Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #226  

Carol, I just started reading The Overfed Head. It's very interesting to me so far! Thanks!

I just woke up and what I want for breakfast is a chocolate chip cookie. My mind tells me, "you cannot have that cookie! It is not healthy!" But I WANT that cookie! I will probably eat that cookie, in fact, I may even eat 2 cookies! I want to banish those diet thoughts forever!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #227  

Sabrina, Christy, and Fiddler, I enjoyed reading your posts. I think The Overfed Head is the most concise book I have read on IE and I read a lot. Fiddler, Can you give us a typical day of how your eating goes? I know we are all idividual but it just kinda helps see how others are working this out. Thanks. I've been sicking with IE pretty good. I have no desire to get caught up in diets or even exercise for weight loss. I exercise nearly ever day to feel better but I know for weight loss it doesn't always work. I used to walk 6mi a day and not lose weight.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #228  

Hi all!
I got up and ran 5 miles in the rain this morning. It finally rained in Texas! The heat has been killing us for what seems like forever! I finally told my husband how I was feeling about exercising and somehow just venting to him helped me get over my hang ups. I wrote out my workout schedule for the next eleven weeks to get ready for the San Antonio marathon. (Yep, that's 26.2 miles)
Carol, I think it might be interesting to see how everyone is eating. Does everyone think that might be ok? I don't know if that will get us into diet thinking, but with IE, while nothing is restricted, the longer I go the better food choices I am making.
This was my day
Breakfast- shredded wheat cereal
Snack- grapes
Lunch- turkey breast and swiss cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, baked lays, carrots, little cup of pears
Dinner- 2 tacos (made at home on flour tortillas with chedder cheese and lettuce)
dessert- 1 ice cream bar
We made this video at school to show new teachers how to conduct special ed. meetings. We watched it at our faculty meeting today and it really upset me because I look so heavy. When I look in the mirror I don't think I look that bad. I feel sort of down now, and when I got home I started diet thinking. I am going to brush it off, but I was just so embarrassed looking at myself!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #229  

Oh, Kay, I feel for you. I get that way sometimes, too, especially when I see pictures. Last summer, when I was sick, I was 30lb thinner and looked good for the first time in 20yr. Then I took prednisone and gained it all back. But I have been really positive lately because I have been feeling much better and losing a little. Keep up the good work. I don't know how you do the running thing. I have never run much more than a mile in my life!!!
Breakfast soy milk
Lunch hamburger, fries, tea, m&ms, sip of daughters latte
Supper stir fry , rice, cantalope, bread
Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #230  

Hey all! I'm down 5lbs this week!!!

OK you wanna know what I ate today... It isn't great. Baby steps.

Breakfast: Plain Bagel w/ Cream Cheese
Lunch: Slice of deep dish pizza and an Oatmeal Creme Pie
Snack: Fat free Banana Nut Muffin
Dinner: Bologna Sandwhich and another Oatmeal Creme Pie (way to mix it up!)

Normally I have a little larger dinner but we were at the Verizon store kinda late so I just got something quick.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #231  
Lisa

S/C/G: 219/214/140

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' momma View Post
I used to have shin problems, but then I went to a running store and ran on the treadmill. They found the perfect shoes for a heavier girl with flat feet Now they never or rarely hurt.
Hey, I am a heavy girl with flat feet. What are the brand and name of running shoes you use? Maybe I can try a pair.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 AM   #232  
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy81 View Post
Exercise hasn't been very consistent for me these last 2 weeks. I have been sticking with strength training, but not the cardio.
Christy,

I started off doing good with exercise now I think I am worn out. Only worked out about 3 days last week. I am trying to get back in the groove this week. Eating - some good days- some bad days. I have been making better choices this week so I guess that is a positive thing.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:37 AM   #233  
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaFaire View Post
Hey all. I picked up Intuitive Eating and Diets Don't Work on Friday.

I've been doing pretty good. I don't think there's been any days where I ate when not hungry in the last week. It was TOM though so I don't know if the scale will go down or not. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Good Job Sabrina You inspire me.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #234  
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Oh, Kay, I feel for you. I get that way sometimes, too, especially when I see pictures. Last summer, when I was sick, I was 30lb thinner and looked good for the first time in 20yr. Then I took prednisone and gained it all back. But I have been really positive lately because I have been feeling much better and losing a little. Keep up the good work. I don't know how you do the running thing. I have never run much more than a mile in my life!!!
Breakfast soy milk
Lunch hamburger, fries, tea, m&ms, sip of daughters latte
Supper stir fry , rice, cantalope, bread
I hate taking pictures. I look really fat in all of them.
Breakfast - one egg, sausage patty
Lunch - Shrimp stir fry with rice
Dinner - catfish, salad, pasta, lemonade
Snacks - cantalope, watermelon
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #235  
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy81 View Post
Carol, I just started reading The Overfed Head. It's very interesting to me so far! Thanks!

I just woke up and what I want for breakfast is a chocolate chip cookie. My mind tells me, "you cannot have that cookie! It is not healthy!" But I WANT that cookie! I will probably eat that cookie, in fact, I may even eat 2 cookies! I want to banish those diet thoughts forever!!!
Christy,
Have those 2 cookies and enjoy every bite of them!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #236  
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaFaire View Post
Hey all! I'm down 5lbs this week!!!
Sabrina - way to go!! Down 5 pounds. Do the happy dance!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #237  

Lisa, I just got some NIKEs on sale. I'll let you know how they work out. They feel pretty good right now. Sabrina, Great news on the 5lb!!!!!!!! Seems one day I'm feeling great and the next day fat even though I lost 5lb a week ago, I haven't lost anymore since.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #238  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Fiddler, Can you give us a typical day of how your eating goes? I know we are all idividual but it just kinda helps see how others are working this out.
A typical weekday for me would be:

Breakfast: Fruit & cheese
Lunch: Chile verde, refried beans, brown Mexican rice (all homecooked)
Dinner: Thai Hot & Sour soup with shrimp (Tom Yum Khoong)
Snacks: Fruit, whenever I am hungry
Beverages: Water with lemon, black & green tea

Weekends would be pretty much the same, except I often skip a meal or two on weekends because I'm too busy to eat. My only hard and fast rule about what I can't eat is that I won't eat any low-fat, low-carb, etc. substitute for a food. I always use the real, "high octane" version. I also don't eat many processed foods; I mostly cook everything from scratch then freeze it in single serving portions. I don't drink sodas either, not even diet ones. But that's just because I don't like them anymore. Same with junk food. Most of it doesn't appeal to me. Gourmet food is another matter, lol. Big Macs and fried chicken do nothing for me, but I had an absolutely fabulous carpaccio from an Italian place around here a few days ago, and I'm still savoring the taste of it. Fortunately, most gourmet food is a LOT healthier than fast food. Unfortunately, however, my pocketbook can't support going to gourmet restaurants very often, so I had to learn to cook it myself.

I also do circuit training 4 times a week and walk 10 miles a week.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 PM   #239  

Lisa,
I wear Brooks Ariels. I have worn them for almost four years now. I just call the running store when I need new shoes to make sure they have them in stock and go get them. I tried to change to a pair of asics once and the pain began right away. Brooks is just the shoe for me. My dh on the other hand wears New Balance. He isn't heavy, but he has wide feet. They have worked really well for him.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #240  

FIddler,
I am with you about food. My family is not the fast food type. We like a really nice sit down meal- and yes, that is not good for the pocket book. We have had to limit our dining out to stay on budget. We would rather eat out at two nice restaurants a month than have mcdonalds every day. One of the biggest things I have done since shedding the diet mentality is to really try to vary the types of food I am eating. I do get into a rut for lunch- sandwich etc. but I plan the evening meals each week so that I look forward to eating at home. My 10 year old make a lot of comments about how happy he is that we don't eat frozen dinners anymore!
Closed Thread