Old 04-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #46  

Happy Day Light Savings!

Well, it's been raining here for 2 days and looks like it will be continuing through tomorrow and then we have a 2 day break and it's suppose to rain for another 3 days. It's spring! The buds are coming out and although I hate rain, it sure does some amazing stuff (like budding of the trees and flowers) and unamazing things like flooding. I my sister just called and her stone wall and fence has collasped. Many roads in the CNY area are closed due to flooding, and rivers and lakes are over flowing. Many people without subpumps in their basements have had basement flooding. Yikes - so far, I have been lucky!

Mandy: It may be too late to tell you this, but my sister found these chicken sausage type things at BJ's in the meat department. They are 140 calories and taste like kielbasa - had one for lunch yesterday. They are low in fat, so if they are having hotdogs, this might be something that you could bring with you to avoid the hotdog temptation? Of course, if you could eat them cold? Maybe another time. Have fun at the concert!

Welcome to the board bride2bemeg. We have another bridetobe who is getting married this weekend or it may have been last week and she's on her honeymoon? I'm not quiet sure.

Well, just wanted to stop by and check on everyone. I have to get dressed and go pickup some patio furniture that a friend is giving me as she is moving to NC and doesn't want to lug it with her. Can't wait to see it. I told her I would take it sight unseen. Have a great day. (and yes, it's after 3:00pm and I'm still not dressed - it goes with rainy days, doesn't it? ).

Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #47  
One Day At A Time

Good Day to all!!!

I joined LAWL on March 15th and am doing fairly well. I basically like the program but find it frustrating that the counselors aren't trained more. If you ask 3 different counselors a question, you will get three different answers. That is very frustrating. I have dieted for many years and am a diabetic and a nurse and feel like I know more about things than they do. I would like to be able to combine foods for dishes but have received little help from them. I know how to count proteins, starches, etc... but they don't count them like I do. Cheese has always been counted as a protein. Anyway......

Congratulations to those doing so well!! Those cheating or off plan for whatever reason, tomorrow is a new day, why not make a fresh start and get that weight off before the heat comes. One thing that is keeping me on plan is the cost. My hours have dropped lately so I don't want to be paying them and then gaining.

When I joined, I put my whole family on the plan. I adjusted it for my teenager and my 8 yr old. They eat slim fast bars and south beach bars instead of LA. In 2 1/2 weeks my husband has lost 16 lbs and two pants sizes, my teenager 10 lbs and the 8 yr old 5 lbs. Together we have lost THIRTY NINE LBS in just 2 1/2 weeks!!!!!

Does anyone have any recipes besides the cookbook ones? Things like muffins, cornbread? Does anyone know whether we can use Krusteaz muffins?

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks,
mrsSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #48  

Hi again, chickies

MrsSmiley, you are absolutely right - the LAWL way of counting exchanges is nothing like any other diet I've ever been on. Like why is cheese a dairy, but cottage cheese is a protein? And you probably do have more knowledge - you've got training most people don't have, but also not many of the conselours have much nutrition training outside of the LAWL way - so that's the way they'll answer a question.

I also agree with you about combining foods - it doesn't seem to be a LAWL suggested way of doing things, since the portions are counted as full proteins, etc.

About the packaged mixes - there doesn't seem to be any prepared/canned stuff in the program except for frozen dinners like lean cuisines, etc. The food is pretty plain. The only reference I can give you is that the most calories per serving for a starch is about 70-80 cals - about 1 small whole wheat pita bread or 1/3 c of pasta - if you can make the mixes work in that range, you could give it a try. However, there may be added sodium to watch out for.

It's terrific that your whole family is doing so well on the program!

Sy - we had flooding here, too, but it looks like we'll finally have sunshine and upper 60's this week. My azaleas are beginning to bud. . . I think.

Mandy - I have the same scale obsession. I actually don't think it's that bad, since I have a better idea of what causes it to go up. (One tip for the water - try a straw. I always seem to drink more that way) (and yes TOM is the right way to say it). The reason I asked about post weightloss goals, is that I've been overweight for so long, and it's been such a big part of my life for so long, that I need to have a goal PAST that. Otherwise, I'll lose focus. It's just one of those things in the back of my head - I still have many pounds to go.

Beverly - did you see any bears? I have to pull out the scale too sometimes - I get too used to eating lean cuisines, or a can of tuna. . .and my eyes don't measure the same from day to day. I also UNDERMEASURE things sometimes, which is also bad. About the cheating - maybe you should decide on ONE cheat a week. And then you can look forward to it. And once you've had it, it's over. I know you can handle Friday. Just pick the place that has the most choices! You deserve it! Are you trying to follow calories at all?

Enjoy the extra sunshine, chickies!
Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #49  
BAS
BAS

No bears but a friend said they saw one and they are definitely out. I took the dog this morning and when he quits going in one direction then I stop too.

I am embarrassed to tell you this again I'm back to doing the 6WBMO with M Thurmond again. Boring but it works - because I just keep climbing up. Its so strict and thats what I need - not even a chocolate kiss. I also know I have to stick with it no matter what - its the only plan for me. Hopefully I loose it by summer otherwise my Luna Bars will get old on me.

I brought myself size 12 black Riders jeans - I just tried them on- they fit great! I almost cried. But I couldn't tuck anything into them yet. I also brought two neon colored t shirts - orange and blue just to be colorful - and not my age at all. Those I want to wear tucked in - thats my goal - my huge big goal. I was really pretty good today - cooked up all my foods. My treat to myself was a new plant. I love plants in every room hanging plants though - so I'm excited to put that up. I also brought a small bulletin board because I want to put old and new pictures on it of everyone in my family - sort of like a colage (sp). Something to do right.

Anyway I'm off to a good start especially for a weekend - watching my hubby eat chips and my son eating crackers and I just walked away with my big glass of water. I'm so dang proud of myself - I only hope that being true to this plan really really does work quickly. The last time I did this (two years ago) I lost 20 pounds in six weeks. I need to do that again. Well have to see . Six weeks is a long time but I told my 9 year old grand daughter - I promised her I would wear shorts this summer and by George I am.

Okay I"m gonna go do something. TIme for my mini snack too - two boiled egg whites and a few strawberries.

Have a great night- Hugs
BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #50  

Hello girls, Wow! I was at a convention for almost the whole week and I can't believe how many postings there have been!
Tommorrow is my first day, I am starting the two-day thing and then going in on Tuesday to get the meal plan I am excited. I am ready to shed some pounds.

Beanie: I was happy to see that you refused the bars, I was wondering what they would do in these types of cases, because I have a thryoid disorder and I have heard that people with thyroid disases should not have a high intake of soy, which I think from what I have heard that these bars do?

Keep up the good work everybody and thanks for being motivated.
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #51  

Default Here's to a good week!

Hi, everyone,

I thought I would get on-line sooner than this but work has been a royal pain and then this weekend I babysat for my sister who started back to work after maternity leave.

Just a quick cheer for us to all do the best we can this week!

It was miserable here all weekend, I tried to eat on plan while at my sister's but she has way too many goodies in the house for my dear BIL who is still as trim as when we were in high school. Ack!

As for sizes, I'm 5'6" and at WI Friday I was 162. I wear a 12, there is the odd ten I can get into. I agree that body shape also has a lot to do with it, even at my smallest, about 135-140 I usually wore a ten, maybe a few eights. I'm broad through the hips and the shoulders and my arms and legs are pretty long. LA had my goal at 135 but I had them change it to 145, I will be happy to be a comfortable, loose size 10. A friend of mine was a buyer for The Gap about 10 years ago and she told me that they had "downsized" their sizing, meaning what was once a size 10 was now marked as size 8, hence people felt better that they fit in a smaller size and would buy, when really they were buying their regular size (if that makes sense). I don't think the gap still does this from my own recent experience or else with all these low cut, skinny leg jeans things just fit different. Anyway, I say buy what feels good on you, not based on the size tag.

Oh, and if anyone sews here, did you ever consider the sizing on clothes patterns, sometimes my measurements are for size 16. So really there is no standard in the industry.

Well off to bed, sweet dreams

Melissa
videochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #52  

Good morning, chickies!

(I can tell TOM is creeping up on me, when I wake up at 4:30 in the morning, and that's with daylight savings time. . .)

Marisa- please check with your doctor! I've heard this too, that soy is NOT recommended for people with thyroid problems! Did you tell LAWL that you were hypothryroid when you started?

Melissa - yes, body shape and bones definately have a lot to do with sizes - I'm pretty narrow above the waist, which is why I could get into 4's when I was at 135 the last time. And my limbs are shorter than average (really!) so I'm always rolling up sleeves - any height I have is in my trunk -and it is true that the sizes for sewing patterns haven't changed in YEARS. I have patterns from the early 90's through now that have the same measurements.

Haylo/Janelle - yes, the lites are supposed to have soy protein in them and the luna's do, too.

Beverly - I am so jealous that you can fit into size 12 jeans! That is absolutely terrific! And WTG that you bought some bright colors. I was going through my spring clothes and found a tshirt that is bubblegum pink - and I looked at - and thought, now will I ever wear this really? You inspired me to at least put it on (although I'm not sure it fits - it may be one of those 'carrot' things I've bought). Please don't be embarrassed about starting 6WBMO over again. It seems to be something that you are comfortable with and trust that it works for you.

Mandy, tell us how Sting was?

Star, how did the move go?

Woohoo - temps are supposed to be above 60 all this week!

Hugs to all!
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #53  
One Day At A Time

Good Morning All!!

Thanks for much Julie for the reply. I'm planning on asking them tomorrow when I go back to give me some guidelines to what equals what. If they would do that then I would be able to do some combination dishes.

Does anyone has any real good Low fat, low sodium dressing recipes??? I would love to be able to make my own. My favorites of course are Ranch, thousand Island, etc.. Haven't found a vinegarette that I really like yet, except a raspberry at a restaurant we sometimes eat at.

Well, I hope everyone has a GREAT Monday!!!

mrsSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #54  

Julie: Wow, in the 60s this week. Don't you just love living in VA? I'm so happy that you can see azaleas in bloom! My SIL lives in Portsmouth, VA and is always talking about her azaleas in blooming this time of year. A true sign of Sping. I get excited when our lilacs are in bloom but that's not until the end of May. LOL! Plus, I love the scent! I went to 2 weeks of training in RTP outside of Raleigh, NC a few years ago. It was in May and I swear, I thought that I died and went to heaven. It was early May, warm, and each morning I would drive to training and smell the honeysuckle in bloom. It was awesome. Something we don't see/smell in the NE. Julie, about the size 4. My workout buddy is small on top and has a very tiny waist, she weights about 140 at 5' 4" and she wears a size 4 as well. I don't think I've ever worn a size 4 - maybe when I was 5 years old. LOL!

I have to say, I had a pretty good weekend as far as OP. My WI on Friday really has me excited about reaching my BD goal.

Bev: Wow, bears? And you still go for a walk? Yikes! I know they bears in the Adirondacks Mts but have never seen one. Hopefully I won't either. I'm not a camper type of person so it's likely that I won't ever get the chance. Your a brave lady!

Haylo: Good luck at starting LA. I'm so happy your starting. I started the same week last year and you will be amazed at how much weight you can lose if you can stick to the plan. We are all here to root you on!

Smiley: Welcome, and WTG on the weight loss. Great that the whole family is involved. I don't think there is any muffin or cake type of item that will fit into LA's plan. As far as mixing things. There are several ways if your creative. I'll write a few things in the Recipe Board of some of the things that I have used - maybe that will help you out. Give me a few days. My sister is always thinking up new ways of combining foods. Tell me what you like and I can ask her and it will give me an idea of where to start on my posting. She and I made this cabbage dish yesterday. Her's are always yummier than mine as I'm on the Blue Plan and she's on Purple.

Fashion: Welcome to the board too! Have you ever posted here before as I I don't recall seeing your board name before. If you have, sorry I miss it. How long have you been doing LA? Maybe you posted on the BIOs page and I missed it? I'm just interested in everyone that posts. Hope you get your answers on the soy before you have any adverse reaction.

Video: Your doing great. I'm 1 inch taller than you but our weight is the same.

Starlynn: How did the move go? I don't envy you, but I'm sure it's exciting to have a new place to live (and just think, no lawn mowing). If you ever feel the urge/need for some lawn work, I'm sure I could arrange for your visit to the NE.

I gotta run. Take care everyone! ~Sy~
Old 04-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #55  
BAS
BAS

Good Monday Morning: Julie - this size 12 must be weird in that style because I can't wear 12's in other jeans but it makes me smile. (wildlife) Hubby is going to walk with me and I take my phone just in case. There is a little traffic out this way and I"m always checking to see which tree I think I can get my butt up. (Ha ha).

Smiley - try this vinegrette: 1 cup vinegar, 3 tsp chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp basil (Fresh if possible) 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp pepper, Splenda to taste. I haven't tried this but I"m making it tonight if you'd rather wait until I try it out. I got it off the 6WBMO recipe forum. I"m quite the lettuce eater so I need to find a good dressing.

Oooooooooh was it hard getting up at 5:30 and in my head I kept saying its only 4:30.

Star I also hope your move this weekend was fun. How exciting to set up the new house. Enjoy.

Gotta go - time is ticking away. Hugs to everyone.
BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #56  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Well, it finally happened yesterday! Two people made reference to me losing weight! My cousin was behind me yesterday in church when we went for communion and she said i was looking good when we got back to our seats! I was thrilled inside, i was taken back b/c like we discussed earlier, i was a little discouraged b/c i knew my efforts but no one seemed to. So i was thrilled. Then at my church group last night my Aunt took me aside and commented that I was looking great. I know they are family so maybe that's it, but it was wonderful.

Saw Eric this Sat. too! He had a golf-lesson that cancelled so he asked me to dinner. Had a wonderful time.
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #57  

Mitchy: So glad that someone finally noticed your efforts! I love that feeling. I know it can be discouraging until the first time. Once 1 person notices, more will too. Keep up the good job! Forgive me, but is Eric the one that had issues, or is he the one after that?

Where is everyone today? Board seems so quiet. Sy
Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #58  

Mandy and Fashn: I just read your bios. Thanks for posting.

Mandy, any time you want to talk about your WI journey, please don't feel like no one will want to hear it. We love reading your stories and sharing our own stories here. You have come a long way, and -75 lbs in a year is awesome! You have a lot to be proud of!

Fashn: You didn't mention how tall you are?

Take care, Sy
Old 04-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #59  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Sy, no Eric isn't the one with issues, that was Bruce, and i'm not sure what happened to him, he was ill, said it was hard for him to communicate and then wouldn't return my call. So i just pray for him.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #60  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Speak of the devil, he just sent me this: Michele, I apologize, I have not been here much though. Please dont think this has any reflection on you. I think you are very special and appreciate having met you. I am doing OK, and id like to thank you for your friendship. I hope to make it up to you, Bruce

Still won't tell me what is wrong, it's aggravating...