Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #1  

Default Getting back in shape!

Hi, everybody. I thought I'd start a new thread to celebrate a new day and a new committment to being healthy for me! I'm a longtime maintainer (original weight: 266) who WANTS to be at about 135 pounds, lean, and strong. I got there and stayed there for a long time. Unfortunately, what I am right now is 157 pounds and fat and weak! I have had some major changes in my life during the last year. I moved in with my BF, who loves food as much as I do, and we are renovating a beautiful old house but haven't had a kitchen in over a month. These challenges and other lifestyle changes, plus the fact that I'm getting older every day, have combined to allow me to lose focus. My weight has crept up slowly during the last year and I must get back in shape.

So this thread is to report what I've been doing!

First, I cried and ranted and raved. I stood in my closet and looked at all the pretty clothes that have become too tight. Then I came here (a few weeks ago) and got some moral support. Then I talked to my BF about how to make the changes we need to make. Then we joined a great gym in our new neighborhood. Then a friend convinced me to run a half marathon next month, despite my sad flabby cardio-challenged state.

I've been going to the gym about 4 days a week. 2 upper body weight days, 1 lower body weight day, and 3 indoor running track or treadmill workouts. Intervals one day, then two longer runs. On the weekend, I do one long run with my running buddy. So that's five days of workouts with two rest days per week. Then I walk to and from the train every morning and afternoon to give myself about 8 extra miles a week of walking.

So far, I have lost 3 pounds. I need to work on my diet bigtime - and it is a challenge, given the fact that I have no kitchen, but I know that if it is a priority to me, I can make it work.

I want to be back at 135, bodyfat at 15% like in the good old days when I could wear ANYTHING and felt like a million bucks. Those days will be here again soon! By fall, if all goes well.

Thanks, everyone, for being there and providing me with so much good reading and inspiration! I will NOT be one of those people who gains the weight back. Not after 5 years, not after all this work. And I will be running the half marathon on August 12, ready or not.

Have a great day!

Diamonda

Me at 135:

Me now:

Last edited by Diamonda; 07-25-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Diamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #2  

Hi Dimonda & all the maintence group:

Read your post and it inspired me to reply and also get back in shape.

As a long time maintainer I have become lazy in my comitment to healthy eating and exercise. My weight is just below my comfort level so its time for me to shape up. Or watch the scale go up, I am choosing shape up.

I have been dropping by to read and am glad to see some old friends still posting. I continue to be inspired by this board and apologize for not contributing. Seems when I need to board the most I stop posting.

Take care,
Gina
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #3  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

WTG Diamonda!! Get a grip on it now before it spirals out of control. Good luck on the 12th.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like you are doing great!

Does it seem harder to you, doing it the second time around? The last bit anyway? I'm working on my last 12 (again) and it is just so hard. The good thing though is that my mindset is just that there is no other option. Sounds like you have that as well--I know it will get us through. Bit by bit.

You are inspiring! Keep it up!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #5  
Meg

Woo hoo! Diamonda! Gina! So happy to see you both!!

Diamonda, if you'd ever like to share your 'befores', we'd love to see them. When I look at those photos of you now, you look like someone who's never had a weight problem - I'm sure people who just met you think you're a naturally thin person, right? Isn't that just so weird when it happens?

When I read what everyone's posted, it seems like maintenance is a constant challenge for most of us (I first typed 'battle' but I don't think it's quite that drastic ). At least I haven't ever experienced a time when I can just sit back and coast. I have to work pretty hard just to stay where I am and a little slip in focus or unexpected turn of events sends me flying back toward weight gain. I guess it's always going to be that rollercoaster of up and down.

Diamonda, congrats on getting the exercise part of your life back under control! Now that you've got your body moving, it's probably more of an incentive to feed it properly. Yes, not having a kitchen can definitely make eating a challenge Is that just a temporary problem (I hope)?

Keep posting! It's a great way to stay accountable and get support. This is too hard to try to do alone, you know?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #6  

Meg, I had some before pictures, but they were on an old website that expired. I will have to find some to scan. You would never recognize me, that's for sure. I was a very, very big girl .....

Diamonda
Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #7  

OK, I took a digital photo of a picture that I keep in my wallet at all times "lest I forget." It didn't come out very well, but you can sort of see what I looked like in May 1999, four months before I decided to lose the weight.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #8  

Wow
What a change you look fantastic.
Good luck on the marathon.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Hey girls

Reg and Diamonda, welcome back to the recommited gang ... I am back on track too after a month + of complacency ...

Diamonda, you're right you're barely recognizable!! Inspirational!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #10  

Hi ho!

What a summer it's been. Not at all what I expected or prepared for. So, this seems like a good thread to jump on. Tomorrow morning it's back on the treadmill and maybe a round of yoga. My body's screaming for movement. Interestingly, just as I was trying to decide on a re-entry strategy, the current issue of Oxygen magazine had a zippy whole-body workout that looks like just the ticket to get back to the weights, and the current issue of Prevention has a set of fast yoga poses -- about 20 minutes. And finally, something (maybe the current Shape?) has a 20 minute absolute basic weight routine. I find when I'm getting back into the swing of things that I need these sorts of routines -- short and sweet, so I don' t kill myself

It feels good to check in. Talk to you all later.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #11  

I felt like checking in today, too! I ran the half marathon yesterday and it went just fine, despite my extreme lack of preparation. I ran it with 2 other friends who also wanted to keep to a slow pace. I am a bit sore today but feel good about doing it.

I also had my fitness evaluation at the gym, learned my VO2 Max, got a good set of goals documented, and am working away at achieving them.

My diet is where I need to focus right now.

Have a great day, everyone!

Diamonda
Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #12  

Diamonda -
You've taken the first step and you know how to do this...you'll get there. What a remarkable difference between your before and after - you look amazing.

Hello to all other maintainers! I've made it to week 28 of my pregnancy, and while I've done well with my weight gain, I feel like I'm starting to slip and give in to cravings. I'm not being too hard on myself, but I also do not want to blow it now and gain another 20 pounds between now and delivery. Feeling good, baby is doing very well and we're getting excited. I'm still exercising and keeping it all together as best I can.

Sounds like everyone is having a good summer. I've enjoyed reading the recent posts. I know all of the information in them will be helpful when I start dieting after the baby is born. And Meg, sometimes it really is a BATTLE, not just a struggle. Or maybe I'm just dramatic

Take care everyone!
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #13  

Anne
Nice to see you. Enjoy the rest of the pregnancy. You'll do great and be back at your goal soon after the baby.
Dimonda seems like you have your goals are right on target. The food choices will be back in line. Just take it one meal at a time.
Ilene how is it going?
Always good to hear from uou airegrrl. Sometime life gets in the way of this lifestyle. But you always seem to make lemonaide out of lemons. Love your outlook.
I am in a good place right now. Enjoying summer. My exercise needs my foucus but I am baby stepping along. Vacations and summer foods have played some havoc with me but I am coming to terms with that. I listed all the trouble foods that have stepped me up and the (points WW lingo) I can see how I get myself in trouble so quickly. It was an eyeopener. I need to learn to say the word small when I use the word ice cream.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Airegrrrl so nice to see you Your posts are always so chipper!

Hi Gina!! I am just fine, thanks for asking!! Summer has played havoc with my weight to this year, first time in a long time that I've gained in the summer... Even with all the exercising I do I still can't even maintain, thank goodness I am exercising I'd hate to see what I'd look like if I didn't do anything !! I do think that approaching the big 5-0 has something to do with it too...I swear my metabolism is dead

Lessismore (Anne) -- Keeping things in perspective as you are doing during your pregnancy is the best thing you can do for yourself keep it up!!

Today and yesterday have been good days food and exercise wise, I did have some not so clean foods but I have stayed withing my calorie range which is a good thing!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #15  

Hi Diamonda - You dug down and decided to catch the creeping pounds and Hurray for you! That can be so difficult, but like you, I rant and rave and cry also, which, once over, forces me to look hard at what I need to do. That's just what you did and are succeeding! And a 1/2 marathon to boot! Wow - that's impressive! Keep at it! It sounds like you really do have challenges, but renovating a house or cleaning out a garden can be a great workout, at least in my experience! As Meg wrote, exercise can aid in directing your appetite to healthier foods? Volume (veggies et.) usually works for me as long as they're ready. This sounds like your challenge (without a kitchen), and yet it sounds like you're very determined! Stay with it!
Never2Late is offline   Reply With Quote