Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #166  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone! I haven't been keeping up with you at all lately, but I went back a few pages and it's great to see a lot of the same names and faces as well as a few new ones.

I've been maintaining well and still in my size 4 shorts. I find that's a better indicator of how I'm doing than the number on the scale sometimes. I had abdominal surgery to repair two hernias (umbilical and groin) in early May, and between swelling/fluid retention/lack of BM due to pain meds, etc. I watched my weight spike up almost immediately afterward. Thankfully it's pretty much back to normal but there's still a bit of swelling and things are quite tender to the touch.

I continue to steer clear of most grains (still GF) and high carb items, and that works best for me. I have another week or so before I can get back to exercising and I'm very much looking forward to that!!

Keep up the good work, everyone!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I think I will be staying off the scale for awhile after surgery in July. I will already feel blah, and probably will not be able to wear normal clothes for a while. Seeing that spike will make me sad.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Maile: Spring is definitely here - we have been out hiking and the arnica and Indian Paintbrush are lovely. Many have been out on the lake in kayaks and canoes (paddleboarding coming soon, unless you are quite hot blooded). Asparagus is our veg of choice too right now, as it is fresh from the fields around here as well! Sure makes for stinky pee though. Apparently the breakdown of the sulphurous amino acids is what happens within 15-30 minutes, but not everyone can smell it. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fe...-eat-asparagus

I know, TMI, lol

Hope you enjoy your vacation out this way. We are headed to Kananaskis country and then a Relais & Chateaux boutique hotel in Calgary in about 2 weeks. We hope the weather is fine for hiking in the foothills of the Rockies...

Liana
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #169  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

bubbleblower: Glad your surgery went well and wishing you a speedy recovery!

drd: I highly recommend staying off the scale after surgery! When I had hernia surgery I made the mistake of getting on the scale the next day - I was up about 8 pounds! I knew I didn't really gain that much, but it was shocking! (It was gone in a few days too).

Trying to schedule one more surgery in the near future and it is difficult - too much going on this summer. May have to put it off to fall as much as I don't want to and my doc will object.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #170  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Hi everyone! I haven't been keeping up with you at all lately, but I went back a few pages and it's great to see a lot of the same names and faces as well as a few new ones.

I've been maintaining well and still in my size 4 shorts. I find that's a better indicator of how I'm doing than the number on the scale sometimes. I had abdominal surgery to repair two hernias (umbilical and groin) in early May, and between swelling/fluid retention/lack of BM due to pain meds, etc. I watched my weight spike up almost immediately afterward. Thankfully it's pretty much back to normal but there's still a bit of swelling and things are quite tender to the touch.

I continue to steer clear of most grains (still GF) and high carb items, and that works best for me. I have another week or so before I can get back to exercising and I'm very much looking forward to that!!

Keep up the good work, everyone!!
Bubbleblower! It is so good to see you! I was just thinking about you the other day. You were very supportive to me when I began last year. I'm glad you are doing so well, surgery and all. Keep feeling better and stop in now and then, when you get time!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #171  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
bubbleblower: Glad your surgery went well and wishing you a speedy recovery!

drd: I highly recommend staying off the scale after surgery! When I had hernia surgery I made the mistake of getting on the scale the next day - I was up about 8 pounds! I knew I didn't really gain that much, but it was shocking! (It was gone in a few days too).

Trying to schedule one more surgery in the near future and it is difficult - too much going on this summer. May have to put it off to fall as much as I don't want to and my doc will object.
Yes, and I have been reading that swelling with THR can last up to 4 weeks. I am doing this July for the left and January for the right, so this time next year I should be right as rain. They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to take a cancellation for next week. I said yikes, got too much to get off my plate before July to do that!

Nice thing is that my daughter should be able to come back about 4.5 weeks into recovery and I will not be working yet, but will probably feel well enough to enjoy her visit.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #172  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

just popped in to say "hi"! It sounds like everyone is doing well in maintenance. Nice to see everyone still posting. good luck on your surgery drd. i remember my surgery last year prompting me to begin this IP adventure. i wonder how much better i would feel having the surgery at a healthier weight and just a healthier me. hmmm. hopefully i won't find out.

ruth ann, hope you are able to schedule your surgery and get on to a speedy recovery soon.

bubbleblower, nice to see you and happy you are recovering. that sounds like quite the surgery.

i just can't believe that i have passed the one year mark since starting IP and I am maintaining and feeling so good. Yay!

i don't make it here often, but hang in there everyone.

hi maile!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #173  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
Yes, and I have been reading that swelling with THR can last up to 4 weeks. I am doing this July for the left and January for the right, so this time next year I should be right as rain. They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to take a cancellation for next week. I said yikes, got too much to get off my plate before July to do that!

Nice thing is that my daughter should be able to come back about 4.5 weeks into recovery and I will not be working yet, but will probably feel well enough to enjoy her visit.
Get your ortho to send you into the pool with physio as soon as stitches heal and you can be getting stronger sooner and even getting a bit of a workout later and back on plan too. I was a Physio Rehab Assistant for 25 yrs before I retired, talk to your docs right away. The sooner you get busy with physio especially low-weight bearing in the water the better your recovery will be.
Best wishes...

Liana
Old 05-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #174  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Get your ortho to send you into the pool with physio as soon as stitches heal and you can be getting stronger sooner and even getting a bit of a workout later and back on plan too. I was a Physio Rehab Assistant for 25 yrs before I retired, talk to your docs right away. The sooner you get busy with physio especially low-weight bearing in the water the better your recovery will be.
Best wishes...

Liana
I intend to begin the water since right now I swim 10,000 yards a week. My ortho is a sports med guy.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #175  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I intend to begin the water since right now I swim 10,000 yards a week. My ortho is a sports med guy.
Well, there you go, then! When we first moved to our area, I made sure all my new docs were into healthy lifestyles and sports themselves, then they'd know where I was coming from if I wanted to get right back at 'er ASAP...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #176  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

dak1lls - good to see you and congrats on the 1 year! I hear you on wishing you'd done this before surgery - I had a spinal fusion in 2012 and I wonder how much easier recovery would have been if I'd lost the weight beforehand.

drd - wish you all the best with your surgery and be sure to keep us informed on how you're doing!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #177  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Well, there you go, then! When we first moved to our area, I made sure all my new docs were into healthy lifestyles and sports themselves, then they'd know where I was coming from if I wanted to get right back at 'er ASAP...

My GP runs all the time. I often see him running past my house in the evening. It is good to have someone who understands how important exercise is to me.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #178  
P4

S/C/G: 238 highest--IP197/165/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Mostly-sorta maintaining

HI gals,
Looks like you are all on track and doing well.
I'm still hanging in, but tend to overeat followed by week of P1/P2.
I know it's not a good long term solution but that's what it is for now.

I keep telling myself that at least I am stopping before I get over "that" number. It's a little yo yo, but I am not letting myself do the big yo yo thing again.

I have good foods lined up for the holiday weekend so will be OP. We are going to be at an 3-day event and I was the one that planned the menus. Ha! Burger in a bowl one night and steak the next. Yes!!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #179  

Good for you, Tisado, for not letting things get too out of hand. I've had a few days of 170g+ carbs and have noticed that I have been craving things I don't normally get that interested in (eveningtimes) like Craisins which we put in our cereal occasionally. Soooo, I think that is a sign that I need to get 'er back to 150g or less. I probably won't do the pea soup, vegetarian chili with rice, and quinoa all in one day again, lol.

I'm going to get back to the focus on protein and quality veg carbs again, but I've just been too lazy and taken the easy way out these past few days. I usually love cooking, but haven't felt like doing veggie prep lately. Time to kick myself in the butt, lol . Luckily, after training in the pool and stretch classes, I am flexible enough to do that, hahaha.

Liana
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisado View Post
HI gals,
Looks like you are all on track and doing well.
I'm still hanging in, but tend to overeat followed by week of P1/P2.
I know it's not a good long term solution but that's what it is for now.

I keep telling myself that at least I am stopping before I get over "that" number. It's a little yo yo, but I am not letting myself do the big yo yo thing again.

I have good foods lined up for the holiday weekend so will be OP. We are going to be at an 3-day event and I was the one that planned the menus. Ha! Burger in a bowl one night and steak the next. Yes!!
It sounds like you are doing well. We all do what works for us. And the advice is to not let yourself get above a certain number, so yo yoing is what we'll be doing. I'm working at keeping within the 5lbs and also, when I exercise I tend to tone and build muscle so the measurements are the same but the scale may be different. Keep up the good work. It seems to be working for you!
Closed Thread