Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #211  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The leftovers are being consumed. The mess from opening presents is getting under control; CREDIT DW. I cooked a mess of red beans in New Orleans style in the crock pot. They turned out well. Half will serve as lunches for next week and half got frozen for a future week. CREDIT moi for working in advance for on-plan eating. That's the big thing Beck has taught me; it's gonna be hard work, but the payoff is when I do the hard work in advance rather than the hard work of white-knuckling it when confronted with the need to eat and trying to choose from low value options.

Planned the seed purchases for next summer's vegetable garden. CREDIT moi. It'll be my first. DW has always done it and is lending me the garden for a year to see if I like it. Good grief, do you have any idea how many kinds of tomatoes there are to choose from? That leeks take 100 days to produce? That when your patch is adjacent to others in a community garden you have to be aware that their stuff might well fertilize yours making your cukes taste odd if they have aggressive squash? Seems like you shouldn't take up gardening unless you've done it all your life.

Read further in The Complete Beck Diet for Life. CREDIT moi. CBDL does a more convincing job of recognizing that making the transition to a healthy liffestyle using the Beck strategies takes a bunch of time. Eventually the strategies become habits taking little extra time. But, initially, it's a big effort and CBDL emphasizes that you gotta plan for that and make the time by deleting something else. I like that - felt that BDS glossed over the time commitment with reference, by example, that meal planing only takes a couple of minutes. Eventually, yes, but initially its big.

maryblu - Admiring your expertise in the proper Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios. You sent me off to review my Krebs Cycle stuff. Remembering fondly that I breathe Oxygen to take away some Hydrogen to make respiration possible. I do so admire that plants perform the same basic biological functions that we do. Every minute of the day. And they do it without a brain. It's all just boggling to me.

Neat that your DS knows you well enough to give you You Being Beautiful. Hope you enjoy it. And hope you find the path to keep doing your Beck stuff.

And, if it's not asking too much, in your spare time, would you kindly choose one senator or the other and be done with it. Ya don't get a vote if you don't have a senator, LOL. That election count is another thing that boggles my mind. It simultaneously reminds me how robust and how fragile our electoral process is.

Jean (Kuhljeanie) - Waving. Hoping that you mentally make it all home as well.

onebyone - Yep, I remember "Morning Sunshine" yellow as well as "Bermuda Cocktail blue." Kudos for preparing your Environment. The new Beck book makes a clean kitchen one of the first tasks - sorta like a bit of flylady dot com creeps into Beck. Can't wait to hear how your split pea soup made with a ham bone turns out.

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch for a rough day, and Ouch for the discovery that sugar was in the sauce and salad dressing. Kudos for having a DH who will tell you that you're cranky.

Thanks for the additional insights into your sugar blues. Sugar's impact on you is pretty sobering. Gotta believe that the impact on all of us is similar, even if somewhat less.

Anne (wndranne) - Thanks for continuing the summary of The Complete Beck Diet for Life (CBDL).

Kudos for all the work on the Stage I Experiments, and, writing with a absolute straight face, BIG Kudos for giving yourself CREDIT for giving yourself CREDIT. That CREDIT business is a weak spot for me, so it's neat to see you facing it directly.

freer - Yah that the holiday food fog is lifting; Kudos for the second day on-plan.

Interesting comment that you know what to eat, it's the mental stuff that you want from Beck. I feel the same way. There's lots of good light cookbooks available. I would guess that the buyers who find their way to Beck's book would also be among the too-many-cookbooks crowd. But her book is best I know describing Cognitive Therapy - CT (nee Cognitive Behavior Therapy - CBT) strategies for staying on-plan with eating and exercise.

And thanks for the kind endorsement for Secretary of the Exterior. No doubt that three years ago I was qualified for Secretary of the Posterior, LOL.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
I'll end up eating it eventually.
... "
Beck Diet Solution, pg 193.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #212  

Height: 5'7

Hi coaches,

Just stopping by briefly to say that the holidays have been a feast and I feel like crap! ;o(

Hoping to de-tox today......water, water, water and veggies to get back to feeling good. I need to keep learning this lesson til I get it....my body hates sugar, white flour and ground meat! Just hates it!

I am hoping to get back on plan today....it usually takes 3 days of good eating to de-tox....by Wednesday I shall be feeling better, hopefully! Til then bloated, swollen, sluggish and miserable! I'll get this....I really will!

Andrea aka thinkerbell
Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #213  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Im feeling better today. Only thought about dd's chocolate once more after my post yesterday. Kudos for me!

Bill~ Kudos for getting your pot of beans cooked up for the week!! Dontcha just love being able to go into the fridge and grabbing your pre-made lunches?!! I sure do.

thinkerbell~ for your sugar/white flour issues. You can do it!

onebyone~ splitpea soup Ive only ever made for my husband...and I havent a clue how it tastes I cant get past the smell Kudos for getting a big pot made!!

As for me, Ive been eating alot of fatty meals to help keep the sugar cravings at bay. So last night I made a big pot of cream of celery soup. Who would have thought Id get a hankering for cream of celery soup?? Not me! There was a problem tho....trying to find a recipe without flour added as a thickener. So I pulled out a couple recipes one of them being a greek lemon soup that uses eggs as thickeners!! Voila...I have a nice creamy celery soup with no flour and lot of protein

Have a great sunday everyone!!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 250/234/150

Hi all. I've struggled through this holiday season, which gives me the opportunity to do something I've never been successful at before -- getting back on track after regaining some (10-15?) but not all of my lost weight.

I got the new book too. I've browsed a bit, but haven't really read it yet. I like the idea of a daily checklist, and I think I'll make one for myself on a spreadsheet. As w/BDS, I'll try to get concepts and approaches that work for me, using the material in the book. Hopefully, I won't get too caught up in my tendency to resist the parts that are just too prescriptive for my taste...I mean, it's not really helpful for me to be told exactly what card size to use for my responses....

I'm also not sure what to do about her diet plan, since I have a "diet" that works for me...I know that's the case for many of us.

Anyway, I'll be interested in continuing to read everyone's reaction to the new book.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

quick thoughts on the time commitment for the new CBDL..from what our team has been saying, there is more acknowledgment of the time it takes to plan and be successful in the new program.

One of my mentors used to say, "there is only one way to search for a job, and that is frantically". All-in. The same applies to how much one has to change one's life and focus on a whole new approach and make a full-out commitment to be successful.

Everything I read about those who are successful is that it is an all-out, more important than anything effort. It is. The neat thing about Beck is she gives you stuff to fill up the time/effort with useful tools. Do this, then that. Rote.

I can find that thread in every "diet" or life style, or health book I have ever read. The Zone. After you buy into the 40-30-30 and Omega 3s as the #1 way to be your healthiest best, in "the zone", then you are willing to spend the time and effort to make sure you eat that way.

Beck has you convince yourself of the benefits..ARCs..and then create your own coping plan. Again thinking about how much of those strategies are in the You books; I think Beck does the best job of laying it out step by step.

I am going to get the new book..was pretty sure I would not, because I so believe in TBDS, but CBDL might be the kick start I need.

On another note, I swear I see the days getting longer already! Prolly because we have had two sunny days in a row, but still.....

BillBE, we are far from having a senator. We still don't know which one is going to sue! The gov. could appoint an interim, but the senate could chose not to seat him/her. This is/was a tie. I wish (for the first time ever) that we could be like GA and just have a run-off.

Am so excited for you that you are entering the gardening adventure. It does help me pass many a long winter evening plotting and scheming and designing...of course my fantasy catalog is Spring Hill Nursery online..it's all about the flowers and ornamentals with me. The edible realm is SO's domain.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #216  

HI there friends! Remember me? It is Heidi...I am now "landlady6"...a little more anonymous-I manage a couple of my dad's properties so am a landlady of sorts...you can just call me Heidi though.

I wrote a whole diddy the other night and am quite sure that I posted it but it didn't stick... So I am trying to recreate my wise words from 2 nights ago. Sort of symbolic of what I have to say about Beck/being on plan, etc..really.

The wagon is sooo far ahead of me...I am crawling. It is so hard to have this be the case AGAIN. Bill-I have to ask you what advice you have for hopping back up...what made you REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME?

Santa brought us the Wii along with Wiifit for me. I LOVE the WIi and my body is sore from doing the activities. It is a hoot and a good workout. I am sure that I am using muscles that I don't usually use. Brilliant for it to focus on balance and the core muscles...you stand on the balance board and the program reads your weight (makes your tummy pop out of your Mii on the screen if appropriate...) and gives you activities to do. The more activity you do, the more other activities it unlocks for you to do. I have been hula hooping, running, skiing, ski jumping...haven't delved into strength training or yoga yet...they really do get you moving. So that feels fun and motivating.

I have the new book and have not cracked it open yet. I am lapping up everyone's words here..it is motivating and inspiring and I need to figure out how to get myself back into taking good care of myself. For those that know me may remember that I tend to be a black and white thinker. Time to practice giving myself credit for the exercise that I have been doing with the Wii and running around in the snow with dd and doggies....trying to be gentle with myself and try to remember that this is my life and not a plan that I am ON or OFF.

Good to read your words again everyone...I am here and look forward to reading the beginning of the new book today.

Pushing "post" with fingers crossed...Heidi
Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #217  

Just ordered Brain Rules from Amazon! THANKS for the rec Anne! Probably will also get Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain ..... I am addicted to books... finding the time to read them all... well..gotta go!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #218  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Another good day for me. Today is the 3rd day under 2000 calories. And I have an apple left in my snack box if I need it.

I sort of inadvertently did Experiment 5 of Success Skill 6: Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating. My parents left a bag of homemade cookies and chocolates (including the dreaded peanut butter cups) on the counter. Took about 10 minutes for the craving to go away (this is probably why my 15 minute rule works so well). The craving got reactivated every time I walked by, but I sort of stopped looking at it somehow. I'm in denial that the things are in my house. Yet I'm writing about that. Perhaps I should invest in some real therapy. Experiment 6 is still to go, awaiting my next lousy feeling.

I walked a couple of miles with my mother today, and that was very nice. Good food choices, read my cards, made some new ones.

I read through Success Skill 7, planning and monitoring food, and as in BDS, had no issues with monitoring, but wasn't so happy about planning. I just did it. Plan for tomorrow is made, with full knowledge that I have to be flexible with my parents here, but such is life.

Success Skill 8 is Follow Your Plan, No Matter What, and has a list of 11 resistance techniques that will sound very familiar to BDSers.
  • 1: NO CHOICE
  • 2: Oh Well
  • 3: Dispute your "I don't care" voice
  • 4: Quell your "adolescent rebellion" (the I don't want tos)
  • 5: Read all of your Response Cards
  • 6: Drink water or another low-calorie beverage
  • 7: Meditate, pray, or relax
  • 8: Read your Advantages Deck (the new ARC)
  • 9: Do a negative fast-forward (what happens if you give in)
  • 10: Do a positive fast-forward (what happens if you resist)
  • 11: Distract yourself

And finally, Success Skill 9, Get Back on Track Right Away. Instead of a Get Back on Track Response Card, this time around the card is a Cheat Sheet, which helps you problem solve the situation that led to the lapse.

I made some new Response Cards today, some of which I like very much, read my ARC, did my exercise, stuck to plan, and generally had a great day. Oh yeah, lots of credits all around here.

So now my to do list for Stage 1 is nearly complete. I have to get some blank business cards and make an Advantages Deck out of my ARC; who knows, I might be more likely to read it. I also have to do Experiment 6 of Skill 6.

Then I just have to keep practicing the skills until I get 7 good days under my belt and I'll go on to Stage 2, the diet.

For the record, I only swung through Stage 1 so fast because I did BDS so recently, and still feel like I have lots of practice to do. I really feel excited about being on track though. Weight was down another 0.4 lbs today, within my fluctuation zone, but moving in the right direction.

Back with personals...post monster got me last night.

Anne
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #219  

maryblu I think we were separated at birth. I hate when I get stuck not doing something. I don't have any deep wisdom for jump-starting things. It seems like I do things when I'm ready to do them. Small steps sometimes work. Pick one thing.

Hope the CBDL gives you the start you need. Also glad to hear you notice the daylight creeping back in--funny how that helps.

Bill Your descriptions of your meals always sounds so yummy and healthy at the same time. That gardening thing sounds way too complicated. I accidentally started growing basil recently. I have a black thumb so this is a weird thing.

Andrea Hope the detoxing is going well.

RobinW LOL on your celery-egg soup! Hope it is tasty.

barpos Congrats on getting back on track before you regained more. That is a huge step to recognize what is going on and correct it.

Heidi Welcome back, and glad you survived the post monster on your second go round. Sounds like you are having fun and getting a good workout with the Wii fit. Double credits. Also credits for recognizing that this is your life and not a plan--that is the key to long term success. Crack the book. It's good!

hbuchwald Hope you like Brain Rules!

See you all tomorrow! Wishing you all a good on-plan night.

Anne
Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #220  

Whoops...posted using old account.. not so anonymous am I? I had a gift card and ordered the other book too...off to open new Beck-I am excited to dig in!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #221  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Wandered off-plan out of a bowl of candied pecans. And once my hand was in the bowl, it took a lot of pecans before I got back under control. Oh Well.

But I was moved to try, in my head, the recovery technique in Beck's new book. I only got as far as to ask what I was feeling, and discovered a huge resentment because I was getting stuck with a chore that someone else was taking credit for. Yep, resentment is a strong enough emotion to block all attempts to get back on track. With a little distance, I can see that the person who stole the credit didn't really mean to do that; that the chore wasn't that onerous; and that I've done that chore many times without getting credit anyway. It's a BIG insight for me that going off-plan in a place that's usually easy might be caused by a BIG emotion. Duh!! Am I really that new here, LOL. CREDIT moi for using that portion of using the new technique. I may try to finish the task later.

Did get a walk with DW in the warm afternoon - a joyful use of unseasonably warm weather. CREDIT moi.

maryblu - Yep, "frantically" is the way to go. For me the intensity has been required to get it into my brain that I'm making a major change, not just a little adjustment, like turning the thermostat down a few degrees at night.

LOL at your "plotting and scheming and designing" of your gardens. Speaking of fantasies, after an hour or so trying to down select from my favorite 200 choices to a set to fill 144 square feet, I was strongly drawn to a cookbook in the seed catalog, titled something like Preparing the Harvest. Now talk about projecting, LOL. From looking at a seed catalog I feel the need for a new cookbook to handle all the vegetables. Boy, am I easily manipulated by those guys.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Waving. Do you still have that BIG WAGON - big enough for a bunch of folks to climb aboard? There's a lot of wagon-climbing-on at the moment.

Heidi (landlady6) - WOO HOO - Is it ever good to hear from you!!! So good to hear that you and DD are thriving, with Wii and WiiFit to boot. You make it sound so much fun that, for the first time, I have to think about owning one. I've never done inside exercise outside of the gym, but your joyful description of WiiFit calls to me. (LOL at the memory of reading Inside Outside Upside Down about a zillion times.)

Re "REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME?": Wish I had some wisdom there. I do the obvious stuff, but no longer feel that I know that I'll keep on track. I grab onto pieces of wisdom, like your "this is my life and not a plan that I am ON or OFF" and read them frequently. The single thing I note from the long time maintainers is that they doggedly work to get back on the wagon. But even that thought seems circular to me, as if saying that the people who aren't off the wagon for long are those who get back on quickly. My take is that you are doing exactly the right thing for Heidi - working the strategies and going public about getting back on the wagon so that you can gather the support from the folks on this thread. I'll continue to think about your question. Maybe Anne (wndranne), who just recently celebrated six years, has some thoughts here.

Anyway, it is really good to see you again.

Barbara (Barbpos) - Kudos for jumping into getting back on track. You've got good company on this thread; lots of wagons being climbed back upon.

As for the diet in Beck's new book: I'm pretty sure that she'll eventually state that you modify the diet plan to fit your private recipes, so I plan to do that. I'll consider her diet plan to be a starter for those beginning from scratch. Since you've got a plan that you've used for some serious weight loss, it would seem to me wise that you continue with it.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for digging until you found the non-flour thickener for cream of celery soup. LOL at the thought of a high protein cream of celery soup - gotta admit, I've never craved it. Glad you're recovering from your sugar experience. It continues to amaze me how powerful sugar can be.

Anne (wndranne) - There's got to be a story behind "I accidentally started growing basil recently." Like I know how I accidentally starting growing mold in my fridge - is it similar? LOL.

Someone who is "in denial that the things are in my house" doesn't need to "invest in some real therapy," but should write a book telling the rest of us how to do that. Seems that one big part of Beck's books is to teach us how to live our lives away from the constant awareness of off-plan foods that surround us. And you've added denial as a weapon in the arsenal. Sounds good to me.

Continue to appreciate your reviews of the new Beck book as you go forward.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Ouch for the feast; Ouch for feeling like carp. Kudos for a plan to immediately get back on track. Cheering for you from here.

hbuckwald -
Quote:
Yesterday upon the stair,
I saw a man who wasn't there ...
For those who missed the laugh, this ID didn't mean to post. It is to be ignored.

Readers -
"Common Thinking Errors:

Thinking Mistake #1: All or Nothing Thinking
Thinking Mistake #2: Negative Fortune Telling
Thinking Mistake #3: Overly Positive Fortune Telling
Thinking Mistake #4: Emotional Reasoning
Thinking Mistake #5: Mind Reading
Thinking Mistake #6: Self-Deluding Thinking
Thinking Mistake #7: Unhelpful Rules
Thinking Mistake #8: Justification
Thinking Mistake #9: Exaggerated Thinking
" Beck Diet Solution, pg 195.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #222  

Dear Coaches,

Just stopping by so I totally don't fall off the wagon....yesterday was a day on plan until the cookie moster came out of hiding....ooops! but my meals were on plan and water and vitmains on plan plus some plan c exercise. Feeling a little better...........but still have the after effects of a food coma....eeeek.........truly am getting that its not a quanity issue but a quality issue.....kinda makes me feel sad, as I realize that my Christmas must change next year....food is so identified with my Christmas celebrations......need to start some new and healthy traditions.....got a year to figure it out.

More water and veggies and exercise today.....getting back on track, slowly.

Andrea aka thinkerbell
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #223  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Bill~ Big Kudos for recognizing an emotion that could have derailed you!! Im still always amazed at how our brain works....then the light goes on and we realized what we have been thinking.

thinkerbell~ toss the cookies or hide them. I can't have anything in the house when Im trying to get my cravings under control. My dd's xmas chocolate barely made it You'll do alright, read your cards and just get thru today....worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Anne~ my celery soup was very very tastey! Certainly hit the spot yesterday at lunch time. Yah for the scale moving in the right direction

We had really high winds here yesterday. Lots of power outages, uprooted trees, even some roofing has gone missing from some buildings. I spent most of the day inside.

Food was 100% yesterday. Thankfully!! I managed without any issues. I am truly thankful for that!

Water is lacking as is exercise. But I should be able to get all that back on track today.

Send healing thoughts to my hubby please....he's coming down with some sort of bug I really really dont like it when he is sick!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 12-29-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #224  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
There's got to be a story behind "I accidentally started growing basil recently." Like I know how I accidentally starting growing mold in my fridge - is it similar? LOL.

Someone who is "in denial that the things are in my house" doesn't need to "invest in some real therapy," but should write a book telling the rest of us how to do that. Seems that one big part of Beck's books is to teach us how to live our lives away from the constant awareness of off-plan foods that surround us. And you've added denial as a weapon in the arsenal. Sounds good to me.
The basil story is pretty boring. I got a basil plant instead of fresh cuttings at the grocery store, thinking it would last me two uses instead of one and pay for itself. So MIL came and repotted the thing and it's still going strong, if looking a little worse for wear in my house.

To show you how my mind works, the denial thing is a technique I picked up from my dog. When she was a puppy, she would come to the full length mirror and bark like crazy at the "other" dog there. As she got a bit older, she began to notice that the other dog just wasn't acting right, doing exactly what she did instead of responding and interacting, and probably also had no smell. So she quit looking in the mirror, very obviously turning her head away if it happened to be in the line of sight. I did catch her peeking once in a while, but that other dog was just always too weird, or perhaps challenging, for her. We lost the dog a year ago. She had a long good life, but I still miss her.

I think your examination of the candy coated pecans incident was wonderful.

I'll be back for everyone tonight, but I had a minute and the dog story got me...

Anne
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #225  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Red face OP today DAY 1 of 8 week program

Good Morning Coaches

Well I just had the first meal of my foodplan and I am off and running. 8 week plan begun today. I am doing a modified re-start, kinder and gentler to me than the drastic re-start I could have done. I had some issues and my instincts were telling me not to go to the harsh start and so I won't. It is enough to be back on a plan. Enough!

My biggest hurdle is this stupid on-going transit strike. Ugh. There is no resolution in sight and our mayer wants to force the transit union to vote onthe proposal he put in fornt of them and the union management say no, they won't being it to the union for a vote and so the mayor has asked the federal transportation minister to force a vote, which they can do, and the union says they will go to court to prevent a forced vote.
Hello?
I have no real grocery store around here. There are department stores and a drugstore and they all stock food stuffs but no real fruit or veggies. I find it all just really irritating. BUT I can cope. I don't like being stuck in my neighbourhood either BUT I am at least lucky in that there is woman who works at the school full time who is willing to give me a ride to the school Mon-Fri for the duration of the strike. The catch is I have to be at school from 8-5, even if my classes are only 3 hrs in the morning or the afternoon. Big Drag. BUT am still lucky to be able to get back and forth. Bet many others are not so lucky at all
Okay enough complaining.
Makes me want to buy a car and then makes me feel BAD that at age 45 I cannot afford a car. *sigh* can't afford taxis either which is why I am not going to the grocery stores with the fruits and veggies... *sigh*
Whatever.
No more complaining. Really.

I'll check in later...

PS. I was on this site and it seemed kind of helpful in terms of what would be good food choices to definitely make sure I got http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28301841/

Last edited by onebyone; 12-29-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Closed Thread