Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Really there's no such thing as a "womanly" body because there are so many different body types a woman can have. That's another thing that annoys me about the word "curvy". The phrase "Real women have curves". So you're saying that girls who might happen to be very skinny aren't real women? lolwut
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #32  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

well, curvy (shapely) women look more noticeably feminine.
I mean, a stick thin woman with zero curves whatsoever some would say is more reminscent of a pre-pubescent boy (aka boyish figure)

I like curvy. As an overweight person, I'd rather be called curvy than fat.
As a thin person, I'd rather be called curvy than skinny.
Hey, if you're at goal you're going to know that if someone calls you curvy its not b/c you're obese.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #33  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

The other thing that's annoying about the word 'curvy' is when people use it to describe someone who is morbidly obese.

There's an awful trend on British TV for dangerously overweight people who are putting their health at risk by being the size they are to be told they are 'fine' and 'beautiful' and 'curvy'. Yes, many of them are extremely beautiful, and if they're happy with their size then that's fine, I won't criticise them for feeling good about themselves, but the impression that's being given is that 'curvy' means 'fat'. So when someone calls me 'curvy', because I have boobs/waist/hips, I actually feel insulted instead of flattered.

Curvy now has bad associations in this country. I don't want to be told I have a womanly figure because I just think I'm being called fat. I'd rather be called skinny than that.

Sorry, mini-rant *removes self from thread*
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #34  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

yea i agree...people used to call me big boned as in you're fat but we're trying to say it in a nicer way...i see curvy sometimes being another way to say you're fat
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #35  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

I think a lot of the distortion of the word "curvy" today VS the yesterdays meaning comes from online dating. Prior to the online dating boom....curvy just meant a "non-stick" shape, more buxom...nice, gentle feminine curves. In online dating, there are so many heavy women that are in denial of their shape...instead of selecting.."a few extra pounds"...or "BBW"....they choose curvy. (and remember...many of us never saw ourselves as BIG as we really are/were...same goes for them) Well...I think this is whats putting the "big" mindset in the word "curvy" into the public eye. I think we all know a man or 2 who've met women online who were unsuspectingly quite overweight who misrepresented themselves with "curvy." If I were a man & I wanted a curvy woman...& she showed up to a date at 5'5 & 240lbs...sorry... but that's not exactly "curvy." It would screw up my mindset on the whole "curvy" meaning. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising & I seriously believe that's how "curvy" has started to get a bad rap....from those who misuse it. Just like when people put "about average,"...average what...average fat?! No...about "an average denial." I know guys who avoid "curvy" & "about average" on dating sites for this very reason & will only seek out thin and athletic to avoid those who totally misrepresent themselves.

Last edited by MissKelly; 06-06-2010 at 04:53 PM.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKelly View Post
I think a lot of the distortion of the word "curvy" today VS the yesterdays meaning comes from online dating. Prior to the online dating boom....curvy just meant a "non-stick" shape, more buxom...nice, gentle feminine curves. In online dating, there are so many heavy women that are in denial of their shape...instead of selecting.."a few extra pounds"...or "BBW"....they choose curvy. (and remember...many of us never saw ourselves as BIG as we really are/were...same goes for them) Well...I think this is whats putting the "big" mindset in the word "curvy" into the public eye. I think we all know a man or 2 who've met women online who were unsuspectingly quite overweight who misrepresented themselves with "curvy." If I were a man & I wanted a curvy woman...& she showed up to a date at 5'5 & 240lbs...sorry... but that's not exactly "curvy." It would screw up my mindset on the whole "curvy" meaning. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising & I seriously believe that's how "curvy" has started to get a bad rap....from those who misuse it. Just like when people put "about average,"...average what...average fat?! No...about "an average denial." I know guys who avoid "curvy" & "about average" on dating sites for this very reason & will only seek out thin and athletic to avoid those who totally misrepresent themselves.
This hit really close to home. I've done this exact thing. At 5'8" 230 lbs (or whatever weight I was then), I always selected "curvy" or "about average" on those dating sites. Sadly, I severely misrepresented myself.

Hence, I don't ever describe myself as "curvy" on dating sites now. I chose "slender".
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #37  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
This hit really close to home. I've done this exact thing. At 5'8" 230 lbs (or whatever weight I was then), I always selected "curvy" or "about average" on those dating sites. Sadly, I severely misrepresented myself.

Hence, I don't ever describe myself as "curvy" on dating sites now. I chose "slender".

In some way....we've all "misrepresented" ourselves. Myself...as huge as I got, I had trouble seeing what others saw...I would always say that I had 40lbs to lose. Just 40. That's what I would say to a man of interest. Four-O. Yah! more like 40lbs THREE times!!! I couldn't admit that though until the very end when I took an honest look at myself. That little tiny "40"....look at me...I'm still losing my FORTY! About ..."30" more pounds to go! lol
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #38  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I think this word can be bothersome because it is very gender specific. Have you ever heard of a "curvy" man? Women come in all different shapes and sizes. We shouldn't all be expected to be something whether it is curvy, skinny, thin, sexy, or even beautiful. Yet we all deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. If you don't like something and feel insulted by it you should have the right to say it. Someone else thought they had the right to label you, so you have the right to accept or counter the label. Curvy to me sounds alright. I don't have too much negativity attached to the word. However, like any other word it is all based on our experiences and thoughts about the meaning.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote