Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #16  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

WardHog, when the funky showed, did they do an ultrasound then? Every mammogram, they do the squish, then say they need to do an ultrasound. Then it is nothing.

Shannon, have your tech department pull the internet logs. Networks track internet sites and usage. (Don't tell as I'm at work doing this).

Megan, LOL at the dumbbell training. BTW, I had no idea either. I guess you're stronger than you realized.

Sheila, have fun at your lunch. A co-worker has the problems you describe (truly exactly) and his surgeon wanted to correct some problem. He went to his chiropractor and they did some scan and the chiro worked with some area and it went away (at least manageable with the acid reducer stuff). Then he stopped going to chiro, went back because of a back problem (and the chest pain had returned), and now 2 months later, the chest pain is better. Now, I have no idea whether a chiro is good or not, but I thought I'd share.

Meg and Shannon, I printed that HG corn muffin recipe and was going to make it for Thanksgiving. It does look excellent but there was enough cooking on turkey day. I look forward to what Meg thinks. I bought the ingredients so I'd be ready.

WPF, I hear you on the vigilance and the fear when finally taking the plunge into a day of increased cals. I was terrified of my all or nothing brain set. But when I climbed back on the wagon the next day, it was liberating because I figured out that I could have a liberating day occasionally and I won't be obese because of it. That my desire to be slender never deviated. Since you're on track, you are doing great. The one spurge showed you that you are strong.

Meg, I hope the throat feels better and congrats at wow-wing your doctor!

Mudpie, a coach... I hope you do better than me with your husband. I totally was horrendous at lunch today. My co-worker is trying to lose the 20 pounds he loses and regains regularly. About 6 weeks ago he started exercising and "eating healthy". Now we eat lunch together every day. He's been complaining that he's been exercising but hasn't lost any weight. Today, he'd gotten a 12" Subway ham sandwich. Mayo and cheese was dripping out of it. When he finished it off, my other co-worker said, "I can't believe you could eat the whole thing". Then I STUPIDLY said, "And he wonders why he's not losing weight." He then points out Jerod and subway, and that ham isn't fattening. I pointed to the mayo dripping off it. Oh, I was bad. I KNOW way better than that. I just made him feel bad and probably sent him to his chocolate stash. So Mudpie, please do way better than me for your husband. And I promise to keep my mouth shut...

Marie

After writing this, I apologized to my co-worker. He's ok, I'm better and truly saying you're sorry is one of the most liberating things in the world.

Last edited by Marie; 01-25-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: To apologize to co-worker
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
truly saying you're sorry is one of the most liberating things in the world.
Amen to that!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation squishograms

I wonder who designed the mammogram machines? Probably one of the less fair gender. If they had to insert their naughty bits in between two plates and have them squished I bet the machines would be reworked immediately!

But they have their hideous exams (rubber gloves, fingers, etc) that we don't so it all evens out in the end, right?

Ward The waiting is really hard . I think just about everyone has been through this and, despite us all knowing that most of the time it winds up ok, it's still totally nerve-wracking .

Have a great evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #19  
Workin' It

Ward - I had something weird come up on my last one and had to go back, too.

Marie - I've said things like that without thinking before. I'm glad you guys worked things out.

Sheila - on the crossword!

Megan - funny DB discussion. They should mark those things correctly!

Good day food wise for me, probably because I spent most of the evening at the funeral home for the visitation for DH's great aunt. Hard to snack there... No exercise again yesterday, going to the park today and planning a CF workout in the morning.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #20  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Mudpie, I don’t know about it all evening out… I’m quite sure I remember recently having a rubber glove, fingers, etc exam that was not delightful. I think the intentor men should have to try out a mammo machine with their parts.

LOL Shannon on the probable cause for the good eating day. Not because of where you were but how you put it.

So my surgery is scheduled 2 weeks from tomorrow and I threw a wrench into the loop. The last few pounds have made my thighs have crepe skin as well. So now I’m looking at adding a thigh lift as well. I’m figuring one recovery is preferable to two because I’m so worried about being away from exercising. I spoke with DH about the fears and gave him orders to whip me back onto the exercise machine if I resist after the hiatus. He laughed and said I would never fall off that wagon but he will make sure I don’t. That’s a relief. He has been a great reason why I’m successful. He let’s me blab on and on about my choices and thoughts. I really do love him.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #21  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

It's a quiet Tuesday around here! I went to the gym early to benchpress train with Tim & Cathy again. I was tired this morning but it was nice to get it out of the way. No more early workouts this week.

Yes, I haven't even gotten to mammogram age yet and I've already been subjected to much poking and prodding on the other end (other front?) of things... my results are always off on my annual so I have to go back for more, almost every single year since I turned 18. I don't think it evens out w/ what men have to go through, I find it very traumatizing. I'm glad I have such a nice doctor.

Ward, hopefully this is nothing but an uncomfortable one-time experience. Keep us posted. I'll be sending good thoughts your way tomorrow.

Marie, it's so nice to have a supportive partner. I couldn't imagine what it's like not to have one. My BF doesn't exercise and doesn't always eat as healthily as I do, but he's extremely supportive of me whatever I do. I feel so terrible for the people who post things like "my husband doesn't want me to lose weight and keeps bringing home a dozen donuts and leaving them for me on the counter".

Sorry Shannon, I know nothing about Mafia wars. I'm on facebook but not very often.

Sheila, I hope the doctor can help.

What's everyone else up to?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #22  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan, I only had one abnormal pap, but it was not fun! They did a colposcopy and I ended up having to have 3 paps in one year. Ugh. Luckily they didn't find anything and my tests have been normal since then.

Marie, I don't have any advice about the thighs, but good luck with the surgery in general!

Shannon, uh oh, mafia wars at work! Sounds like somebody is in trouble! I do look at facebook at work, and other websites (*cough* 3FC *cough*) but I *never* play games at work.

Hi to everyone I missed!

I had a stressful evening last night because our DSL was out. I got home from work and there was no internet, so I just went to swim class assuming it would be back when I got home. No dice. It looks like either the modem went bad or the connection was out. So I called tech support, in case they had an area outage or something. Then I have to spend an hour on the phone with someone in a call center in India making me plug things into different outlets. I'm like, look, I know either the modem is bad or the connection is bad. She's like, well, you have to try all these things before we can send someone out. In any case they were supposed to check our local lines today so hopefully it will be working when we get home.

DH said not having the internet for an evening made him realize how much time he wastes on it! Meanwhile I was just irritated because I couldn't log my dinner!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #23  

ward
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #24  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
DH said not having the internet for an evening made him realize how much time he wastes on it! Meanwhile I was just irritated because I couldn't log my dinner!
Priorities, priorities! Did it get fixed?

Ward, let us know how it goes today.

I just looked at the number of posts I've made (shows up on the left under my name and avatar). Wow, I'm very verbose. I guess I've been here a while.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #25  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan, yes, it did get fixed. Turns out I was right and the DSL modem had just died. We dug through the closet and pulled out a modem we had been using 6 years ago with a different company and it worked fine!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #26  
Workin' It

Marie - it is great that your DH is so supportive. Makes sense adding the thigh lift with the existing procedure - one recovery is definitely preferable to two!

Megan - high five on the morning workout! Exciting that you are doing the lifting contest again this year!

Jessica - I hate the troubleshooting steps the cable & internet companies make you go through. DH works for a satellite provider and I'm pretty familiar with technology myself, so I usually know what is going on when I call. Even with that they still make me go through all the steps. Glad you fixed it with another modem!

Well, the guy I've been researching has been pretty internet active at work. I'm not totally against some internet while working, but only when other tasks are done....

Good food day for me yesterday and 5k on the treadmill. DSS tonight so probably sandwiches for dinner, should make for another good food day for me. Planning a CF or stumptuous DB workout this afternoon before pickup.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I got up this morning and decided to try a different approach on the treadmill. 45 minutes: run 12 minutes, walk 3, run 12, walk 3, run 3, walk the rest of the way. Managed 3.4 miles in all! I wanted the 3rd run to be 6 minutes but my heart rate was way high and I felt a bit queasy so I went back to walking (mind you the walk was 4 mph).

We're heading to LA this weekend. DH's best friend from high school has been invited to show some of his artwork at a gallery there. It's his 2nd show (his first only featured 2 items, this one is 7). So we'll make it a mini vacation and spend the night Saturday. We're leaving DS home alone so he can tend to the dogs! He sounded pretty excited about it.

I totally waste too much time on the internet. But as slow as it is at work, I'd go crazy without it. When I worked at the hospital there was way too much work to do to spend much time on the internet. These days my work comes in spurts and I always do the work before I play, but play is probably 60% of my work day. But I have to be there--I could do my actual work in less than one day a week, but I have to be at the office rather than home because you never know what will pop up.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Just a fly by for me.

Wardhog, I had to have a repeat mammo a couple of months ago. It is frightening, even though the odds are in your favor. What happened with me was that the first mammo people didn't squish me enough so that there was a "fold" that looked suspicious. A few squishings later, and everything was A-ok. I'm betting it will be something like that for you, too.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #29  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the good thoughts. The mammo today was clear. And no binge eating required. Now, do I have time to pound down some lunch and get to the gym before the kids get home from school?
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #30  
Meg

Yay! And yes!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote