Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:41 PM   #1  

Unhappy I'm New Here and I Need Help.....

I'm a 25y/o mom to 3 boys and I'm having some serious issues with my weight. I'm 138lbs (5f6") and I know that there are many on here that find that petty but it is affecting my life. I guess it's not so much my weight as it is my body fat percentage. My mom has always said that just because someone is skinny doesn't mean that they're not fat. That goes for me.....but I'm not skinny either! My BF% is 33% which is clinically overweight even though my BMI is normal. I have no energy AT ALL and all I eat is junk. I just recently found out that I may have exercise induced asthma which may account for some of the things I'm going through.
In high school I was avid in sports but I would have bouts of coughing and chest burning/tightness afterwards.. everyday! I thought that it was normal. When I graduated I started doing home work-out videos but just could not keep up with them because I was sooo out of breath like I was just plain out of shape. I quit doing the videos, had a few kids and now I can't do anything. My youngest son has asthma (2y/o) and I thought for the heck of it I'd take 1 puff of his meds before I try working out.....I made it 16mins without feeling like I was going to die!! It worked amazingly, I was so proud of myself and today was day3 of doing the video....only 15min/time but that is GREAT for me. It's a tough video (The Firm ..Total Body)
I'm going to try to keep this momentum going and hopefully I can increase the length of time that I work-out. I am soooo sore right now but that's a good thing. My prob that I need help with is my addiction to sugar. I can make up until about 4-5pm before I just can't fight the urge anymore. I don't have a problem saying no to high fat foods like chips and burgers just sweets. I felt awful because I did so well today then I just blew it. Damn easter bunnies!
I drink 64oz of water everyday and I no longer have headaches because of this. I don't know with the cravings. I have 3 kids so it's hard to be spontaneous and I do find that I'm an emotional eater as well as eating out of boredom. I also find it hard to eat healthy when my kids won't eat a lot of it and I'm too tired to be cooking 2 meals everyday. My middle child gags at the smell of food that he doesn't like and has on occasion thrown-up, not your normal pickiness. But they are all skinny, skinny kids and so is dh. I'm following my mothers foot steps, she'll eat a whole 1lb choc.bunny in a sitting. I grew up around sugar binges. Mom is solid but not overweight....she jogs and goes to Curves.
I'm sorry that I'm just rambling but I need help. I need to know how to control the cravings. I can't imagine how an alcoholic must feel.....it's so hard. My mind is in it one minute and the next... nothing else matters. And like I said, it's just with the sugar. I really would like to go completely sugar-free. *sigh*
Maybe there is somebody out there like me that I could work with on this. I won't leave the house, I don't have clothes that fit and I'm depressed. But depression didn't make me fat, I got depressed because of it. My kids need their mom to have energy.
Thank-you if you read all of this and made it down to the bottom! You have a heart of gold!!! ~~Lisa
Old 04-17-2004, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Yes, well there are quite a few issues in there Lisa and it seems you are focussing on the sugar levels. Blood sugar levels go up and down naturally and the ingestion of normal food should bring them back to level again. With sugar in it's pure form it gives you a burst of energy (sugar high) then tapers off rapidly (sugar low). The more you eat of the stuff, the worse it gets.
It doesn't help your energy levels either that all you eat is junk food. I would suggest that when the sugar craving hits, have a piece of fruit. A Banana or similar has plenty of Fructose (fruit natural sugars). You should also consider having 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. A big ask I know with being a busy mum. It is also hard to have good food in the house and the kids wont eat it. Perhaps I am fortunate, my kids ate what got put on the table and didn't complain. We've had few problems with food apart from one sons allergy to colouring in food and to full cream milk. He's grown out of that now thank heavens.

Anyway, try the small meals bit. Organise your day so that you have enough food not to crave at the end of the day and maybe allow yourself a very small sugar fix around 3pm to see if that fixes the binging around 4 - 5 pm. Good luck.
Closed Thread