Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Sorry, just catching up with figuring out everyone's stories.

Bill, you make me miss seasons! Not the bitter cold, but spring and fall. From May-November in Central Florida it is just awful, hot, humid, and miserable. So you stay inside a lot and freeze from the AC! Been here for 29 years and both DH and I are sick of the heat! We are from DC originally.

Jessica, you have twins? How old are they?

Michelle, when my DS was in college it was only two hours away and twice he got really sick and we had to drive up there to get him. DD is in school in NY and when she was sick last week I felt the same way. Plus she has some super day interview to go to the next day and I told her to just take a cab and don't tell them you are sick! She made it through. And I worried. Definitely splurge a little on your birthday! At least that's what I'd so, especially if your weight is low now. I agree with Megan, get a pedi, and another treat!

Speaking of treats since I hit my goal last week I decided to go shopping. Bought quite a few things, all on sale of course. I have sizes 16-8 in my closet and I removed the 16,14,12 that are absolutely too big. They are sitting in a pile. I want to give them away, but I'm scared. I'm telling myself I am going to keep it off this time and just give them away, but... Well, just scared to do it.
This past summer when I was at an all time high and had to buy bigger sizes I got rid of some 10s because I thought there was no way they'd ever fit.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Calcounter I remember discussions about giving away the "fat clothes" and, if memory serves, the majority were for giving them away. It's kind of an additional commitment to keeping the weight off, yes? :

On my home front I am being hopeful in a small way . Due to all the changes at DH's work and the sale of the business he might, might finally get the "big boy" job. It would mean a long daily commute but he's 52 and "no one else is offering" as he put it. Our lives would change radically yet again but hey! we've done all the other major stressors but divorce this past year and a half so what the heck!

I am going to attempt to lift weights this morning without reinjuring my shoulder/back. I really need to keep whatever strength I have now.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #18  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Calcounter, yes, I do have twins! They are 10 months old but came two months early, so their adjusted age is 8 months. I don't have any other kids and was never around babies before so I'm constantly learning about how to take care of them. My wonderful DH stays home with them.

I got rid of about 90% of my fat clothes, with the exception of items that had particular sentimental value (a skirt I bought while vacationing in Singapore, for example) and fancy dresses that I kept thinking I would get tailored to fit (I never did). I didn't regret getting rid of any of that stuff until this past year, because I'm still carrying around a lot of pregnancy weight and I'm waiting until babies are weaned to try to lose it. I had to go out and buy some size 12 jeans, and put all my 6's away. I have been living in a wardrobe of basically 2 pairs of jeans and five t-shirts for the past 10 months though, because I refuse to buy any more larger-size clothes than absolutely necessary.

Although here's a funny story, don't remember if I mentioned it here or not. Back in 2004 when I graduated from college I moved across the country. I shipped most of my belongings to myself and brought the rest in the car for the drive. During the move two boxes disappeared, including a lot of sentimental items (photo albums, stuffed animals, etc.) as well as a bunch of winter clothes, formal dresses, and formal shoes. We discovered a few weeks ago that the two boxes had been sitting in my parents' garage the entire time. So when my mom came out to visit a couple weeks ago she brought some of the items with her. All the clothes were from when I was at or near my highest weight, so now I actually have a couple nice skirts that I can squeeze my lumpy postpartum belly into! The sad part is that some of it is too small. It's interesting to reflect on my body shape like this, because while I weighed more then than I do now, it was distributed pretty evenly all over my body. My pregnancy weight is about 85% in my belly, so I still kind of look pregnant.

In any case I'm looking forward to being able to lose this weight, but I'm a bit concerned about the loose skin. When I lost weight the first time I was younger and my skin tightened up afterward. Right now I've already got a pooch of loose skin that appeared a few days before my girls were born, probably because I'm guessing my abdominal muscles separated. I feel like the rest of my belly will probably retract along with the weight going away, but this poochy part might just be here to stay. Sigh. (Side note -- it's kind of funny because my mom saw it and said, "Wow, those twins really did a number on you," then asked me if I would have surgery to have it fixed. Somehow I never figured my mom as the type to recommend that I get a tummy tuck! I doubt I would do it anyway, since supporting my family of 4 on one salary the cost of elective surgery seems like an unnecessary blow to our budget.)

Did I ramble enough about myself? Sorry guys!

Last edited by paperclippy; 02-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

CalCounter~you sound a lot like me but from the opposite coast. Both my kids are in college--one in grad school. She's about an hour drive away and my DS is in his first year about two hours away. And seasons? Yeah, summer and summer here! Granted winter does get rather cool at night but this year has been so dry and warm it feels like perpetual summer.

I had some fat clothes that were too good to let go and I had them altered. Eventually I did let them go, though. I don't buy a lot of things but it's always nice to have something new.

Jessica~that is funny about your boxes. I bet you spent a lot of time upset that they were "lost," especially with the sentimental stuff in them. One year after my DD was born we had a garage sale at her preschool and I took a couple boxes of clothes that I knew I'd never wear again. After all they'd been boxed up for about 5 years at that point and we really had no desire to take a ski vacation. Well, the sale was on a particularly cold day in winter and a bunch of college kids were at the park across the street for some volleyball tournament and all of them arrived expecting sunny, warm weather and were dressed as such. Of course my stuff sold! Sweaters, coats, long pants, etc. But it was actually traumatic watching it all go. There was a sweater in there (perhaps more than one) that my Mom had knit and I probably should have kept it (would never have worn it, though). I still think about that stuff.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCounter1003 View Post
Michelle, when my DS was in college it was only two hours away and twice he got really sick and we had to drive up there to get him. DD is in school in NY and when she was sick last week I felt the same way. Plus she has some super day interview to go to the next day and I told her to just take a cab and don't tell them you are sick! She made it through. And I worried. Definitely splurge a little on your birthday! At least that's what I'd so, especially if your weight is low now. I agree with Megan, get a pedi, and another treat!

Speaking of treats since I hit my goal last week I decided to go shopping. Bought quite a few things, all on sale of course. I have sizes 16-8 in my closet and I removed the 16,14,12 that are absolutely too big. They are sitting in a pile. I want to give them away, but I'm scared. I'm telling myself I am going to keep it off this time and just give them away, but... Well, just scared to do it.
This past summer when I was at an all time high and had to buy bigger sizes I got rid of some 10s because I thought there was no way they'd ever fit.
My dd is still sick, poor thing. I hate being so far away. She has terrible heartburn now-- presumably from lots of vomiting. Any solutions? I told her to buy over the counter meds like Zantac and eat blandly.

Since you all have given me "permission" to splurge on my bday, I've been planning my day. I'm practically drooling! I will have my splurge on Tuesday, which is the day after my birthday, when I take a "sick" day. I'm planning on a big splurge for lunch and some sort of dessert too! I'm going to counter that with two bikram classes that day. That's the plan anyway.

So far as "fat" clothes, I saved one pair of pants. I've shown them many times and I still can't believe they were once mine.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #21  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post

In any case I'm looking forward to being able to lose this weight, but I'm a bit concerned about the loose skin. When I lost weight the first time I was younger and my skin tightened up afterward. Right now I've already got a pooch of loose skin that appeared a few days before my girls were born, probably because I'm guessing my abdominal muscles separated. I feel like the rest of my belly will probably retract along with the weight going away, but this poochy part might just be here to stay. Sigh. (Side note -- it's kind of funny because my mom saw it and said, "Wow, those twins really did a number on you," then asked me if I would have surgery to have it fixed. Somehow I never figured my mom as the type to recommend that I get a tummy tuck! I doubt I would do it anyway, since supporting my family of 4 on one salary the cost of elective surgery seems like an unnecessary blow to our budget.)
I'm not one to suggest or encourage surgery, but if it is something you ever decide to consider, some tummy tucks can be covered by insurance. You might want to check out the relevant threads, or ask a plastic surgeon about the criteria, if & when. Congrats on your weight loss and twins!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I kept one pair of pants from my old life....

CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post

Wow! That's really impressive. I'm reminded of a pic our former forum moderator had. She lost herself - took off 135 lbs. and ended up maintaining at 135 lbs. She too was standing in pants that looked like they would hold 2 of her.

I think it's totally appropriate to keep one or two things as reminders. I kept nothing as I didn't have that much to lose - size 12 down to size 8 - so the change is nothing as dramatic as Jen's.

Dagmar
Old 02-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #24  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post

That is so awesome!!! I love the idea of keeping something big like that!
I am going to give most of them away but I am also going to keep something big.

Thanks Dagmar and everyone else for the advice on clothes.

Allinnel, don't the years your kids are in college fly by? It's unreal. I did get one skirt altered which cost as much as the skirt itself. It is a skirt with a suit and the suit I got on eBay, it was NWT, but very inexpensive. Had to buy it at my high weight in the summer for a presentation and really like it. The jacket is too big still but that's okay.

Michele, I would tell your DD to go the clinic at her college if she doesn't feel better soon!

Jessica, oh I bet the girls are adorable and what a fun age! I'm no expert but I think that your skin will come back with time and exercise. I'm surprised your mom suggested surgery too! I'm sure she meant well, but she should offer to pay!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #25  

I am on day 5 OP and I'm just a shade under 136 lbs :. Closing in on my redline - will be there by Monday if I can keep from eating in the evenings until then.

Then I'm off to a dog sit for 8 days. This is the first time I am really serious about staying mostly OP at a sit. Usually I usually take it as an excuse to indulge because I'm overworked and lonely and bored and etc. etc.

Not this time. I think I finally have the resolve and motivation again that I had in 2007 when I started all of this. The goal now, by the end of May, is to get to and maintain 132-134 for the next 10 years.

Dagmar
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #26  

I went to my 4th dog obedience class last night and Bogey did surprisingly well. He did bark a couple of times but not nearly like the previous week. We're learning turns and boundaries now. He's really good on sit, sit-stay, down and down-stay. We're still working on leash walking (thus the turns). Meanwhile I remembered a friend here had her dog trained to be her service dog so I contacted her to see where she sent her dog. Turns out it is about an hour drive from here and I liked what I saw on their website. I sent in an inquiry and heard back almost immediately. I talked with one of the trainers and liked it even more so I set up a free evaluation for Bogey on March 15th. At the evaluation they'll determine if he'll need 2 or 4 weeks at dog boot camp to get over his problems. This program is 1/3 of the cost of the guy in Arizona and they include a session to train me, a follow-up session at home a couple weeks later and 6 monthly follow-up sessions (if needed) and if we still need more the additional sessions are only $20 each per month. Granted the follow-up sessions require me driving there but hopefully we won't need too many.

CalCounter~I think all years fly by! We've lived here in the desert for almost 24 years. I think the 11 years in Palm Springs was a fairly long time but it seems like just yesterday that we moved to our present home in Palm Desert, yet that was over 10 years ago now.

We're expecting some huge storm here this week/weekend which really might ruin our Saturday. The bulk of the storm is supposed to be Friday but the outdoor music festival all day on Saturday will still be wet from it regardless. I'm kind of sad. I'm wondering if I should run out for rain gear so if we're sitting and watching the bands play we won't get soaked. I don't know how prepared the festival is for rain. I do know that the don't allow umbrellas. I hope the flooding there is minimal. It's at a polo ground and that will mean mud.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That sounds great for Bogey! The rains just started here this morning. Luckily I got Sir Dewey out before they started. It will be a chore to get him to potty while it's raining.

First step in getting back into a pool to try swimming-- check-- bought googles! I think I'll plan sometime this weekend to try it out.

I know that I'm slow to develop friendships but once I do, they are strong and last a long time. I've been slowly developing friendships with a few ladies at yoga but we haven't gotten together socially or anything yet. One of them is throwing a bridal shower on Sunday for one of the instructors that is marrying another instructor. The bride is from France and doesn't know anyone here so it is sweet for my friend to throw the shower. I'm excited because we'll get together socially which will hopefully inspire more such get togethers. I am worried about the food though because it sounds like everyone is bringing something special (I'm just bringing fruit). I want to make sure my weight is still down for my birthday on Monday so I don't feel guilty indulging, so I'll have to be careful on Sunday.

And, yes, the years have flown. I truly can't believe it. I feel like I just had little kids the other day. One of my students yesterday asked me if I had kids and how old they were. I felt incredibly old telling her that my daughters are 19 and 23. I don't know how that happened....

My younger dd said she is feeling much better today. Thank God. Hopefully she can catch up on her schoolwork as she is really trying to have a good semester after last semester was so terrible.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #28  

Becky~have you ever considered training your bunnies to compete? So cute!
Bunny Show
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #29  

Default more pet stuff

Mudpie is going to the vet's tomorrow - anal gland expression. How do I know my cat needs this? Aren't cats generally very secretive when doing their stuff in their box? No one sent her the memo apparently.

And it's going to be wicked cold. Cats do not wear coats. I'm going to have to wrap her carrier in a big blankie and get DH to drop me right in front of the vet before he goes looking for parking. He will not be amused but we are, after all, in the service of the queen.

Dagmar
Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #30  

Blasting music, singing along and dancing around in my living room tonite - DH is late coming home from work. I just realized this is the first time I've really let loose and had fun in my house. I've been here since the end of October. I will make a point of doing this much, much more often - good for the SOUL!

Dagmar