Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/323/180

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Hello from a girl needing support

New here and needing some advice. I am fat, very fat, and here I am. summer will be here and it will be another summer inside due to the fact that I will not be seen in a swim suit, shorts, or a tank top. My parents just put in a new pool and I will have to watch from the sidelines. I will go over and swim late at night when everyone else is sleeping, but what fun is that? ANy support would be greatly appreciated.
billschubbywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Hey,

I would love it if you would consider getting in that pool (yes, even during the day) and enjoying the exercise.

I am very fat too, but I am a little LESS fat every day. I can control what I do TODAY and so can you. Stick around, this place is a great support.

What plan are you following? Calorie counting is free and easy.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Hi there! It sounds like you are ready to make a change. Good for you and you made a great choice coming here for support. Now on your pool question....I'll tell you what's fun about night swimming alone: You could use the time to swim laps and do water aerobics! Think about it - no one to make you feel self conscious, and total darkness with no mirrors. You can totally let yourself go and burn those calories! It's very healthy. I say make this your last summer of sitting on the sidelines. Keep us updated! : )
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

The pool is a great way to exercise and burn calories

If you don't have a swimsuit, try shopping online. Just take your measurements and order one that follows the sizing chart..but order it soon so you have plenty of time to return it if it doesn't fit.

I go swimming at the community center I belong to. At first it was really hard because I felt like everyone was looking at my fat thighs and my flabby arms, but really hardly anyone notices. And those that do and pass judgment are just uncomfortable with themselves.

Plus, the pool that your family just installed is a fantastic way to get exercise!! It's your family, and hopefully they won't be too critical. But if you feel like you have to go at night to feel "safe" then going at night is better than not going at all. Swimming is great!

Good luck on your journey and welcome..

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

If the pool you are going to is your parents wouldn't you most likely be surrounded by family and friends who would rather you get in and have fun with them then just sit on the sidelines. Even if you choose not to get in don't separate yourself. Put on a comfy sundress and join them outside. It may help you become more comfortable and you might end up in that pool before the end of summer.

*sidenote--think of the calories your burn in the swimming pool!!
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Why do you have to watch from the sidelines? Why wait? Get in that pool and have fun! I'm fat, too! I refuse to let my weight be the excuse that I use to keep from doing the things that I'd like to do.

If you'd like to start out, have you selected a plan to be healthier? Let us know. We'd love to help support you on your journey!

Best of success!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

Like they are all saying, get in the pool with everyone else. It is great excercise! I've got a 100 pounds to lose, but that will not stop me from getting in the pool this summer with my son at a motel where the pool will crowded with lots of other adults and children.
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #8  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

aww hon, i know how hard it is to put on a bathing suit and go in front of people. last year we bought a house that had a pool with it, i told my husband to rip it out of the ground, i didnt want any part of it. but he opened it up anyway. instead of wearing a bathing suit i put on pull string shorts and a tank with built in bust support. then i'd wear a t-shirt over that till i got in the pool, and once i was under water i'd toss the t-shirt on the deck. i'm sooo glad my husband didnt listen to me. we had soooooo much fun last year in that pool.
and i realized that my friends and family didnt judge me in the least, they were just happy to have me join in the fun.
good luck to you and welcome.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Wear clothes to go swimming! (It sounds silly, but hear me out!) There is no need to miss out but you should feel comfortable, too... Get a cotton T-shirt, or cotton jersey shirt, and (since you say you won't wear shorts) get a light weight pair of cotton pants (Like pj type) and wear that!
Then you can go swimming - still be covered AND it will create what swimmers call 'drag'. That means it will cause resistance in the water and it will be GREAT for a little exercise. (If anyone questions why you are wearing clothes - you can tell them it is part of your exercise routine and explain the drag it creates!)

Please don't miss out on the swimming with your family - they love you no matter what! I love swimming, and I can not imagine my life without it - even if I weighed 800 pounds I would still be in that water.

My friends and I skinny dip at night on labor day weekend every year! Just think if it! Me and my 200+ lbs flopping around in the water naked!! (at least you don't have to worry about skinny dipping! lol!)

SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

Welcome, you have been given many great ideas already, sooo I dont have anything to add. You can do it!
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #11  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #12  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi, Welcome, I'm new here too... and already kinda addicted to coming here. There is a lot of support here, and great ideas... look around, you'll be amazed. Good Luck.. and IMO you should buy a bathing suit, Roamans on line had some pretty ones, add some awesome sunglasses, maybe a pedicure and get out there.....
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #13  
Changing for me!

S/C/G: 171/171/125

Height: 5'6

i hope you enjoy your stay hehehe
the support here is great i hope you enjoy it as much as i do
Happy Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

hi -- I just joined today, after reading and lurking for several days. I'm the same height as you and want to end up at about the same weight. It will take a while, but we can do it if we stick to it! We have a pool in our subdivision, and I love to "water walk"; it's great exercise but not hard on your knees, ankles, etc. And the more you do, the more you move, the better it feels! Keep us posted on what food & exercise plan you choose, and stay positive.
anita
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote