Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #106  

Height: 5'7"

Here is the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...chmentid=17582

1 lb of muscle is the same as 1 lb of fat to be sure, but 1 cup of muscle does weight more than 1 cup of fat, if you are thinking of volume. Muscle is more dense. I personally, am very, very dense!

Report: I had 3 teeny cookies (smaller than one standard one). I don't know if I should get a for that or not, but it felt like a good result.

Anne
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #107  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
Report: I had 3 teeny cookies (smaller than one standard one). I don't know if I should get a for that or not, but it felt like a good result.

I'm sending you a for getting through your cookie day! Good Job!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches - Tis the season to run around in circles a bit. But did manage to take my long walk to the supermarket and get some Kale for next week's lunches. CREDIT moi.

My current efforts are to nibble back on some of the 100 calories items that seem to have crept into my life. My normal up and down scale isn't downing as much as upping. For example, this summer I added an ear of corn to lunch every day - no big deal right? And, despite it's reputation, corn is food, not junk. But 100 calories a day adds to the upping by nearly a pound a month and in six months I can see it. So I'll do little things like drop the afternoon snack when dinner isn't that far away. And I'll be more conscious of the size of apples in my evening snack - another thread reminded me that a one pound apple is a lot of apple.

onebyone - Kudos for making a decision about the gym; IMHO, the big deal is to make a responsible decision, more important then which way the decision goes, because then you can work around the ramifications. I think that many of us get stuck by not choosing either the high road or the low road and then just wallowing in place. Now you are able to make home workout choices. Good for you.

In the "Say it ain't so Joe" department: LOL at the decision to open the two lanes on the bridge over the Ottawa River due to increased traffic flow, that had previously been closed for safety. That bumps into one of my prejudices about Canada - that government decisions usually make sense. Oh Well. Maybe there's a good safety reason; maybe the increased traffic will cause people to drive more slowly and that makes it more safe. (Not willing to let go of my prejudice easily.)

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back. Still laughing "krickety" and "crankier."

shrinkin - Congrats on being pain free and starting strengthening. And Congrats on the new lower weight. Sounds like you're pulling stuff together. Kudos for not overeating the Chinese food.

Ouch for the story about your mom's prescription. That's tough trying to help without solid information. Sounds like you still need to find a reliable link into her assisted living place, even though the cell phone of administrator would seem to be as good as one could get. Continue to send supportive thoughts for you and your mother here.

angelmoma210 - Hope things are going well.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Hey, I like your DRILLS also. Neat stuff. Particularly like "D rink 0 cal" - that's a big one for me. Kudos for your focus on Desire.

I wouldn't think you have to sweat skipping the meal skip with hunger if you've already done that. It was an eye opener for me because I was so flabbergasted that the hunger went away in hour and that the discomfort was only at level 3 or so. If you have already internalized that, you're ahead of the game.

Your yoga discussion yesterday pushed me just right. I studied the schedule of yoga classes at my gym. Of course, there is no time slot in life that doesn't bump into something. But I'm gonna make an effort to at least try one.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for "3 teeny cookies." Awesome job. Looks to me like you're rollinrollinrollin again.

LOL at "140 juice and chocolate milk boxes" - your DH is my kind of guy. If you're ever in our area let me know - I have a big station wagon and he and I can go together.

More on Mindless Eating: I was surprised when I measured our dinner plates and found them to be 10 inches diameter, since the book suggests we're all using 12 inch. Are we odd? Does everyone else use 12 inch plates?

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
I'm really hungry.
... "
Beck, pg 193.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #109  

Height: 5'7

Robin ~ It sounds like a good sign that in 21 days it will be the New Year.....it sounds like a solid plan and you are clear and focused. woo-hoo for you!

Onebyone ~ how do you like your mini-trampoline workouts? I was thinking it might be an excellent cold weather-can't go outside alternative. I am impressed that you know how to spell the word "mnemonic"! It sounds as if you are putting alot of thought and energy into getting clear and taking the time to plan and be aware....your enthusiasm is leaping off the page....woo-hoo for you! I am a huge flylady fan also....it is amazing what 15 minutes can do (finally loving yourself!). Glad you liked Dr. Drills....and yes, L could be "listen to your gut"...good one...I guess the best thing is to adapt what Dr Beck suggests is a way that works for us individually, what helps us to succeed and met our personal goals, and our individual and unique personalities.

Anne ~ the wagon is waiting for you....it's right outside your door....I have found that there needs to be time and space to make a commitment and stay commited....the holiday season seems to eat up time and space and present many food and family and emotional challenges....it's all part of the process....and as long as you are aware of your goal/wish/desire, and don't give up or give in, you'll climb in the wagon when you are ready and the time is right....and it will be the perfect time....just like a flower, it blooms when the conditions are right for the blooming......be gentle with yourself....the wagon train is waiting patiently....you'll know when the time is right. Babysteps, babysteps, babysteps! woo-hoo for you for being aware, even being aware that you don't have time for Beck...awareness is key! And I think you did awesome at your cookie party.....I hope I do as well....I am kinda thinking that I may have sublimally influenced you to 3 since I upped the ante on your original comments....sorry about that ;o(

Bill ~ wow....a handstand?! Never could do one of those. You provided some interesting reflections though about finding what I can do well and focusing on that and letting the rest grow....I am really, really good at the just laying there meditation part! I always said I was very good at doing nothing! LOL! I am happy that I helped to push you.....healthy choices can be contagious too! You have an interesting walking path....thru a park and past a Whole-Foods! Yeah, sometimes the safety fears come up for me to....my cell phone helps a bit knowing that I am connected. Your pineapple experience sounds like the height of Mindful Eating...such lovely awareness...woo-hoo for you!

Shrinkin' ~ woo-hoo for you for saying good-bye to the '90's! Your consistent and persistent and commited efforts are reflecting themselves on the scale! Our bodies are mysterious machines sometimes aren't they? I know my body loses in cycles over time....and I can't always see the immediate connection from action to results....I need to trust the plan....and it seems to me that your consistent efforts are revealing themselves. Good job!

best wishes,
Andrea aka thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-14-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #110  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Sunday morning

Morning coaches,

OP yesterday in spite of work party last night. Had several food stations scattered over a very large indoor garden museum. Passed on entire Tex-Mex station, and focused on baked Italian chicken, green beans, caulifolower and broccoli mix and some delish Italian vegetables. For desert, had ONE chocolate covered strawberry. CREDIT MOI. For sitting down, everytime I got something from a stationi. CREDIT MOI because it took really working to find a place to sit.

Did not get enough life chores done yesterday and have to go to office today to meet a deadline for tomorrow. Must run....not sure if I will be back before tomorrow...sending a great OP day to all!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #111  

Height: 5'7"

Andrea, just a quickie--you didn't influence me to 3 cookies! I got caught in the "it's small so one more won't hurt" trap. So my thoughts/behavior behind the third cookie bothers me more than the number of calories.

Back later, kids are needing attention...

Anne
Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #112  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Happy Sunday

I had another 100% day yesterday. Even managed to get hubby to come to the grocery store with me, to stock back up on veggies. I had been having a bit of trouble figuring out how to eat my veggies without the dressings, or sugared/lowfat dressings added to it. I found a few recipes last night, and picked up some lemon juice. I just may have it figured out!

Anne~ thanks for the link....I knew it was around someplace. Ive read it many many times.

Bill~ Kudos for recognizing what was creating an up-creep. Good for you! I dont know how big our plates are...Im going to go have a look-see.

shrinkin~ yup, Im low carbing it, but Im also working on getting excessive yeast out of my system as well. No, atkins isnt a "no-carb" diet. I eat plenty of lower carb veggies, and keep my cheese down to 2oz a day, and butter to no more than 2tbsp (which is alot) I also dont eat much bacon, simply because I have trigger issues with bacon. I eat mostly chicken, fish and ground turkey....I very rarely eat beef. Its usually a treat.....I'll have a nice big steak in the summer on the grill with lots of mushrooms, but thats about it. You also asked about fruits....Ive never been a big fruit eater. Certain fruits trigger me as well....like watermelon. I can't eat just one slice of watermelon. It just isnt possible. So I tend to stay away from that stuff. I'll eat berries, and maybe cantalope if Im wanting fruit....which isnt that often so I dont miss it.

thinkerbell~ I am thinking more clearly....funny how that happened once I decided to take back the control. You'd think I'd learn!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #113  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up getting some

Hey There Coaches

Let's go start with the good stuff.
's for 1) drinking my water
2) getting my fibre and vitamins in
3) doing my 30 min on the trampoline
4) writing down my food

: Need to work on
1) reading the Beck Book! Yikes! Fell asleep without doing this for 2 nights now. Today I'll catch up.
2 ) Still eating every three or four hours as per foodplan of choice but I begin my meal at the counter not at the table.
3) DH was being thoughtful last night and as we passed each other on the stairs he had a piece of cheese for me and I opened my mouth up like a baby bird and just took it! Yikes! Just like Pavlov's dog. *this was offplan cheese* Oh Well.

So far today I have consumed a bowl of high fibre granola cereal with my flaxmeal mixed in for breakfast. I've had a glass of water and one more to come after this post. In about an hour I'll get on the tramp and jump for 30 min. After that, my life is wide open. I've been slowly getting more and more sleep. Every morning I get up a bit later. It's awesome. I am getting rested. It's really nice not to be walking around in a fog.
I didn't do any cleaning yesterday but will start somewhere today. It doesn't matter where I look, it's a disaster everywhere. Guess I'll start with the spaces that others may see if they dropped by. Getting my place ready for a visitor may be a good way to focus my efforts.

BillBlueEyes I like it that you think the low road can be a choice. Don't know why I like it but I do! I like that you think well of Canadians Bill but governments are made of politicians and I am afraid their kind is the same the world over Our current government is a bit like this: if you know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink.

thinkerbell I am okay with the mini trampoline workouts. I'm not head over heels about them (I prefer the pool over everything) but I don't expect to be either. I do enjoy bouncing and I just do it in front of the TV so mostly the time passes fairly easily. I never feel like it's doing much until around the 18 min mark when I start to sweat and then I have to push for the next 12. When I come off the bouncer my legs are like jelly. I can really feel the workout then. I also cling to the "fact" that they ("experts")say that rebounding massages every cell in your body and is especially good for the lympathic system. When you bounce up you are "weightless" for a millisecond and as the gravity pulls you back down you squish your cells. Every one of them in your body. And so this open/close up/down is supposed to be an inner massage and this is supposed to be very healthful. Is this true? I don't know. Maybe. Apparently NASA endorses it. I'm doing it for 21 days straight so I'll let you know what my experience is.

shrinkin Credit you indeed for your handling of the Christmas party food. Awesome! AND you sat down. I am inspired. Hope you get your work done faster than you thought you would.

RobinW How'd the pottery go? What'd ya make??? Kudos for getting through day 1 and 2 100% I got DH to go grocery shopping too last week. Still smiling about that! Your plan sounds good. Keep going!

Wishing everyone a great Sunday

Waving with my pompoms at wndranne, angelmoma210, Olive2, kuhljeanie (get some rays for me too!), bennyhannahmama, twilit tera, coastal sue and maryblu.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #114  
Lovin' Life

onebyone~ I used to love bouncing!! Id turn trace adkins up as high as I could and go to town!! My bouncer started splitting tho, and I didnt replace it. Maybe I should ...hmmm...

at the pottery place I made a snowman bowl/plate thingy lol Kind of a bowl, but not too scooped, it could be a curved plate? I'll post a picture of it when I go get it next saturday.

Sounds like you are doing great!! Keep it up!

Special treat for me today.....I havent gone and had this done in over 2 yrs....I went and had my nails done Pretty good, and I only messed up one on the way home

Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #115  

Hello there fellow Becksters!

It's been QUITE a while. I sorta started lurking when school started (I'm a 2nd grade teacher), but I've been plugging away all along.

The last couple of weeks have presented me with some real challenges and I'm trying to sort out what's going on, dietwise. Maybe you can help me.

I have been eating off plan for more than a week now, with just one of those days on plan. Today, so far so good.

I think the struggles began when I stepped on the scale one day and it had really dropped. More than I had expected. Doesn't sound like a problem, right? Well I don't know why but I keep thinking back to that experience and I think there is something to learn about my struggles in there somewhere. Has this ever happened to any of you? Have you figured out what's up?

It's like when I imagine my weight REALLY going down, it causes me to eat. There's just something scary about it. What the heck is that about??

After this incident I began eating off plan, mainly in binges. Then, we hosted a holiday party and there were a lot of leftover trigger foods, so I thought the best way to 'clean' them up would be to eat them. The vicious cycle began.

The net net of all of this is that I continue to hover around 35 pounds lost. But I'm not losing, because, duh, I'm not eating on plan. It's very scary.

Any advice out there would really be appreciated.

Sorry it's been so long since my last post, but I've been with you all in spirit.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #116  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Coaches I've been majorly distracted by some stuff going on in my life-- it's mostly good and it's been making me NOT want to eat much at all. I've forced myself to eat something the past few days, but it's hard. This has never really happened to me before-- maybe I am becoming like a thin person, LOL!

So, sorry I haven't checked in (I think knowing that I've been doing well has helped me justify not posting here.) I have been reading your posts though!

I hope to get back in the swing of things this week.

Freer

I have so much to say on the question you brought up, but not a lot of time. I just wanted to let you know that I have experienced this same thing repeatedly. So much so that I now have to watch myself (and my sabotaging thoughts) really carefully. Without sounding too Dr. Phil here, have you ever considered what benefits you are receiving from being overweight? I know that sounds weird (especially considering how much time and energy we put into losing it and how badly we want to lose the weight), but there has to be some payoff(s).

For me, there are multiple things.
1) Being overweight keeps me at a safe distance (literally and figuratively) from other people.

2) I'm scared of success because there is so much riding on this. So many times I think about how much better my life would be if I could only lose this weight. What happens if I lose this weight and things are better? What if I find out I'm unhappy for other reasons? Once I stop having losing weight as a main focus of my life, what else will I have to look at?

3) I have a problem believing I *deserve* to be happy and therefore don't feel like I *deserve* to lose weight. This one is so tough for me because intellectually, I don't believe that, but I know on a deeper level I do.

Most of the above I had been aware of for years and years.

Something that came up later was the feeling that I'd be "abandoning" other people close to me that also struggle with their weight. I had commiserated for years with my mother and mother-in-law and many friends about losing weight. We had tried different diets together, gotten excited about working out together, and been miserable at times together. What happened if I left them behind in the overweight world and switched teams to the think world?

These are just my experiences, hopefully it's given you some (sorry, bad pun) food for thought!

Good luck and it's nice to see you back here.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #117  

Kim

Wow. Your thoughts ring true with me. That is so helpful and yet so confusing! I can see that I really need to work on this. Maybe losing the weight that I have has begun to peel away the layers protecting me from these thoughts. I wish Beck discussed this in her book!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches - Did it: did a yoga class at my gym. CREDIT moi. Was obviously what I needed by the well know criteria that it hurt in so many places. The instructor was good - gave me personal pointers once when I was acting particularly clueless - and I spoke briefly with one of the men after class who has been coming regularly for two years. All good signs that it's a micro community. I got what I needed, primarily a group of people creating the social pressure to stick to the poses for the whole hour and to continue to push. Hope that I can work this into a regular schedule.

Had to laugh when the instructor said "Not many heads touching the floor." Well, I could see the floor - touching was a long way to go.

So two eating occasions as part of the celebration season. Met my own expectations at the first - simply had no birthday cake. CREDIT moi. Only did OK at the second. Same old same old at a stand up, tiny plates meant for continuous nibbling at appetizers. Inserted many raw veggies and fruit, but still a bit much guacamole. Another birthday cake skipped but had two bites of a killer pecan pie. Oh Well.

onebyone - Kudos for getting the sleep that can help you gain access to your brain. LOL at "Pavlov's dog" having a bite of cheese on the fly.

Don't tell me that the Canadian government is populated by politicians cause you'll dent my positive prejudice. Or you'd get me started on my positive prejudices about the Canadian health care system that has faced the issues that we just ignore here in the US.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for lemon juice. Yay for veggies. I understand the notion of "trigger issues with bacon." Bacon is one of those foods for which I immediately think of a plate of bacon, not a slice.

shrinkin - Big Kudos for your stellar performance at your work party, particularly for sitting down each time you ate. My particular admiration since I just did only OK at a similar situation. A separate Kudos for stopping a one chocolate covered strawberry. Good job.

angelmoma210 - Waving. Sending positive thoughts.

freer - Kudos for one day on plan last week - it's good to hang in there even when the pull is to let it all go. Congrats on the weight drop. There's a "persist in victory" crowd around here, although I think it might be led by Jeanie (kuhljeanie) who's off for two weeks vacation. It seems to happen regularly that approaching our goals exposes us bundles of Sabotaging Thoughts.

My best suggestion is to get back to daily reading of your Advantages Card if you're not regularly doing that. Or more often if that's what's needed. Another thought is to identify the time of day of the off-plan eating and schedule some activity then. Are you still doing Jazzercize? (Presumably the second graders are still forcing you to do Teachercize, LOL.)

And Kudos for posting here. Posting is particularly difficult when off-plan - just when it's most useful. Hope you come back, particularly until the persist it victory crowd gets a chance to pipe in.

Sending you supportive thoughts for one day on-plan. Good luck.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Big thanks for your push that helped me to actually get to my first yoga class in years. LOL at the typo, "handstand." It's headstand that I used to do. Laughing because I have the image of myself as a person who could never do a handstand. Have been jealous all my life at the girls who could do cartwheels which are also beyond me.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for focusing on your thinking about the third cookie, even when the calories weren't that much. Ouch for the Sabotaging Thought, "it's small so one more won't hurt."

Kim (bennyhannahmama) - Yay for "thinking like a thin person." Boy if that's not hitting the goal directly. And Yay for the good stuff happening in your life.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
I have no willpower.
... "
Beck, pg 193.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #119  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Monday am

Brief update, will try for personals later...

Yesterday did not overeat, but foods not easy to calculate calories. Had left over Chinese for lunch. Not so great for choice, but had very modest portion. DH made chili for dinner. Had planned to have only ONE SMALL bowl, but I was hungry and ended up with ONE AND A HALF. Oh well and CREDIT MOI for not filling the second bowl.

Made it to the pool and got in about 30 min of reasonable work out. for how far back I've slid in strength, but for finding the energy to get over the inertia. Must say that the exercise felt good. CREDIT MOI for just saying yes.

Had flat tire at the Y... because I have been needing tires and have not attended to it. New tires is now on the job list for the week along with finding a washer and dryer. Seems the to-dos are piling on faster than I can check them off. Work still pounding with past due items.

More later, I hope!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #120  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

Bill~ Oh!!! Canadian health care vs. American health care system!!! Dont get me started!! OMG!! Stuff is running thru my head and I know I shouldnt post it So I wont Talk about a trigger issue to get Robin right riled up!

onebyone~ I just have to tell you again how much I miss canadian tire!! I was talking to my mom last night and seems 3/4 of our christmas presents came from canadian tire. All stuff that I havent been able to find here (metal auto-shutoff kettel) etc. Great job in getting more sleep!! Feels good doesnt it?!! Im glad your feeling more like yourself.

freer~ I have this same issue. Seems it doesnt take as much weightloss as it used to. It almost seems like once I start loosing more weight, I probably shouldnt get on the scale. I have a few thoughts on this...

1~ I dont deserve this.
2~ my fat is a safe buffer from unwanted attention from the opposite sex
3~ I think, I look good at this weight....so its ok now to eat what I shouldnt.

Im sure there are some weird psych issues involved in all this.....but as a good patient I will choose to ignore them Anyway, Im hoping when I get to this road block that the Beck teachings will help me past this funky point.

Kim & shrinkin~

Got about a mile walk in yesterday, and food was 100%, water was lacking but I'll make up for it today.

Have a great day everyone!!

Last edited by RobinW; 12-15-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Closed Thread