Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default How much did your body change during those last 40, 30, 20, 10 lbs

So I'm heading into the home stretch (or at least I'm considering it that) and I'm just so anxious to be out of "dieting" mode. I really don't know what the difference is, I'm going to continue the same lifestyle when I reach my goal...in fact, my maitenance calories aren't much higher than where I am now...I'm probably living maitenance now. But my body just keeps changing every 10 lbs or so. Getting leaner then flabbier, then both...just constantly changing.

I think my main problem is that I REALLY need new clothes, but I just keep putting it off because I don't want to spend any money and then in another 10lbs have to get new clothes again. But I don't know how much longer I can take it...summer is around the corner and I have NO summer clothes that fit me and all my other clothes are just getting frumpy and I'm starting to look fat in them because they are so big! So getting dressed is not motivating at all because I can't see my progress in these baggy clothes. I'm just wondering how much longer I should hold out...I'm at that weird point where I'm just far enough away from my goal that buying anything would probably be a waste, but close enough that what I buy now, may fit my at my goal. I'm not sure I'll go down much more up top...but it just so hard to say. I think the bulk of the rest of the weight should (or at least I hope) will come from my lower tummy, rear, and upper thighs.

I'm going to need bras and underwear soon too...same issues...ugh...will this ever end!

Last edited by ncuneo; 02-24-2010 at 04:52 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I didn't do it but in hind sight I wish I had used thrift stores, goodwill, garage sales, etc. I bought new clothes and then they became too big. But I did buy things on sale and not a ton of clothes while I was still losing. You definitely should buy yourself some new clothes to keep yourself motivated about how wonderful you are doing!!

As to my body changing-- it kept changing even after I finished losing as I increased exercise which, in turn caused more changes. I kept losing "on top" to where I have almost nothing left unfortunately! So, I suspect you will continue to see changes for awhile.

Good luck!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #3  
Lo-Carbin'

S/C/G: 197/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'7

I think everyone's body will change differently during the last pounds. That being said, although I know one day (hopefully soon!) I will need smaller clothes, I can't even begin to tell how motivating it is for me to shop for new clothes. Now is the perfect time to pick up some winter clothes, they are all on major clearance and that way you won't feel to badly when they are too big! As far as summer clothes, I don't know where you live but here in NY we've got nicer weather months away and I just keep reminding myself (and saving!) for that awesome summer wardrobe.

As far a bra, please go buy a new one in your size! You will feel so much better in a bra that properly fits!
sawa1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Can I recommend consignment shops to you? That saved me big time!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #5  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I just bought some essential pieces because I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money if I was just going to shrink out of the clothes. Those pieces were a pair of jeans, pair of dress pants, bras when appropriate (I went from a 42DDD to a 36D!), maybe a nice top or two. I actually would buy things that were slightly small because I knew they would last for at least 10-15 lbs or so before getting too big to wear.

I never spent a lot of money on the jeans or the dress pants. Maybe $20 at the most. Now that I am pretty much at goal, I spend a little more because I know I'll be using them for years to come.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I second the idea of thrift shops. And also, don't be afraid to buy inexpensive new clothing, especially underwear and bras, for the meantime. I decided that I didn't want to shell out $30 on a bra that would become too small, so I did bra shopping at WalMart instead.

But whatever you decide to do, get some new clothes that fit better. It will really change how you feel and how others see you.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-25-2010 at 07:02 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #7  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the previous posters, especially on the suggestion of new bras. No clothes will fit properly without a properly fitting bra. I'm a huge fan of thrift/consignment stores and garage sales. I also regularly donated too big clothes throughout my journey. I'm still working on completing my wardrobe and love the hunt for new, or new to me, clothes.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Ditto to what has been said. I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on clothes you won't be wearing for too long, but if you're starting to feel worse about yourself b/c your clothes fit so badly now, what's the point? (I actually had someone tell me I needed new pants in college when I'd lost some weight, and felt sooo much better once I had pants that fit properly. They got their money's worth too.) I agree with everyone's suggestions. Invest in a few undergarments that fit you well now (not a thrift store for those, lol, but maybe a store like Ross or Marshall's, or even WalMart, KMart), then try thrift stores or consignment shops. You say summer is coming but I'd wait until summer weather actually hits to get some summer clothes from those stores. Find some spring basics that can serve you well right now - a pair of jeans, basics for work. I find I get more leeway in my tops than bottoms, but it depends on your body shape.

Congratulations on how far you've come!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #9  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

I've been wondering about this too. I'm still over 30lbs away from my goal but I'd like to know how the final 10-15lbs affects the body.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Heaven, you may find that when you get down to the final 10 lbs, each pound affects your body more. At high weights, you could lose 20lbs before you go down a clothing size, but at low weights 3-5lbs can be enough to change sizes. The reason is that 1lb is a much higher percentage of your total weight than it was when you were heavier. If you think of your body like a roll of paper towels, when you are heavy (full roll), you could peel of several sheets (pounds) and not see a noticable difference. However, down at the end, that last paper towel wraps around the tube many times so it makes a bigger difference.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #11  
Workin' It

I bought a whole mess of new pants when I reached goal, lost a few more pounds and went down another size. Now after some strength training I'm flirting with going down one more size. Jessica's paper towel roll example makes a lot of sense.

I wish I had thought about the fact that it might change more before I bought ten pairs of pants.

Definitely get some clothes that fit, though. Does wonders for the ego, as people have already said. Inexpensive is fine - clearance racks, thrift shops, Wal Mart or Target, great ideas.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote