Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 11 - January 17

So much for back-to-normal life around here. The Holiday treats seems to keep appearing - or at least the holiday attitude.

We went to a restaurant last night that we'd never been to before. We split an appetizer of Prince Edward Island Mussels. So good. The best part is that it's easy to believe that the mussels have few calories. And to ignore the butter and wine sauce along with the dipping toast.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, Bill, you're right. Ten minutes ago we received a parcel from Italy. I've shaken it and I think it could be chocolates.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I am sad today. David Bowie was a big part of my early adult years. I enjoyed his music and his various personas immensely. He was a talented and elegant man. Rest in peace David.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I was so surprised to hear of Davie Bowie's passing. I didn't know he had cancer. I, too, grew up with his music. It is quite sad.

While I am no longer dealing with holiday foods, I do have two gift cards to some very nice restaurants. Both are for substantial amounts. If it weren't "season" here, DH and I could go and use them several times over at happy hour at the two places, so as to stretch the buck and eat less; but, with "season," it is hard to find a place at the bar at the time we'd typically show up. Granted the cards don't expire, but I still would like to go out, but not eat a full meal.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Just peeked in the break room and baskets of goodies have reappeared again. I think people are trying to be good and get them out of the house!

I think I got banned from an internet forum I belong to! My first time being banned which my dd says is a right of passage. My daughters and I do a particular kind of crafting. My dd returned to college after winter break to find her apartment robbed. Many things were gone including their big screen TV, her guitar, her jewelry, and her expensive bag. What she was most upset about was that her crafting materials were in the bag. I posted on the forum what had happened and said I thought it would be nice if anyone wanted to RAK her something small. I asked for them to pm me and I would give them her address (I did check with dd and she was happy that generous souls might send her something). Immediately I got lots of pm's with sweet and generous offers and I could see on the Facebook page that many others were replying saying I should pm them. I was leaving for book club so I posted that I would get back to everyone after book club but we were grateful for everyone's generosity. When I returned, I was blocked from the site. I can't even see the replies I had to the post. The only ones I got were from the ones that sent me a pm. Sigh... guess I broke some cardinal rule I wasn't aware of or something.

Exercise was good this weekend and food was good except for a little splurging at book club. Hence my weight is up slightly but still much lower than last Monday, so I'll take it. Very sore today as dh and I went to the gym and lifted and then I went to bikram yoga after.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Many sites have rules about no soliciting. Maybe that's what happened, Michele.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #7  

I'm guessing so, JayEll. I know you aren't supposed to try to sell anything but people do RAK's all the time so I didn't think it was an issue. I would have thought they would have just removed the post if it wasn't allowed and/or send me a message. Not just wham-- you're gone....

Last edited by traveling michele; 01-11-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Many sites have rules about no soliciting. Maybe that's what happened, Michele.
My thought too Michele. I wasn't aware that people got "banned" on the net. Thanks for that info.

Dagmar
Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

michele, can you still contact an admin? Maybe you could appeal.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #10  

Michele What is RAK please?

Dagmar
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

RAK= Random Act of Kindness, aka, Give me stuff for free.

I belonged once to a forum where there was a RAK thread -- the givers posted unwanted stuff there -- and there were people who'd sit & watch that thread and claim the stuff immediately. Always the same people, as I discovered.

This is not what happened with Michele, of course, but it gave me a jaundiced view and I stopped giving stuff away & paying postage to do so.

Last edited by saef; 01-11-2016 at 08:26 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #12  

I cannot contact the admin as I cannot even access the site to see who the admin are. It is a "closed" group. I've moved on. My younger self would have been more upset. I joined a different but similar group yesterday. Both of my millennial daughters think it is quite hilarious and that it is a right of passage on the internet.

How many of you are playing the lotto? I better win because younger dd just keeps coming up with new things to cost us $$. She needs new contacts and her mac computer is on its last days.....Not to mention her birthday is in a few weeks and she is hoping we will replace her stolen purse and a few other items. I bought 4 tickets yesterday at a "sketchy" liquor store because that seems like the kind of place that sells the winning tickets. There was a guy in front of me in line that was buying hundreds of scratch off tickets (so not the power ball). Is that what people do?? I never play the lotto except for last week and this week....
Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

saef, those people were probably turning around and selling the stuff on Craigslist, Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Someone I knew--every time she wanted to go on a trip or buy something big, she would put up a post on a crowdfunding site. After awhile I stopped donating because it occurred to me that she, too, could save her money to buy things, just like I did.

Michele, I see you've moved on, but usually an address like "[email protected]" will get to the right person. No name needed.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm having surgery this Friday - lumpectomy in rt breast. Invasive ductal carcinoma about 1". I won't know further details until they thoroughly biopsy the sentinel lymph nodes which will be removed at the same time. PET scan and breast MRI do not show anything else and don't show anything in the nodes, but those scans are limited in what they can detect. The pis*er is that the tumor shows up on my 2014 mammogram done at the county hospital (insurance required I get it there), but the radiologist missed it. I'm not sure what I'm in for but none of it will be good. Best case, lumpectomy and radiation. Worst case, they strip the axillary lymph nodes and I get chemo. Well, I guess worst case is death, but I won't think that far ahead! Chances of lymphoedema in right arm are significant with stripping the lymph nodes. I'm worried more about that than about chemo. It is a lifetime risk and they normally advise "do not carry a heavy bag on the affected side". That will not work for hiking and backpacking.

Anyway, please send some white light my way on Friday and I'll keep you guys posted.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, Alice, I hope the best for you. I have a friend from another board who found out a little over a year ago she had BC and did chemo. She just passed a year in remission. Best of luck to you. Is there any recourse against the radiologist who missed it?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote