Old 04-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #31  
Slimwithin

Well, you SBers have convinced me to give it a try. I've been on Atkins for ages without much luck at all. More recently I've been on a carb binge which sure hasn't helped matters.
This woe doesn't seem to be much different from Atkins Induction with the exception of eating less fat. I've always loved that about the Atkins plan but it hasn't loved me.

Does this menu plan sound right to you?
Breakfast
2 eggs with cheese omelet
slice of lean ham

Snack: String cheese

Lunch
Chicken breast strips
Mixed salad with olive oil and vinegar

Snack
15 almonds and string cheese

Dinner
Lean pork stir-fry with mushrooms, peppers & zucchini

Diet Jello

It's 4:45 and I'm on my fourth 10oz glass of water. Slosh Slosh. I will try to get in another 20 or 30 oz before bedtime.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 AM   #32  

Good Monday Morning! I jumped on my scale this morning and lost 5 lbs, so was really proud and gave myself a little pat on the back. I am going to try to get in some exercise this week and walk at least 30 minutes a day, which I did early this morning. I would like to try a little weight training, but have never done any before. I really need to lose the flab under my arms so I can wear something with no sleeves. Still struggling with my water, but otherwise this diet seems really simple and I had no hunger pangs and only a little grouchy to my dh, but that is usual. Hope everyone else did well and survived the weekend. Linda, everything looks great. Good luck!! Caci
Old 04-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #33  

OK gang -- I bought this book yesterday, and haven't cracked it yet. I'm looking forward to trying it, but with some trepidation.

I had lost some weight on Prevention's "Ice Cream Diet," mostly minus the ice cream, using the men's meals. Sounds goofy but it's not -- really a list of healthy mix-and-match meals, that allows for a low-fat ice cream snack. Anywayyy, I don't much like diets, but this one was fine; followed the meal plans, wasn't hungry, easy to adapt, good stuff.

Then they put me on 3rd shift (11pm-7am) at work, and it all fell apart. I'm back to having major hunger problems and chaotic eating, with the bonus of eating the house when I get home from work, even if I've eaten a small breakfast before driving home.

Maybe it's an excuse, but I think it's physical, and seriously want to lose more weight. So though I've been leery of the low-carb thing, maybe it's the change needed to counteract the bad schedule. I think I've read that poor sleeping habits can negatively affect insulin resistance.

Whew! Enough about me, just had to vent -- it's so annoying to find something that works, and have it blown out of the water by shiftwork.

Hello all!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:50 PM   #34  

hey Linda....
that sounds like a great meal plan for a day. better than I'm eating. I am trying to keep it simple, and until I get bored w/a specific food, I'll keep eating it. It's almost natural, the way I think of food now. I dont crave the carbs anymore, I just eat my protein and feel full, and dont dwell on food anymore. I think when I tried other "diets", i was always thinking of what I couldnt have. The diets never lasted, cause my craving were always stronger than my will-power. Not in this case. I have no cravings, how cool is that. Drinking LOTS of H2O and am anxious to see what this week brings.
Good luck to everyone, keep up the good work, and welcome to all.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:10 PM   #35  

Hi Sandy, How you doing? I still have a few more days to go with Phase 1. I was going to try it for another week, but went to the grocery store this morning and the stawberries were really calling my name. I didn't buy any, but they sure looked good. Maybe if I just add them and a little oatmeal next week and otherwise say with Phase 1 that might work. Getting a little bored with eggs in the morning. What have you been eating if you are keeping it simple?
Have a great Wednesday all,
Caci
Old 04-16-2003, 01:48 PM   #36  

hey caci- i'm doing fine- some personal stuff (husband, $$, still looking for work) that really got to me yesterday, but i'm trying real hard to stay on track. i weighed myself yesterday, addl torture to myself, and was the same. : (
not going to let it get to me though. i may try to extend phase 1 for another week, or as long as i can hold out, which ever gets me there first.
hmmmm.................... i'm eating a really boring diet, sorry to say.
eggs, fried, scrambled, omelet, hard boiled. some cheese for snacks. celery and cr cheese for snack. chicken and hamburger, oh and tuna. slim jims for a snack sometimes too. i need to make jello, so i can have that for a snack. lots of salad. lots of water, except today............... and diet coke. the soda is my crutch. i notice if i'm low on drinking water, i go for a soda, so the water is really important for me. better go fill up now.
ok, well, got to go drink h2o now. have a great day, we'll chat again soon. keep up the good work.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:00 PM   #37  

Hi guys -- I haven't been on the boards in a while, but I noticed this thread and checked it out. I bought the Prevention and am going to start when I buy groceries. I'm not working, either, so I have to make everything streeeeeetch.

It does sound much more palatable than Atkins or Protein Power. And I'm excited to hear about all y'all's successes!
Old 04-16-2003, 08:22 PM   #38  
Slimwithin

I just started late last week (can't remember which day) but I've already lost 7 lb. It's really not that different from Atkins Induction except I'm not eating all the butter, cream cheese and cream. Feeling pretty good and losing those nasty carb cravings.
I generally start my day with 2 slices of Canadian bacon or ham and 2 eggs scrambled or in an omelet with lite cheese.
Mid-morning I have a piece of string cheese
Lunch is a chopped salad containing raw cauliflower, cukes, tomatoes, green onions and green/red bell peppers, parsley (other low carb veggies optional) with a dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a dash of Dijon mustard. Whatever meat I have around completes the meal. Today it was a couple of frozen lean burgers.
Afternoon snack, light cheese slices and handful of almonds.
Dinner has been steak, chicken, or pork with sauteed low carb veggies like a mixture of zucchini, tomato, peppers and onion with garlic.
Dessert is light Jello with a dab of light Cool Whip.(more nuts as well)
I'm still trying to increase my water. Today I should reach 60 oz.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:10 AM   #39  

Hi everyone. Did you know that the doctor who wrote the South Beach Diet is suppose to be answering questions on the prevention South Beach forum this week. Seems like a lot of people have questions about what they can and can eat.
So far I have been doing fine, except for my water which has been a real chore and know I am still not getting enough. Is anyone on Phase II yet, and if so, how are you doing?
Not looking forward to all the goodies around at Easter--particularly the chocolate bunnies and the hot cross-buns--guess I will just have to stick to the pretty hardboiled eggs. Hope everyone has a great Thursday. Caci
Old 04-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #40  

I'm making my grocery list and I have a question. Does anyone know what he says about salt?
Old 04-17-2003, 04:47 PM   #41  

Ok, I'm back from the grocery. Yipes! I normally spend $70 for two weeks of food (live alone, don't eat out since laid off). Today, my bill was $130 and I'm not even sure it's two weeks worth.

I better lose some freakin' weight, is all I gotta say.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:24 PM   #42  

hi bunny~
it's sad it cost more to eat healthy. i am assuming you bought lots of protein? i've been on a major $$$ budget, so i have not had the variety i want. has made my 2nd week very boring, and i dont think i did as well. a mild setback, but i know sobe works, and i'm on a mission. we are all here for you, if you have questions or need support.
what are your goals for weight loss? i have about 45 lbs to go....
I WILL DO IT!!!!!!
it was sad to hear about Dr. Atkins. He was a brilliant man.
talk w/ all of you again real soon.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:28 PM   #43  

Angry

I've been lurking here for the past few days. I have the book South Beach Diet. I have read the book and it does sound like something I would do. I just have one or two questions. In the book, he tells you what to eat day by day, but he doesn't say anything about being able to substitute foods, maybe he did and I missed it. I really can't stand fish, and I was wondering if I could substitute chicken instead? Do any of you substitute the foods that you don't like? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Aleka
Old 04-17-2003, 07:47 PM   #44  

aleka-
i dont see why not- i dont have the book, but its a lean protein, so i would say go ahead.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:47 PM   #45  

Well, I recently lost some on WW. I have about 15 to go, but I actually want to lose 25 because (this is such girl logic) I want to quit smoking. I quit last year for about four months, but I gain weight so fast and then I start back. Yuck. Sooo, I want to lose ten extra pounds to give myself some "wiggle room." Ha ha. So, starting tomorrow, protein, cottage cheese and caesar salad! Whee!