Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #31  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I've just started experimenting with nail polish again. I wanted pale blue 20 years ago before it was available (and I was right - it looks fantastic!). Now that the piano lessons are on hiatus, my nails are growing furiously. Decorating them is probably the only "girly" thing I enjoy. By tonight, they'll be a pale pastel green.

My weight hasn't moved a bit; I expected a drop. The numbers said I should have had a drop by the end of this week. Ah, the mystery of weight loss. I will admit that I'm getting annoyed with this little dance around 150 that's been going on for two months now. It's becoming obvious that I need to do something different, as I'm not ready to conclude that this is the best I can do.

allison, I'll be thinking about you and Chico today. Please let us know how things turn out.

krampus, best wishes for your uncle's recovery. Congrats on feeling the "groove" with your weight!

dagmar, thumbs up on hurdling over the red line!

saef, I'm happy that you're rounding the corner on the reconstruction, finally. Count me in among those who are looking forward to seeing pictures of your new nest, and to seeing you get settled again.

to all! TGIF!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Allison. thinking about you today. I know you will make the right decision for Chico. I am in your corner and his. I pray for the best possible outcome.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
My weight hasn't moved a bit; I expected a drop. The numbers said I should have had a drop by the end of this week. Ah, the mystery of weight loss. I will admit that I'm getting annoyed with this little dance around 150 that's been going on for two months now. It's becoming obvious that I need to do something different, as I'm not ready to conclude that this is the best I can do.
Yup, the dance is not fun. I've given into the munchies a little too much and have found myself back up to 151 for two days. That doesn't usually happen this time of the week. And we're going out for Italian Sunday for Mother's day, so I feel that I might be even further up Monday if I'm not careful.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #34  
Workin' It

I can't keep my nails nice and neat to save my life. I like acrylics - I can usually maintain those for several weeks, get a fill and move on. I did find that they weakened by real nails, but as they were already weak and split on their own pre-acrylic I'm not bothered by it. They actually seem stronger now when bare after a few years of the acrylic nails. I had no success with gel when I tried it. I may take myself for a mani-pedi after my 5k tomorrow. Pretty hands and feet for my birthday next week would be nice.

My coworkers decorated my office for my birthday today. One of them is going to be out of the office all next week at a conference, so they wouldn't have been able to do it on Tuesday. It made for a nice start to the day.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #35  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, I love that picture, not just because of the gorgeous flowers, which I'd love to plunge my face into and inhale thoroughly, but because of the paper-clipped tax forms on the desk just to the right, which are probably very high on your to-do list today.

From one deskbound female to another: Have an expeditious Friday and an excellent weekend. ;-)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #36  
Chuggin' along...

Shannon, how nice of your coworkers! Happy almost birthday.

Becky, painting nails odd colors is fun! I've started doing my toes again as well, after a several year hiatus. I don't bother with my fingernails. They get wrecked instantly at work. Sorry your scale isn't cooperating. It's SO frustrating when that happens.

Krampus, sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope he recovers soon.

I have been a little meh this week and I think it can be attributed to standard culprits: not quite enough sleep and PMS. Easy in theory to fix. I've been staying up reading "Mockingjay" the third Hunger Games book. Sometimes being a bookworm makes life hard. I also haven't made the time for a decent workout in a few days. That will change today, even if I'm tired!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #37  

I left Chico at the vet for an hour or so. We're proceeding with chemo and he's getting his first iv today as well as an anabolic steroid. I had them check his ear as it's been bothering him since before the surgery and he has a yeast infection, so he'll get drops for that. In a few days I will give him an oral chemo pill--just one--and then we'll go back in a month to see how he's doing. The doctor is mainly concerned with Chico's quality of life and I said I'll know he's got a good quality of life when he picks his tennis ball up again (the dog is a fetching fool). He is quite confident we will be able to keep him around for about a year because the cancer has not spread (liver and lungs are where this usually shows up). It's a nasty cancer, but we got it fairly early. Still, only a year...that really hurts.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #38  

[quote=alinnell;4329919 Still, only a year...that really hurts.[/quote]

But I know Chico will get more love in that year than some dogs will get in a lifetime.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #39  
Workin' It

Saef - yes, the IRS logo is quite distinctive, isn't it? It is quite the focus of my day today, and the stack is almost cleared. Well - at least the first step in clearing each item has been taken and the priority of each one has shifted accordingly.

Allison - I'm sure that Chico will have a fabulous quality of life in this year, with so much love that he won't know what to do with it all.

Megan - it is tough being a reader sometimes... I plowed through all three books Easter weekend. There wasn't much sleeping, or anything else really, all weekend long.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I find novels aimed mainly at a "teen" audience to be the easiest for me to read when I'm dead tired after work. I couldn't put the "Hunger Games" set down at the dog sit. Convenient that they usuallly come in trilogies too. I have just finished "The Mortal Instruments" trilogy and am passing them along to my 11 year old niece. She has totally liked the last 2 sets I've given her.

I ordered John Irving's latest and know I will enjoy it immensely. Turns out he is doing a reading in Toronto at the end of the month but, by the time I found out, it was totally sold out. SIGH. He's a real hottie too!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
I've been staying up reading "Mockingjay" the third Hunger Games book.
Tell me about it.

I just finished "Mockingjay" by staying up late and returned it to the library. I complained about the ending to the library staff - all of whom have read it. But I can't say why since that would be a spoiler. The one thing Katniss needs is to keep us wondering.

I do confess that I got lost at times at the angst about whether to kiss or not. And wither Gale or Peeta.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #42  

Quote:
I do confess that I got lost at times at the angst about whether to kiss or not. And wither Gale or Peeta.
It's because you're a guy. And not a teenager! LOL

I loved all the books, breezed through the trio in less than a week--about a year ago and since then have read too many to remember exactly how each book unfolded.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #43  

Oh, oh, oh! DD posted a link to her recital: Dana & Ryan's recital. It's not the whole thing--just the first part. I'll see if there is more. Nope, not yet.

I'm so proud--she's lost 30 pounds!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #44  

Allion, your daughter is so talented, I always thought the marimba was difficult to play . She looks great, too . Losing 30 pounds is a great accomplishment.She is wise to do it now when she is young. The older you get the harder it is to lose those dreaded, unwanted pounds.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-12-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #45  
Chuggin' along...

Allison, you must be so proud! DD is very talented. I think getting my weight under control before I went into the "real world" after college really helped me make it a permanent lifestyle change - hope the same goes for DD. Congrats to her! 30 lbs is great!

I started Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series as a teenager and had to put them down. They were too long and the plot too intricate to read since I didn't have much time to read them when in school. I'm finally reading it again and am on book 12 of 14. Each book is 600-700 pages. Now that's a long series! But I really enjoy them. I usually have about 4 books going at once. I only have 50 pages left of Mockingjay and will finish this morning. Shh, don't spoil it!

I don't have much in particular planned for the weekend, other than long dog wogs, of course. BF has to work today, and the weather is making a boat ride impossible. I'm sure I'll come up w something to keep busy (or I'll just read, lol). What are everyone's plans for the weekend?

Last edited by Megan1982; 05-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote