Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
I love mushrooms!

My weight has been going steadily down for no apparent reason. I think it's because I've found things to distract me in the evening enough that I don't think about eating seconds of dinner. Down at 134 now.
Good job on the weight !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #77  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Megan, I completely get the concept that mushrooms take some getting used to. They have a unique texture, for sure!

saef, thank you - I am one of those people you describe who is still looking, and regretting not following my passion. My gravest fear and what keeps me up at night is that he will choose what he thinks "everybody" wants him to do. I try each week to let him know that while I will have his back no matter what he decides to do, the only way he can disappoint me is if he tries to create a life that hides who he truly is. Fear is just another emotion - we must meet it, understand it, and unless the consequences are potentially fatal, blow it off and go forward anyway. You have an awful lot chewing at you ... I can understand the urge to bite back. You will be okay and will come out of all this chaos knowing for certain how strong you are.

allison, now I'm craving turkey tetrazzini! I haven't had that in decades.

michele, good to hear your scale is back in working form! Sounds like the DDs are giving you a run for your money. Oh, the stress of Prom ... ! It's fun to watch - from a distance.

jessica, congrats on the loss!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Angry totally mad at myself

I don't want hugs or forgiveness or sympathy from you all. I want

I want a way to do that to myself before I binge. I went on a monumental one last night, which lasted basically from the time I got home until bed time, with a time to go out and work and pick up more crap to stuff into my face.

I had all my usual excuses ready - I'm exhausted, I'm alone, I have to work in the evening, waaah!

I have been in this pattern since I was 11 years old. I'm 55 now.

GROW UP DAGMAR!!!

So If I start whining here don't hold my hand. Remind me I'm a grown up and I can make the choice to be healthy just as easily as I can the one to binge.

Thanks!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #79  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Dagmar, there's something about entering "the zone" that screws me up too. Are we afraid of, or complacent about success? Doesn't matter, we could spend the next 45 years analyzing it. And it will probably still trip us up now and then. So.... go back to your dinner salad, shrug it off, and decide if you're going to lose more, or stay at the red line. Going up ... nah, you didn't like that.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #80  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, I don't know if this will help you, but for myself, greater self-discipline and administering a swift kick in the pants to myself and laying down other authoritarian rules and behavior are exactly the WRONG way to react to a binge. They get me nowhere.

Because my binges are a form of rebellion against my more authoritarian side. I see my behaviors with food as a way of acting out a conflict between a strict adult and a mutinous child. (And yes, I know just where that particular script comes from.)

If I am very hard on myself about hewing to a schedule and getting certain things accomplished, and if, in addition to this, I restrict more on food, then I will use food to release the pressure valve.

The only thing that works for me is releasing the pressure in some other way and in avoiding feeling too restricted. If I crack down further, I am likely to rebel again.

Last edited by saef; 05-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #81  

Dagmar, I don't know if I can be any help, I have a spoiled brat living inside me, that says "I want it and I want it now!" Sometimes I can resist and sometimes I can't. I try to ask myself ,"Do you want to weigh over 200 poiunds again, do you want to wear x large clothing again?" Of course the answer is no, but sometimes it seems I am mentally saying "To **** with this, I am tired of dieting all the time". I believe rebellion is at the core in my case, it is a constant battle, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, if I can win more than I lose I'll be happy.
Dagmar, you are a big girl, now. Stay out of the cookies or whatever is calling your name. You will be sorry if you give in to a binge. Stop it !
Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #82  

Becky,Happy Birthday !!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Have a very happy birthday, Becky!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I don't want hugs or forgiveness or sympathy from you all. I want

GROW UP DAGMAR!!!

So If I start whining here don't hold my hand. Remind me I'm a grown up and I can make the choice to be healthy just as easily as I can the one to binge.

Thanks!

Dagmar
Done !!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #85  
Girl Gone Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Off topic, but what flavor of extra gum do you chew? I love the Mint Chocolate Chip! I can't chew for long or my TMJ flares up, but I chew it often! Does it bother your stomach if you have too much?
I chew peppermint, Michele, the plain blue package. There's something antiseptic about it, but also, something sweet. I got in the habit of chewing after lunch & dinner, to signal to myself that I'd stopped eating, with the mint being a sort of toothpaste taste & a breath freshener. But habits can be annoying once I've developed them. I've had the Mint Chocolate Chip, and I totally get why you like it, as I've already decided that would be what I'd chew if I had a hankering for The Girl Scout Cookies That Shall Not be Named. But I seem to prefer my mint straight up, no chocolatey side taste.

Yes, the sorbitol or xylitol or maltitol or whatever is in the gum has an effect on my gut that isn't good. After chewing through two straight packs, I've become socially unacceptably gassy, where I want to sequester myself from the world for a few hours, to spare everyone from my presence. I've even gotten painful gas cramps. Does this stop me? No, because chewing sugarless gum has become my vestigial binge behavior. I would like to stop the behavior entirely. Aside from the physical discomfort, and the danger to wearing down my teeth, it just isn't good to be chewing out my stress, rather than soothing it in other ways.

Last edited by saef; 05-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #86  
Workin' It

Happy birthday, Becky!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #87  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Saef, I too hope this will be the year I figure things out and make some moves.

Last night's dinner was magnificent. We all agreed the morel bisque with the hazelnut creme was our favorite course - wish they sold it by the gallon for take-home (but it's a good thing they don't!). I had the braised lamb with the brandy/morel sauce and morel risotto. Today my innards are mildly piqued about the radical diet change - nothing serious and probably a good signal that I shouldn't eat like that often! I'm up a mere pound, surprisingly. Here is the menu:
AMUSE
Morel Fritto, Buttermilk Onion Aioli (oh, what a great way to start!)
SOUP
Morel Mushroom Bisque, Toasted Almond Crema (they switched to hazelnut)
SALAD
Local Lettuce, Chipped Cheese, Baby Morels, Morel Crisp, Roasted Garlic-Morel Dressing (best dressing EVER)
FISH COURSE
Red Perch, Morel & Cracker Crust, Morel Mushroom Quinoa, Sauteed Fiddlehead Ferns, Hiwa Kai Salt (tender and great balance of flavors)
SORBET
Chocolate w/Morel "dust" (could have been dessert; yum!)
ENTREE, Choice of...
Morel Mushroom-Stuffed Tenderloin of Beef, Braised Wild Ramps, Cabernet Morel Jus
• OR • Morel Wellington, Baked Rutabaga and
Morels, Toasted Chive Cream
• OR • Braised Lamb with Brandy/Morel Reduction; Morel Risotto and Roasted Young Ramps (Divine. Good thing it was only about 2oz of meat)
CHEESE COURSE
Herbed Derby, Morel Honey (nice contrast between the sage and the honey)
DESSERT
Vanilla Pot de Creme, Morel Mushroom Brulee, Sesame Froth (could have been half its size; we were STUFFED!!!)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #88  
Girl Gone Strong

Becky, that menu is poetry. Sheer poetry.

You dined like a Wall Street financier who's interested in the farm-to-table foodie movement and drove upstate to the Rockefeller farm for a night out.

Now that was a birthday splurge well worth any calories. It was an aesthetic, cultural and sensual experience.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

That menu does sound enchanting!

We're going out to dinner tonight--a black tie gala for those of us who donated more than a certain amount to our local YMCA. It's held annually at a restaurant called Wally's Desert Turtle just days before the restaurant closes for the summer. We went last year and LOVED the food so we treated my in-laws to dinner there for their 50th wedding anniversary. It's that kind of restaurant--not one you'd dine at unless it is for something very special.

Chico isn't having a good day. I don't think he had a good day yesterday, either. He has not moved since he got to the office 3 1/2 hours ago. He ate okay yesterday and today, but something just isn't right with him. We bought an oversized ottoman that was delivered yesterday to aid him getting off the bed. We had him use it three times last night and thought he understood the concept, but when it was bedtime, he didn't want to sleep on the bed. Instead, the cats used it as a catapult all night--run full speed down the hall, catapult off the ottoman and land on my face. Not quite what I had intended for it's use! I think the next purchase is a memory foam bed for him. He has a bed, but it's really lumpy and they say for amputees, the memory foam is more comfortable for them.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #90  

Becky, I wosh I could have been at your dinner. My family used to go hunting for wild mushrooms. I tried to point out to my mother how dangerous that could be , she said ,"Oh, I know Morels".