Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #61  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all.

Anne, so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Karynlee - I'm impressed that you're going to do a 3 day walk. I'm signed up for a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training half marathon in June, and that 13 miles looks daunting to me! Can't imagine 60 miles. Like Meg, I have bad knees but so far they're holding up. We'll see after I walk 3 hours next week!

Lily - sounds like we were the same temperature yesterday - in the 40's! In our case it was warm. I even did my walk/run outdoors. It was ever so nice.

Jessica - Yay on the house, boo on the wrists!

I spent 2 hours on a truly brain-numbing conference call yesterday afternoon. It's so hard to interact/brainstorm with folks when you have no visual feedback. Today should be better, and hopefully I can move around more at work. Sitting for so long really makes me antsy.

Have a great day!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #62  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
... but I'll need to take one of them off to eat since I can't reach my mouth with them on.
I think I need wrist splints.

Jessica, I'm sorry your wrists are still giving you so much trouble! It's just so frustrating when we're raring to go and our bodies say NO.

Lily, you really touched my heart when you said you'd lose the weight for your daughter if you could. I guess all us moms feel that way. My DD (who's now 24) struggled with her weight all during her teenage years and I felt so helpless because she didn't want my assistance. Of course, I was a terrible role model since I was still heavy then.

I lost the weight during her sophomore year of college. She knew what I was doing, saw what I was eating, and saw me going to the gym every day. But she still wasn't ready to make any changes. I didn't say a word to her.

When she graduated, she came home, stepped on the scales, and just about died when it said 200 pounds. Ouch! That's when she was ready for my help. She was off to paramedic school and we set up a diet and exercise plan for her. We talked on the phone and emailed every day and she was so excited at sharing her progress with me long-distance.

In 7 1/2 months, she lost 55 pounds and went from a size 18 to 6. And she's stayed there for two and half years now.

It was heartbreaking for me to watch DD struggling for all those years and not wanting my help. But I'm sharing her story with you to let you know that the day WILL come when your daughter will want your help and come to you. Until then, the best thing you can do is continue to be the wonderful example and support that you already are.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #63  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

DH is now actively trying to lose weight. He's exercising more often and becoming aware of what he is eating. Today, when we were food shopping, he asked for low calorie cookies. We found the box of SnackWells and looked at the amound of calories for a 2 cookie serving verse Oreo's new organic version which was less. Of course DH usually eats 5-10 servings at a time, but at least he's focusing on the numbers.

We're launching the sailboat tomorrow instead of Saturday when it's supposed to snow. Still, the weather will be 47 degrees which feels even colder on the water. It's a four hour motor from the marina to our club. Brrrrr.

Dancing was so much fun last night. There were a few more guys than gals so I could have danced every dance if I wanted to. I sat out about 3 songs in three hours, so I got a good workout. By the time we left at 11:30, my lower back was sore from doing so many twizzle turns. It was a good feeling.

Since the sun's out, today's activity will be either walking or if I can get really motivated, biking. Tonight, DH wants tacos, so I need to pre-burn some calories in anticipation.

Thanks Allison, Lily, and Susan for telling me about FitDay's foables. I've reset my lifestyle level to bed-riden and the numbers look better.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #64  

Hi maintainers,

Anne - so sorry to hear about your grandmother! take good care of yourself.

My easter weekend has tarted! And, although the scales have not budged, i noticed that in the past months I am down from 29-ish% BF to 23-ish !!!I hope it's not a measurement fluke.

have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #65  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Meg, thanks for sharing the story of your DD. It is so hard as a mother to watch my DD having problems with her weight and in effect her self-esteem. I know it has to be horribly painful/stressful for a teenager. I've had weight problems myself but only as an adult. When I was young there were very few over-weight kids and now they are everywhere. I'm very glad that your DD got to a healthy size and has been able to keep the wt. off. I'm sure it makes her feel much better about herself.

I try to set a good example for her on healthy eating and an exercise routine. Any time she comes to me for help with her weight, I try my very best to be supportive. She just seems to go through cycles of caring and not caring. I know that when she is truly Ready, she'll lose the weight and there isn't much I can do before she is ready except to keep my mouth shut and provide a good example.

I do love Jessica's idea of me and my DD doing a charity walk together. I think she'd enjoy that too. I'm going to talk to her and see if she'd like to start walking with me so WE can both build up our endurance for a charity walk. Put that way, she might go for it. I won't mention a thing about weight.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #66  
lilybelle

I did find the low-calorie breakfast bars in Fitday listed under Candy. I adjusted my calories for yesterday to show what the package said and it made my calorie count come out more accurate.

Carolyn, all that dancing sounds like a lot of fun. When DH and I dance, I love it. It gives me a good workout from the constant movement and doesn't seem like exercise, just fun.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #67  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Lily...Re: fitday, I always go by the food's own package info over what fitday says. I think it's more accurate because it's the up to date most specific info for that product.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #68  

Paperclippy-Glad to hear the house is moving along so quickly. It is very exciting and very scary at the same time.

Lily-Teen girls are so hard. My own dd is willing to exercise but her eating habit, yee gads. Will your dd walk on your treadmill? My dd likes to put on her ipod or a movie and walk 'zoned out'. She likes she doesn't have to get dressed in anything special and can do it anytime. Just a thought. I remember being that age, and just nothing about me suited myself, my hair, my weight, my skin, etc. I wouldn't be a teen again for all the tea in China.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #69  

Anne - sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Lily - I'm sure it must be difficult to know your dd is not living the healthy lifestyle she deserves. The teen years are the worst, I agree with Lisa. Teenagers are even more likely to go for the instant gratification of a crash diet. Just keep leading by example like Meg said and eventually she will come around.

Jessica - congratulations and good luck with the house. Yah!

I struggled yesterday, I thought I was doing so well then our power went out for a day, school was cancelled & my eight year old was home climbing the walls. Baby was cranky, hubby was straight out at work and didn't get home til 9 last night...so I decided I deserved a treat and went to Friendly's for lunch - yuck! I don't even like the darn place. Then my sister came over w/her 3 kids for the night because she lost power and we eventually got ours back, and we ordered a pizza!! So...it's a new day today.

I'll be cleaning all the food out of my fridge that spoiled. I hope this is the end of the snow.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #70  
lilybelle

Lisa, my DD will use the treadmill occasionally but not often. She says it's too "boring". I'm like your DD, I turn up my music loudly and just zone out while I'm on it.

Anne, sorry to hear your power was out. I didn't do well yesterday with food. We have a small fish restaurant about 6 miles from here, that DH loves to go to. There really isn't much on the buffet that fits with my lifestyle change. So, I did have some fried fish, salad, peaches and green beans. I could have done WAY worse if I'd went for the fried shrimp,fried chicken, fried potatoes, banana pudding and all the other junk they have. Since we only go there about once every couple of months , I try to make the most reasonable choice and just count it as a treat meal. DH loads his plate with fried potatoes because he hasn't had those at home in 2 yrs. LOL.

Temp. is down in the 30's again this morning. I did get all my pepper and tomato plants covered last night in hopes of trying to save them.

Ladies, I'm having a horrible problem with "night sweats" so much that it's keeping me awake most of the night. It's been happening for about 2 weeks this time and has happened other times too. I'm not on any type of hormones. Is there anything I can do? I'm starting to feel pretty dang miserable.

Last edited by lilybelle; 04-06-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #71  
Working My Way Back Down

Lily - I feel your pain! I suffered with these for several years (even while on hormones, though it did help). I know that there are a number of natural remedies. How effective or how safe they are I don't know. Since you have liver problems, I'd consult either your gyn or liver doc - or both. Night sweats/hot flashes are the pits! I'll give you the light at the end of the tunnel - they do end eventually!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #72  
lilybelle

Pat, thanks. I'm gonna ask my liver doctor about it when I see him at the end of this month. I'm pretty miserable. It's weird because I'll have them really bad for a few weeks then it might be a few months before it happens again. I assume this is pretty normal? I am throwing the covers off and on all night and can't stay at a comfortable body temp. DH says I feel like I'm "roasting".
Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #73  

I posted this yesterday, but accidentally in an old maintainer weekly chat, so I copied it to here:

Well, I made it through the rest of the week without going back to stuffing down the peanut butter on whole wheat bread after dinner. After Sunday and Monday's incident with that particular substance, I was afraid the habit would be hard to break, and that I might have been on a path to destruction!

The first day was the hardest because I still had the craving, but since then it's been ok. It's like my body has forgotten how I enjoyed eating all that bread and peanut butter. I eat 4 slices of bread and 2 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter ordinarily every day, so I really didn't need 4 or 5 extra slices after eating a full dinner.

I'm down a pound from where I was on Tuesday morning, but I'm still about 2 pounds above where I was before those two days of overindulgence. The weekend may be another challenge...I have this subconscious mindset that tells me I'm willing to put on a couple pounds for the privilege of overstuffing myself a couple days per week. Don't know if this is a good thing or not. Hmmm...

As for now, I'm going to refrain for tonight, and I think tomorrow. I'm going to be home most of the weekend, so it might make things even a little tougher!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #74  

Update for this morning: I am now only 1 pound above where I was prior to "the episode". Staying on track really works! Hope I can do it this weekend.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #75  
Meg

You can do it, Tara! Picture yourself coming here on Monday morning and posting about your awesome weekend and how good you feel about yourself. And keep that picture in mind whenever you're tempted to stray.

I was up at 4 am with DS who wasn't feeling well, so I'm nodding off already. Today DH and I are off to visit his mom (an all day trip) so maybe I can snooze in the car? We're planning on sushi for dinner when we get home -- a huge treat!

I don't know why, but Easter candy hasn't been bothering me this year. It may be tempting fate to say this, but I think it's been so long since I've had chocolate that I've forgotten what it tastes like!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate and a wonderful weekend to all.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote