Old 07-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

I didn't do all that great yesterday--only got in 5200 steps or so. Today is still young, though I won't be making up for yesterday.

You haven't gotten yourself confused. The authors of this book confused you. On page 70, under item 6 about keeping Megasteps constant as you lose weight: "...to do this, you will increase your Lifesteps to compensate for the expected drop in your Bodysteps, because of the drop in your metabolism as you lose weight" isn't right based on info I picked up later in the book. I think whoever wrote that statement is the one who is really confused. Your metabolism does drop, but your Bodysteps go up because of how Bodysteps have been defined. This is something that should have be clarified at the beginning.

Check out page 114, item 3 for the following:
The BodyStep quantity is your resting metabolism rate X the number of steps you need to take to burn 1 calorie. You only need to take 18 or so and I have to take 27. So your resting metabolism is (assuming you are in your early 20s) is 31,303/18=1739. Mine, since I am older and weigh less is 32,246/27=1194.

This section shows you how to re-calculate your Megasteps after losing some weight. What I don't understand, is why you can't just find your new Bodystep quantity directly from Appendix B based on your new weight instead of going through all the math. The example on pages 114-115 calculates Val's new Bodysteps at 33,682. Appendix B's value is 34,140 (5'4", 165 pounds, age 25). So there is a discrepancy, but it only amounts to 20 calories a day, figured at 22 steps per calorie.

Weight training is a great thing for increasing basal metabolism. My energy expenditure (Bodysteps + Lifesteps) is supposed to be 1679 calories or so. Since I can lose close to 2 pounds a month if I am strict about keeping my calories 1550-1600 and getting at least 10,000 steps a day, my actual caloric expenditure is probably around 200 calories more. This would be unexpected for a woman my age in the authors' tables and I figure it is the muscle from my weight training.

We are leaving tomorrow for our trip to Eastern Nevada, so I won't be able to post for 10 days after logging my steps tonight. I am taking my pedometer. We will be doing a lot of dayhiking and I hope to make up the steps from yesterday and the ones I won't be getting while on the road.

It will be great getting away from the smoke for a while. The air is bad again; this situation is supposed to last until the end of the month. Most of the fires are only 50% contained and will continue to burn for a while after 100% containment.

Don't get discouraged. It takes a while to get a new routine worked out. It doesn't help to beat yourself up if you don't get in all your steps on a given day.

Last edited by CatR; 07-15-2008 at 12:32 AM.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #17  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

I'm running late, so I can't write much. Thanks for the help on the book and MOST OF ALL --

HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP and LOG THOSE STEPS!

sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

wow, this thread definitely got my interest! I just ordered the book off of amazon! I can't wait until it arrives, sounds like something that is a simple as walking more and eating 25% less? I can do that! you have any advice for me while I wait on the book? I'm gonna buy a pedometer tonight as well! what should be my initial daily goal?
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #19  
Uggg... I goofed again.

Smile

Hi spryng and WELCOME!

The book requires that you track your daily steps for a week without making any changes so that you know where you are "at" (average the 7 days). I would recommend that you track your daily steps and then just wait on the book. The book comes with a pedometer, though I bought my own (I love the Omron). I wouldn't set a daily goal until you know where you start. Then you are supposed to add 2000 steps per day to your first week (no changes) average. After wards, you officially start a 12 week program adding 500 steps per week.

I might not have explained this well enough, so just ask if I have confused you! I'm so glad that you are here!

Sassy
Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #20  

No that makes perfect sense actually! I don't think my book is coming with a pedometer becuase I bought it used off of amazon but I don't mind buying one, I'll just have to wait until friday and then I'll track my steps I'm so excited. I told my dh about it and he too wants a pedometer as well. He's an otr truck driver so if he can work on walking a few steps a day more then he'll lose weight easier as well so it's a win win for us, I'm soo glad I found this thread!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #21  
Uggg... I goofed again.

Cool

I'm glad I made some sort of sense!

I wanted my DH to do it with me too, though it seems he doesn't wanna. Darn. He's tall and thin anyway. He'd probably just get all buff-n-stuff and make me jealous. LOL! I am so glad your husband is going to do it with you. I bet it'll end up being fun for both of you.

I have a friend, Lori, and we've been lifetime "team dieters". We've lost and gained... together. She goes up, I go up. I go down, she goes down. She brought her kids over to my house one day when I was gone (to swim) and I called her and said to go in the house and get this book. Now she's hooked! She won't admit that she is following the book, but I know she is. Sneaky woman! She's really competitive (I'm maybe a little on occasion). She says "I'm not watching the scale", but I know she's just not wanting to admit that she hasn't caught up with me yet. I call her everyday at lunchtime. She used to be in the cafeteria, but recently she's been "going for a nice walk to get out". Sheesh! I love it. She keeps me on my toes. I just have to laugh at her. No wonder we make such a good team, she brings out the competitiveness I didn't know I had.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #22  
Uggg... I goofed again.

I am doing well and getting my steps. I can't wait until CatR comes back, I wanna hear about her trip!

Hey spryng, how are you doing?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #23  

ok so I got a pedometer today so excited to average my steps this next week but I have a question. I know from what I read that when you first get your pedometer and you count out so many steps (I did 50) and then double check the pedometer and it's 10 steps within that number that is considered accurate right? ok but I have worries, just as I was clipping it on it read a couple steps so I reset it before I actually began to walk, but what about while driving? will the jostling of a vehicle make it count steps? I'm worried that my number may be really inaccurate because of changing positions in my chair at work or driving, how do you keep those things from messing your steps up?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #24  

oh sorry sassy, I meant to get more personal, lol..
I think it's great you have a friend who is secretly doing the plan also, lol.. whatever motivates is great!
I am still waiting on my book, hoping it's in monday but I got my pedometer as I already mentioned so this next week I'll just be doing my normal stuff to average my steps for a week
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #25  
Uggg... I goofed again.

I haven't done so well the last 2 days. I ate like CRAZY yesterday, which is OK, but it makes me feel yucky. I don't eat pizza often, but I ate it yesterday and I feel over-full. I didn't get my steps, but there is still hope for the week. My hubby said he wouldn't mind wearing a pedometer to see how many steps he averages. He's heard me talk about it so often, I think I might have peaked a bit of curiosity. I could see him figuring out his average and then not wearing it anymore.

Spryng - I think that a lot of pedometers do that and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think that mine does it occasionally. I've never had the car ride affect it, but it might effect some. I tend to think that it happens everyday, so the average would still be the same. If you are increasing your steps, then you will still be walking more. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What pedometer do you have? I have the Omron and it's accurate. It sometimes adds steps too, but I have noticed that it takes a second to start logging some, so it plays catch-up sometimes.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #26  

yeah I'm starting to think the same, as long as I increase whatever average I get it shouldn't matter. the brands is a Walking Advantage Sportline. I couldn't find an omron which is what I wanted but that is ok, this one seems pretty accurate so far
I was hoping my book would be in today!! but its not, hopefully tomorrow
Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #27  
Uggg... I goofed again.

YEAH! I'm so glad to have another person doing this and happy that you got a pedometer! I hope your book comes soon. I've read a great deal of it, but I still find it helpful to go back through. It's a pretty easy read.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Sassybiscuit I am back a few days early because our truck developed a problem and it was prudent to get back home. But we had a wonderful time. We saw a lot of wildflowers on our hikes. No problem getting my steps in when there are beautiful places to walk

The weather got a bit wild yesterday when we were getting close to home. Nevada got an influx of moisture from the Arizona monsoon and severe thunderstorm cells kept popping up. We were listening to the radio and the programming was continuously interrupted by warnings which included tornado watches and advice on what to do in the event of a tornado. In Nevada! One funnel was spotted (not by us), but it never touched ground. We only directly encountered one cell --really heavy rain, but no hail thank goodness. We were either ahead or behind the others.

I am glad you found us, Spryng. The Step Diet is a sensible approach to lifetime weight management.

I am stepping OK, but it's time to concentrate on the food part.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #29  
Uggg... I goofed again.

WHOO-HOO! I'm glad you're back and had a pretty good time. I need to focus on food too, I had a binge day on Sunday. The first one of the month, but still. I'm back on track now. Thank goodness!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 224.4/210/150

hey! how are teh steps going sassy?
i have done like 14000 so far i have only been up for a few hours though haha/
and as you know i cant do to much exercise right now, doctor rules.
and everyone tht i kno rules haha.

but i am going to make sure to do alot. tomorrow i have orientation at college so thts alot of walking so.. i will get all my steps in tomorrow.. woohoo
amyx33 is offline   Reply With Quote