Old 03-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Protein

Okay,

I am having issues getting my protein in everyday. I seem to do fine on carbs and to be honest, have a little too much fat in my diet (but that is changing as of now). I just did my fitday profile and am keeping track of foods that way. I was wondering if anyone else had issues getting protein in and what you did about it. I'm not a huge fan of beans or nuts, but if need be I can do! (this morning I had a piece of whole wheat fiber added toast with a tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter).

Anyone know of any foods that are protein-rich? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

Do you have any dietary limitations? I'm guessing you do or don't like meat that much... FF milk is pretty high in protein. Lots of dairy for that matter: yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese... You can mask things like yogurt and cottage cheese in smoothies and you won't notice they're there. You can also try protein powders to make smoothies. You can also add unflavored ones to baked goods to get the extra protein bump. Egg whites are pure protein. Whole grains also have proteins. Other things like soy, tofu (tvp burgers like boca or morningstar) they have quite tasty vegetarian options that are high in protein.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

oooh so many good ideas! and you're right..I don't like meat that much and moreover I don't know what to do with it. Like I cooked plain old chicken breasts and it was gross! no flavor...i didn't even think about protein powder!

Thanks poohbear!

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Boca burgers are quite good, as are morningstar breakfast sausage patties. High in protein, and not really meat LOL! Tasty, too.
Powdered egg whites are a great thing to add to stuff, such as smoothies, yogurt or any dish with a sauce (pasta) to bump up the protein.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

I like tofu a lot and you can mix it with pretty much anything to disguise it a bit if you're not too fond of the flavor, different seasonings, sauces and vegetables and things. I eat lowfat string cheese for snacks also.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm vegetarian, and my main sources of relatively low carb-to-protein are:

Fage 0% FF yogurt
Friendship 1% cottage cheese
Cabot 75% FF cheese (TONS of protein!)
Frigo LF mozzarella cheese sticks
Egg whites (scrambled and hard boiled)

On a weekday I am able to get around 40% protein / 150 grams. I'm bad on the weekends though and only get around 20% but I figure if I can stay under calories, it's a tradeoff.

There's also fat free feta, but I think it tastes vile.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote