Old 10-16-2002, 06:46 AM   #16  

Angry Good morning,

DH & I are off to Vt later this morning, so just wanted to say "HI"

ANNE D, good for you for staying on program...a pat on the back Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Please post the recipe for the pumpkin mousse. I'd like to make it for our Thanksgiving.

mauvaisroux, I am confident that you will reach your goal by Dec. 1. Glad you had a good dinner on Sun. with your parents. I'm sure that little imbalance didn't hurt anything.
Thank you for saying my baby is cute, but she's really a
A GF & I saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and it was a riot!!! I would recommend you to see it. I read in the paper recently that one TV network is thinking about getting most of the movie cast to make a weekly series out of it.

nikkic, that's great being able to wear matching shoes again. This week, our WW leader suggested that after you lose weight to get rid of all your fat clothes, except for 1 piece of clothing...as a reminder. That way, if you start to gain weight again, you'll be more apt to nip it before it gets out of hand. I am so sorry about your dog. 22 yrs. is a long life. Yes, my baby is a Boston Terrier, but I don't know of any other name, other than some people call them Boston Bull. I, on the other hand have very many names to call her! We have had Bostons for many years, she is our 4th (we had 2 at the same time many years ago). Each has their own special personality. We lost a very special one a couple of yrs. ago, and it was so lonely here that we went out an bought another one. The one we have now is completely different than the others we've had. She is very friendly to people who come into the house, she loves people. But...she is a good watch dog. The dog we lost a couple of yrs. ago, was the complete opposite. She was very timid. We got her in a pet store, and we think that she was from a puppy mill. The dog we have now came from a loving environment from the start, and she's fearless. I think the average life span for a Boston is 14-16 yrs. One of our's died when she was 12. They really are wonderful dogs. Whenever we are sitting watching TV, our's nestles in my arms and sleeps. There's a lot of fat there to cushion her head There are some Boston's that are large, but we've been lucky that we've had small ones, weighing around 15 lb. or less. I wanted an even smaller dog this time around, but DH wanted another Boston. I'm thankful every day that we have her. Good luck in your hunt for another dog.

Hi Su & Nugget, hope you are having a good day.

Take care. Aleka
Old 10-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #17  

Hi All!

I keep getting cut off at home, so I'll make this quick. I hope to keep chatting with you all.

Aleka, have a great time in Vt! One of my long-time WW pen pals lives there and she is a great promoter of the state. I'll have to make my way up there soon.
I love the Boston dogs too! We had a 'wild' boy who lived near us when we were kids, and he was just about the only dog I ever really loved when I was little, the rest just being too big for me. Now, I love them all, but have a special place for these dogs. Mom has a mini daushie I gave her that we love to death too. She had taught her to ring a little school bell when she needs to go out, so she and Dad will notice. Just too cute! You are doing so great with the steady wt. loss!

Nugget- I am so impressed with how close you are to goal, and how realistic you are about the perimenopause. It is important to face it and not let it get out of control, and you are doing great! (I wish I had!!)

Nikki- Yes, Suchi and Daisy think they are the rulers of the universe, and I go along with this quite a bit. They are grumpy about the change in temperature and stole my pillow out from under me last night!! Good that you are finally out of that boot, but it sounds like you kept right on exercising! That's awesome!

Mauvaisroux I had a 16 yr old tabby boy I loved! BFGW was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. The whole audience could enjoy it!

AnneD- I'm getting into some clothes too. Whoopee!

I'm doing lower fat low carb, just by default, but I still have my butter with my eggs, and so forth. I just have a LOT of non-starchy vegs and I'll probably add in some more oils like flax seed later on as I'm noticing a bit of dryness. I really believe in the need to not get insulin spikes, and that keeps me going, but I'm giving myself some evening carbs for comfort. We'll see and I'll adjust as needed! Su
Old 10-16-2002, 01:55 PM   #18  

Hi everyone,
I can't believe this beautiful fall weather We've had so many sunny days, it's great.

Aleka, I hope you have a wonderful weekend. It sounds like the perfect get away. Thanks for the info about Bostons. I was watching Breed all About It on Animal Planet and they had a show about Boston Terriers. They said that they are calling them something else now, but I can't remember what it is. Isn't everything getting a new name now days? I wanted to get a Yorkie, but I have 2 cats and I need a dog big enough to hold his own with them. Just don't need another rottweiler or doberman.
My last dog was a mix of everything, looked like a black lab sort of. He was so sweet, but he wasn't the smartest puppy in the litter. Kind of like Santa's Little Helper on the Simpsons.

Anne, just 2 more days till the Stones, you will have to tell us all about the concert.

Su, I broke my ankle almost 2 years ago. It has been a long time healing and it's still not healed. I had to lay down for the first year with my foot elevated. After a year of laying down, my muscles were so degenerated, I could barely sit up for more than 5 min. I was an invalid at 44. I bought an abdoer to strength my stomach and back muscles and started to use it at first it was only a few min. a day. It really helped and now I'm up to 12 min. a day on it, plus I do other things for a total of 35 min. a day of exercise. It's taken me all year to get to this point. This is the readers digest version of ****, but basically, I'm a lot better than I use to be. The moral to the story is no matter what you have to overcome, it is possible if your determined enough. I am one of the most bull headed people I know, outside of my husband. That's why we get along so well.

Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 10-16-2002, 10:34 PM   #19  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Evening everyone

It has been raining all day and it just got heavier tonight. We had to go to Canadian Tire to pick up a new battery for our van.
By the time we did that and had it installed and picked up a couple of other things it was getting late and we still had not eaten dinner. We ended up going to Wendy's to grab something quick. So much for being OP this week

I am going to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding with my Mum tomorrow night but we are eating before the movie so I will not be tempted by movie popcorn

I like Boston Terriers too. DH wants a dog but I said not until we buy a house with a yard or a nearby place to walk the dog. Having two working people and a small apartment downtown in the city, plus our lifestyle wouldn't be right for a dog. When we are both willing to make a commitment that big and have a place for the dog to play then we'll talk I would love to have a Boston, a Welsh Corgi, a Beagle or a West Highland White Terrier, we will probably end up with a mutt from the pound though which we love to death I think most dogs are cute but I am not thrilled about owning a Rotweiller or a big dog that I could not control because of it's size.

Good night
Mauvais
Old 10-16-2002, 11:30 PM   #20  
Yak

Hi Everyone! I discovered this thread after posting on the "Who is Somercizing" thread. DUH!

I'm a Somersizer that needs to lose 100+. I read over at the Official Site but seldom post there. I just recommitted on Monday and have been cheat free. I have SS'd several times but always gave up. I hope to stick with it this time and need some support and encouragement. No one that I know is SSing and it gets difficult sometimes. DH is supportive, but can eat anything. Other family members just don't understand.

Anyway, hope you have room for one more here. Hope to get to know you all soon.

~Kay~
Old 10-17-2002, 02:02 AM   #21  
Ounce by ounce...

Talking

Wed Nite...

Hi!

Well...I'm still in a tizzy about LC. Yesterday I counted WW points and had very little carbs, but only had 17 points (my range is 18-23). I felt guilty eating my 2 cups of air popped/buttery Pam Spray popcorn. I'm ok staying away from potatoes, pasta and bread, but I'm really missing FF fudge bars and the popcorn I'm used to having. The sugar thing is really hard. I'm even missing fruit! Today I did great with trying to eat protein throughout the day. I still have a problem with using any type of olive or butter....The FF and WW concept is SO engrained in my head!

I'm leaving for the weekend and I will doubtless have a challenge with food.

Guess it gets easier...right?

Su, where in GA are you? I have a good friend in Augusta.

Calling it a nite...have a date with the gym at 6:00 am...take care everyone!

Karin

Last edited by Nugget599; 10-17-2002 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:06 AM   #22  

Angry A good day to you all.....

Had a great trip to Vt. We saw the most wonderful sight. There were 4 or 5 formations of Canada Geese flying north. It was so quiet where we were, that the only sound you could hear were the geese. We had never seen anything like it before, and probably will never see again, although I hope we do. It really made our trip.

WELCOME Kay, how many times have you started SSzing? It is a fabulous way to eat. I do eat the foods she recommends, but occasionally I don't combine. I know what you mean about some people not understanding. I just kept my mouth shut, and if anyone commented why I wasn't eating something, I'd just tell them I didn't feel like eating it. My first time SSzing, DH had a few lb. to lose so he did it with me. Within a month he had lost almost 20 lb, and I had only lost 3 or 4. Needless to say, I was mad You will be successful this time. There is always room for more people. The more the merrier!! You will get a lot of support here.

Karin, have a great weekend. Which low carb plan are you following along with WW? What I find difficult following a low carb plan along with WW is that the full fat foods have a higher point value, and to me the full fat is healthier for you than FF. I have been doing low carbing for a while and I still feel guilty about eating full fat anything. A good snack if you are hungry, or need to eat to your points are cheese and/or pepperoni, or turkey pepperoni, if you want lower fat. Take some pepperoni,( I prefer the turkey pepperoni, it's less salty) and nuke it until the pepperoni is crisp the way you like it. It's like eating chips. Also, Jennifer has this great recipe under low carb recipes for cheese crackers. It's awesome.

mauvaisroux, you will like MBFGW, I've never laughed so much. Another good movie to see is The Banger Sisters. DH calls them chick-flicks, so I usually go with a GF to see them. West Highland Terries are soooo cute. The D of a GF has one, and a cousin of mine has one. I agree with you about bigger dogs. With the smaller dogs you can really "baby" them. A mutt from the pound would be a very good dog. I think mutts are better, they seem to have less wrong with them than purebreds. We got the same rain storm yesterday that you did.

nikkic, I think a Yorkie can hold its own. When DH & I were walking, we used to meet up with a couple walking a Yorkie. One day this other lady was walking her Chocolate Lab, the Yorkie was straining on its leash barking and ready to tackle that Chocolate Lab, and the Yorkie was ready to tackle us too. DH & I
were laughing so hard.

Su, your parents' mini daschund sounds really smart. It must be so cute when she rings the bell to go out. That's a riot!!! My late aunt had the regular sized daschunds that she spoiled shamlessly.

Take care and have a great day everyone. Aleka
Old 10-17-2002, 07:50 AM   #23  

Good morning Everyone:

I had a busy day yesterday. Dan and I went to see a high
school setting for our autistic son David. I wasn't entirely
impressed. There are several others we can check out. The
problem with Canada is we are behind the times in any and all
treatments for autism.
A good friend of mine has a cousin that lives in the Boston
area and his options are so much more appropriate and
excellent that anything Toronto has to offer. Very sad indeed.

Weather here is in the single digits. I can not beleive how
quickly we have seen such a drastic change.

Another birthday in our household this weekend! My youngest
sons David and Sean are celebrating their 13th birthdays. No
more babies!!!

Have a great day.
Anne.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:17 PM   #24  
Yak

Thanks Aleka for the warm welcome. I have been off and on SSing many many times. The first time was July '99. Always fell off the wagon.......sometimes to the point of being run over--hehe. Now I am so ready. I think. I know that it works, I just need to stay legal. Going out for crab legs tonight. What other WOE allows crab with butter??? Yum!! Have a good one everyone.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:26 PM   #25  

Default How to lose 3 lbs in 12 hours

Hi everyone,
I have had the stomach flu since last night. I exercised and told DH I'd help him haul in wood to the garage, then I laid down and wham! It hit me like a ton of bricks. Diarrhea and vomiting, muscle aches and joint pain, fever and chills. I was awake all night and so miserable. DH was my nurse maid and cleaned up after me, what a wonderful man. I slept off and on all day and I feel better, but I'm sore all over like I was in a fight. My joints still hurt. I would not recommend it for weight loss.
Hi Kay, sorry I'm not too cheerful today. I know what you mean about the SS'ing. My youngest DD is on a low fat diet and constantly telling me how bad fat is for your body and that I'm going to have a heart attack. I just change the subject. I use to feel guilt about eating fat, but no more. I keep reading about it and finally realized it is so essential for your body to form new cells and to be healthy. I know I feel better eating it. Not that I eat a lot of it. Isn't it hard trying to eat at a restaurant? I still get these looks, like I must be crazy when I say no bread, no potatoes. And they still charge the same price.
Aleka, Yorkies are courageous, but that's what gets them into trouble. My cats have been around dogs all their lives, but they don't take any crap from them and would shred a Yorkie up. I have thought of the West Highland too. They have such personality. I'm sure it will be a stray, like Mauvais said. The last several dogs we've had just walked up the driveway and stayed.
One comment about the geese, we have them flying over our patio, I don't know if they are the numbers your talking about, but there's alot. When they first started to fly over our house I was in awe. Then I saw all the poop they left on the cars and the patio and I must say, I wanted to get a hunting license.
Anne, Happy Birthday to your boys. It is hard when you realize they aren't babies anymore.
I have to go lay down. I was surprise how many posts were here since yesterday. It is great!
Bye for now, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 10-17-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:47 PM   #26  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Evening everyone

Well no "Big Fat Greek Wedding " tonight Apparently the theatre has a 7:20 show and a 9:35 show every night except Thursday and my Mum didn't want to be coming home at 11:30 at night, plus I have to work in the A.M. Oh well, I will try to see it on the weekend or maybe on cheapie Tuesday next week if it is still playing.

I hope you are feeling better Nikki, that sounds like a nasty flu!
Yup, love those geese from a distance.

Kay-I don't discuss my WOE with anyone except the people on this site. Some people think you are doing the wrong thing and think that low carb means high fat and that we are all sitting around drinking olive oil cocktails and eating bacon and butter sandwiches I eat mostly chicken, turkey and tuna, with some redmeat once or twice per week. I don't eat sour cream (don't like it), and stick to small amounts of flavorful cheese. Low-carb does not give you licence to have a fat free-for-all. You just have to be sensible about it

Aleka- I like Scottish Terriers too. My DH calls them little old lady dogs. Yeah, until one of them bites him on the ankle

Yak-welcome to the thread! Crab legs! I am soooooo jealous

Anne-hope your boys have a great Birthday
Old 10-18-2002, 06:54 AM   #27  

Angry TGIF.....

Yesterday my GF & I had our weekly lunch date. Afterwards we saw "Sweet Home Alabama". It was such a good movie. Both of us enjoyed it very much.

ANNE D, have a rockin' good time at your Stones concert tonight! A HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your boys

mauvaisroux, sorry you couldn't see Greek Wedding.

nikkic, hope you're feeling better. The stomach flu isn't very fun.
Have you gotten your Swarzbein books yet?

Kay, how were the crab legs? Did you eat your fill?

Su, hope you're having a good day.

Take care and enjoy the weekend everyone. Aleka
Old 10-18-2002, 05:05 PM   #28  

Happy Friday everyone!
I'm feeling better today, not on top of the world yet, still dizzy and weak, but a lot better. I really want to exercise and take my vitamins and supplements, but I'm going to put it off till tomorrow. I never thought I'd want to exercise. I'm really surprised at how good by muscles are looking since I started. I still have 100 lbs to go, but I'm showing improvement.
Anne, I bet your getting ready for the concert tonight. Have a good time.
I got the Schwarzbein books Aleka, I looked through the first one and now they sit on my shelf. I don't think it's for me, but maybe when I've lost more wieght.
Hi Mauvaisroux, Kay, Karin and Su, hope your all having a good weekend.
I made a cream of broccoli soup for supper. It was good, but I added the cheese to boiling liquid and it never did melt. Has anyone tried that stuff that you use for thickner, I think it's called thicknthin or something like that. It's made by the same people that make sugarnot. I know Suzanne S. says not to use it, but other low carb sites seem to without any problem. I think I will for stuff like soup and sauces, I'm really tired of thin runny sauce and soup.
Take care, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 10-19-2002 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:20 PM   #29  
WW Moderator

Hi guys! Just a quickie to say hello to everybody. Been way busy at work this week, and spending all computer time working on the low carb recipes we are putting on the site.

Welcome, Nugget, Kay and Su! I hope I didn't miss anybody, but I may have since the thread split into two pages.

Nikki, I hope you feel real better soon!!

Hugs to everybody!
Old 10-19-2002, 11:13 AM   #30  

Good Morning Ladies!
What a concert!!! We had the greatest time. We were
sitting about 20 feet from a second smaller stage where the
Stones performed 3 numbers. I was taking pictures like
crazy, I hope they turned out!!!!!!Awsome awsome performance!
There were tons and tons and young people there!! When the
stones performed sympathy for the devil you should have seen
the special effects! Huge flames and the heat you would
not have believed. It felt like we were in ****!!

I cannot think of any group that can generate that kind of
excitement these days. To think that guy is turning 60, it
really gives me at 45 hope that you do not have to become
"old". The stones did two performances in Toronto, one on
Wednesday night -apparently Keith fell over in that one and
Ronnie Wood had to help him to his feet. Last night when
Keith did a couple of numbers at our show he quipped, I promise
I won't fall over till the second half

I must mention when I got weighted today, I have dropped
five pounds!! Brings my total lto 30. I guess the excitement of
seeing Mick and Keith and the boys boosted my metabolism!!!!!

Anne.