Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #91  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Oh Lisa -- just looked at your ticker! 15 lbs to go! Wooot wooot!! I remember when we were close to the same weight. I bow to you.
And to myself But the main thing is, I'm back and re-motivated. Must be something about bathing suit season being on the way

P.S. Enjoy your gardening. I'm still shovelling snow off my deck!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #92  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Oh Lisa -- just looked at your ticker! 15 lbs to go! Wooot wooot!! I remember when we were close to the same weight. I bow to you.
And to myself But the main thing is, I'm back and re-motivated. Must be something about bathing suit season being on the way

P.S. Enjoy your gardening. I'm still shovelling snow off my deck!
IP43
I'm so glad you are back!
I've been plateaued for quite some time. But you are absolutely right. I haven't gained.

This WL stuff is hard work. I lost 100 and regained once in my life and I'm bound and determined not to do that to myself again. That's why I continue to hang out here. Some of the plateau was self-imposed on maintenance. Other people's losses continue to motivate me & give me hope while I've addressed some health issues presumably contributing to my holding pattern.

I'm sure you've seen this.
One of our maintainers posted it.

Being overweight is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintenance is hard
Pick your hard.

Stick around! You can and will do it! I learned a long time ago we can't "beat ourselves up" into anything positive.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #93  

Height: 5 '6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Love love love the conversation re: looking forward.

My mindset is that I won't be able to eat like everyone else b/c I didn't! I ate too much and got myself into a mess.

My thoughts on everyone else is that I'm comparing what they may eat occasionally to what I think is done all the time. A thin person may eat xyz at a bar with friends but will probably balance that with less calorie-dense foods at other times. I was also in the habit of eating whatever I desired whenever I desired it. I'm pretty sure my thinner friends practice more restraint when home alone than I did.
Yes Lisa!! Totally agree with this! We see thin people eat fattening foods at a social gathering and think they've been blessed with a fast metabolism when in reality they don't go home and KEEP eating that food. They leave it alone until the next special occasion.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #94  

Height: 5 '6

Annik, 'the great divorce' 'alcoholic'.... it all applies!! Great words to describe the process we are going through.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #95  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

This has been one of the best weekend chat's ever. I'm so glad to know that so many other people think a lot about their future eating habits after IP.. it brings me stress to think I will ever be over weight again. I like that everyone has a little different take. I too have my own story, a little different. I keep thinking about 6 years being overweight/obese... at this point it's a little more than 1/5th of my life and honestly I have learned things and gained perspective. I no that soda will never be part of my life again, I doubt that I will have bread very often as I didn't really before, and I will probably need to avoid anything gummy (ie gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy cherries, etc). I want to be healthy I want to maintain a healthy weight, and I want to enjoy life, it will be work and I like what Lisa said, being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, so pick your hard
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #96  

Well today is Day 1 of IP (alternatives) for me. I've been lurking for a while.

10 years ago, I went from 460+ to 235 (6'4", male) on Medifast, and maintained for about seven years until I lost control due to a number of different factors.

Now I've gained a little over half my weight back (365), and have tried every diet under the sun, none of which I've been very successful with for more than a couple of months.

So it's time to go back to what works. IP and Medifast are very similar programs but I am choosing IP due to alternatives being easier, and the amount of support that it has here.

Doing it with Premier Protein shakes (RTD) from Costco, and Quest bars (restricted). I don't mind a lack of variety, when I was on medifast I had 5 of their cappucinos per day, every day, for months.

I'm taking an extra meal replacement for now, so 3 unrestricted (PP shakes), 1 restricted (quest bar), the salad greens, and 1 lean and green meal. I've seen an extra meal replacement recommended for some people, and I figure it will help me ease into the program, and help with hunger and wanting to cheat. After a few weeks I will probably go down to the regular 3 meal replacements per day.

Last edited by mgarner; 04-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #97  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

mgarner,

rooting for you! you've come to a good place!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #98  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Annik - It has taken me a long time to be able to deal reasonably with the issue of daily weighing, or not. For me in the beginning, I would get frustrated or upset when the scale did not reflect what I thought it should (or wanted?)?

I now do weigh every day for just information and to keep me honest. I have discovered that stepping on the scale every day is a way to remind me as I start my day that I have an important task. Think and reflect before eating.

The weight on the scale is only one thing that lets me know how I am doing and I add it to how I feel, how my clothes feel, how much energy I have, etc.!
After being on this program since last August, more or less, I think I will be one who needs that daily WI during maintenance. As you said, it will "keep me honest". I am of the mindset now that it is data, and those numbers will let me know if i need to make a change in what I am doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarner View Post

10 years ago, I went from 460+ to 235 (6'4", male) on Medifast, and maintained for about seven years until I lost control due to a number of different factors.

Now I've gained a little over half my weight back (365), and have tried every diet under the sun, none of which I've been very successful with for more than a couple of months.

So it's time to go back to what works. IP and Medifast are very similar programs but I am choosing IP due to alternatives being easier, and the amount of support that it has here.

Doing it with Premier Protein shakes (RTD) from Costco, and Quest bars (restricted). I don't mind a lack of variety, when I was on medifast I had 5 of their cappucinos per day, every day, for months.

I'm taking an extra meal replacement for now, so 3 unrestricted (PP shakes), 1 restricted (quest bar), the salad greens, and 1 lean and green meal. I've seen an extra meal replacement recommended for some people, and I figure it will help me ease into the program, and help with hunger and wanting to cheat. After a few weeks I will probably go down to the regular 3 meal replacements per day.
Welcome! I have been doing IP with alternatives for a while. Best of luck on the program! You have found a place of great knowledge, experience, and support!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
This has been one of the best weekend chat's ever. I'm so glad to know that so many other people think a lot about their future eating habits after IP.. it brings me stress to think I will ever be over weight again. I like that everyone has a little different take. I too have my own story, a little different. I keep thinking about 6 years being overweight/obese... at this point it's a little more than 1/5th of my life and honestly I have learned things and gained perspective. I no that soda will never be part of my life again, I doubt that I will have bread very often as I didn't really before, and I will probably need to avoid anything gummy (ie gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy cherries, etc). I want to be healthy I want to maintain a healthy weight, and I want to enjoy life, it will be work and I like what Lisa said, being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, so pick your hard
I have battled my weight since age 12 and I am 52. I was fairly normal weight in my 20's, obese in my 30's, lost it and retained for a number of years in my 40's, but thyroid disease caught me and then I gave up for a while. We have to always fight because our world tells us we need to have all these unhealthy things.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Great words of wisdom from everyone! I guess that's why we stay here! Thanks to you all and have a good night.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 195.4/182.5/145

Height: 5'5"

AMBER I agree with you that this has been a very good read this weekend with so many insites into the life of maintaining. I have, like drd, been up and down my whole adult life and I just turned 59 today. I was thin as a teen then gained in 20's, then a bit more in my 30's, every diet worked and everytime I would regain the weight. In my 40's I did the "Bernstein" diet and lost a significant amount of weight but only kept it off for 2 days. Since then (11 yrs) I have been gaining every year. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LAST!!! Thanks for all the support on this forum.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/ticker

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubygirl View Post
AMBER I agree with you that this has been a very good read this weekend with so many insites into the life of maintaining. I have, like drd, been up and down my whole adult life and I just turned 59 today. I was thin as a teen then gained in 20's, then a bit more in my 30's, every diet worked and everytime I would regain the weight. In my 40's I did the "Bernstein" diet and lost a significant amount of weight but only kept it off for 2 days. Since then (11 yrs) I have been gaining every year. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LAST!!! Thanks for all the support on this forum.
Happy Birthday Rubygirl!!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarner View Post

Be sure to read the thread Alternative products that work for P1... You will find you can have TONS of variety (if you choose or when you are ready) by following the alternative nutrition guidelines to selecting IP compatible products. Check out Nashua Nutrition website (or others you will read about on that thread).

Also just to clarify (though I think you are clear) the lunch/dinner veggies can be anything listed on the P1 sheet (2 cups/2cups measured raw). Lettuce (iceberg, romain, Bibb, etc) do not count, so for salads you need the additional items (field greens, spinach, are not free - they are listed on the sheet as select veggies). Lots of people use the lettuce to help with hunger at first, but also keep eating it to avoid the Big C and to enhance losses!

Yes, you can have additional unrestricted packets... LISA , chime in here with that chart... I never have it handy. Specific weight increments mean adding another packet.

Glad to have you with us!!

Last edited by JLUS; 04-06-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #104  

I keep that chart in my notes for quick reference

people use 3 packets (2 non-restricted, 1 restricted) per day.

In the IP clinic manual, it's listed this way:

201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Of course, still only 1 of those is restricted.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #105  

Isn't it nice that we can add info to other people (and are sometimes asked for it)? This is how community works and for the most part it works extremely well!

I'm not sure what I would have done when I started IP if 3FC hadn't been here. I learned SO.MUCH from those who came before me. Everything I share is just from what I've learned from others (including some coaches here & my own coach, prior to firing her). I get almost daily thanks somewhere (threads, PMs). I'm glad it helps! I do it b/c I feel I need to pay it forward.

We are all here to learn together and to grow together and to get healthier together.

We had company for the weekend and dined out a LOT.
I'm definitely retaining water. Been drinking a ton of it the last two days.
I just made potato/zucchini muffins for my lunches this week and just realized how bare the refrigerator is getting. I'll definitely be stopping at the grocery store on my way home from work tomorrow.
We're out of lettuce & fresh veggies (lets see, there is spinach and a rutabaga in there)
This will never do!

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-06-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Closed Thread