Old 07-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #1  

Default Just Started Cont.

I hope you guys don't mind that I did this.. that other one was getting long. Anyway...

Nicole, good for you for realizing it was just one day and that you can get back on today! I know that when I'm hung over I'll eat anything that I think will make me feel better (grease!).

I lost a pound and a half last week. So I've been on induction for 3 weeks now and have decided to go at least another week. I still have so much weight to lose, and I'm not really sick of what I'm eating yet. Plus, I feel like I am finally getting the hang of it!

Golfergirl, I hope you had fun in Vegas and won lots of money! My best friend went to Vegas last weekend also and she went out to buy new shorts for the trip because she heard how hot it was there! She was saying how awful it is that all shorts now are so short! She's skinny so she doesn't know just how awful it is!!

Yeah, I definitely prefer to exercise outside. Florida is just TOO hot in the summer. Even after the sun goes down it's still so humid that it feels like its in the 90's. I guess the tradeoff is, the winter is really nice. I just moved here so I have to try to think of things to like about it!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:51 PM   #2  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Let me tell ya - I was HAPPY to get back on track. DH was as well. Being "off" didn't make me feel out of control or anything - we were't even like, "Ok as long as we're off - let's eat all the things we never eat." Yay.

Congratulations on your continuing weight loss! I don't even know where I am now!!!

Brandy
Old 07-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #3  

Hi everyone,
hope this it's o.k. to just start in on this link. I have just started the Atkins diet and I am a little nervous about it all. I know a lot of people are losing weight but I also understand that you can gain it all back as soon as you stop.
This worries me...
I am also a little confused as to how much veggies I can eat. Like many of you I am used to eating feilds of veggies daily and... well .. I kinda miss them. ( did I say that out loud)

I know, I know.. I should hate them after spending a lifetime tied to the busshel so to speak, but I find 3 cups a day too limiting...

What do you think of me eating more veggies... will I still lose..
have anyone else altered the program and succeded...
anyhow good to have someone to talk to about this.

Good luck lamby and Nicole...
flummy
Old 07-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #4  

Well...I had a great time in Vegas, I didn't gamble much, I was there for work so I didn't have much time to do so. Most of our training was going to the clubs at night so it was late nights!! I did good eating, I did eat bad, but I had roasted prans one night and veal the other, no bread, no pasta...a little bit of desert!!

I almost missed the plane on the way home because the line to get through the gate took over an hour to get through. I had 3 minutes to spare on the plane...don't like to cut it that close!!

Those stupid short shorts...I know...I have never been able to wear them, even when I was 130lbs I couldn't, my legs are big and muscular...and never get small enough to even fit into the shorts!! Same problem with pants right now. Oh well...

I was HORRIBLE yesterday! The receptionist had Snickers Popables at the desk...I just grabbed one because I forgot lunch and thought I would just grab one...it tasted so good and that broke me down and I had a few handfuls!!! I was bad... Since the weekend I have gained 1lb...so the weight has been staying pretty leveled off even though I haven't been as good. I need to get back on it to lose at least 20 more pounds...I need to start exercising again, I was going to last week and I just didn't!! I need to!!

How have you guys been doing?? Have you continued losing??
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #5  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Hi golfer! You did pretty well in Vegas! Good job. Now about those poppers - people ALWAYS seem to have those. I have convinced myself they taste like wax (they really do, I don't like them) and I now arm myself with low carb chocolate if I'm going to be around snackers. I don't even usually eat it but it's there if I want to and that makes me feel better. I need to start exercising myself. Things just keep coming up and of course - I need to just MAKE myself do it!

Flummy - three cups of veg is actually qutie a lot. I think a lot of people like veg because they feel like they can eat huge quantities without guilt. Is it the veg itself or the extra chewing?

As for gaining the weight back when you stop or go off - that's true of any diet. If you go back to doing what made you fat in the first place, YOU WILL GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK. That's why people are always talking about changing a lifestyle, not just diet.

Have you read the book?
Old 07-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #6  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Ok, I've been very good and on plan since Monday and I'm still not back in ketosis (my sticks aren't changing colors but I have The Taste in my mouth so - whatever that's about). I'm still losing the weight I re-gained over the weekend - I suspect it was largly fluid as even tho I haven't been drinking all that much I am spending a LOT of time making a run for the powder room.

I think I have one more pound to lose before I'm back where I was last Friday. I'm trying not to think of it as a whole week wasted but a lesson learned. I can't take "time off" and get away with it. And I'd WAY rather just stay on plan than lose the same weight more than once.

How are the rest of you doing?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:57 PM   #7  

Hi Nicole et. all
I have been now on the Atkins for 4 days.. it seems I haven't lost a lot of weight only a few pounds.
I didn't read the book but I read a lot about it on their web site.
I have always eaten a lot of veggies and I usually could eat 3 cups just for lunch. this leads to me having nothing for dinner but meats.

I am finding that I am not too hungry between meals but I don't know what to have for snacks if I can't have any extra vegetables.
I really want this to work... I feel like I am at the end of my rope with finding something that will help me lose this weight.

Any suggestions for snacking on low carbs...

good luck all..
shaunna
Old 07-24-2003, 11:51 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Hi Shaunna, what kind of veggies are you wanting to eat? I'm not sure what plan you are on, since I'm just butting in here but if you are on Atkin's induction, then you probably cannot swing 3 cups of veggies until induction is over. Atkins loved vegetables. He said he and his wife probably ate as many vegetables as a vegetarian would. You CAN swing a lot of lettuce in induciton, if that helps! Your best bet is to get the book of the plan you are following and read all of it. It really can mean the difference in success versus failure. Hope this helped!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:57 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Oh, I forgot about the snacking part. I have some Atkin's friendly snack ideas.

boiled eggs
deviled eggs (use Splenda if you sugar them)
roast beef rolled around cheese and mustard
string cheese
almonds
macadamia nuts
celery and peanut butter
chicken wings
cauliflower and ranch dressing

...just some off the top of my head!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:35 AM   #10  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Shaunna, I totally agree with Jennifer - read the book. The website is VERY helpful but the book will answer a lot of your questions as well as explain WHY everything works and give you tons of ideas for meals and snacks.

Also, maybe you could split your veggies between lunch and dinner? I think on induction it's 3 cups of salad but you can substitute one cup for another veg (the substituions are listed here http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html if that helps (can I like to that site from this one?). On days when I need a little extra oomph of fiber, I do the substitution.

Don't forget you can beef up those salads with boiled egges, some shredded cheese, bacon, and REAL dressing! That does make them more filling - esp as you can do it twice a day.

My favorite snack of the moment is peperioni - sliced thin and nuked in the micro till it's crispy (put it on a plate, one paper towel under and one over to soak up the grease) - crispy and salty, fills the potato chip void. Someone else suggested it here and my husband loves it. But be warned, it's a salt bomb so just go ahead and assume you'll have to drink a LOT more water on those days.

Lastly, a few pounds in four days IS a lot of weight! Congratulations! Job well done!

I know what you mean about feeling at the end of your rope. That's pretty much how I felt before I started Atkins - just like I was on this runaway fat train and nothing was slowing me down. But I feel really in control with Atkins, and I feel physically healthy as well. BEST of luck to you. The ladies here are FULL of good info and have been invaluable in answering questions and posting suggestions.

And now I must go make some deviled eggs because Ms. Jennifer up there mentioned them and I KNOW I'm going to want some later today!
Old 07-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #11  
Bad Mamma Jamma

shaunna, just remembered another great snack - olives. Of course, not everyone loves olives but I do - and I love all different KINDS. Yum. I have a recipe for a cheese ball that has olives and cream cheese and some other low carb goodies - I'll have to dig it up and post it.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:15 PM   #12  

Hi everyone,
you guys have all been so helpful. I will have to get the book. I am doing better today... I haven't been hungry. I have also started to really log my carbs... very good to see how I am doing.

I'm still a bit nervous of being on this long term. It seems that there are so many foods you can't eat. Has anyone been on the maintenance part for a long time.

Thanks again for all the snack ideas. I boiled up a dozen of eggs and put them in viniger and pickling spice. They make a great snack.

I hear we can have cheesecake... I will have to get a good recipe.
good luck all...

shaunna
Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 PM   #13  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Shaunna - as for the long term, that's where the book is really helpful. It seems to be a lot less restricted than induction, but still low on the simple carbs. Again, the book makes it a lot more clear than I ever could

I bet there are cheesecake recipes in the recipe forums.