Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #46  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Team In Training usually advertises themselves as TNT, not TIT, for obvious reasons!

The info meeting was interesting, and I think it's definitely something I want to do, but right now they're only forming teams for two marathons/half marathons that are in January. I think I'm going to wait and maybe join up when they put together the teams for the Olympic distance triathlon that's in June.

Shannon, I hope your DH is okay!

Hi to everyone else, just a flyby for me since I've been so busy in training at work the past couple days. At least they gave us relatively reasonable food for lunches instead of the disgusting greasy sandwiches that I dread.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm sure this isn't a good thing, but I just found out they're building a Five Guys here. I read the other day that Five Guys beat out In-N-Out in Zygat's, so I'm sure it's something that we'll have to try at least once. Thankfully it is kind of out of the way, so we won't go there often! In fact, they've opened a Sonic and we've never made it there! I guess we aren't that much into fast food any more (however it is our weekend lunch staple--Del Taco is our favorite).

Ok, enough about that!

My dog and kitten are starting to get along better. Yesterday, Chico was lying in my lap being petted and Ringo would come out from under the bed and attack his feet and occasionally do a full body attack and run away. Chico didn't budge. But I still think that Chico is afraid of Ringo, he just didn't budge because he was content with my petting him during the ordeal! Later that evening, I held Ringo and Chico licked his ears a little and Ringo didn't even try to escape, so I think he's feeling confident around the dogs. In fact, when we're all in the kitchen, Ringo will come in and play and basically ignore that the dogs are there, too.

I didn't get my workout in this morning. All day yesterday my entire leg hurt and I felt that I needed to give myself a break. I should reschedule it for tomorrow, though.

I'm feeling a shopping urge. I want to look for shoes! And if I get shoes, I may have to get a new outfit, too! We'll see if there is time this weekend. After work today, I have to run to Costco, which means go home and pick up DS so he can drive me (he needs the practice!).

No big plans for the weekend. What about you all? Have a Happy Friday!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #48  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Allison, I love Five Guys. It's the only fast food I eat. They have the calorie info online -- it ain't pretty, but it can be worked in as necessary. Coincidentally, ours is next to Famous Footwear, so I always stop in after. So just like your post -- Five Guys and shoe shopping! And I can't believe how early you get up! That takes some personal fortitude.

We had a great time at the Fair and my only treat was the soft-serve I'd planned for. I bet I was the only person at the Fair with an apple, baby carrots and sugar snap peas in my purse!

Now I'm off to get packing for the beach. So many details -- not my strength! Hope everyone has a good week!

Amy
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #49  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Finally done with training! Whew. I ate way too much junk during the past few days at work. It wasn't pretty. It also just occurred to me I should have been on much better behavior since I'm going on vacation next week.

Hey Allison and anyone else in the SoCal area -- anyone know someone who is looking for a dog? My sister found a stray and is trying to find a home for him. He's a very sweet and eager to please pit puppy. If you know anyone who is interested PM me and I'll send them a link to see photos and contact my sister.

Speaking of dogs, our sitter came again today for another midday visit with Carter in preparation for our upcoming vacation. He was very good, didn't bark at her once he realized who she was, went for a walk with her, and then got some belly rubs. What a good boy! I'm glad we had these trial runs because now I feel much more confident that Carter will be in very good hands while we're gone. I'm going to miss him a lot though.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Just a quickie to report on my state fair entries. I won a first prize for my caramel oatmeal bars and a second prize for blueberry muffins. I didn't get anything for the brownies (dang you, Barefoot Contessa!). Pretty good for someone who is gluten intolerant--didn't taste a single entry, although my DH did, but there isn't much that I can put in front of him that he doesn't like. I decided that next year I'm going to enter some flowers and some veggies. Entering them is easier than baking on a 90 degree day.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #51  
Chuggin' along...

Good evening all,

I must be a glutton for punishment. The sun has been kicking my butt this week, and what do I do on the weekend? Go diving, which involves a lot of being on the sun in a boat! Ah well at least I wasn't out all day today and I've been good about my sunblock and long sleeves. Today the boat lift has issues, our net got stuck, then we accidentally pulled the plug out of the bottom of the boat while getting the net unstuck - which meant the boat was taking on water. We decided to go home (quickly). TGIF. BF just replaced some dive gear that was stolen 2 years ago so he's eager to try it out before our October Keys trip. I'm hoping for some fish too! I went to the gym 4 days this week and have activity planned for Saturday, so I think my activity goal of 5 days will be met this week. I also made it a whole week without heading into the candy jars at work.

Sheila, congrats on the state fair prizes! Those must be some yummy entries.

Amy, way to stay OP at the fair. I'll bet you were the only one with all that healthy food in your purse. Good for you!

Allison, I love the logic of needing a new outfit if you get new shoes. I love Famous Footwear just like Amy, too.

What is everyone up to for the weekend? And where is new grandma Meg? She's been gone quite a while... Meg, we miss you!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #52  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Sheila, congrats on the fair winners. That's got to be hard to bake without every tasting it to know if it's good. You did great!

Megan, I thought of you on the doggie walk the morning. A couple weeks ago I had to start wearing my headlamp since it's too dark at 5 am. So DH and I start up the big hill, all 4 dogs happily prancing about.

AND A BAT SWOOPS IN TOWARD MY HEADLAMP!!!

I thought I'd freak. DH thought it was cool. So I'm thinking, I so despise bats and I wanna go home. Then I thought of you and the bat houses. Now I want one so the dang bat stays in it while I'm walking my dogs.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Talking Laughing myself silly today

Finally got a chance to sit down and log in (went home to get my password etc.). I am posting while wearing the rather fetching outfit of one of my tee shirts and a pair of rather large boxers, borrowed from my client while my shorts are in the wash.

The stealth peeing cat got into my dirty clothes hamper this morning while I had the dog out in the pouring rain. My one clean pair of shorts were soaked by the time we got back. The rest of my clothes really, really needed a wash after Hosni got through with them.

So one dog is incredibly old and I have to now lift him up with a towel and support his back legs with it while taking him out. And the young dog is incredibly itchy (from the algae in the lake) and I've had to put the cone restraint on his head. I am applying Lanacane ointment to various private parts of his anatomy where he seems to have the worst allergic reaction.

I'm having a time here but it's so silly it's making me laugh too.

Now I'm gonna love up the sweetie pet of the house. He's a huge black and white cat and he's a doll. Like my own little panda bear. He's lying geside the keyboard making come hither eyes at me - I can't resist!

Dagmar but
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #54  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar, I hope you get paid extra for all this special pet care! Sounds above-and-beyond the call of duty.

It's the first day of our extended-family beach vacation and my eating habits are getting an uncomfortable amount of scrutiny. What I'm eating and why, "can you have that?" etc etc. Flaxseed, greek yogurt, etc. Hopefully it will blow over in a day or two. I never realized how much other people influence my eating. I feel compelled to eat off-plan things (lots of treats in the house) just to show I am not overboard. (i've gotten two "Are you OK?"'s and one "You're going to waste away.")

Oh, dear. Maintainers, give me strength.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Amy I wonder why all sorts of people feel compelled to urge others to eat. Is it because so many people are frustrated by their own weight loss failure? I had only lost about 10 lbs (and I'm am far from"skinny" now at 135) and my aunt asked me if I was anorexic (!). I wore a size 10- not a 1, a 10) at the time.

Very frustrating! I mentally now do "la,la,la" if I sense the conversation is going in that direction, smile, shrug, and walk away.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #56  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Amy, I feel your pain minus 3 weeks. Our vacation home was horrendous on the food front. I think I labeled it a train wreck. My mom stuffed a stick of butter in a defenseless turkey breast. So a good food became a bad food. I endured through tiny portions and loads of exercise. You can hold strong.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote