Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #31  

Hi, everybody,
I was "missing on the couch" for the last month and a half. First I got eye infection which kept me on antibiotics hence i did not notice that I have pneumonia. It took 3 weeks and 3 different antibiotics to cure it, I mostly was in bed and in the last 10 years it was first time that I did not have to stand up and do things. Finally as if it is not enough, I had tough root canal which is still bothering me and still not finished. However I work. I even managed to do some cardio pilates at home and went twice to the gym already, however it is very hard and I am still weezing as my asthma made friends with pneumonia and just reminds me to be more careful.

I can not wait for our scheduled ski trip end of January - we go to SilverStar resort which is new for us.

I see that everybody is back on track here - so I have to be with you pals!!!

Cheers,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:16 AM   #32  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hope you're better soon Sandy
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #33  

Robin, I do not know of any resistance band videos, but I did a quick search on amazon.com and saw some that looked good - one by Denise Austin.

Meg, How's the shoulder? I'm sure you are healing nicely.

Sandy, You've had a tough time!!! Glad you are feeling better.

Hi Ilene and Water Rat!

I'll be back for more later. Have a great day everyone!
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #34  

Sandy,

I hope you get well soon!! And please allow yourself sufficient rest to recover fully from the pneumonia!! I had a couple of them in a row, and apparently if you get them more often you have less resistance to them. I now get a flu shot every year, because I got pneumonia aftr my resistance lessened from the flu.

Take good care of yourself. With the story of recurrent infections, take lots of rest so your resistance can build up again.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #35  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

You can also get a pneumonia vaccination. I always get an annual flu shot due to my asthma, and a couple of years ago I got a pneumonia shot as well. The nice thing about it is that the protection lasts for a very long time, the nurse told me I wouldn't need it again until I was 65! (I'm 36)

I just got over an eye infection too Sandy. Yuck!
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #36  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I had one of these a couple years ago too, and I think they told me it was good for 5-6 years. Whatever, it's a good thing to do if you are prone to respiratory illnesses, or have a chronic illness.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #37  

Hi ho! It's Thursday ... the week is winding down ... it was still light at 5:45 yesterday afternoon -- life is good, eh!

Meg, how goes the PT? If nothing else, you're going to have a very strong left hand when this is all over. Sandy, I hope you continue to recuperate well -- just think how sloooooooooooooowly it would go if you weren't in the good shape you're in. But take care! Anne, thanks for mentioning the Denise Austin; I've been looking at Collage Video and I'm thinking I might try one of the Walk Away the Pounds videos on those days I can't get to the gym. The chatter might drive me bonkers, but it looks like a fun workout.

Water aerobics this morning ... I was just thinking what a difference this class has made. Let's see if I can articulate this (it's 5:30 -- I don't know if the brain cells are all up yet) ... This class has become the anchor in my weekly routine. It's two days a week, and I've signed up for three consecutive sessions, which takes it through June. Not only do I enjoy the class itself, I find myself thinking that it takes care of two days; then all I have to do is add a day of pilates; then a couple more days of weights; and bingo, I've got a week of working out under my belt. It's become almost painless. The two-days-a-week seems to work very well for me mentally -- it's not onerous. I look forward to it. And I tell myself that I really can't miss it, because I've paid for it and it's my personal commitment. I'm ramblling here ... but I've not felt like this before and, you know what: it's totally awesome.

So, the clock is ticking ... it's time to suit up. Have a great day everyone.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #38  

Height: 5'7"

After an excrutiating couple of weeks, as I adjust to day care, I'm starting to get caught back up. We also had to get a grip on DD's escalating sleep problems. We resorted to letting her cry it out, while I curled up in a fetal position deep under my covers and DH dealt with things. I know that is a controversial choice, but nothing else was working, and we were all three suffering. Mom, Dad and Baby are all MUCH better rested and happier after just a couple of days.

My sister is coming to visit tonight and I'm pretty happy about that. She's the one with triplets, and I've come to the realization that I'm looking for some validation that I'm not a horrible mom, especially after the whole sleep thing.

The really good news is that I've been sticking really well to my eating plan and getting the exercise that my triathlon coach is prescribing. As time passes, I'm starting to feel like myself again for the first time in a year, and not quite so desperate and pitiful. That's doing wonders for my self-esteem and self-control. I'm down 6 lbs since the beginning of the year, almost 30 from my top preggo weight, with about 25 more to go to get back to my maintenance weight. I have some illusions that this time around I'll get past my maintenance weight down to my goal weight, but we'll see what happens. I'm not getting any younger, my body has just been through it's biggest change ever, and I'm not really liking food any less.

Hi everyone. I've been lurking and I'm going to try to be a bit more responsive as DD sleeps and I have some time free up. Sandy, hope you are feeling better.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #39  

Good Morning Everyone,

Robin, I can relate to how you are feeling -- adding a new class or workout to your routine is very refreshing! Definitely helps to keep you motivated, so good for you! Paying for the class does make you feel more obligated to participate, and once you go to a class a couple times per week, I think you're even more motivated to squeeze in one or two more sessions. I have terrible joints, in fact I'm trying to nurse my poor tendonitis knee back to health, so I've been thinking of starting swimming again. Years ago (5+) I was swimming 30 laps, 2-3 X per week and it was excellent.

Anne, I can tell from your posts that you are a wonderful mother - every mother has to go through the dreaded "sleep phase," whether it happens when your child is 6 months or 6 years, I believe eventually every parent has to put her foot down and make a bedtime routine - otherwise we'd never sleep! I know the whole "let your baby cry" trick can be controversial, but it worked for my son, I sat by the washing machine for an hour while he cried himself to sleep at 6 mos. old and from then on bedtime was much smoother. But it was very difficult...he's 7 now, and still a pretty decent sleeper! So do not feel guilty about it, only you know what is right for you and your baby. Congratulations on the weight loss, it's coming off quickly, that's great.

As for me, this week has been quite good - limited exercise due to my increasingly sore knee. Last year I had TERRIBLE tennis elbow, and eventually went to physical therapy for several weeks to improve it. Now I have tennis elbow of the knee. So annoying...but I'm trying to keep my upper body strong and rest. Food has been very good, except Monday when I started eating everything in sight around 4 pm, like a fool. I never ate any sweets though, so I recovered pretty well. Feel great today.

Sun is shining in NH, wind was ridiculous last night!
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #40  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore
only you know what is right for you and your baby
Hear, hear! Anne, sounds as though you're doing pretty well. It's a difficult time and you're getting through it.

Sandy - take care of yourself.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-19-2006 at 04:33 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #41  
Maintainer-to-be

S/C/G: 214/170/154

Height: 5'8" / 1.72 m

Hello everyone!

Glad to see that people are returning to the fold, despite injuries and infections and whatnot. Strong Scandinavian get well-vibes to everyone who's in need.

I'm starting to find my footing as far as Maintenance goes. November and December were extremely shaky and I completely lost the plot a few times. Food intake was abysmal and exercise sessions were few and far between. I ended up with a small weight gain (2 kilos roughly) that I've now chipped off, and boy, does that feel good!

I realised that exercise was scarce because I was so fed up with my gym routine, the same routine that I'd had for an entire year, and that's why I avoided the gym more and more. So I decided that an exercise overhaul was in order and I psyched myself up and went to a spinning class and a BodyPump class for the first time ever and it was SO much fun! My commitment to exercise has been completely renewed and I really look forward to my exercise sessions now, it's fabulous! I also treated myself to some new exercise gear - new shoes (they are heavenly!), a new pulse watch (expensive but oh so much fun) and a new t-shirt to work out in. My old shirt was 3 sizes too big and made out of stretchy cotton and it became SO heavy when I was working hard. Can you imagine how heavy it felt during the oh so sweaty spinning class? Well, my new top is great, it's made out of a better fabric and it's a really nice cut.

So right now I do a 1 hour spinning class twice a week and a 1 hour BodyPump class twice a week. I'm also thinking about fitting in a yoga or pilates class somwehere.

It just feels so great to be back on track after 2 months of dreary winter misery. It's awfully dark all the time here in Sweden in November and December, and that doesn't help very much either. But now it's January and my working hours have been reduced by 25% (my own choice) so now I have time for exercise and just plain old chilling. This rules!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm glad to see all the familiar faces (avatars?) here, because I read this forum all the time even though I don't post much. You are all very inspiring.

Hugs from Ann-Charlotte in snowy Sweden
silvernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #42  

Hi maintainers,

Anne, I join he chorus of "of course you are a decent mom". What worked wonders with my babies was to put my sleeping shirt in their beds, so that they could smell me. In cold days, I wrapped the shirt around a rubber hot water bag, so they could cuddle onto something warm smelling like mother. You have to do this with a shirt that you have worn a couple of nights because it is essential that it smells like you.

Another trick that worked was to put a semi transparent drape over the bed. This cut out "unknown" sights, but this might have been when they were a bit older and could actually see much better. In fact my son pulled a cotton diaper over his face when he went to sleep when he was a couple of months old. Apparently he liked to shut off the world when he wanted to sleep. or he dropped to sleep when the world was accidentally shut off when he put the diaper there.

have a great day,
rabbit
Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 AM   #43  

G'morning all! Just time for a quickie post before I head to the pool. Work is nuts; MIL is not well and DH is staying with her for days at a time; life is its usual turbulent self. Eating is not as clean as it could be, but not an absolute disaster, either. I bought a "Walk Off the Miles" DVD for some cardio variety; I can't tell if it's going to aggravate my knees or not, but I thought I'd give it a whirl on those days I can't get to the gym, and I can't face the treadmill Last week, I only lifted weights once; need to work on that. All that said, life is good. Hope you all can say the same. Cheers.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #44  

Hi Robin & the other maintainers,

As said by Robin "Life is just its usual turbulent self" Yes. However, with bumps and dips I am actually feeeling slightly better. I am getting some grip on things.

Anne , how are you doing with the baby ??

have a great day all,
rabbit
Old 01-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #45  

Height: 5'7"

Hi rabbit & everyone,

Things are going very well with DD. Put her down on her back as usual last night, she went right to sleep with NO crying and then this morning we find she has flipped over onto her belly! The days of stationary baby are ending and a new challenge has begun.

After a weekend of off-plan eating (and 2+ lbs), I got back on plan in the last day or two and hit another new low for the year! Also had a breakthrough where I was able to put on a smaller pair of jeans--the ones I bought right as my maternity leave was ending in the size I thought I was going to be. Turned out to be about 2 sizes off then, but they work now. Two more sizes and I'm back to my pre-preggo self, although it is apparent I'm going to be shaped just a little differently now! Doing pretty well on exercise since I have signed up for that race on March 12, and need to be in some kind of shape to finish it.

Have a big meeting at work today, with lots and lots of food around. I'm going to behave myself. That is the goal.

Good to hear you are feeling better rabbit. Robin, sounds like you are doing great under the circumstances.

wunderAnne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote