Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #61  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

I need a spanking for clicking on this thread. I need one even worse for reading the posts and letting these comments affect me. I cannot imagine complaining that I cannot find clothes small enough due to "vanity" sizing. And I cannot imagine saying that we should go back to the way things were when Americans were smaller.

Well guess what? Things aren't the way they were. People are larger. Some designers want to actually sell their products to a large portion of the society. Other designers have a different view. Perhaps you guys should only buy things from designers who cater to "true" thin women and aren't trying to make us fatties feel better about ourselves.

I love the clothes at Top Shop and H&M. I also love Victoria Beckham's line and Rachel Zoe's. Too bad they don't buy into this vanity sizing. I guess my fat butt will just have to head over to Target...
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #62  
Dimply and Huge

Oh, and I remember back in 1992 when I was in high school and at my lowest weight (170), I could fit into a size 10 (sometimes) / 12 (most of the time). So according to you ladies I was the "victim" of vanity sizing way back then. I had a tiny waist and appeared thin to many people. When did this "problem" start?

Last edited by Resipoo; 04-06-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Ooops, put in the wrong year. I was a sophomore in HS.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #63  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Seriously?...
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #64  
Dimply and Huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Seriously?...
Yes, seriously (if that was directed at my last post). It's interesting to me that two people can weight the same but wear different sized clothing. Perhaps some of the sizing issues have to do with your overall shape.

Anyway, this topic triggered me. I'm working hard on trying to feel better about myself while I tackle Mount Everest (this 100 pound weight loss). Topics like these make me feel awful. I wish I could fit into a 16 and the idea that people are writing it's more like a 24 is really discouraging.

Carry on...my feathers just got a little ruffled.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #65  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipoo View Post
Yes, seriously (if that was directed at my last post). It's interesting to me that two people can weight the same but wear different sized clothing. Perhaps some of the sizing issues have to do with your overall shape.

Anyway, this topic triggered me. I'm working hard on trying to feel better about myself while I tackle Mount Everest (this 100 pound weight loss). Topics like these make me feel awful. I wish I could fit into a 16 and the idea that people are writing it's more like a 24 is really discouraging.

Carry on...my feathers just got a little ruffled.
I don't understand why your feathers have gotten ruffled. Thinner women complaining about not being able to find clothing is almost on par with larger women complaining about not being able to find clothing. The point is, a lot of us don't fit into the standard 0-14 clothing sizes and we're made to feel bad about that. They can move the standard around all they want, but someone is going to get left out.

Sure, I could go buy designer clothes where they run smaller, but that costs me more money, just as clothes did when I was plus sized. I'm hardly alone in this too as I see many, many women much more petite than I am! They must have a harder time finding clothes.

The fashion industry sucks. They make us all feel bad about our bodies and force us to clamor to fit inside a limited range of sizes. We shouldn't take this frustration out on other women but rather on the industry. It shouldn't be thin against fat, woman against woman.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

This is so stupid. I didn't event realise it was going on and it explains a lot! In December I went to a little shop id never been in before. At home I could barely squeeze into my 18s and probably should of been in 20s. Yet I stepped into this store and I was a size 14! 18s fell off me literally. Huge confidence boost but eventually I came ti the conclusion something was off because I couldn't even really fit into my jeans at home. Now I see why.

Its effecting my mom too. She doesn't think she is as large as she is. She refuses to get on my scale and says "I could fit into a 14 the other day so I'm not too bad!" The last pair if jeans she got probably weren't effected by vanity sizing .

And my aunts came to visit and we were going to give them some clothes and they were really upset that the old 12s wouldn't fit when they were in a 10 for new clothes!

Last edited by Alyj89; 04-07-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #67  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Quote:
I need a spanking for clicking on this thread. I need one even worse for reading the posts and letting these comments affect me. I cannot imagine complaining that I cannot find clothes small enough due to "vanity" sizing. And I cannot imagine saying that we should go back to the way things were when Americans were smaller.

Well guess what? Things aren't the way they were. People are larger. Some designers want to actually sell their products to a large portion of the society. Other designers have a different view. Perhaps you guys should only buy things from designers who cater to "true" thin women and aren't trying to make us fatties feel better about ourselves.

I love the clothes at Top Shop and H&M. I also love Victoria Beckham's line and Rachel Zoe's. Too bad they don't buy into this vanity sizing. I guess my fat butt will just have to head over to Target...
I'm sorry, but just because you can fit into a size 16 at a store that offers vanity sizing, does not make you a size 16. Yes, its a confidence boost, but it doesn't make it true. I could tell myself all day and night that I am a dark haired, tan skinned model but it wouldn't make it true. So pretty much what the stores are doing is LYING to its consumers. Stores should not LIE! Alyj89 pointed out a great reason why. See below.

Quote:
Its effecting my mom too. She doesn't think she is as large as she is. She refuses to get on my scale and says "I could fit into a 14 the other day so I'm not too bad!" The last pair if jeans she got probably weren't effected by vanity sizing .
See how thats a problem? People stop becoming fully aware of how large they are actually getting. For example, they think "O, I'm a size 14 again just like I was back in college, this is an okay weight"... when really they are pushing 18 and 20s. Do you REALLY think that most people fitting into a size 20 pant are truly healthy? If they are still healthy at the point, they are sure on the path that leads to health issues. If pant sizes had been kept the same, it would be a true and REAL wake up call.

Also, you act like who cares about skinny womens problems. You say you can't find clothes and its unfair to you, how come its not unfair that they can't find clothes either due to sizing issues. You have to go to specialty shops to find clothes (plus-sized stores), and they have to go to designer stores just to find pants small enough for them. It should be considered unfair to both parties. - rant over -

Last edited by Candeka; 04-07-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #68  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Resipoo Nobody on here is saying that women on the larger of the end of the spectrum don't need cute clothes too!!! I actually would love to see women on BOTH ends of the spectrum in well-fitting, flattering clothes!!

However, finding and producing clothes that fit well on so many body types is extremely difficult as I outlined in my post. Additionally, what's happening is that vanity sizing is making clothing shopping more difficult for many because the size charts don't reflect the actual cut of the clothes. Moreover, women need to wear drastically different sizes at different stores. It's a bit crazy-making considering that more and more women shop online for clothes.

I agree that's it's also an issue because it's hard to see when you put on a few extra pounds. I'm not quite as considered about that effect, though, because I do think it's the person's responsibility to take care of their weight. Furthermore, denial is a very powerful tool (trust me, I know first hand) and if you're really in denial the number on your clothes isn't going to necessarily make you change your habits.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #69  
Dimply and Huge

First, I accepted my responsibility for choosing to read this thread. It's my own fault for reading something I knew would upset me. I take the blame. You have a right to your opinions, I just don't agree with them.

Second, to the person that said no one here is saying plus sized gals shouldn't have cute clothes, I say re-read my posts. I never said that.

To the woman that wants to give me blunt advice that just because I wear a 16 it doesn't mean I am one...dear, I wear a 24. I can't wait to be a 16. That's my motivation. Whether you think I'll actually be what you consider a 16 or not. That's what I'm looking forward to, it's one of MY goals. I don't care what you think about the reality of my goal (i.e. I won't REALLY be a 16).

Third, I must say I know many normal weight women. Other than really petite women or really tall women, I don't know any who can't walk into a department store and find clothing. None.

Fourth, to the poster that wrote she can't understand why my feathers were ruffled...it's because I'm beginning a very long journey. I'm really struggling right now and reading posts about "vanity" sizing aren't helpful to me. That's why I admitted (and accepted blame) I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm not in the best place and reading that my size 24s (which I'm very ashamed to be wearing) are really 30s or 32s is a little much for me to take. Now, does that mean that those of you who claim sizing is an issue shouldn't discuss it? No, it means I should be strong and not click on topics I know will only upset me.

Fifth, I never really get all of the complaints about fashion period (another reason I should have avoided this thread). I've never had a problem finding fashionable and affordable clothing. I never purchased jeans from Target so I can't speak to them. But I can give you some options of places to shop that will have clothing "small enough" for you.

The Limited, Ann Taylor, Banana Repulic, Macys, Boston Store, Asos, Top Shop, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, The Gap, etc.

I shop at many of those places but in the plus sized department. The ones that don't have plus sized departments have good sizing. They also have GREAT sales so if you're struggling to find clothes, try any of these places. Forever 21 is another one with sizing you might like and also has cheap clothes. I'm not a fan because the clothing looks cheap to me. (They also have a plus sized line, Faith 21 for those who wear those sizes as does the Limited, it's called Eloquii).

Anyway, if I haven't made it clear, I'm sorry to myself for reading something I knew would trigger me. I have a problem doing that (I always read the comment sections on articles about obesity knowing the remarks are going to upset me). Maybe I'm some kind of masochist.

Good luck to you guys that are struggling with sizing. I hope you continue to be successful and not fall into the category of people that gain it all back. I've been there and done that. So, all in all, enjoy your thinner selves.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #70  
Dimply and Huge

"I agree that's it's also an issue because it's hard to see when you put on a few extra pounds. I'm not quite as considered about that effect, though, because I do think it's the person's responsibility to take care of their weight. Furthermore, denial is a very powerful tool (trust me, I know first hand) and if you're really in denial the number on your clothes isn't going to necessarily make you change your habits."

Who is in denial? Honey, I'm morbidly obese. I wear a size 24. Those are the facts. If I fit into a smaller size, I'd still see the lady in the mirror. I'm not dumb. I don't get why people think that some sizing issue tricks women into believing they are thin? Wouldn't you still have rolls of fat if the sizing were messed up? Wouldn't you still get tired walking up a flight of stairs? Wouldn't you still have health problems related to your weight?

This so called vanity sizing has never made me blind to the fact that I have a serious weight problem.

Last edited by Resipoo; 04-07-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: misspelled they are
Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #71  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
"I agree that's it's also an issue because it's hard to see when you put on a few extra pounds. I'm not quite as considered about that effect, though, because I do think it's the person's responsibility to take care of their weight. Furthermore, denial is a very powerful tool (trust me, I know first hand) and if you're really in denial the number on your clothes isn't going to necessarily make you change your habits."

Who is in denial? Honey, I'm morbidly obese. I wear a size 24. Those are the facts. If I fit into a smaller size, I'd still see the lady in the mirror. I'm not dumb. I don't get why people think that some sizing issue tricks women into believing their thin? Wouldn't you still have rolls of fat if the sizing were messed up? Wouldn't you still get tired walking up a flight of stairs? Wouldn't you still have health problems related to your weight?

This so called vanity sizing has never made me blind to the fact that I have a serious weight problem.
I think it's more about realizing you're on your way to a weight problem and being able to stop it. Like the poster above whose mother thinks she's doing okay because she fits in a 14, but she doesn't realize that it's not the same 14 that she thinks it is. What she thinks she is, might be more like a 10 today. If she knew that what she fits into is really more like an 18, maybe she'd realize that it may be time to take off a few pounds.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #72  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
I think it's more about realizing you're on your way to a weight problem and being able to stop it. Like the poster above whose mother thinks she's doing okay because she fits in a 14, but she doesn't realize that it's not the same 14 that she thinks it is. What she thinks she is, might be more like a 10 today. If she knew that what she fits into is really more like an 18, maybe she'd realize that it may be time to take off a few pounds.
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. Resipoo maybe I wasn't clear in my post but in re: denial we're saying the same thing. I was trying to argue that vanity sizing is not necessarily causing denial in regards to weight. Possibly in people who have gained a few pounds over the years but not if you've gained a lot more than that. HOWEVER, and this was what I was alluding to in my post. If you're really truly in denial about your weight (like I was at my highest weight) you're going to ignore every indication that you need help (like I did). So even a higher number on your clothing side can be thought away. I'm just speaking from personal experience here. I was not indicating you were in denial. Not all my words were directed specifically at you because there were a few different issues going on in this thread not just your post.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #73  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm currently in a 22/24 jeans, so what I find really confusing about vanity sizing is knowing that I was in a 22/24 back in high school, when I actually weighed more than I do now. By all this vanity logic I should be in a smaller size now, right? But I'm not.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #74  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I honestly don't think it's nearly as prevalent in plus sizes as it is in the single digits.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #75  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I was in Scandinavia last spring and I realized that at least Finland had not gotten into vanity sizing.

When I lived there way back when, I was around 100 pounds and size 32. This past summer at 165 pounds I was size 44....

So easy; and when I got back to US, it really motivated me to shed some weight. I was
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote