Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default Planning meals reduces stress

Howdy,
I have another crazy week and a half. 4 days in hotel helping with a very large charity event followed by 4 days at my moms and siblings the following week. I have had stressful eating situations during my weight loss journey but it took me sleeping overnight to realize to just plan the meals out. Call ahead and pack my food to take. See if there is a refrigerator in the room (need to rent one) and use it. When I eat out- meat and veggies.

As soon as I realized to just plan, my stress went down. However, I am a bit surprised I did not just automatically think of it.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #2  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Thumbs up

Karen, Excellent Insight.
I think there is great deal of truth in that saying:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
Many of us really do plan to fail to eat at maintenance level during our vacations.
I find that with planning, I can make travel comfortable for myself.

Some of the things I normally do are:
Before I make hotel reservations I always check to see
if a refrigerator is either in the room or
will be made available for a small extra charge.
I always make certain I pack some "back-up" food
in case the choices I'm faced with are inappropriate for me.
I am not a coffee drinker, and I like my morning tea very hot, so
I also always pack a small hot pot, along with my favorite tea bags etc,
so I can have my normal morning beverage...just as I prefer...the first thing.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #3  

Bright Angel-
Thanks for the tips. I so enjoy reading your posts

What surprised me about myself, is that I did not plan out of habit. I resorted to my old way of thinking in regards to eating- figure out in the moment, except I now felt a bit anxious (this is new). It took me a while (overnight) to realize my unease came from the challenging eating situations presenting themselves without planning it out on my pda. I guess it will take a bit more time for these new ways to become old ways.
Karen
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

You both make excellent points about planning for eating away from home.

I did that for the first time ever for my upcoming vacation. I booked into a hotel that gives me a room with a fridge and microwave and coffee maker. I also am a tea drinker so I might even buy a cheap cheap electric kettle and leave it after I'm done.

The hotel is a chain that's also in Canada and I am familiar with their continental breakfast (fruit, toast and eggs, or cereal and milk). One meal choice done.

I looked up where the closest grocery store and drug stores are (isn't the internet great?) and will lay in some supplies to make my own lunches and take along my own beverages for all my sightseeing trips. Second meal choice and afternoon snack done.

And finally I'm going to look up a bunch of restaurants wiht their menus online. I'll base my dinner decision for each day on what I find out. And I will also consult with the folks here for their recommendations for restaurants.

I will keep only fruit and yogurt in my room fridge so that if I start snacking at night it will be healthy stuff.

I will splurge on a couple of meals and have a couple of area specialties. My regular maintenance plan does allow for treats, just not every day!

I anticipate that I will weigh about the same at the end of this, rather than packing on about 5 lbs. as I have done in the past.

Only took me 2 years to get the hang of this maintenance thing

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #5  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Mudpie, Sounds like a Great Plan.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Only took me 2 years to get the hang of this maintenance thing
Dagmar
Great ideas!

Isn't that the truth for me:-) I have traveled throughout my WL, why I didn't just start planning is a mystery to me. Getting ready to leave for 4 day stay at hotel, consulted my pda for previously planned meals, ready to go.

Also heading to Cracker Barrel (lunch low carb chicken) & Black-eyed pea (dinner grilled catfish no rice double veggies) on one day with family. Bringing my own low cal/carb breakfast & lunch to give me wiggle room with dinner. I really dislike coming home weight gain.