Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondi13 View Post
I try to keep it under 30 net carbs and I still can't seem to be in ketosis. Carbs are certainly my enemy! What about sugar alcohols? I have had some Dr carbrite bars that have 1 to 2 net carbs. Any advice on those bars as an alternative to a restricted .
What makes you think you're not in ketosis?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Great job Jim
DeterminedDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 140/138/115 (Reboot-Nov. 2015)

Height: 5'-3 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
What makes you think you're not in ketosis?
Hi Lisa, I am not losing weight which seems to be one reason. I am wondering if I am not eat enough or just storing too much. I have a BM every few days. I eat between 700 and 900 calories a day based on the IP packets and veggies and or alternatives. I actually went up this week. My coach said we will try to experiment a bit to see if it will move more. She suggested having more carbs. I have had a piece of dream bread a few times last week results in 1 net carb and 90 calories a slice. I find having a big salad at night with my breast of chicken never results in my numbers going down. I have been having WF dressing as well.

Breakfast today, coffee, tsp IP cappuccino, packet Splenda, scoop of Carbthin zer carb protein drink.

Last edited by Blondi13; 02-25-2015 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added a note
Blondi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #19  
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_Jim View Post
I saw that video too, with the 40 carb limit mentioned. I never knew the maximum allowed, so was helpful.

BTW I hit my 50% goal today!!!
Terrific job -
scorpio53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #20  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Hi Lisa, I am not losing weight which seems to be one reason. I am wondering if I am not eat enough or just storing too much. I have a BM every few days. I eat between 700 and 900 calories a day based on the IP packets and veggies and or alternatives. I actually went up this week. My coach said we will try to experiment a bit to see if it will move more. She suggested having more carbs. I have had a piece of dream bread a few times last week results in 1 net carb and 90 calories a slice. I find having a big salad at night with my breast of chicken never results in my numbers going down. I have been having WF dressing as well.

Breakfast today, coffee, tsp IP cappuccino, packet Splenda, scoop of Carbthin zer carb protein drink.
Some foods, despite their low carb and low calorie nature, are still high on the glycemic index & load charts. End result is an insulin release which can obstruct weight loss, as it's designed to squirrel away excess blood glucose into fat storage. May be worth looking up the ingredients in your dream bread and confirming where it stands.

You also don't mention if the salad is in addition to your 4 cups of veggies per day or you're using it AS the veggie allowance. This could also be a big part of the problem, especially if your calories are between 700-900. Vary your veggie so you're getting a mix of the higher carb/high fiber (broccoli, asparagus, chard, kale, mustard greens, bell peppers) with some of the lower carb/moderate fiber (mushrooms, yellow squash, cauliflower). Bodies are smart, they learn your eating patterns and they adapt pretty quickly.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Interesting Briael...does anyone know if Quest bars trigger insulin release..i know the fiber cancels the carbs, but the body's response may be different?

Last edited by CO_6; 02-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Some foods, despite their low carb and low calorie nature, are still high on the glycemic index & load charts. End result is an insulin release which can obstruct weight loss, as it's designed to squirrel away excess blood glucose into fat storage. May be worth looking up the ingredients in your dream bread and confirming where it stands.

You also don't mention if the salad is in addition to your 4 cups of veggies per day or you're using it AS the veggie allowance. This could also be a big part of the problem, especially if your calories are between 700-900. Vary your veggie so you're getting a mix of the higher carb/high fiber (broccoli, asparagus, chard, kale, mustard greens, bell peppers) with some of the lower carb/moderate fiber (mushrooms, yellow squash, cauliflower). Bodies are smart, they learn your eating patterns and they adapt pretty quickly.
Hi Briael, I don't eat very many pieces of the Dream Bread but his is a breakdown of a piece. Calories, 80, fat 2 g, sodium 90 mg, carbs 9 g, Fiber 8 g, sugars 0 and protein 7 g. Looking at that, it is 1 net carb or should I be considering it as 9 carbs and forget the Fiber? What do you think?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #23  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_6 View Post
Interesting Briael...does anyone know if Quest bars trigger insulin release..i know the fiber cancels the carbs, but the body's response may be different?
Fiber slows the absorption of carbs, it doesn't negate it all together. Just as polyols (sugar alcohols: xylitol, sorbitol, maltitol etc) are not actually carb free, because a percentage of the carb gets absorbed eventually, it just takes a very long time to go through the digestive system and in small amounts it is below what the USDA/FDA regulators will allow to be classified as 0 carbs.

I've been using the Quest powders without any issue, and the couple of bars I've had have not appeared to be problematic. I do tend to have them only when I'm about to do exercise though, so I am probably not the best example for someone with a more sedentary life.

I know many people here are having the Quest bars as part of their regular IP alternatives program, so hopefully they will chime in with their experience.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #24  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Hi Briael, I don't eat very many pieces of the Dream Bread but his is a breakdown of a piece. Calories, 80, fat 2 g, sodium 90 mg, carbs 9 g, Fiber 8 g, sugars 0 and protein 7 g. Looking at that, it is 1 net carb or should I be considering it as 9 carbs and forget the Fiber? What do you think?
1 net carb. You always deduct the fiber from the carb count, as the rate of absorption of carbs slows with a high amount of fiber.

Looking at the ingredients:- Water, wheat protein isolate, wheat gluten, oat fibre, wheat fibre, golden flax seed meal, oil (soy oil, canola oil, olive oil), almond meal, inulin, salt, yeast, natural enzymes, caraway seeds.

That's a lot of grain based products for a diet that is supposed to be eliminating the grain/nut groups entirely. While it may not be a major factor in stopping weight loss, I would certainly regard it as having the potential to slow you down quite significantly as that amount of variable fiber sources is going to encourage water retention to help process them through the gut.

Personally, I would be inclined to cut out the bread for a week and see if there is any difference in ketosis symptoms and any weight loss. Worth a try if you feel that you aren't losing appropriately.

Last edited by Briael; 02-25-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
1 net carb. You always deduct the fiber from the carb count, as the rate of absorption of carbs slows with a high amount of fiber.

Looking at the ingredients:- Water, wheat protein isolate, wheat gluten, oat fibre, wheat fibre, golden flax seed meal, oil (soy oil, canola oil, olive oil), almond meal, inulin, salt, yeast, natural enzymes, caraway seeds.

That's a lot of grain based products for a diet that is supposed to be eliminating the grain/nut groups entirely. While it may not be a major factor in stopping weight loss, I would certainly regard it as having the potential to slow you down quite significantly as that amount of variable fiber sources is going to encourage water retention to help process them through the gut.

Personally, I would be inclined to cut out the bread for a week and see if there is any difference in ketosis symptoms and any weight loss. Worth a try if you feel that you aren't losing appropriately.
I will not have the bread which I just started recently to try a change due to no loss. I agree looking at the ingredients that is doesn't seem like a good choice for IP. My coach says focus on net carbs. I wonder about the sugar alcohols as well and if I am sensitive to them. I started working out again to see if that helps. Very sore today from last nights exercise. I am a former triathlete that needed to lose some weight and stopped exercising completely when I started IP. I know too much exercise can affect muscle loss so will have to watch for that as well. I am hoping to be down for my birthday the end of next month. My goal would be to lose 2 pounds a week making it 8 pounds by March 24. 10 would be nice so working towards that goal.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #26  

Quote:
I will not have the bread which I just started recently to try a change due to no loss. I agree looking at the ingredients that is doesn't seem like a good choice for IP. My coach says focus on net carbs. I wonder about the sugar alcohols as well and if I am sensitive to them. I started working out again to see if that helps. Very sore today from last nights exercise. I am a former triathlete that needed to lose some weight and stopped exercising completely when I started IP. I know too much exercise can affect muscle loss so will have to watch for that as well. I am hoping to be down for my birthday the end of next month. My goal would be to lose 2 pounds a week making it 8 pounds by March 24. 10 would be nice so working towards that goal.
On another note, I do keep my food in longer than normal from what my doctor told me so could be just absorbing everything in the process. I stated the Nori Cleanse on Monday to see if that would help. So far no big change.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #27  

Thanks for the video share! Makes me look at carbs in a new light! Ill be following this post as I have the same question as well.
vbaez6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #28  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

You also get a load of short chain fatty acids from fiber fermentation in the gut. Those nutrients aren't available on labels and can vary widely based on your gut health.
low land gorillas eat nearly nothing but (fiber) yet are high fat based how it responds in the gut. this report shows they calculate 57% from scfa and another 2.5% fats totalling nearly 60% fats, 24.3% protein, less than 16% carbs. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...t=AbstractPlus

Last edited by wylothar; 03-02-2015 at 10:01 PM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #29  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-w...loss-plateaus/

All foods stimulate insulin it is a matter of degree. Pretty good podcast.
http://body.io/body-io-fm-48-dr-jaso...betes-curable/
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-w...loss-plateaus/

All foods stimulate insulin it is a matter of degree. Pretty good podcast.
http://body.io/body-io-fm-48-dr-jaso...betes-curable/
Hi wylothar, have you tried the fat fast on your attached link? I just did it for 2.5 days and actually got into ketosis for the first time so I could actually see it on a ketostrips. Today is says trace so I am a bit freak out now. I lost a few pounds which was good but now hope to keep moving in the right downward direction as well.