Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/216/126

Height: 5'6"

Default Overweight, Hit Rock Bottom and Ready to Change ...

Hi ... I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of days now trying to work them out, and I thought it was about time I actually plucked up courage and came along to introduce myself.

I'm Crystal, I'm forty, and I'm overweight. A lot overweight. Well, "obese" is the term Doctors like to use I've had a few ups and downs, and was naturally slim until I was in my mid-twenties when I had hormone treatment for endometriosis. This resulted in me gaining forty pounds, and it's all been down hill weight-wise since then. I remember once my doctor giving me a physical not long after my treatment had finished and telling me I was overweight and needed to do something about it. Since then I've gained another 50 pounds, so his words didn't really help

Anyway, I know it's time to change - I have a nine year old son who I just can't keep up with; I've reached the stage where it hurts to walk downstairs as my knees just don't want to work any more, and I have lost any get-up-and-go whatsoever. I came across this forum whilst doing random Google searches, and hope it's the place for me to make a new start.

Any help and advice would be welcome - I'm only on Day 2, and not really following a plan of any sort - I've just cut out snacking, have quit the spoonful of sugar I enjoyed with my morning coffee, and am just trying to stick to three healthy meals a day. I'd really appreciate any help and guidance, and maybe someone could point me in the direction of the most useful threads/forums for me to fit in with? Thanks in advance, C x
TheCrystalFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #2  
Becoming A Better Me

Default I feel ya girlfriend!

im new to the forum myself n look forward everyday several times a day to reading 3FC for help, motivation and support! im not following any "diet" either. i do calorie counting ad as i love pasta, rice, breads and such im following a diabetic lifestyle~ wholegrains, fruits, veggies, lean meats. i have knee and back trouble n literally started out walking 10-15 consecutive minutes a day! im 8lbs down n altho that doesnt sound like much im feeling so much better already! good luck n baby steps make steadier steps!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Welcome Crystal You'll find lots of inspiration, a shoulder to lean or cry or even celebrate on and tons of inspiration.I started as you did for a few days until I decided on a plan I could both live with and lose with. I recommend reading all the great info here and also choose some book that deald with emotional eating as well. I'm reading 3 of them. Feelings and Food, If I'm so fat why Can't I lose weight? ( my Fav) and The Emotional diet.
Choose a few threads that resonate with you. I need to loose over100 pds so I chose 100+ and at 61 (50+ forum) I also have found I like challeneges. I like the one where You choose the elements of your plan and then challenge to meet certain daily goal (like staying in tract for month, year ect. Keep coming back! You can do it.
healthyginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #4  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

First welcome. It a journey and whatever plan (not diet) you stick to find something you can deal with long term. For me each pound I lost my knees and energy level improved.

I find the forms are kinda personal, so browse and figure out what works for you. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. I also find while I"m 300+ and 38 I take alot from other forums that technically I don't fit into (20 something, featherweights, maintainers) so keep an open mind.

At the end of the day do what works for you
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

Hi Crystal!! Welcome! Nice to see another UK person!! I hope you will find support here. As a start, I think that is a good way to begin making changes.
Joselito xxx
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/216/126

Height: 5'6"

Hi Dangerous ... great to see that I'm in the right place And no, eight pounds DOES sound like a lot!! I remember years ago when I used to go to Slimming World meetings and the consultant used to show us a huge lump of orangey jelly like substance and remind us that that was what one pound of fat looked like, so no, eight pounds is a great start. I plan on trying to walk a bit every day - it makes me sad that I used to walk everywhere, never drove, always walked, for miles and miles every day. Now I get cramps in my calves just crossing the carpark at the local supermarket, and don't even get me started on stairs!! It's a vicious circle though, isn't it? It scares me to walk anywhere because it hurts, and I get out of breath and monumentally sweaty (you probably didn't need to know that last bit ...) - and yet I know if I started again and trained my muscles to actually start working again I would feel better in next to no time. Right - tomorrow I definitely walk somewhere, even if only round the block. Baby steps ... thank you

Hi Ginger - you make this sound like I've definitely come to the right place (though other people may disagree as I'll probably bore the pants of people before too long because I can talk for England!) Thanks for the advice on the books; I'll Google them now and see if good old Amazon can help out. And thanks for guidance on threads - I think over the next few days I'll find my feet here and work out where I'm most at home. And finally thanks for saying I can do it - I find it hard to tell myself I can as my goal just seems so far away, but I know I can. It's not going to happen overnight, but I was slim for the first 26 years of my life, so there's only really me stopping me getting back there again. Thank you.

Hi Obsidian - thanks for your fine idea of a plan!! I fear the word diet, it scares me! To me 'diet' means something that's always gone wrong in the past, when I panic and binge eat at the thought of never eating junk food again. Think if I get in the mindset of a little bit occasionally then I'll be okay. You're totally right - it's long term that I'm interested in, something I can live with on a day to day basis so that I don't have to think about food all the time. And as for the forums, as I say I'll spend the next few days browsing to find my place. Thank you.

Hello again Jose (I only say again because I've just replied to you on the UK page ) - it's great that there's people from all over the world here, but sometimes closer to home is what works!

Hope to see you all around on the forum over the next few days and weeks and months - ****, maybe even years. We'll see. For now, I think I need my beauty sleep. Night night all.
TheCrystalFairy is offline   Reply With Quote