Old 04-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #31  

Welcome Beanie. Good for you for doing LA without the Lites!

Good Morning. Boy did I sleep in today. Well, at WI I was down 2.2 (back to 162 even). Now I can move forward. Maybe the Blue plan is finally kicking me for me (and I"m doing better at sticking POP). If I keep up what I've been doing, (my mantra) I WILL make my goal!

About the clothes sizes, I'm 5'7" at 162 and fit into size 12s, or teens 13. I have some 10's my sister gave me. I can get them on, but they are still too tight for my comfort because I have a wide flat butt. Body shape has a lot to do with sizes as well as no quality control at mfg plants, and the fact that our clothes are made in every other country but America. Even Levi, they are not made in America, you can try on 5 pair of the same size jeans and all will fit differently. I wrote an email to Levi about a year ago because my non-shopper DH needed new jeans, I brought home several pair (about 6-8 in several different shopping trips) and he found 1 to fit in the waist, and all were suppose to be the same size.

Mandy, I would definately take bragging rights if I could fit into a size 6!

Well, I have to get moving. Take care and I'll stop back later. Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #32  
BAS
BAS

Good Morning GIrls and welcome newbies - its absolutely gorgeous here but my hubby informs me that the bears are out. I may have to drive out to the high way and park and walk - not sure - I really want to walk outside. But I could walk up and down my own short road here back and forth , back and forth until I get 45 minutes in - May have to dig out my CD for music because it will get boring.

I am down two pounds this morning on my scale which makes me happy. Somewhere in my freezer I have a turkey breast which I'm going to dig out and make tomorrow. I have lots of cleaning to do today - no grandkids I"m lost without them. So I have to keep busy or I"ll eat. Shopping is tomorrow with hubby - he's going to a gun show while I shop. WIth the price of gas we decided to go together. @2.39 per gallon SIckening and we have to have it. My friend at work asked if we should start carpooling and I said sure. We haven't decided yet.

Catch everyone later.
BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #33  

Sy - WHOOHOO! The blue plan IS the one for you! And I know what you mean about the same style/maker not being the same size-I've seen that with walmart jeans.

Beverly, WTG on the scale loss! What ever you're doing is working!

I love the stories you tell about where you live! I have NEVER seen a live bear. (I have seen a live President, though).

The price of gas is totally outrageous. It's gone up 30cents in the past 3 weeks. What a sticker shock! Good luck with the carpooling - it never worked that well with me - I don't like to talk to people that early in the morning.

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #34  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Julie, which President?

Welcome to Beanie...

Mandy~Wow, just enjoy being in a 6! That's cool. I do agree though that sizing is very different according to the manufacturer. It's hard to say you are a certain size anymore. My goal use to be to stay a single digit, like an 8, but i'd be happy to reach goal and i think when i am i'd be a 12/14. But it's been so long since i've been in those sizes, who knows.

I have my cousins wedding in CA in June, got the invitation the other day. So I have another incentive to get rid of this weight. I'm really excited to be there and share her day, she's a really dear person. She's marrying a cop. Good flirting material at the wedding i'm sure! Well, we'll have to see where this goes with Eric... he's continuing to call and we're going to see eachother tomorrow.

Star, that is so funny about DH and doing the moon-walk for you. I had an x-boyfriend who would make an elephant noise that cracked me up. Weird how those little things are so funny.

I was up at WI yesterday...but i'm not giving up. Doing good so far today.
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #35  
SW236/CW143/GW149

Good Morning! Thanks for all of the info on sizes. I think if someone were to ask me I would just say I'm in a comfortable size 10 and can fit in to some 8's and a rare 6. Boy that is a lot to say. I guess I need to stop worrying about sizes. I'll just focus on my goal and whatever size I end up being is fine with me.

Beanie- I'm new here also. Although you've probably been here longer. I lurked for about 5 minutes before I registered. I've also heard that sizes have changed over the years. I read a post on one of the forums the other day that said a size 6 today was a size 8 10 years ago. I was in high school 10 years ago and wore a size 7-9. That makes sense to me because I weighed between 135 and 140 then and now I'm 160 and can fit in to a size 8-10. So with today's sizes I would have been about a 6 back in highschool. Oh well, I can't get caught up in that. I'm 10 yrs older, don't play sports all of the time and have had a child. I can't excpect to be as thin as I was in high school. I just want to be the healthiest me.

Sy- I'm on the gold plan. What is the difference with that and the blue plan? We have the same stats right now. 5'7" 160 ish. (I was at 160.6, today I'm at 161.4) Just curious, because I want to get these last 11 to 12 pounds off! About my size.. I think I carry my weight pretty evenly, but I have a bigger chest and a J-lo booty. (I wished it looked as good as hers though) So I can't fit into the ultra low rise slim fit jeans. They won't go over my bum.

Mitchyoo-That's always great to have a date to look forward to where you can show off your success. It's a good motivater. Mine is April 16th. We're going to see some of my husbands family who haven't seen me since I was at about 177. I hope to be around 157 by then, so I'll be 20 pounds lighter this time around. Cool. I just now figured that out. I'm even more excited now.

I know! what is up with these gas prices? I heard a rumor that it could be up to around $3 by summer. I hope that isn't true. I wish all of the people would organize and not buy any gas for 1 or 2 days. It seems like that would make the prices go down. (at least temporarily)

Juile-I want to know which President you saw also. It's always fun to live vicariously through other people. I've also seen the size thing with wal-mart jeans. I guess that again goes to show me that I can't be obsessive about a size. Because it will vary depending on style/brand.

I'm going to a Sting concert tomorrow with some friends. I'm really looking forward to getting out of the house. My DH will have to stay at home with my DS though. Although that'll probably give them some good bonding time. I'm worried about going off plan tomorrow. I guess I shouldn't worry. I should just plan ahead and eat on plan. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I do really well OP when I'm in my regular day to day routine, but throw and event in there and it messes me up. I'm too close to being under 160 now. I don't want to gain 2 pounds in one day and have to lose it all over again. Anyway, hope you're all having a good weekend so far!

Mandy
mandyd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #36  

Default Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this board. Have been doing LAWL since December and have fluctuated SO much an am only down 7 pounds, but NOW I'm getting serious as my wedding is in November!!!

So how does this board work? Talk.. goals?
bride2bMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #37  
BAS
BAS

Hello Bride2bMeg: Talk, support, motivation, encouragement - friends - were all that. I'm not doing the LAWL right now but they still support me big time. The board on weekends are usually pretty quiet because everyone is busy doing things. I actually have more time on the weekends than I do at work because I can't post at work - I'm in the main office and everyone can see the screen and they would know I was chatting. Although when everyone leaves for a few minutes I do read the forum. It always makes me smile.

Just reading other people's posts keeps me motivated and makes me realize that I'm not the only one with a weight problem who cares about it. Loosing weight is so dang hard (for me anyway). You know I was just cleaning out a drawer and found an old report card of mine from 8th grade. I was 5 feet tall and 115 pounds - Why did I keep eating ( Oh I know why -) I was too shy and poor and knew it. My clothes were made by my mom the sweetie but most of it was cotton and straight down. Or we got hand me downs from real old folks - Yep - that was my wardrobe until I started babysitting at 14 and earned some of my own money. But that money - I spent on my parents mostly too because we struggled. Dad worked hard and mom was a stay at home mom who babysat some kids. Sometimes supper was hot home made bread, soup and cake for dessert - lots of carbs - meat was just so expensive.

Well welcome aboard and I wish you luck Meg to loose the weight before your wedding and more luck to keep it off. When I was a senior I weighed 190 pounds at 5.6 tall. When I married three years later I was 125 pounds - they had to take my wedding dress in. I stayed thin until the second child 7 years later and oh well - the story goes.

Happy Day
Old 04-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #38  

Hi chickies!

Nice to see some more new 'faces'!

Meg - we can be a pretty chatty group - we discuss dieting, exercise (there is another thread for that) and our journey along the LAWL life. Most of us here have been or are on LAWL - so we ditscuss the program, the plan, successes, and the trials and tribulations. There's also a fair amount of 'chick chatter'. It's pretty quiet around here on the weekends, since most chickies have lives away from the computer, but it can get pretty lively during the work week. Don't beat yourself up - you're SEVEN pounds lighter! Think where'd you be without the diet!

So, yeah, go ahead and post your goals - we'll be right next to you . . .

My goal is to try to lose 15 pounds by June 3rd - which is when I leave for my European vacation - although if I'm in size 12's I'll be pleased. That may not be possible, but it is a goal!

Michelle - sounds like we have similar goals! I'm glad that you're in touch with Eric. . . And I like your attitude about the wedding. .And good luck for the rest of the weekend. How is the knitting going? I'm considering a shawl/triangle shape for my travels. . .

Mandy - lucky you, getting to see Sting! I'm not sure I can really give you many pointers - you can have alcohol if you save a fruit or a starch - depending on what you drink. What kind of things will be around to tempt you? About the blue plan - it's supposed to be for people exercising, or diabetic, or on shift work (I think) - you get an extra 1/2 protein and a starch from the gold plan. Did you start on gold? (I'm on purple)

Okay - the President thing - many years ago I had a car that was in pretty bad shape, and a rattle because one of the heat absorbing things was loose. I used to work very close to the White House, and 10 years ago, you could actually drive in front of it. . . Mr & Mrs. Clinton were accross the street (I think they may have been visiting at Blair House - that's where many dignitaries stay - and Of Course, the police stopped the traffic while the President and First Lady where outside . . . And of course, there were a lot of press/TV/etc. . . And my poor car rattling away. Height of summer (may have been July or August) so of course, car windows open. . .I wanted to crawl UNDER the hood. I was suprised that no secret service man came up to me and ask me to turn off the engine. . . Boy, was I glad when they finally released us and I could get off Pennsylvania Avenue. . .Squirm time. However, I have a friend that got Bill Clintons biography autographed and she was pretty amazed at his charisma. (I only saw him from about 200 yards).

Hugs to all,
Julie
Old 04-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #39  
SW236/CW143/GW149

Welcome Meg! I'm new here also, but already feel like an old timer. This is a great group of ladies or should I say Chicks.

So, I guess what I'm worried about tomorrow is not the concert itself, I suppose it's hanging out with people who aren't trying to lose weight and being tempted to eat whatever they eat. We have a 2 1/2 hour drive to the concert, so I'm sure we'll either go to dinner or go somewhere after the concert. I don't drink, so I'm not concerned with that temptation, but I'm worried that I might eat pizza or hot dogs or something really yummy like mozerella sticks. Ok why do I torture myself like this. Now I'm craving all of the above things. Anyway, I think what I'll do is eat a really big salad or something before they come to pick me up and then maybe take a couple protein bars or something and drink a lot of water. That way I won't be hungry and will be less likely to overindulge. I'll probalby save my starches until dinner, so I can have more choices if we eat out somewhere. I can do this!!!

Well, I will talk to you all later!

Mandy

Cute story Julie. It gave me a chuckle
Old 04-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #40  

Mandy - it is tough - could you try to use carb craver, and plan for a piece of pizza as a protein? OR, stand tough, and choose a place for dinner that gives you latitude to choose what you want.. .Alot of times, we go with the flow, when what we want is just as important!! (Can you tell, I face this alot!)
Old 04-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #41  

Default A little light reading

Here's an article from ediets.com and Jorge Cruise, a little reading for a rainy night, at least in NYC. There's another article from that site I'll post over in the exercise yard. I'll be back on to catch up later. Work was a "beach" this week! - Melissa:

The 3-Hour Diet: Eat More, Lose More

By Kim Droze
eDiets Managing Editor

Spring has sprung. It’s time to put away those bulky clothes and flash a little flesh! If you need a little help shedding those extra pounds, click here to see what eDiets has to offer and choose from over 20 fantastic customizable plans.

Stop hunger, derail deprivation, and start losing belly fat -- your 3 greatest weight loss wishes are about to be granted by none other than renowned diet guru Jorge Cruise.

In this eDiets exclusive, Jorge unveils his groundbreaking new approach for melting away those extra pounds. The secrets are easily accessible in Jorge's new book, The 3-Hour Diet (HarperCollins). First, learn the 6 reasons you might not be losing.

Hot on the heels of his bestseller 8 Minutes in the Morning (HarperCollins) comes Jorge's latest offering which goes where no other diet has gone before.

"Timing is critical for effective weight loss," Jorge tells eDiets. "That’s my one statement. It’s not just what you eat but when you eat. It’s really a new way of thinking."

In a world of carb cutting, calorie counting and miracle foods, Jorge’s approach is a novel one. While other diets focus on what you eat, The 3-Hour Diet revolves around when you eat.

Jorge says that by eating every three hours you’re resetting your metabolism and preventing your body from going into starvation mode. That’s the bottom line of his innovative new program.

Forget food scales and carb counting manuals -- a watch is about to become your most important diet tool!

"It’s not five hours or two hours. Three hours is ideal because if you allow more than that your starvation protection mechanism is turned on," Jorge t ells eDiets.

"That’s when the body starts to burn calories. Most people would say that’s fantastic. But when you’re in starvation protection mode, you burn a combination of fat and muscle. When you lose muscle, you lose metabolism. The key is to never go into starvation protection.

"This plan prevents you from doing that. You only burn 100 percent fat and never any muscle. You maintain your metabolism. My worst pet peeve is when I have clients who skip breakfast and won’t eat until noon. All that time in the morning, you’re eating up and cannibalizing lean muscle. You’re eroding the resting metabolism and that erodes all success."

Among the other benefits of good timing: increased basal metabolic rate, increased energy levels, suppressed appetite, lowered cholesterol and reduced levels of the belly-bulging hormone cortisol. By following The 3-Hour Diet, your daily itinerary should look much like this:

7 a.m. breakfast
10 a.m. mid-morning snack
1 p.m. lunch
4 p.m. mid-afternoon snack
7 p.m. dinner

Jorge says with his new plan you eat what you want. It’s that simple. Jorge is a firm opponent of cutting out any foods or food groups. He says deprivation may equal short-term loss but it leads to long-term gain. Jorge’s not giving you license to go out and binge.

"It’s about new thinking," he explains. "You have to break with old thought. If you like chocolate, eat it... just don't eat the whole box. If you like carbs, eat bread... just not the whole loaf. It’s common sense. Everyone knows that."

With The 3-Hour Diet, you enjoy three meals and two treats each day. As a guideline for meal planning, Jorge has created The 3-Hour Plate which provides a visual aid for portion control. He recommends using a standard 9-inch plate. Fill half the plate with vegetables the equivalent of three DVD cases. Then fill the other half of the plate with carbohydrates the equivalent of a Rubik’s Cube, protein the equivalent of a deck of cards, and a teaspoon of fat the equivalent of a water bottle cap. (See graphic at left.)

As for snack choices, they can range from M&M’s to Nabisco 100-calorie packs. It's important for you to stay around 100 calories, he says. Overall, you’ll enjoy the foods you like… every three hours you're awake.

The side effects of his healthy eating regimen include losing two pounds a week -- starting with belly fat -- and lowering your hunger threshold.

If you hit a plateau and stop losing weight, check to see if any of these 6 factors are to blame:

1. You’re menstruating. Most women retain water and therefore gain a pound or two during that time of the month. Don’t sweat it. Once your period ends, you’ll step back on the scale to find that you really did continue to lose fat.

2. You’re taking a new medication. Certain medications, such as steroids, some heart meds and birth control pills, can cause water retention which will boost your weight on the scale. Others, such as certain antidepressants, can boost appetite and slow your metabolism, triggering weight gain.

3. You’re consuming too much salt. Sodium can cause water retention. Although this isn’t fat gain, it is frustrating to step on the scale and not see results. Keep your salt intake below 2,000 milligrams a day. Switch from salt to a salt substitute such as Mrs. Dash and read food labels.

4. You’re been exercising. If you’ve been incorporating Jorge’s 8 Minute Moves into your program, you’ve added some lean muscle, which may boost your weight on the scale. This is good weight, so don’t stop. His 8 Minute Moves will add about one quarter-pound of muscle per week, or about one pound per month.

5. You’re using the scale inappropriately. Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day and week, which is why he recommends you weigh yourself just once a week at the same time of day. You’ll find you weigh more later in the day than in the morning.

6. You weigh less than 150 pounds. In this case, you may need to switch to a slightly different eating plan.

To get your copy of The 3-Hour Diet, click here.

Get ready to become a weight loss winner. To get started, click here and fill out a free diet profile.
videochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #42  
SW236/CW143/GW149

Julie- I forgot to mention that I did start on the Purple plan. They switched me to the gold plan when I hit about 190. (approx 45 lbs lost) Thanks for explaining the blue plan. I didn't know it existed.

Mandy
Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #43  

Good morning chicks!

Happy Daylight Savings!

Melissa, thanks for posting that list. Today is the first day off steroids. I guess one of my goals should be to drink lots of water! Also, I think it's interesting about eating every 3 hours - that is also part of what I've been reading. Apparantly, we burn about 10% of the calories we eat in digestion - and if we eat frequently, we keep the fires going. PLUS - our bodies get used to the idea that we keep on feeding them, so they don't worry about holding onto excess fat! (I am not too sure about his cookie snacks, but that's me. . .)

Mandy - I'm supposed to move to gold after I reach 183. Although I may fight them on it. . . I think it's awesome that you've had such success on the program.

One of the things I'm thinking about is post-goal-weight goals. Have you thought about that?

Hi to the new chicks!
Hope all have a good POP day!

Julie
Old 04-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #44  
BAS
BAS

Good Morning Julie and anyone else up. Its a gorgeous day -already got my walk in outside. Were going shopping in a little bit - fleet farm, walmart etc. I have been OP perfect (three days now). I got even more determined when the scale was up a pound today so now I have the measuring scale out and was surprised at what two ounces actually is. So I've been over guessing. Not any more though.

I've decided I've cheated enough and no more. I want control and I even sleep better going to bed knowing I was OP today. But come Friday may be a challenge - I'm meeting my daughter and my sister for lunch. We all have doctor appointsments in the big city. You know when the doctor weighs you and if your over 200 at my height of 5.5 they write you down as obese - never again will I let that happen - I'm sure it says overweight but hopefully never obese again. But NOT FOR LONG!!!

Okay I gotta get my lunch in and then were gonna get going. Have a great day. I'll check back later tonight. I can't believe the weekend is almost over - But then the sooner this week goes the sooner I get my grand daughter - YAE.

Bye
Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #45  
SW236/CW143/GW149

Good Morning!
I haven't thought about post goal weight loss goals. I suppose I need to start thinking about that. The obvious one is to maintain my weight, but I haven't thought further than that. I guess another one would be to get in shape. I really want to tone up.

One thing I'm having a problem with now is not getting enough water in. I was going to ask for tips, but I know that I just need to do it. It's as easy as that, but sometimes it can seem hard.

I eat about every 2 to 3 hours. Sometimes I can't wait 3 hours to eat, so I don't know if I could just say only every 3 hours. I know that I rarely go over 3 hours without eating though, so I guess at least I'm doing that right.

I've been maintaning my weight for a couple of days. It's my TOM (am I saying that right?) So I really shouldn't even be weighing myself. I have an unhealthy scale obsession though and can't go a day without weighing myself.

Bev- I know what you mean about being able to sleep better at night when you've stayed OP. It's true for me also. I've went through phases where I was miscalculating oz too. And the other day I realized that for a few days. I was measuring my meat after it was cooked and not subtracting an oz. Congrats on eating OP for three days. Keep it up. I was on a roll for a few weeks. Which is uncommon for me. I usually cheat a little here and there. I had something off plan the other day and gained a pound. It was just one silly italian sub! Oh well. I didn't let it get me down. Just have to keep going.

Well, I hope you are all having a good day. It's cloudy and rainy here. I want some sunshine!

Mandy