Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Another thing about TOPS, that I wanted to mention. I've been a member of a couple different TOPS groups in the past. And while I did very, very well in one group (losing over 60 lbs), when I had to move away for a job, I didn't find a group I liked in my new area. My excuse was that the groups in my new area had no members my age.

This time, the group I'm in, also has very few members under 50. At 42, I'm nearly the youngest woman in the group. And my poor husband only has one other guy in the group to "bond" with. This has turned out to be a bigger barrier in my mind that in reality. I guess it really hit home, when someone in the group noticed and commented that one of the oldest women in the group had her ears "double piereced" and we were kidding her that she was so "hip" she should get a tattoo. It made me realize that there were a lot of women there who's "inner age" was the same as mine (in other words, maturity level of a 12 year old).
Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

Well I think you should run for Co-Leader of your group. Your reply to me was very inspirational and informative. I just checked on the meetings and there is actually one less than 1 mile from where I live. Great to know that you can follow any program that works for you, and I would stay on the LAWL.

Great response - I printed it and put it on my fridge.

Thanks so much
Roberta
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Thanks Roberta, that's very nice to hear. I have decided to run, and next Monday is voting, so I'll let you know if I won the election.

I have to say that I'm a super fan of the organization. It really is in most communities, but so many people don't think of it, or even know it exists, because it's a non-profit group and there is no national advertising (some groups put ads in their local papers occasionally). After losing more money than weight on pay-for-service plans (which worked, but I which I usually abandoned out of necessity when finances got tight), I'm really excited about TOPS.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #19  
Katy66

Just called the COD where I went to tell them I wanted to come by today and get the rest of my bars. Had "ordered" them last week and although I said I was going the other day to the get them, life got in the way. Anyway, their "New Spring Hours" are M-W-F from 9-7....they were a 6 day per week operation. No one there I would trust for a honest answer but certainly sounds to me as if closure is just around the corner.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #20  

I would recommend getting them now. My center is all out of stuff and everyone is scrambling. I am sure the recession is not helping them, but the bad press has been even worse. I would get my bars---and also ask them for the stabilization and maintenance books. If they lock their doors, you will have no tools or resources to help you keep your weight off.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #21  

All this is so interesting and I am grateful for getting the information from members of this board although I really feel for the folks who have recently signed up and paid for weeks and product if their centers are closing. I am outraged that they can really get away with selling more KNOWING that they will be closing. The employees of those centers are victims too because they are caught in the same web of lies and are conducting business totally unaware of the hypocracy they are involved in. (OK - finished venting)

I am ending this post with telling you that last week when I went to my COD, I was offered an application for employment. HUH?????

Roberta
Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #22  

KATY--in North Carolina!!!

Your weight loss results are AWESOME!!!! Wow! You have done awesom with your 70+ pounds.

KUDOS to YOU!!!!

Rita in Memphis
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #23  

Think about it...Spring is when everyone want to lose weight...vacations, spring break, to be active....what sense would it make to reduce your hours for spring?? Christmas time, I could see them doing that, because no one diets during the holidays--but spring??
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #24  
Katy66

Thanks Rita! My losses have certainly slowed but I guess that it is to be expected as I get closer to my goal.

By the way, I haven't heard from the COD yet about picking up my bars. I will probably drop by this pm and get what I can.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #25  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by shshshhh View Post
All this is so interesting and I am grateful for getting the information from members of this board although I really feel for the folks who have recently signed up and paid for weeks and product if their centers are closing. I am outraged that they can really get away with selling more KNOWING that they will be closing. The employees of those centers are victims too because they are caught in the same web of lies and are conducting business totally unaware of the hypocracy they are involved in. (OK - finished venting)

I am ending this post with telling you that last week when I went to my COD, I was offered an application for employment. HUH?????

Roberta
This very exact devious behavior is why the Attorney General of PA has filed suit against PURE Weight Loss Centers.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #26  

Kelly

I am glad that the State Attorney General of some states have stepped up and filed lawsuits against the comanies/centers that are operating fraudulently. We work very hard for our money and to throw it away on something that we are so desperately needing is outrageous.

My COD today has not changed its hours but are having a huge sale on some of the products. I can't use them but noticed the sign. They also moved the large bookcases with the clients files from the front room behind the desk to a side room where they keep the products. Another change is that the key scanner where we used to use our keychain membership card to scan in is gone. There is now a sign in sheet and the counsellors were learning a new system on the computer. The center manager said they were having to "all go to the same system" so they had to abandon the one they had been using.

Roberta
Old 03-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #27  
Heather - East TN

S/C/G: 190.8/153.7/150.8

Height: 5' 7"

My LAWL here in East TN is franchise-owned and just got a new partner who infused a bunch of money into the franchise. I think they own 5 or 6 locations here locally. Supposedly the extra money will help them maintain better stock levels, etc. However, I too noticed the only take 2 boxes per week sign. I'd say the run on Lites after the PURE locations closing scare has corporate scrambling to manage inventory. My location is moving to a brand new facility within the month. Everyone seems very upbeat and positive. I can only hope that they will stay on their feet as I just convinced two girls at work to sign up during the big Leap Year special. And, I still have stabilization and maintenance to get through - that I've already paid for.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #28  
Alannah

S/C/G: 260/231/140

Height: 5'3"

It is so sad to see a good program like this suffering so badly. But I was one of the ones who did not add weeks as I was unsure with all the Pure stuff going on if the other centers would stay open. So I do my own thing but I come here for the support and because I've made friends here. I hate to see people being put in such a hard place.

Kaplods - I was a leader of TOPS before and the only reason I stopped going was when I moved (and had to rescind my leadership role) I could not go due to work conflicts. However, that has changed and I am planning on re-joining a group here likely in April or May. I hope you get your position you are after - it is tons of fun (and work - but fun work!!).
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #29  

Heather--

Watch out about that "moving to a new facility" comment...Have you actually seen the site and verified that they have started remodeling it? There are many websites where ripped off consumers said LAWL used that line, shut down the center and then told them they would have to drive
45+ miles away to the closest center to retain their membership.

I hate to sound "overly negative", but I have researched this company since this has happened it my community.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #30  
Back in the saddle!

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sad! I think Rita and I go to the same center. *sigh* I just called and asked hours, and they told me that starting next week they'll be closed on Tuesdays AND Thursdays.

When I asked if they are closing, she stumbled and said, "Well, I really have no idea. I don't THINK we are."

How depressing. I really have just gotten back into this, and have paid for 81 weeks! I guess when I next go in I'll have to start asking for things ... like my remaining bars, meal plans from here on out, my journals, etc.

What a bummer!
Closed Thread