Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #16  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

What a beautiful family you have Lily. Thank you for sharing.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #17  
Meg

What great pictures, Lily! I love putting faces to names. Does everyone tell you that Lacy looks just like you?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #18  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Lily - lovely pics, Lacey does look a lot like you - can you steal her prom dress??

and for you Anne.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #19  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks everyone. I get told all the time that Lacy looks just like me. (I appreciate it, but I don't think she appreciates it , LOL). Her hair is a lot darker than mine. I actually look a lot like my son, too. (especially when I was a whole lot younger). He brags all the time cause he put his pic. on Hot or Not.Com and scored a 9.9 out of 10 with about 3,000 viewers, LOL. Nothing wrong with that young man's self-esteem, for sure. LOL.

Lacy said that I'm now ALLOWED to try on her prom dress since prom is over with. LOL.

At prom Lacy's camera messed up and she hit reset and lost every single pic. that she had taken. I don't know why that happened. There were lots of current pic's of me and my grandkids and all the puppies. I hated losing all those pic's.

The pic. of DH isn't very good. He really is very handsome and Darn him he has an awesome body. LOL.

Last night when Lacy loaded the pic's for me she said "mom, it's just common knowledge to know how to put these pic's on here". LOL, it's not common to me and she said "that's cause you and dad are Too old".

Last edited by lilybelle; 05-01-2007 at 07:08 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #20  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Lily - Your family is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #21  
lilybelle

Ladies, my sister is in very big denial about her wt. and her health. She says "I gave my husband the best yrs. of my life when I was young and thin and I'm never going to try to lose this wt." I am worried since she has super-high BP (like I did). She doesn't take her BP med's like they are ordered. She says "I weigh 160 lbs. and wear size 14, and I'm fine with that". I didn't have the heart to tell her that a 14 today is what used to be an 18. I do know that we are of the same heighth and body build and that at 160, I wore a size 7-8. She really looks like she weighs much more than she says. I know that her Dr. keeps telling her to lose weight. I just hope and pray that she finds it important enough to try to better her health before something bad happens. I know that she won't appreciate me saying a word, as she's always thought of herself as tiny compared to me. I guess I now Know what my family must have thought about my wt. and my health issues while I was in such denial.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #22  

Height: 5'7"

Well, Lily, the pair of pants I'm going to wear today are size 14, and I'm fine with that too. At some level we are all adults and have to make decisions for ourselves. I understand that you are worried about your sister, but she obviously knows any health issues from her doctor, and if she's telling you she's fine with her weight, you've obviously discussed it before. As we are all too familiar, talking about someone's weight when they are not in a mental place to do anything about it for whatever reason is just painful. I'm not a big believer that you can push someone into that mental place--we all have to find it for ourselves.

It seems to me that talking about the meds she isn't taking is a better place to spend your time. Losing weight may or may not help the BP situation, but the meds sure will, and that shouldn't be perceived as any kind of judgement on her person.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #23  

Oh, Lily, I can't believe I almost forgot to add this: one of the best things you can be to your sister is a good example of what a person can do when they do decide to put their mind to it. That is so important. And you are a wonderful example.

Anne
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #24  
Meg

Happy first day of May! Does this mean it won’t snow any more? (maybe not for Pat! – when is it done snowing for you?)

I survived my doubleheader at the gynecologist and dentist yesterday and got a little NSV out of it. When the nurse took me back to the exam room, there was a gown and sheet folded on the exam table. She looked at me and said – oh, you’re tiny! You need a small gown! And she got out a different gown, which was still too big. Much better than her saying – oh, you need a big gown!

Of course, she also told me that I’m 5’3” instead of 5’4”. I need that extra inch so I can weigh more!! Really, I think I’m 5’3 ½” so I’ll keep rounding up.

Rabbit, enjoy your pool! That sounds heavenly! I’ve always wanted a pool but it doesn’t make sense where I live now. Maybe when we retire?

Jessica, I’ll bet your scale went up because of the sushi. I always gain 2 – 3 pounds after sushi, even if my calories are OK. It’s just sodium and if you chug water the next day, it will go away. Libby said it happens to her too, right?

Wedding planning is so exciting and you’re really smart to have a wedding planner. My DD just got engaged and I may suggest one to her, especially since she lives 2000 miles away from me now.

Lily, I need to shampoo carpets too! I’m thinking of buying a shampooer, one with brushes. I think it would pay for itself fairly quickly.

Your DD is beautiful in her prom picture! Such special memories.

I’m sure that a sunburn can cause the scale to go up from fluid retention. I always burn, even if I’m careful, and a sunburn will make me sick to my stomach and swell up.

Funny about your no bake cookies not tasting as good as you remember … nothing seems to taste as good as I remember. I’m almost always disappointed if I get something junky that I’ve been craving because it just isn’t the same. Like PB cups – I hadn’t had any for years and then tried one last Halloween. Ewww. Yucky chocolate and too sweet.

Good luck with your knees, Pat! Have you tried the shots of synthetic synovial fluid yet? I think some brands are Synvisc and Supartz. I had a series of three in both knees and unfortunately, they didn’t do anything for me. But a lot of people get relief from them. Don’t let your doctor blow you off with the ‘lose weight’ thing. He/she needs to look beyond your weight to figure out how to help you. I really get annoyed when doctors blame everything on our weight and don’t look further. That’s the easy out.

Anne, I’m betting you’re right. You know your body! What’s with the cheese craving – is this a new one or something you craved when you were preggo before? Be sure to let us know as soon as you find out!!

Carolyn, yay for adding weights to your exercise routine! I think you’re going to love the results.

Megan, your fish recipe sounds awesome! Now I have to try it. I love fish and it’s so low calorie – can’t beat it. Hush puppies! I remember those! I think I’ve only had them once or twice and honestly, their charms escape me. Aren’t they basically fried dough balls? Or is that the point?

Tara, good for you for figuring out cornbread. There are lots of foods that I can’t portion control either so I just avoid them. It sounds like cornbread is one of yours. It’s so much easier for me not to eat tempting foods, regardless of what the experts tell us about ‘everything in moderation’. I just don’t want to deal with the stress of having one cookie and wanting to eat a dozen more. Besides, if the so-called experts know what they’re talking about, then why do we have an obesity epidemic in our country? Maybe the experts really aren’t so … expert?

Your weight might be up due to all the extra carbs. Each gram of carb you eat holds on to 3 – 4 grams of water, so an overindulgence in carbs is going to result in a huge water retention. Don’t worry, you’ll see it go away in a few days.

Libby, seven miles!! And you’re doing so well with maintenance! I think your weight loss will level off for you soon and if not, add an extra 100 or 200 calories.

See how much you can get done with a laptop when you’re getting your oil changed? Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #25  
lilybelle

Anne, I'm sure my post didn't accurately reveal what I'm trying to say. My whole family has had high BP and diabetes. I'm concerned about her health. I worry that she doesn't take her med's like she should. She brought the subject up herself when a friend of mine at camp (the other day) mentioned my wt. loss. I never discuss my wt. with her. Except when she asks about it. I absolutely KNOW there is nothing that I can do to change her. God knows, it took me being knocked over the head, to get me to try to improve my health. I just love her and worry about her. I worry that she fries all her food and that she says "I don't eat anything that's green" and that she drinks a 6 pack of Mt. Dew a day (like I used to do). I guess what i'm getting at is I see me in her, if that makes any sense. Also, I worry that she smokes 2 packs a day. The smoking, high fat diet and high blood pressue all combined with the beginning of a wt. issue scares me terribly for her. I'm not at all trying to be mean about her wt. of 160 or her size 14. Heck, I was totally thrilled when I got down to 160. Plus, I was totally thrilled when I got into a size 14.

Meg, I did buy a carpet shampooer. It's a lot of work and I use it if I only have one room to clean. But,, right now, I need to do the whole house. So, I need to rent a big Rug Doctor. Unfortunately in this little podunk town, there isn't any carpet cleaning services or I'd hire someone else to do it. LOL.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments about my pic's. I think I have a "beautiful" family too. I love em all and proud of em all.

Meg, WTG on the gown. I used to hate it when the nurse would leave the room to go find an EX. Large gown for me.

Last edited by lilybelle; 05-01-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #26  

Lily, that is sure a tough one. I hope your sister's health improves. It is such a hard thing to watch, and clearly you love her dearly. I know it always feels so terrible not to be able to do anything.

Meg, the cheese thing is completely new. Fortunately I'm craving really flavorful cheeses like extra sharp cheddar and parmesano, so I only need a little bit. But I'm also HUNGRY, like crazy, and have been trying to eat a lot of protein and fiber to fill up, but so far no luck. Thanks Frus & SusanB for your thoughts. I'm hopeful this time.

Well, I'm off to the dentist for the post-root-canal visit. Yee-haw!

Anne
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #27  
lilybelle

Thanks Anne.

Dang it, I tried on Lacy's prom dress and my boobs are too big for it. LOL.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #28  

Wow, take off a couple days to get caught up and so much happens around here. I've now successfully gone through the winter to summer switch for five kids (oldest dd is on her own). I can't believe how much my 13yo ds has grown. I spent 2 1/2 hours this morning cleaning the garage, lugging stuff up and down from the attic and getting bikes down from their ceiling hooks. That is harder than weights!
Anne-CONGRATS!! Awesome!
Lily-Your whole family looks great. Your dh looks too young to have grands.
Pat-Hope all goes well with the knees.
Meg-I'm glad you survived the double whammy.
Jessica-Exciting making wedding plans. I haven't been to the Indy zoo for about 3 years. Maybe it's time to go back.
Everyone else-Have a great day. Everyone sounds very busy!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Wow. I guess I have failed to check in so far this week! My Bad!

Lily~your family is gorgeous! Have fun with the rest of your weeds and take care of that burn.

Libby~congrats on losing another pound--it makes maintaining all that much easier (IMO).

Tara~step away from the corn bread. Now if I could just say the same thing to myself about the sourdough in my breadbox! Bad, bad bread! I knew I should have bought whole wheat!

Megan~sounds like a delicious recipe! I just love fish, but my kids don't so we don't eat it often.

Anne~cravings sound like you are....but only you know for sure. I certainly hope this time is the charm! Best of luck to you.

Pat~wow! 84! I think that was the temperature at my folks house in Utah this weekend. We were 100+. Too hot for this time of year.

Jessica~I hope you stayed away from the sundaes. I think it is fun shopping for house stuff. I guess that's why it's dangerous for me to shop at Bed, Bath and Beyond!! But of course, I don't have DH with me....comparing things....overriding my desires!

rabbit~glad to hear your pool is working. I'd be in mine more often if our darn pool boy would clean it more often. I'm almost thinking of turning the chore over to my DS--he could use the money!

Meg~the empty storage containers had me laughing! My pantry is a lot like that! And--you have every right to round your numbers up!!! My SIL is 5'1/4" so she rounds up to 5'1"!

Lily~back to you and your family. My MIL has a sister and a SIL who are both obese. Both have medical problems from their obesity. The sister is going to have both of her knees replaced in the next few weeks because her obesity has ruined them. My MIL is afraid that she'll never get out of the post-op wheel chair. Her doctor has been telling her to lose over 100 pounds for the past few years and has said that if she had, her knees would be in better shape. She didn't listen. The SIL and her husband are both fat and each blames the other. She can't diet because he won't let her NOT buy fatty, processed foods. He eats the fatty, processed foods "because she buys them." They really have no one to blame but themselves, but it is very hard to see what it is doing to them. SIL is easily over 400 pounds and her husband who is diabetic is over 350. I've decided that it is next to impossible to make anyone do anything unless they are willing to do it themselves.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #30  
lilybelle

Lisa, my DH was only 17 when he married and had his first child. He is 4 yrs. younger than me, but his oldest DD is 4 yrs. older than my oldest child. When we met he looked WAY too young for me, but after figuring out that his kids were older than mine, I thought "hey, Why not". LOL. Bad thing was that when I was obese, I was mistaken by store clerks to be his Mom. Luckily, I look younger now than then, so now we make a "hot looking couple". LOL, or that's what he says anyway.

Allison, my SIL weighs about 300 lbs. and she is planning to have gastric bypass now that her insurance will cover it. Her knees are totally blown and the Dr. keeps telling her to lose wt. too.

As for my sister, I also worry about how stressful her work environment is at the Prison. Our father died of a heart attack at age 41, so heart disease is definitely in the family. I think one of the things that really spurred me to lose the wt. was the knowledge that I was quickly becoming dependent on my DH and kids for even the most basic of care. I didn't want to be a physical burden on others. Weird thing is, my sister's DH has greatly improved how he eats after his own father had a quadruple bypass last yr. So, sis can't blame the bad eating on him. He eats WAY better than she does.

It has rained all day so I didn't get to finish weeding my garden. I was kinda glad for the respite. LOL.

DH and DS finally got my son's jeep transmission replaced yesterday. Yipppeee, I now have my vehicle back full-time.

Last edited by lilybelle; 05-01-2007 at 04:16 PM.