Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Anyone have constipation issues?
I have never had them-- usually the opposite in fact. The past few months I have had issues though and my weight keeps creeping up. I'm thinking the two are related as most of the weight seems to be centered in my stomach. I've taken some laxatives and they help but I'm worried about them causing issues. I don't know how often I can/should take them.

I'm eating plenty of fruit, drinking water, exercising. Any other suggestions? Sorry for the gross subject matter!
I think the laxatives can cause a rebound problem. If you take enough of them for a long time then your digestive system stops functioning properly on its own.

I know, for me, constipation is a constant problem. Whenever it becomes acute I drink more water and eat a bit more fat. That seems to take me back to my "normal" level in a couple of days.

I also found taking a fibre supplement worked really well for me for a brief time. Then my body reverted back to default.

Happy Friday!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #32  

Two more days with the dog and then I'm back home. This has been a really good sit. I tend to binge eat when I'm bored and lonely and I did that here but only once. The dog is old enough that she is company without being intrusive. I have all the books I can ever want to read, real high speed internet and HD big screen TV. And a parking spot every day without a fight!

And although I'm living right across the street from my dad he hasn't bothered me at all. I was dreading his intrusions/demands (last time he came across and knocked on the door almost every day or flagged me down while I was in my car) but they haven't happened.

I have to take him grocery shopping tomorrow (I might get a service to do that but I'll have to pay) and I know there's going to be an argument about a letter he wants me to type. He wants to go after the lawyers who settled his first lawsuit after my mother's death.

I don't want to relive all that for the 3rd time. But I do want to know what dad's up to so I'll have to partially acquiesce. Compromise - the guiding principle of my life it seems.

DH is preparing dinner tonite. I have to keep reminding myself to just eat whatever he makes. If I ask for something additional or criticise in any way he will freak out. He will probably make canned soup and Caesar salad. I will eat quietly, thank him and leave.

Sometimes I have thoughts of just packing a bag and getting on a plane to Kelowna (our retirement destination) by myself. But you can never outrun your past.

Sounds like I have end-of-winter syndrome! More snow in the forecast today - AIIIGHH!!!

TGIF!!!

Dagmar
Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #33  
Workin' It

Dagmar -

Michele - I have constipation issues all the time. Laxatives don't help, stool softener doesn't help, more fiber doesn't help. Like Dagmar, when I eat more fat one day it tends to start things moving again. I don't notice a difference with it with more water.

I'm feeling a little better today - got a little more rest, feel a little more settled. We are taking DSS to the circus on Sunday, my MIL is spending the night Saturday night to have a little more time to hang out with him, she hasn't seen him in the last several weeks. Now I just have to clean the bathroom she will be using.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #34  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Michele, IIRC don't you have thyroid problems? Constipation + weight gain could mean that you need to have your meds adjusted.

Dagmar, I have end of winter syndrome too! It was so nice and warm (haha, "warm" meaning 45 degrees) last week and today it is snowing and icing again.

Tomorrow night DH and I get to go out together for the first time since Carter's surgery. MIL is going to dogsit him for us for a few hours since we have symphony tickets.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica (and others)-- yes, I do have thyroid problems. I checked to see when my thyroid was tested and it hasn't yet been a year so I was going to wait until my physical but I don't think I want to wait. I'm also thinking thyroid. And I misspoke-- I haven't taken laxatives-- I've taken stool softeners and I'm trying to only take one or two once or twice a week to avoid my digestive system relying on them. I'm going to try to cut down on my cheese intake and see if that helps any.

Going to call the doctor now for a thyroid check....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #36  
Working My Way Back Down

Haven't been home much this week, and not on the computer when I was. We have been doing our taxes, among other things. Groan.

Michele - Fruits, veggies, lots (and lots) of water and the occasional stool softener usually helps me. And yes, cut back on the cheese which is known to be constipating.

Jessica - glad to hear that Carter is doing better. I'm getting a visual on the underwater treadmill and laughing....

Megan - try to pace yourself, and get plenty of sleep, and these two months will be easier. Puppies are soooo cute, I can certainly understand why you got her.

Dagmar - Glad you had a few days to yourself.

We've had several inches of snow this week, but that means it has also warmed up to the high 20's which is nice. Today is clear and sunny so very pretty with the new snow. I'm off to do some grocery shopping and other errands. I stripped the bed this morning, put out the clean sheets and then went to answer the phone. Came back to find my younger cat burrowed into the sheets and sound asleep. Guess I'll make the bed later.

Last edited by WaterRat; 02-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #37  
Workin' It

Pat, I love that you waited to make your bed because your cat was napping.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #38  
Working My Way Back Down

yeah, well, 2 hours later she's still there and the other one is in my lap, trying to lay across my arm while I type. Meanwhile, I've been to the library, the grocery store, the coffee shop and done 2 loads of laundry....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #39  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I had to work today, and packing for an offshore research cruise leaving tomorrow AM. I took Thursday off to be my "weekend" but it was really just filled with chores to get done. I'm not sure how this cruise will go - but apparently we don't have night watches, get showers, and were told to "bring something to read for your down time" so it will be more luxurious than others I've been on. I think I need to go do laundry in order to pack, though. Sigh.

Pat, high 20's. Umm... glad that you are enjoying that? (Brrrrr) Welcome back from your trip! I must have missed it if you posted any pics - did you post any? Should I go back and search a thread for them? Aww your kitty sounds cute.

Michele, lots of popcorn helps me with that problem. Usually though it's stress that makes me irregular, bc I eat so much fiber all the time that's not the problem.

Dagmar, at least there is salad?

Shannon, sorry DSS was so cranky and blamed things on you. I know that you know there's nothing you could have done, and kids just don't understand things sometimes. If I ever meet DH's ex I will kick her on your behalf, bc I'm sure you must pretend you are above such things.

Jessica, I'm so glad Carter continues to improve! I hope you and DH enjoy yourselves tonight, you could certainly use the relaxation.

Now off to do laundry, and pack. We're going to a benefit for a friend of BF's who passed away later, but I'm DD and we'll come home early - not going to stay out late drinking before I go out on a boat for 3 days. Have a good weekend (and Monday & Tuesday) all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #40  

DH and I got "new" (used) computers. My new one is wicked fast compared to the old. But my old keyboard doesn't work with the new plug in slot. DH has given me this ergonomic keyboard and I just can't type with it. I have to constantly look at all the keys as I type.

Guess I'm off to the store today to try to get a keyboard.

All of my bookmarks are also missing/scrambled etc. I'm hoping DH can help me with that too. I wanted to reinstall all the stuff myself to learn how to do it but apparently I'm just too darn slow.

I did manage to find 3FC and Hotmail and yippee my clients are back and I don't have to go over there in an hour to let the dog out for a pee.

DH has a terrible chest cold (again) so I didn't get much sleep last night. I'm going to suggest that rum is NOT a good cure (or sleep aid, especially for me ). DH's snoring intensifies to the point of being unbearable when he's got a cold and the alcohol only adds to it. I was wearing earplugs and finally went two closed doors away to the couch but could still faintly hear him!

It's going to be a long day today. Didn't get to the grocery store yesterday so there's that and I'm doing a dog walk at noon. I have a bunch of other stuff (cooking, laundry, etc. ) to catch up on as well.

I'm going to sleep in the gym on the air mattress tonite. I really need some sleep!

Good Sunday all!

Dagmar
Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Too bad we don't live near, Dagmar, I'm trying to get rid of bunches of old mice and keyboards.

It's snowing.
Again.
I don't want to shovel.
Again.

If I were a good maintainer, I'd spontaneous have the thought that more shoveling is more exercise. Which is good for me. So celebration time!!!

It didn't work.
The ground is frozen, so can't go eat worms.

Thank goodness I bought my DH two bunches of daffodils at Trader Joe's yesterday. It's Spring somewhere.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #42  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Bill, it's spring here. Sorry, I just couldn't help gloating a little. I used to live in New England, and I remember snow shoveling. and shoveling. and shoveling. and chipping ice off the eves of the roof. And spreading sand/salt. and chipping ice out of the storm drains. and then I moved...

Yesterday I powerwashed one side of the house. I spontaneously thought it would be good exercise. So sick!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #43  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Daffodils in the garden here, Bill. And lambs in the field. Come on over!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #44  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This once, Bill, New York and Boston are not in synch. Or at least not exactly. I hear talk of "wintry mix" this evening, which sounds sort of like "bridge mix" but instead of salty mixed nuts & Chex, it is apparently snow, ice and rain. But right now that feels like a far-fetched rumor. Instead it feels Easter-ish. So I'm hard-boiling some eggs, though not coloring them. I could totally go for a bunch of daffodils today -- that was so delightfully thoughtful of you to bring some home for your DH.

I feel good today but tired. I should log onto the VPN & do some office work to get ahead for Monday but am not in the mood.

I still need to roast cabbage & do a load of laundry. Those gym clothes do pile up.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Bill, it's spring here. Sorry, I just couldn't help gloating a little. I used to live in New England, and I remember snow shoveling. and shoveling. and shoveling. and chipping ice off the eves of the roof. And spreading sand/salt. and chipping ice out of the storm drains. and then I moved...

Yesterday I powerwashed one side of the house. I spontaneously thought it would be good exercise. So sick!

Jay
AAAARRRGGHHH!!! We had gentle, fluffy snow but lots and lots of it.

Luther, the 11 year old lab, loved it! He was rolling around like a puppy.

Bill re the daffodils - you're a good husband . Bet your wife had a big smile on her face when you gave them to her.

I am making a pork roast tonite, along with oven baked rosemary "fries" and big salads . I think (based on evidence in the recycling) DH has been subsisting on a diet of rum, brownies, and frozen chicken parts. SIGH.

He has managed to not drink a single coffee all week . That's all part of the health plan so I'm patting him on the back for that!

Dagmar