good one.

Enjoy your Friday everyone.
Aleka
Old 05-14-2004, 07:32 AM   #18  

Hi,
It's like fall here too, 42 degrees, gray and windy. Lynn, what you said about the depleted ozone, struck me as ironic. I was sitting in the car the other day and I thought, the sun seems hotter. I know it gets hotter in the summer, but I felt like I was burning and I'd only sat there a few minutes. I tried using that fake tan stuff. It is better than it use to be, I was brown instead of orange. But you have to keep putting it on every couple of days and it takes forever for me to do it. Plus, my skin felt like I was painted. It was dry and just felt like I was inside of a shell. No amount of moisturizer made me feel better. On my face, it didn't last at all, as the facial products I use exfoliate my skin every time I use them, so it never even stayed there. Anyway, I let it go and now I look spotted all over. I have the weirdest looking feet, big patches of brown, with some patches of white. I give up, I'm white as snow and I'll just have to be happy with it

DH worked in the garage yesterday, he's still trying to fix up his old chevy truck, it'll take years and I hope it's done before the price of gas makes it too expensive to drive that old gas guzzler. I worked on my fish tanks and I think I would like to get a big one as my birthday present from DH. The little 5 gallon I have is getting crowded as the fish are all growing.

Hope your all doing ok and that your weather gets better. Aleka, we can hope for a nice weekend, things change in just a few hours. Nikki
Old 05-14-2004, 04:00 PM   #19  

Hi Everyone: Very hot today, plus it is very windy. I bet a storm is blowing in from the west. It is amazing how hot the sun is coming though the car window. I never sit in the sun wear a 30 sunscreen as a moisturizer and for the second day in a row I am burnt. I have to go to Dr. on Tuesday and I know there will be a comment about the sun. The only other thing I can think of is my medications. Got some more work done today but were unable to do outside work due to high winds right at us. The combination of sun and wind would really make me burn. We are leaving here on Sunday morning to go to step-father's for his birthday. Dh is afraid that the dog will get upset with more changes. I said I would go on my own but he insisted he is coming with me. There was a chemical spill in the area of the train to Toronto and they had to evacuate the area last night. DD got caught on a train and couldn't get to her stop. Her boyfriend got a stop in Mississauga and picked up DD and a friend and drove them to their cars. She got home at 8:30. That makes for a long day when she is on the train between 6:30 and 6:45. Well hope you all have a good day. Our American friends have finally arrived for the season so we are all off to friends for a "Happy Hour" to catch up. Later
Old 05-15-2004, 05:12 AM   #20  

Happy Saturday all:
Aleka, I had to smile reading your post. Our squirrels do get into the bird
feeders. A couple of summers ago my dad rented this trap and caught
over 100 squirrels during the course of that summer.
He used to drive the little guys to Centennial Park a few miles aways from
our house and set them free over there Personally I think they used
to find their little ways back here

Nikki, it is absoulutely getting hotter. My DH and I have noticed even on
coolish days, if the sun is blazing we are roasting. Our enviroment has
really suffered this last decade or two

My dad is really having a hard time. My sister came down last night and I
could tell how worried she is. The oxygen does not seem to be helping dad
the way you would figure. He is really, really upset. His ankle are very
swollen as well. I am wondering if he has fluid in his lungs because he is
having such difficulty with his breathing I think if he doesn't improve
soon, he should be reassessed to see whats up. The doctor took him off his
water pill because his potassium level was dangerously low. Its one of those
situations.......I also wonder about that old heart of his. All these years under the strain of lung disease. I know heart failure can cause swollen feet.
One of aunts that is a nurse told him to take two of his water pills and a big
glass of orange juice. He thought about it and did it. We will see what
happens today.

Hi Lynn, I think we are in for a lovely weekend! It was so smoggy downtown
these last couple of days. Personally I am glad it will be a tad cooler today
and Sunday.

Later guys.
Anne
Old 05-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #21  

Smile

Hi,

I'm up early. Lacee woke me up around 4:00 am and I just couldn't get back to sleep. It was so warm last night that we slept with the bedroom windows wide open and she's not used to the night sounds.

We are having nice warm weather too. I really haven't noticed the sun being hotter than usual. But the other day I got in my car after it had been sitting in a parking lot for quite a few hrs., I could barely touch the steering wheel it was so hot. I had never experienced that before.

I have noticed that our Lilac bushes are starting to bloom. They are right outside our bedroom window and they smell sooo nice.

ANNE, sorry to hear that your Dad is not doing well. I hope that the water pills and OJ did the trick for him and that he is feeling a lot better today. I liked your story about your Dad trapping all those squirrels and letting them go. Are you sure it wasn't that same squirrel he kept trapping over and over?

lynn, what a horrible experience your DD had. But, glad that everything turned out ok. That did make for a long day. I just realized you asked how long the cottage was in my family and I forgot to answer you. My parents built it in 1958, and that's 45 yrs. of my life. So, it was an awfully difficult thing to do, but I just couldn't afford the property tax on it anymore. Hope you had a wonderful visit with your friends.

nikki, have you ever used the tan towels that are sold on HSN? I bought some a few years ago, but never used them. I was tempted to try the sunless lotion that Tony Braxton sells (the tony-tail lady) but figured I never used the tan towels and would probably not use the lotion either. Hope your warm weather holds out for the weekend. It looks as though our warm weather is going to hang in there.

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.
Aleka
Old 05-15-2004, 10:09 AM   #22  

Hi,
Lynn, I bet it is your medication that is making you burn. I use a 15 spf and I don't burn. I do think the ozone layer is worse, but not that much worse. Get a higher spf, wear hats and long sleeves and talk to your Dr.

Anne, your poor dad. Sounds like he should be evaluated again, I bet your right about the fluid.

Aleka, I tried the tan towels a few years ago and saw very little difference in my color. Only a little streaking over my bones on my ankles. I just decided it's more trouble than it's worth. The main reason I was tanning, was because the skin on my arms is starting to look pretty loose from this weight lose (or age ), so thought some color would help to make it less noticable. I hate to wear short sleeves, but it's so hot and humid in the summer here, it's almost impossible not to. Anyway, the tan just made me look like my skin was old leather, not the effect I was going for. If I win the lottery, I'm getting a whole body lift

Got to run. DD and I are going to Petco and the garden center today. I am looking for things for the aquariums and a pump for my fountain. It's suppose to warm up some. Last night it frosted in some places just a little north of here, fortunately, we didn't get any. Nikki
Old 05-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #23  

Morning Everyone: Anne there are potassium suppliments available out there. Your Dad needs to go to his Dr. again, poor soul, I can't imagine the state of panic I would be in if I couldn't breathe. Your are probabley right about my meds. Nikki, I will be at the Dr.'s on tuesday. Mya had me up early also Aleka, I walked her and came back and turned on a movie. Iwas falling asleep sitting up so went back to bed and didn't get up untill 10:30!!!! I can't remember the last time I was in bed that late. Well time to get on with the day, will be back later
Old 05-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #24  

I'll start a new thread