Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 09:39 PM   #1  
maria79

Red face New To Chat, Weight Loss, and this forum. Please Help!

I have never really chatted before except for the occasional instant message from one of my sisters. I am a 25 year old mother and college student. I am 162 pounds and I started out at 170 a month and a half ago. I never realized how much weight I was gaining till I decided to find out what my BMI was, you know on one of those health sites. I found out that I am obese. This alarmed me in itself, but obesity runs in my family along with lots of diabetes on both sides of my family. Now I am worried and I am not sure what diet approach to take. I have been trying the 1250 calorie diet and exercising 5 days a week, but lately I am finding it harder and harder to eat all those calories when I just feel so bad about my weight. I am finding myself wanting to fall into starvation mode, which I did in highschool. I don't want to be miserable so I MUST achieve balance, but how. Also, I have been logging all my food and keeping track of calories eaten/burned. I am really worried that the weight is never going to come off. In need of help and support, Maria.

Last edited by MariaW; 03-28-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:10 PM   #2  
Onward and downward!

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of support here. Firstly, congratulations on your weight loss so far, but I am concerned you're daily calorie intake is too low. There are calculators on this site which can help you calculate how many calories you can eat and still lose weight.

I have finally given up dieting and adopted a healthy lifestyle, one which I can live with. I started at the beginning of this year by making healthy food choices and committing to regular exercise. So far I have lost 8lbs , and I bought The Ultimate Weight Solution by Dr. Phil last week to help me on my journey.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Lucia.

SW: 18O
CW: 172
GW: 115
Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #3  
maria79

Thank you for writing. I have really been thinking about upping my calories according to those calculators but I am just so afraid to add one more pound to my already 160. I have always been the type to gain QUICKLY. So, you bought Dr. Phils new book? Do you like it so far. I really do want to be healthy. Do you think this book would maybe give me a better focus, because this started out as a health thing and has gotten to be a little more than that. I was thinking about going to see a doctor but it just seems I never have time. I noticed you have the same goal weight as mine. That is cool. Maybe we can share ideas along the way. What are you doing for exercise? How do you get those smileys to work? I can't figure it out.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:49 PM   #4  
Onward and downward!

Hi Maria,

I see you are still online, so I hope you get this reply before you go offline. The smilies are on the right when you reply to a post, there are several displayed, and you click on whichever you want and it will be placed where the cursor is . The word more is underneath them, and you click on it and a lot more smilies will pop up. I love using them, I think they make posts fun.

With regards to your calorie intake, did you know that after a while, your body will go into starvation mode if it is receiving too few calories, and you will not lose weight, especially if you are exercising regularly. Don't be afraid of food, make good food choices and keep up your exercise, think of eating healthy food as putting premium fuel into your body to help it do all it has to do for you. There are great recipes on this site, and plenty more to be found on the net.

I understand your fear of diabetes, this also runs in both sides of my family, and my health, now and in the future, is my biggest motivator. I have only just started the Dr. Phil book, however I enjoy is show and is very direct style, he may not always tell people what they want to hear, but he is honest. I thought his book would be a good source of motivation for me and though I am only on Chapter One, I feel it is going to be one of those books I keep referring to for years to come.

For exercise, I do lift weights and use videos - pilates, yoga, aerobics and the 3 mile Walk Away The Pounds - I like variety as I get bored with the same old thing and this has been a reason for giving up in the past. I also garden and mow the lawn as exercise!

I would love to share ideas and experiences with you as we journey toward our healthier selves!

Hear from you soon,

Lucia

Last edited by Lucia-1; 03-29-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:09 AM   #5  

I agree with Lucia - its important to get ENOUGH calories in order to lose weight. If you're not eating enough your metabolism will slow way down in order to conserve energy and you'll end up negating all the positive results you're getting from exercise. Weight loss is slow - I've read that its safe to lose between 2-4 pounds a week. Aim for small goals - try to get your heart rate up for atleast 20 or 30 minutes every day. Make sure the calories you're eating are healthy foods. Most of all, stay committed and make sure you pat yourself on the back for the progress you've already made!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #6  
Maggi

Default not eating enough?

Well I'm keeping my calories up but not over. I'm aiming for two pounds a week, and not more than that. Yesterday, evening was tough for me and I have no clue why! I wasn't physically hungry but I felt my motivation drift away, and the eating devil begin talking to me. I didn't listen! I think because I was so busy yesterday, had too many projects behind and I needed to get some stuff done, and still do, that I didn't walk yesterday. I don't think the not walking did it, but more like I didn't set my mental pace in the morning to put the skinny picture in my head and the goal in my head slipped. Well I was proud of myself I didn't cheat, but I did go and hide in the bedroom with some magazines about dieting and that helped me get my motivation back some! I think to, just as you hit the end of the first week on a diet that you have a bit of a slump, that I need to put some focus on today to keep my mind on my goal.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #7  
SAHM of 3

Smile Maria?Lucia? Sounds like me

Good morning all. I would love to join the two of you in your weight battle. So many of the folks I've read about are following a strict regimen; ie: South Beath, Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc. I don't like those. I've tried the Atkins and even though I lost over 20 lbs. I can NOT stick with it. I've scanned through the South Beach and read up on the WW, but neither of those seem to be for me. In the past after my second child, I started cutting back my calories to between 1200 and 1500 and exercising almost every day. I lost around 20 but became pregnant.

Let me tell you two alittle about myself. I am a 26 year old stay at home mother of 3. 5y, almost 3y, and 16m. I have found it almost impossible to exercise. I honestly haven't found ANY time to include that, I'm hoping with summer moving in, I'll be outside more and I can find something out there. I have to fall back into that healthy eating pattern. You know it costs alot of money to eat healthy and right now my family was having a really tight time. I found out about 4 months ago that I had high cholesterol, borderline high. This does not run in my family. I am only 26 I couldn't believe what I was hearing and this made me step back and say wait a minute this can't be. Obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol none of these run in my family. I am the shortest person in both sides of my family. At only 5'3" I weigh 210 lbs. I have had 3 kids but with my youngest being 16 months that shouldn't matter. Now is the time I must change.

Can we help each other? I need some buddies through this. My husband is the kind that tries to gain weight, like most of his family is that way. It's sickening, however just as difficult for them to gain as us to lose let me tell you. But why that hurts me is because of the way I try to cook and eat. My husband must have his cookies and ice cream. I try to get the kinds that don't tempt me. Sometimes it works.

See girls, I am a sugaraholic and a snacker. I could skip all meals and just snack my way through the day, but usually on cookies, candy, desserts, anything sweet.

I need help.

Hope to hear from you.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 PM   #8  
Onward and downward!

Hi Crystal,

As far as I'm concerned, the more buddies, the better. I'd love to exchange ideas with you as we work toward our goals. I have also been down the strict diet path, one with as little as 600 calories per day , that one was terrible, I used to go to bed early, just so I could wake up and have breakfast . I have finally removed the horrible "D" word from my vocabulary. As I mentioned, I have just started to read The Ultimate Weight Solution, as I like Dr. Phil's direct approach. My health is my major motivator, as I have seen the effects obesity/overweight has had on the lives of aunts, and friends of my parents.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Lucia

Last edited by Lucia-1; 03-29-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #9  
Legend in my own mind

your sure right about that Crystal, it does cost more to eat healthy.
you can make some changes that won't cost more like, use brown rice not white (same price) whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and whole wheat tortilas, and get rid of all the refined stuff. so its like you gotta find changes you can make to help you, and you can always find new kinds of snacks that you can have when others are having ice cream. its really up to you.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:28 AM   #10  
Maggi

Default Respons to Crystal

Crystal

I can see how busy you are with the 3 kids and how it would place full demand on you with the kids at home all day with you. And I haven't read the other folks reply to you, just read yours so if this is the same advice, sorry. A couple of things, would you have enough energy to walk or do aerobic dance while they napped? Or when your husband comes home and after dinner could he watch the kids while you take an hour for yourself?

I think if you could do that and start a routine you might have a bit more energy to help get your through the day.
Medical issues: I too have high cholesterol, no one in my family does either and up until a few years ago my cholestrol was 170 and then it started rising. My weight was rising as well, as well as my exercise had stopped, and I had increased my intake of fast foods and pre-packaged "quick prepare at home meals" One thing I can recommend is the butter BENECOL, they have a web site so you can read about it and how it helps, my doctor recommend that, plus losing the weight, and exercise, and to quit smoking, (I'm saving that for last, cause you can't do everything at once, and not go crazy).

Did they say you were at risk for diabetes?

I too was a sugar freak, cookies etc.... I think I was an emotional eater and still am so I have to watch that, if I felt pressure or upset I would grab the the junk food to eat to put things in the back of my mind and focus on the eating. Being on the diet, normal one, just eating regular foods, grilled or baked chicken and fish and beef sometimes, has helped me so far, plus I am more energized. I tried Adkins, but felt tired all the time, even after 3 weeks. I think it works great for some body types, mine must not have been one.

You said you were 5'3" don't quote me, but somewhere I read a profile about folks who are overweight and under a certain height having a higher risk factor for some things, I wish I could remember where. Have you done any searches on the internet? Have you ever read the book by Bill Phillips, "Fit for Life" I know it is available at Wal-Mart, but he is a exercise food guru and has a "fit for life Challenge" you can also access his web site, I liked his plan because it has you focus for a solid number of weeks between each challenge and the results can be very dramatic.

Bottom line, you can do this and you have a lot of reasons to do it, your health, your children, and the rest of your life. The gang here is great so expect a lot of support. Think about what support may help you the best and let us know any specfics, sometimes that helps me too, thinking how someone else could specificlly help me gives me some clues about my own internal workings.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:04 AM   #11  

hi all,

i tell myself everyday that i am NOT on a diet that i have changed my BAD eating habits! i finally figured out that my problem was eating when it was time instead of waiting until i was trully hungry( at work buzzer for break goes off...eat)(hubby wants lunch so i would eat ... even tho i wasnt hungry yet) now i am waiting till the tummy starts growling and then i am eating healthy. and i am walking a 25 minute mile at least 3 times a week. so on march 11 i was 221 and now im at 210 hope this keeps working for me.

dont make excuses that you dont have time to exercise. here are some ideas

1. dont drive around the parking lot to find the closest parking spot park in the furthest and walk!
2. take the batteries out of the remote and dont tell one of the kids to change the chanel for you!
3. when sweeping the floor stretch way out with your arms and do some leg lundges!
4. while doing dishes do some leg movements instead of just standing there!
5.while folding clothes dont sit on the couch but stand at a table and do some squats as you fold!

hope you get the idea LOL exercise is getting up off the couch and moving it dosent have to be a set time or place and for you to say i dont have time is just an excuse. THINK ABOUT IT! good luck to you in whatever plan you have chosen.

Peg
Closed Thread