Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #121  
sscott

I have a question about plans. My husband is doing this with me. He is just following the same plan I am following, but I am beginning to think that he might not be getting enough food. He says he is fine and doesn't feel hungry during the day, but i wanted to get your imputs. He is 6' tall and currently weighs 285 lbs. He is doing plan 3 with lites (3 pro., 4 veg., 3 fruit, 4 starch, 2 dairy, 2 fat). Does that sound alright?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

Dan thanks for the advice. I gotta try to change things up a bit more. I need to get some of that Nature's Own Double Fiber bread so that i can do 2 starches at once without it being too bad for me. That will help me get my starches in. I do have the light and fit yougurt and smoothie so i'll use more of that and try to cut down on the cheese. DH is not a big fan of pasta so i was surprised when he said to make pasta tonight but thats what we're having with some ground turkey and homemade tomoato sauce. Shouldnt be too bad and i bought some of the whole wheat pasta also. I'm going to let him know that we need to cut down on the starches at night, he wont be too happy but if it works then thats what we must do!
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #123  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie24 View Post

Question for all - what do you guys do for your dairy & fats? I have to have 2 dairy a day and i know having cheese everyday is just not good even tho its 2%. I try to have only 1oz = 1/2 dairy a day & get the rest of the diary in another way but i'm still curious. I also have a hard time with fat and eating nuts everyday is no good either. I'm planning to start counting the little oil i use when cooking as my fat, thats what i should be doing right?
Debbie,
I am a Dannon and lite and fit freak. I love the vanilla and 1 cup is 80 calories. Low fat yogurt is almost always my dairy. It is my number 1 weight loss food this time around. I team the yogurt up with a fruit and then fiber one cereal. I know that there are many others who do the same and love it. It is a wonderful snack. Uses up a fruit, dairy and a starch.

Even though I am from Wisconsin, I must be careful of cheese. I do use skim string cheese once in a while. I have just found that cheese is harder for my body to digest and slows my weight loss. I also use ff shredded cheese occasionally as a topping.
For my 2 fats, I use almonds. Love them too. They are so healthy for us.
Dan is right. Be careful of the rice everyday. What about a 1/2 sweet potato?

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 62.5 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs

Last edited by Lynx; 01-08-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #124  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie24 View Post
Dan thanks for the advice. I gotta try to change things up a bit more. I need to get some of that Nature's Own Double Fiber bread so that i can do 2 starches at once without it being too bad for me. That will help me get my starches in. I do have the light and fit yougurt and smoothie so i'll use more of that and try to cut down on the cheese. DH is not a big fan of pasta so i was surprised when he said to make pasta tonight but thats what we're having with some ground turkey and homemade tomoato sauce. Shouldnt be too bad and i bought some of the whole wheat pasta also. I'm going to let him know that we need to cut down on the starches at night, he wont be too happy but if it works then thats what we must do!
Hi Debbie again,
I think that your DH may be ok with the starches in the evening because as you know men lose easier than we do. You will just have to play it by ear with him.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 62.5 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #125  

sorry to double post.

Speaking of kids my 4yr old has been driving me nuts. Lots of loud noise and running around in the morning, it doesnt usually start until about 4pm or so. He's usually such a good kid but i think he's beginning to get bored. Today i started doing some worksheets with him just to keep him busy but i'm glad we finally got started, i dont want him being the dumbest kid in class when he starts voluntary preschool this year.

All the kid stories are making me LOL, my boys dont really talk back so no "you're not my mommy", or "i don't like you" stories yet but i'm sure i'll be hearing them soon.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #126  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #127  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
My 5 y/o DD had a horrible fit today because I would not let her sit in my bed and dip bread in blue cheese dressing for a snack. I know, what a big meanie I am.
Katie -- That reminds me of a question I wanted to ask. I was wondering if anyone here eats in bed? My mom ALWAYS has a snack in bed at night while she's reading her book. Usually it's either an apple or potato chips (what a difference between the two!) and it really struck me as odd at some point. I never let Cameron take food in the bedroom. Maybe because of my mom's habit, and maybe partly because I think if there are crumbs and such in there, then it might attract bugs?? I dunno. Just wondered if anyone else does this, or if anyone else is weird about it like i am?

Tuesday -- My pre TOM week has been killer lately. I blame it for a large portion of my weight gain since I left. I have had powerful cravings for chocolate-ish stuff, and indulged them. I just restarted after my last TOM, so I'll have a few weeks to get prepared for this months round.

Quote:
Tuesday... I feel your pain. I almost cry when I know TOM is on the way. Those weird impulses... Makes a good loss go to waste!
Or go to waist?

Kimberly -- Sorry! hee! couldn't resist a bad pun, hope nobody else made it first. What plan are you on now? Could it be time to move down a plan? Maybe if you post on the daily menu thread for a couple of days we could make some suggestions for changes? I stalled and plateaued at around -29lbs...could never quite make the 30lb loss mark, so I know how you feel.

Deb -- I find it easier to clean when my DH is out too. I wonder why that is?

Amy -- Thank you for the recommendation on the DVD -- I'll have to pick one up this weekend.

Tina -- Thanks for the feedback on the DVD too, that's great to know. I think our Walmart has them on sale. Your daughter is too funny, I love her marriage proposal. Sometimes I tell Cameron "When you were a teensy little baby, you live in Momma's belly," and he responds in a teeny cute voice "Yes! And when YOU were a little teensy baby you live in my belly too!" lol

Kristen -- I love the ball idea. Do your girls still take naps? I was thinking of asking Cameron's daycare to cut out his weekday naps. I've been skipping them (on quiet days) on the weekends and he goes to bed soooo much easier that way.

Debbie24 -- I do LF cheese or yogurt for dairy usually, although I do want to try to switch it up to skim milk now and then. I think the rule about starches is to try to have them around 5 hours before you go to bed..something like that. It totally depends on when your day starts/ends.

Nicole -- Boiled eggs? Yuck. Poor you. Just a few more hours and you can eat something totally yummy and on plan.

Kelly -- I just got a treadmill before Christmas, so I want to do some walking and then do some strength training or yoga using DVDs. Thanks for your thoughts on the dvd too!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #128  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

DBF and I are going to get an eliptical soon. Does anyone have one or have you used one you really liked over another? I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what I should be looking for when it's time to go shopping for one.

Thanks.
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Stacy, You teach 7th grade.... That seems so hard. My sister does substitute teaching and she was in an 8th grade class and misprounced some poor girl with the unfortunate name of Regina when she was calling role and the boys could not get over that for the rest of the class. My sister felt so bad to have caused that poor girl so much grief, as I don't think those boys are going to let that go until about 10th grade.

I am every day feeling a bit thinner and healthier.

Well, I know it is good advice and a good grain of truth that if you go with lighter choices you will have a lower calorie count and that may bring on lower weight losses... as long as you don't go into starvation mode. My body seems to LOVE to turn off the furnance. I've actually measured my temperature. Last time I tried the gold plan... 95 degrees. No wonder I felt so cold. I was cold. I was NOT burning very many calories. So of course I lost nothing. I just was starving and miserable and had no results... So if you are feeling cold and tired and have recently upped your exercise or cut your calories in some way... well you could just be shooting yourself in the foot. Now some people it takes a LOT to trigger that starvation response. For some unlucky souls it does not take much at all (I am in the group that it doesn't take much). I do think this has a lot to do with why I had trouble with diets in the past. The eating more often worked well since it helps to keep this metabolism turn off mechanism from triggering. So I was actually able to lose more than I had been in many years of suffering through another 1200 calorie a day diet that was so hard for me to stick to.

Anyway, if you have tried cutting lower and it did not work for you, try going a bit on the high side for a few days and see if that works for you. You have to find that sweet spot where your metabolism is burning the calories, but you still are eating few enough to lose. It is a very individual thing and can be a hard target to hit consistently.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #130  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

LOL Angie, nice one! It is definitely going to my waist! I actually just moved down to Plan 4 right before I stalled. Maybe I should go back up to 5?

I will do more personals later or tomorrow. I gotta go take a shower and get ready for my first class tonight.
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #131  

Lynn i will take yours and Dans advice and chance things a bit and see how it affects me. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #132  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBensMom View Post
Good Morning All...Wow it sure is hard to keep up, but great way to spend breaks at work!

Dan - We are planning a trip to Disney as well this year - in April...can't wait...I absolutely love it there and can't believe we haven't been there for so long. Last time I worked for the store and got great discounts, so now it will be back to reality!
Yeah, it sure takes a bite out of the wallet, that's for sure.. The nice thing is that by saving up for it, we're not putting any of the trip on credit. Last time we were there, I was sitting around the pool looking at other people and had to wonder how many of them had maxed out their cards just to be there..

Last time around, pre-diet, we just ate wherever we wanted.. This time has been interesting finding restaurants that have better choices.. What a hassle!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #133  
Katy66

Good afternoon........went to the MD over lunch and got absolutely no help! He told me it was viral and would take another 7-10 days to recover. Said the only thing that would help is steroids and he wasn't ready to give me any yet, which is okay by me since they make you retain water like crazy! Oh well I've suffered a week now so what is one more.

Nicole - I choked my eggs down this morning, have to get it over with or it will never happen

AmyLou - Guess my "intro" answered your question about how I'm feeling.

Oh and can't remember who said it but regarding TOM.... my DH is so quiet but I find myself always thinking "why the h*&# is he talking so much?"

Debbie24 - I love the WW pasta. For me it has such a better flavor.

Angie - No food in the bedrooms here and yes it does cause some issues with my DD. I will let her take a drink in there though.

Well better run and get to work. I'll check in later
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Angie, If you dropped down a plan and started working out at the same time, maybe you do need to go back up...

Laurie, I have an elliptical at home. It is a Nordic Track. We had some problems with it at first and had to have them bring a second new one to us, but it has been good since we got the second one. Many brands are actually made by the same company and they just put different names on them... The good thing about the elliptical is that it is lower impact. I had problems with my feet (ended up with a stress fracture) when I started on the tread mill. Now if I had not started trying to run when I was so heavy and past 40, perhaps that might not have happened, but it did and it was a major setback on my weight loss journey. Anyway, you can burn a TON of calories on the elliptical... and it does not seem so hard to do.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #135  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Hey,

I have a friend who sees the orthopedic surgeon for the Washington Redskins, and she said that he told her that the elliptical was the biggest bang for the lowest impact (i.e. not as bad on your joints as a treadmill, which he recommends staying away from).

I have a Nodictrack Elite. Got it from Costco. We had a hard time finding on that both my DH and I liked. Since he is 6'2" and I am 5'5" that wasn't too suprising.

I also use a Lifecycle Elliptical (which has a more up-down type stride) when I go to my DS's indoor soccer practices.

I like them both, but they are very different. I suggest trying as many of them as you can to find the one that works the best with your stride and your budget (we didn't get a Lifecycle because all the Lifecycles I really liked I couldn't afford )

I also have a recumbant bike for those days when I am just dragging and the Elliptical is going to kill me. I generally use it after the Elliptical as a cool down for 25 minutes, or in cases like lately when I have been sick, as a getting started back to working out machine. Doesn't burn as much calories, but still gives me a good workout and I can sit and watch TV in the basement for an hour and ride (like I will be doing tonight during The Biggest Loser).

Good Luck!
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote