Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #16  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettingslenderin View Post
Marla, I really agree with you. I have been too lazy to hunt for my tape measure, but I keep it by my scale. My initial hip measurement when I started January 3 was 47 inches, and a week ago it was 41 inches. I started this journey wearing Target jeans size 18, which I now think is probably a real 24 or 26.

Here is a chart with standard sizes -- I would have been a 24 to start and now would be a 16 or 18:

http://www.dresssizes.org/uk.htm

For a size 12, my hips would have to be a full ten inches slimmer. Coincidentally, that was exactly the amount on the ruler that I measured when my old Gap jeans would not close.
Well those are UK sizes, which run very different than US sizes. Are you in the US or the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
It doesn't bother me so much, but I get annoyed that the XS yoga pants there fall off of me, but they don't have an XXS and I'm definitely not an overly thin woman.
When I was in college and got really fit I had to wear children's clothes!
Same thing happens to me. XS yoga/workout pants are too big so I've gone into the kids department and bought yoga pants there. At least they're cheaper! I stocked up when Old Navy had a sale on the children's yoga pants. The larget kids sizes also have the 31" inseam I need so I guess it's a win-win.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #17  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARLA26 View Post
Years ago I was thin. I am 5'7" tall.
I weighed 125 pounds and wore a size 10.
I was 36...24...38
Size 12 was too large.

Now it's plastered all over these forums that people my height and weighing 185 pounds are wearing size 12. At 165-175 pounds they are wearing a size 10?

Women are getting sooo very excited to be wearing size 10 when in reality the label should say size 16/18.

I think it would be much better if we all went by actual waist/bust/hip measurements instead of unreal clothing sizes in these forums.

When someone gets so very excited about fitting into a size 2...what are their measurements? (They probably are a size 10.)

The bust/waist/hip measurements would be a much truer guage of our size.

When you go just by crazy clothing sizes, you are fooling yourself into thinking you are slimmer than you really are. This can really throw you off your dieting.

We need to talk measurements more than clothing sizes to get a truer picture of what we really look like to others.

Taking a size 18 label and replacing it with a size 12 label does not make us thin. That unrealistic label is not a reason to think we are now the size of a runway model. Yet I constantly see people ecstatic that they are wearing a size 12...when in reality they are a size 18.

i find it EXTREMLEY difficult if not impossible to believe that at 125 and 5'7 you were wearing a size 10, how much would you have to weigh to be a size 6 then? 100lbs

i dont know why .... but you irk me,

i am aware of vanity sizing .... but your just being a little unreal here
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #18  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Of course there should be clothes for fat people, but it's not like there still aren't super skinny people out there. There are now 00 clothes because the size 2 is what used to be a 6. They should just make the numbers go higher - 24,26, 30, 32 or Gosh, maybe go by waist measurement like men's pants - waist and hip and length?

Some companies are going that route - thank goodness. Calvin Klein will now say 30-10 for 30" waist. Some go by waist size on 27, 28, 29. And that makes soooooo much more sense than making a 16 into a 10 and then making a 6 into a double 0.
I agree! My husband is like this - when I try to explain sizing to him. He's like... "ermmm my waist is 34" so I wear size 34... what the eff is a size 8?"

And, It's getting out of control, truly. You can see my stats, I'm far from being a tiny person... but I wear a size S and sometimes an XS in tops. WTH will I wear when I'm at goal??? it's ridiculous.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #19  
Leveling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKEY_MUNKEY View Post
i find it EXTREMLEY difficult if not impossible to believe that at 125 and 5'7 you were wearing a size 10, how much would you have to weigh to be a size 6 then? 100lbs

i dont know why .... but you irk me,

i am aware of vanity sizing .... but your just being a little unreal here
She said years ago. That completely makes sense. That would probably be a size 4 or 6 today?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #20  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
Yet I constantly see people ecstatic that they are wearing a size 12...when in reality they are a size 18.
Yes, but it feels good none the less.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #21  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

even at it being years ago ... what would you have to weigh years ago to get into a size 4 then? 90 lbs?

i know that vanity sizing exisists but even years ago im sure 125 was about a size 8

5'7 is a very tall woman .... im 5'6 myself and i know for a fact im very tall and hold my weight / size better than my friends who are closer to the 5 foot end of the spectrum ..

i could believe that 125 could equal a size 10 for someone who was 5'4 or under but idk about someone as tall as 5'7
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #22  
Leveling Up

Quote:
even at it being years ago ... what would you have to weigh years ago to get into a size 4 then? 90 lbs?

i know that vanity sizing exisists but even years ago im sure 125 was about a size 8

5'7 is a very tall woman .... im 5'6 myself and i know for a fact im very tall and hold my weight / size better than my friends who are closer to the 5 foot end of the spectrum ..

i could believe that 125 could equal a size 10 for someone who was 5'4 or under but idk about someone as tall as 5'7
Well you have to remember that the size shift means the creation of smaller numbers, not sizes. Years and years ago (like wayyyyy back in the 50s) there was no size 0. The sizes STARTED at higher numbers and started shifting around as the clothing industry evolved. The numbers shifted around and they still do to match the customer sizes.

This is why there is talk of negative sizes. Keep shifting the numbers around and eventually smaller women don't have clothes to wear. Already I am a size 0 in some stores and I see many women thinner than me and according to the Gap's size chart all of their pants should be big on me.

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-27-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #23  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Hmmm...I remember my tall friends taking size 10 at 125 pounds. -- I remember one of my friends being so excited when she fit into size 8. This was year 1989-1990.

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY, please be respectful with your words

Last edited by Sum38; 03-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #24  
I can do anything!

Quote:

Sizing has changed a LOT over the years. My mother's wedding dress was a size 12 and so was mine. If you lay them on top of one another her's is like half as wide as mine is. She's 5'9" and was probably around 130 when she wore it. I was 185 when I got married.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #25  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Sizing has changed a lot. Twiggy, at 5'6" and 90lbs was something like a size 8 or 10 in the 60s. Sizes did not go down to 0 or 00 then.

Sizes didn't go down to 0 or 00 in the late 80s either.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #26  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

I am 5'3.5".
I took size 0 and petite 0 (00) when I was 96-100 pounds. 1991-1993
108 pounds put me into 2's (1997)
At 117-122 pounds I was wearing size 6 (1995).
At 145 pounds in 2008 I was wearing size 6.

I guess one has to be old to remember this stuff "lol"

Last edited by Sum38; 03-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #27  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

I've never understood why people are so bothered by "vanity sizing", often referring to the old size structure as being the "real" size that someone would wear.

Either way, that was then and this is now and it is what it is so what's the big deal?
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #28  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY, please be respectful with your words

i didnt say anything wrong?

i dont have the right to be irked by someone? in an earlier thread id started she in my opinion bashed the idea of having personal goals and imposed her own ideal of what my goal weight should be it seemed that i was not the only one who saw it that way either
and in my opinion in this thread she also is being super negative towards overweight people which most of us here are/were (hence us being here) i dont know why i cant be irked ?

and as for evreyone else who commented on how much the sizing had changed .... i know sizing has changed i just didnt think its changed by a huge measure ... a size or two most i thought?

also one poster mentioned that there was no size 0 back then , i had no idea the sizes started higher up ... that does make sense though ... i think i like the idea of that .....

im the only one of my friends in a size 16 (GRRRRR and all at the same time) .... i find myself jealous of all the women who wear a size 00 ..... i feel like evreyone is in the range of a size 00 - size 2 and it feels impossible .....
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #29  
I can do anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxmysox View Post
I've never understood why people are so bothered by "vanity sizing", often referring to the old size structure as being the "real" size that someone would wear.

Either way, that was then and this is now and it is what it is so what's the big deal?
The big deal, for me at least, is I'm finding I'm having the opposite problem finding clothing that I did when I was obese. What's the point of getting to goal if they're not going to make clothes that fit me anyway?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #30  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

valrock idk how old you are but my guess is in your early to mid twenties ...

i wouldent stress not being able to find clothes .... certain designers cut very small you will definitley be able to find clothes .....

a list of places you may want to try though

bebe
dehlias (spelling?)
victoria secret catalouge (also spelling??)
top shop ( not sure if that is available where you live )
AlX
calvin klein makes a line of slim cut jeans etc that is for the waif thin !
Anne taylor loft
also look for celebrity lines ....

My Best friend is about 5'5 and 110 lbs she swears by abby dawn , true religion and little boutiqe shops she always looks great !

i always said places like target, old navy, gap, walmart and the likes where for average people ... for average daily clothing ..... if your thinner than that ... then why not shop in fancier stores? shop clearance ! it can be done !