Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/197/130

Height: 5' 6 "

Default Hello Everyone!!

Well, here I am. Starting the weight loss battle AGAIN. I am grateful to have found a group like you have here. Maybe it will keep my spirits up this time

I have been approved for a Lap Band. I have surgery set for October 3rd. Crazy, since I just consulted the surgeon on Tuesday!! I see the dietician day after tomorrow to start my Pre-surgery diet. 700 calories a day!! Wow!

My frustration lies with the fact that I have lost this weight once. Back in 2004 my friends and I from work went on Atkins, and I was very, very successful with it. I went from 172 down to 125 in about 6 months. I was running 5k three times a week and I felt amazing. Then, on December 1, 2004 I was in a car accident. I broke my neck. I have not been able to run since, in fact I have only been able to walk daily for about a year. I gained all my weight back, plus some. I am now at 215, I am 5'6" tall, and I am so bummed.

But, I am optimistic that the lap band will help me. I have a close friend that has been quite successful with it the last couple years, so I hope this will be my answer.

Thanks for being here, it is great to read all of the wonderful success stories and the "in progress" stories as well.

Gabby
gabbybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC!

Best of wishes with your Lap Band procedure! There's a Weight Loss Surgery area where you can meet up with others who've either had a procedure or are on their way to having one done.

Hope to see you around the boards!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/278/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm so sorry to gear about your accident! But you have lost the weight before and you can do it again! Your surgery is soon considering you just spoke with the surgeon. I have heard of a bunch of people who have been successful with the lapband procedure, and I'm sure you will add to them
Hillaryspeppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204.8/197/150

Height: 5'7

Congrats on you Lap Band approval! I sincerely hope it helps you get to your weightloss goal . Your stats are similar to mine, my highest weight a few months ago was 212 but now I am stuck at 201 ( can't wait to be in onderland soon!) The first ten pounds melted right off and now Im struggling to lose. Hope you have success in your future.

I just joined yesterday so Im a newbie as well
Sophieeex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #5  

Thank you so much!! I need to hear that. I went yesterday and got my pre-surgery workup. EKG, chest xray, lab work and psych workup, whew!!

I now have an "official" date of October 6, and I am nervous!!because of my accident and all the subsequent surgeries, I'm a little gun shy. But, It will be worth it!!!!

Thanks again for the support-I really need it!!

Gabby
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #6  

Thanks Sophieeex3,
I hope you do well too. I think we found a great place to find support, or just to read and see that we are not alone by any means

I am about to start the "pre-surgery diet". I figure I may as well dive in head first and see how it goes!

Gabby
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

Good luck. I just had a couple of questions for anyone familiar with lapband surgery. Is this the same thing as 'stapling your stomach'. I thought you had to be 'morbidly' obese for that. 215 and 5'6" (female) doesn't match with what I had in my head for people who get any kind of weight loss surgery.

Just confused.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #8  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

I was a little confused myself. I know a little about Lapband, but assumed I wouldn't qualify as I'm not heavy enough. Being an inch shorter and ten pounds heavier than the original poster, I was surprised she qualified. Learned something new today.

Good luck with your surgery! Wish you well on your weight loss journey.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

A little background on the difference between lapband and other weight loss surgeries -

lap band is not the same as stomach stapling, which seems to be a term that's been hanging around for awhile. in gastric bypass, most of the stomach is closed off, so i guess that's where the stapling concept comes in .

the lapband is basically an adjustable 'belt' attached around the top part of the stomach, making a pouch that's about the size of an egg. it provides restriction only, so that the person can only eat a small amount at a time.

gastric bypass and duodenal switch have rearranged intestines so that anyone who's had either of these surgeries also don't absorb all the nutrients and calories that they eat.

Gabby may be on the 'light side' for the surgery, but it's also possible to have surgery approved if a person has other issues. And with her accident and other problems, she certainly qualifies!

So, Gabby! come on over to the surgery forum - and any other forum that interests you. Your life is about to change - dramatically!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/197/130

Height: 5'0"

Good Luck with your surgery. I have been looking into Lap-Band, but I am just not sure...
Welcome!!
girlvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #11  
RomansDoda

S/C/G: Starting weight-173/167/135

Height: 5'6''

You are very courageous! Welcome and well wishes.
romansdoda is offline   Reply With Quote