Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 133/131.4/115

Height: 5'2

Default hey all newbie here

Hey, I'm new to this site. I've been a yo-yo dieter since I was around 13. I know it's not a good thing. I was never a fat kid... instead I was you know the pleasantly plum girl in class that adults found cute, but that children insesantly poked fun at. At 13 I weighed in at 140lbs, I was extremely depressed, and didn't have very many friends. One day I went into a starvation mode diet, plus diet pills which didn't do much except for make me shakey for the whole time and within a few months I went down to 120lbs miraculously. I somehow was able to stay around that way for most of highschool, going up and down a few lbs here and there. Unfortunatly college started and even though I told myself that I wouldn't put on the horrible freshman 15... here I am at 133lbs and the school years not over yet. I feel horrible about myself. I dont want to look in the mirror, and I understand that I'm not THAT overweight but I no longer feel happy, or healthy about myself. I feel like I need help, or perhaps just some support. I'm excited to start, and try to put my weight back on track.. but this time in a healthy and stable environment
yinit9278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #2  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi and welcome!

I am so so envious of you!!! :-)

Why?! you may be asking yourself...

Well, because you found a place, the 3FC, where you are going to find support and information that will helpyou starting here and now and that will serve you well for the rest of your life!!!

Like you, I approached dieting as a temporary fix when I was younger. I starved myself in my teens -- and as an older female, I can tell you that that is devastating to the body! So please, PLEASE, don't ever do that again. When we starve ourselves, the body goes into self preservation mode and as a result - hangs on TIGHTLY to its fat stores -- and then -- takes its energy from the muscles!!! We do not want to lose MUSCLE , we want to lose FAT.

Protect your muscle mass, and no matter what program you choose, be happy with whatever weight loss it gives you on a weekly basis - will it be between 1 and 5 pounds -- great -- as long as you stick to it and there is loss, you are doing great! Weight loss takes time, and your patience will give you the best payoff of all -- losing the weight at a healthy and preserving your precious muscle along the way!

Pick a program, the one that rings true for you.... Weight Watchers? South Beach? Zone? Atkins? Pick the one that appeals to you and that you think best suits your life. For me, its South Beach because I am carbohydrate sensitive, I can't have one chip, or three fries, or half a cup of rice! So when I had to give it all up for the first two weeks of SB, oh my goodness --

It was all about stopping the craving for these things, and the SB worked for me! Here I am in week 5, averaging about 1100 calories a day... and the loss is slow, but steady. Compare this to about 2300 calories I used to have a day.

Anyway, this is my long-winded way of saying, You've Come to the Right place, and what's even better -- it's free -- but just as valuable as any of the weight loss forums where you have to pay a subscription for the support!

So again, welcome. We can do this!

To US, and to Success in the Quest!

best,
b
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133/131.4/115

Height: 5'2

thanks , I was wondering if I could forgo the dieting route. I know that sounds bad, but as a college student and with my hectic lifestyle joining a program right now is near impossible. I was going to try just eating less, watching calories, and eating healthier foods plus excersizing and seeing where that takes me... what do you guys think?
yinit9278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #4  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

Well, eating less and watching calories is dieting... and I believe you will get results --

and hopefully, you will continue to monitor yourself even after you reach your goal -- don't forget to plan a maintenance stage after you reach your goal so that it doesn't creep up on you again.
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Oh you have the best idea - lower calories and increase exercise. Sounds like a winner! Maybe you could visit the calorie counters forum and the exercise forum for some good ideas that will fit in with your busy schedule.

Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, sounds like a good idea to me! Making better food choices and working some exercise into your day is a plan for life.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote