Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #1  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Choosing to maintain. 40 lb gone forever!

Edit: Finally got over my shyness and put up some photos in the Goal album!!

Hi, Everyone!

My original goal when I joined this site was 150, but I lowered it by 5 lb to give myself a bit of a buffer. I’ve been so close to 145 in the past couple of months... I was losing quite steadily until my health conditions started to give me grief in early September, and I've been flickering between 146.5-149 lb ever since. This past week I've had some new health issues, and I’ve come to the conclusion that body isn't healing itself the way it needs to. I have to wonder if the weight loss is getting to be too taxing for it with both the emotional stress of aching to see that scale go down and the physical stress of cutting calories.

So, I've decided to maintain at around 148 lb and give my body a bit of a break from the stress of pushing for those last 3 lb. This leaves me at a nice round 40 lb lost.

So!

My story
Pretty straight-forward: the freshman 15 account for me getting from an athletic 135 lb to a soft 150 lb (too many grilled cheese sandwiches and steamed milks). Then, I got very ill in 2000 and wasn't diagnosed until 2002 with Interstitial Cystitis. In that time, I had a bunch of medications thrown at me because doctors couldn't figure out what was going on (the antibiotics alone, I had 13 different courses in 6 months), some of which made me gain weight...add that to being pretty much bedridden, and it's no surprise that I gained. When I was finally diagnosed, I was put on more meds that helped me gain. I ended up gaining ~40 lb from the illness. I always told myself that I would focus on getting well and worry about the weight later. Well, that finally happened in February 2006, but it took me a little while to remember that I was supposed to be losing, until I had a scare with irregular heartbeats, which I think was the world's way of telling me to get off my butt! So, in January 2007, with my illness finally under control, I started working to lose my weight.

Plan: started out at 1500-1700 calories per day, then 1400-1600. Get to the gym 4-5 times per week during lunch hour; lots of walking and such. Weight training & cardio.

So, here are some stats...

Stats:
Start weight (January 22nd, 2007): 188 lb
Current weight: 148 lb

Start BMI: 31.3
Current BMI: 24.5

Start body fat %: 39.6
Current body fat %: 24.0

Starting waist measurement: 34”
Current waist measurement: 25.5”

Starting pants size: 15
Current pants size: 5 or 7

I don’t have full measurements from when I started this, but here is a comparison of my first and most recent set of full measurements.

Measurements: March 1st, 2007 (178 lb)
waist = 32", hips = 42", thigh = 26", arm = 14"

Measurements: October 1st, 2007 (147 lb)
waist = 25.5", hips = 35", thigh = 20", arm = 10"
(The widest part of my hips has actually changed, but I measured at the same place for consistency's sake. Widest part of the hips now = 37".)

Boob size did not change, for some miraculous reason... Perhaps the fates pitied me because I was flat for so much of my life.

So, yes, into maintenance mode I go! I'll be reassessing my weigh goal on April 1st; depending on a variety of factors, I may push for another 10 lb. I need that break to give my eyes time to readjust to my frame before I decide what to do next, because my self image is incredibly messed up in my head right now! (I mentally see myself as larger than when I started...whoops. Better work on that.)

Pics coming as soon as I get home...hehe. This should be interesting...

Thanks to everyone for your help. I originally wanted to be 150 lb by New Year's, and I'm amazed that I came so far in so much less time.

PS: A bonus that I didn't expect to accompany my weight loss: My DBF, who was originally very opposed to my lifestyle changes, has totally changed his eating habits, and is starting to lose weight himself! I finally clued in to how much things had changed on Sunday. A typical Sunday dinner he might have suggested previously would have been homemade nachos with ground beef and a pop. This Sunday, we had a big salad with baked chicken breast, and he even bought sunflower seeds "as a source of healthy fat." I was absolutely floored to think about how much times have changed. To be honest, seeing that healthy habits have rubbed off on him is almost as good a feeling as reaching my goal!

Last edited by maalisse; 11-06-2007 at 05:12 AM.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

YAY

Isn't it amazing to know you are making healthy choices not only for yourself, but for those you love as well?

Congratulations from one newbie to maintaining to another!

Can't wait to see updated pictures.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 AM   #3  
Meg

What a great story! Congratulations! You're very wise to choose to maintain where you are right now, rather than getting hung up on the numbers on the scales. Join us in the Maintainers forum, OK? We'd love to get to know you and hear more from you.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

CONGRATULATIONS! Yeah you, you did it. Welcome to maintenance...
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Congrats! I enjoyed reading your story,thanks for sharing it!
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #6  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Way to go!!! Can'y wait til we get to see the pics
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations! This is great ^^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

AWESOME! Congratulations!! You are obviously a VERY FIT 147 and probably look like you weigh much less, too - I think your decision to maintain was a good one and I'm sure you look amazing. (And your icon is so pretty, btw! Beautiful eyes!)

Also, good job on getting your b/f to be supportive of your lifestyle change. It's amazing how significant others can end up being so supportive even when they didn't like it at first (mine was the same way).
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations, Maalisse! Great job. Enjoy maintaining.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #10  

mandalinn82>> It's weird to be maintaining, isn't it? I'm having a hard time finding the balance point for my calories...it's a little intimidating! And yes, it's fantastic to see my loved one being similarly inspired. (His family is very happy about it, too.)

Meg>> Thank you, it's good to hear that my plan isn't completely crazy. I felt a little like I was cheating by changing my goal! I'll see you in the Maintainers forum!

evilwomaniamshe>> Thank you! I'm a little nervous...part of me thinks that eating a couple hundred calories extra will skyrocket my weight, haha. Silly!

LeedaRenee>> Thank you so much.

GONNABE165>> Yay, thanks! I'm waiting for vanity reasons until my stomach puffiness goes down (happens sometimes because of my health condition, so it's going like mad this week)...then I'll take "after" pics.

Faerie>> Thank you!

NightengaleShane>> Aw, thank you! I think I do look my weight, but my measurements just seem small because of the way I carry my weight. (Lots of cylindars on my body instead of tapering, haha.) My body image is so screwed up right now that I can't say for sure, though. Hehe... Glad your gal became more supportive of you, too. That's the joy of being with people who loves us for who we are and want us to be truly happy!

gailr42>> Thank you! I'm sure I will enjoy maintaining once I get over being nervous about it, hehehe!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 AM   #11  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Maalisse,
Yeah I too felt the same way once I reached maintenance. I was an expert at losing, how in praytel will I learn to maintain I thought! I will say it hasn't been easy I was scared bigtime I'd screw it up. Low and behold I have been at maintenance for almost 8 months now! We are at about the same weight I started to maintain at 145 too. Keeping it at 145 now thats a whole nother story, somedays its 144, 142, 146, 147, then when I have too many cheat wknds it bounces near 149 150 which sends me into complete sheer panic, so I just scale back and boom maintaining again at 143 today. Mine is yoyo maintenance I think, but this is my maintenance, I am doing it and thrilled being here. No worries I am certain we all felt the same when we got this far, worried we will screw up, but you'll be fine, it is just the unknown at this level, because while losing we knew how much to eat, now its a bit more trial and err the calorie consumption, but you'll figure it out. Welcome aboard again....
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #12  

Congratulation ,you achieved your desired weight 147lbs and you are still maintaining the figure.It is not a child's you must have done a lot of hard work.Great job. enjoy your life.
qaswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 AM   #13  

Well, I put up some photos in the Goal album...was a bit shy, but NightengaleShane's photo thread inspired me!!

evilwomaniamshe>> Glad to hear it isn't an exact science, because I'm certainly not managing to make it one, thus far. I suppose it's all about keeping things approximately in balance, right? Thank you for your encouragement!

qaswer>> Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #14  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

maalisse, I'm so happy for you! You look utterly fantastic and your accomplishment is outstanding. At the beginning we were roughly the same stats -- my own journey's been complicated with health stuff too and hasn't gone so smoothly either -- but your success is inspiring and a real motivation to re-focus my efforts.

Congrats!
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #15  

Congrats! You did a wonderful job and your pics are fantastic. Good luck with your maintenance.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote