Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #31  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

MsP, oh I so get the eating crap food and still being in the calories. I do that. Lately a lot. I had CAKE for dinner last night. I was actually about 150 calories under but it was crap calories. It’s a horrible habit I need to stop immediately.

Iris, You’ll have fun at the Stark Admiration Movie. Apparently my DH thinks it’s ok I drool at his movies.

Allison, it snowed yesterday. For six hours. I’m looking forward to your mid-70’s although mid-90’s is more my thing.

Kim, I hate bench seats at restaurants. If the table is moveable, I pull it to me and DH hates that. Too bad. I’m glad your ex-BF situation is resolved. Stress makes the munchies monster stronger.

Shannon, how awesome you raced the end with a teenage boy. Would you ever have dreamed that possible before your new lifestyle? You ROCK!!! And I think you’re right with the bikini. It’s being packed and there won’t be room for the tankini.

So today I did an impromptu trip to the dr. My nurse practioner is usually in charge of the walk-in part of the clinic and she was today. I’ve had nasty shoulder pain for 6 weeks. Two weeks ago when I was there I mentioned it in passing because I figured I’d been sleeping on it wrong. Well last night the pain jolted me awake and I had to admit there is a problem and I haven’t slept on it for weeks. So I was across the street (at the dentist – a medical morning) and decided to walk-in. Yep, she was there but they decided to squeeze me into my real dr. (who I’d never met – long story – but now that I have – he’s amazing). Apparently my resolve to do strength training screwed me up. I have bicep tendonitis. He says, “Stop doing the exercise that’s hurting it.” Me: “That’s logical” then I explain I hate strength training and now that I’m 8+weeks into the resolve, I really don’t want to quit. He said, “I don’t want you to quit. I want you to quit the shoulder press and concentration curls that are aggravating it”. Then he added ice and Aleve (I’d never had that before) and Physical Therapy. I have the 1st PT appointment on Monday. I swear this strength stuff is for the birds. But I won’t quit. And my hope is the PT can help me get pain free and learn how to do the strength training for the shoulders properly. All in all, a good day. Apparently me ignoring the inflammation wasn’t going to make it go away. BTW, my dr. is an avid skier so we chatted about all the ski areas in the area. Bicep tendonitis… I’d never heard of that.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

marie - did i see that correctly? You said it snowed for 6hrs yesterday? and you are in oregon??
take care of that tendonitis - it can get really painful

shannon - your morning sounded like a scene from a stain remover or paper towel ad. good to hear you can laugh about it

and yes - everyone who commented is right - i will immediately stop that silliness of comparing myself to others.

it is gorgeous here - i am heading out for a training run - so i can do my best in the upcoming 1/2 marathon

s
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #33  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Sznn, yes - 6 hours of snow although very little stuck. I guess if was about 2" of snow. I have dreams that will be the last of it. I always did wear the rose colored glasses. BTW, where I live is the southern most part of Oregon but our elevation is 4100' and that seems to be the problem. But in the summer it's a pay off since it'll reach 100 degrees and get down to the 50's at night. At one point this past year I thought snow was pretty. Now it just looks like snot falling from the nasty clouds.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Marie - i think i have been in your area, it is like high desert isn't it?
We went through 2x - once driving to nevada and another time going climbing at Smith Rock. Am i thinking of the right area (guess i could look on a map)
Hope you've seen the last of your snow.

Run was OK tonight - slow and i felt a bit stiff from the 10k.
Came home and gardened - then ate too many almonds
Somebody hide those tamari almonds already
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Speaking of hiding food it just occured to me this morning that I can put all the temptation food that my client left out on the counter for me away into another part of her house.

The cats and I hang out in the kitchen and living room. The food can go downstairs until the end of my last visit.

I was really stressed and frustrated and physically very cold yesterday and bang! 3 full size Coffee Crisp bars went down my greedy gullet. Then the better part of a package of cookies that I didn't even like - ARRRGGHHH!!!

I had healthy snacks with me too. I am at myself.

Today I will start again. I'm heading over there at 7 and the first thing I'm going to do is put all the rest of her snacks downstairs out of my sight.

This should work for my dog sits too! Too bad I had to eat all that crap before the light bulb tuned on. But at least it's lit now!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #36  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Feeling pretty good this morning after seeing this morning that the last trace of that Mother's Day brunch indulgence finally left. I'm off to another busy day, going to mom's to help set up for the sale this weekend. Hope the rain holds off for us and maybe it would be nice to us and warm up a bit! This 50 degreee weather in mid-May is for the birds!
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #37  
Workin' It

Good morning all. I'm still hanging on to Mother's Day bloat... too many meals out in a few short days, then started strength training back up on Monday and am sore today... And, on top of that I mis-entered my pre-workout PB&J so came in at 300 cals over last night before I realized it... Ack. Even with that, I'm still lower than my high points of recent months so I'm okay.

MsP - It is sunny and hot here... hope the weather holds for you sale!

Dagmar - put the food away! Absolutely!

Susan - I feel like I've been slow since the half marathon... Ick. How is the ankle doing? I can't buy Sahale almonds anymore, I just have no self control where they are concerned.

Marie - I imagine all that snow does get old after a while. on packing the bikini! Just say no to the tankini! I've never heard of bicep tendonitis - be careful!

Kim - sorry about the breakup, but does sound like it is for the best? And I notice bigger people now, too. All over the place, more than I used to. I find myself wanting to stop them from walking into the AYCE pizza buffet, or to stop the people in line ahead of me at work ordering 4-6 chili dogs & onion rings (truly, happens at least once a week). I sometimes wonder if losing the weight has made me more judgemental, actually. I am so obsessed with being healthy now, it almost aggravates me to see others who don't seem to care as much. Which then makes me feel guilty, because I don't know their situations and who am I to judge? Anyway... I wandered.

Feeling pretty good today even with the bloaty squish feeling. It is also the week before TOM, which is historically ick anyway...

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Glad your day started out better today, Shannon!

I had a good day yesterday. I must have done something right as the scale was nice to me this morning.

I'm seriously contemplating seeing the doctor about my knee, but I'm afraid he'll tell me to stop golfing. It's not the walking that hurts--it's the twisting when hitting. Ugh. Perhaps he'll just suggest a brace?

I think I might go back to having a ticker...just until my weight gets closer to red line. Whaddya think?

DS might be getting a kitty! He's always wanted a small dog or a cat and a friend's daughter's cat is pregnant. She's really pretty--a mix, with deep blue eyes and the looks of a Siamese (although her littermates were tabbies). We'll see...

Went to Trader Joe's yesterday and bought an impulse item. Dark chocolate covered "power berries." Mostly acai berries, but other berries as well. I'm NOT sold on them--way, way too sour. Even the dark chocolate doesn't take the edge off of them. At least this way I know I won't over eat them!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #39  
Workin' It

Hey Allison - a ticker would be a nice visual, helps me a lot. My uncle golfs in a knee brace, and my brother has been thinking about wearing one. They both have trouble with the twisting, too. New kitty. Sweet. i wish I could hit on an impulse item from TJs I didn't like... so far I overeat all of the ones I get.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Darn! I forgot last night was my bf's end of the year department party - instead of running I had wine and cheese

Marie, yeeouch on the tendonitis! I've had that in my wrist, but never the bicep... interesting. Hope the pain subsides soon!

Dagmar, good call on removing the "temptation" foods from your sight. I hope it works for you! =)

I better get back to work... happy hump day everyone!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Out of the mouths of babes! One of my students (Kindergartner) was checking out a book today titled "The Armadillo from Amarillo". I told him that Amarillo is a town in Texas and armadillos live in Texas. I then told him that I was from Texas and I've seen armadillos there. He looked at me wide-eyed and exclaimed, "You're from Texas!?". I said yes, and he said "And then you came to Earth?!" OMG! I was rolling!

Students at my school won yogurt parties (3 classes) and I chaperoned on the first of the field trips today. Tomorrow is another one. I love the yogurt place-- it's one of the places where you serve yourself whatever flavor of yogurt and put your own toppings on. I got a small portion and I'm trying to keep my calories down otherwise. I'm trying sooooo hard and I don't want the yogurt parties to derail me, but I also want to participate. I have spin class tonight so I should certainly spin it off!

Add me to the list with aches and pains. I think I slept on my arm funny three nights ago. My arm is numb and tingly especially on the left side of my hand. When I move my shoulder it doesn't feel great so perhaps I pinched something sleeping? So tired too because I'm trying not to sleep on it (I tend to put my arm stretched out under my pillow when I sleep on my side)......

Definitely Happy Hump Day!
Tomorrow will be an exhausting day for me..... We just had an auction at my school and one of the hottest bidding war items was for Librarian for the Day. It went for $190! The girl that won (5th grader) will be Librarian tomorrow. I've done it for the past few years and it is pretty exhausting for me as I have to make sure she is having fun while still getting all of my work done, seeing my classes, etc. We also have the yogurt party that I'll be driving and chaperoning and I will also be getting the winner and her friend lunch (probably In-n-Out though I will have to abstain!). The students that participated in the Read-a-thon get prizes and I have three GIANT boxes filled with prizes. I'm hoping my Librarian tomorrow can help me sort and deliver the prizes to the classrooms (hopefully she'll consider that fun!).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #42  
Meg

Michele, that is just hysterical! Bet you didn't feel like an alien!

everyone! Happy Wednesday! I just baked up some spaghetti squash to have with marinara sauce and a little real parmesan. I'll use the rest to make Spaghetti Squash Alfredo. I love a big plate piled high with lots of veggies! It almost feels guilty.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #43  
No description available.

Michele!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

OMG Michele, that is hilarious! Have fun tomorrow!

I did it. I made an appointment to see the doctor about my knee. Friday morning. I'll keep you posted.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #45  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Man, so sorry to hear about all the aches and pains people are having on here. Those stink! I had one of those weeks last week after I played softball. It had been quite awhile since I played (13-14 years) and apparently my general fitness didn't transfer to that particular sport! Our game was cancelled this week due to rain, but I'm going to try to get some practice in before our next game so I don't embarass myself.
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote