Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #31  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Seitan - I'm sure the hair loss is frustrating. FWIW, many people continue to lose on phase 2 and 3. Of course, you would not lose as quickly. Thought it might help you to know that as you consider what to do.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanRN View Post
Im still really struggling with the emotional eating . I talked to my counselor some more about it, we know that it stems from the low self esteem and mommy issues I have. My mom always made my sister and I feel ashamed to succeed and always always made mean comments about our weight and what we ate.

Anyways, she recommended a really good book that I found at Barnes and Noble: Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers. So Ive started reading it. We will see how it goes

Im really having trouble though, Im back up to 151lbs, I was 128lbs at the end of this September, then I started binge eating, ugh.

I have to realize that Im 32 years old and even if my family isn't supportive of me dieting, I am an adult and can make my own choices, for some reason though I still feel bound by their opinions........
Sending you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finale View Post
Can we eat pb2 it' powder peanut butter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness0915 View Post
Is soy cheese, or veggie cheese accepted in phase 1?
Neither are on P1

One of the things Phase 1 does for us ( if we allow it to) is help change/transform tastes/desires. When we choose not to sick to the plan as written, this won't happen for us and the strong cravings may continue.
The best way to stick to the plan as written is to have a mindset from day 1 that this is the way it is going to be - that our #1 job is to stick to the plan, no matter what.
It took some major planning and research on my part. I knew I wouldn't like the packaged foods beyond puddings, some drinks, & snacks. So I learned to transform them into something I found palatable.
I keep my refrigerator stocked with the veggies I need
I ALWAYS have a plan when going out, going to parties, traveling, etc
I ( therefore my diet) needed to be the priority if I was going to get back my health.

I am actually now at a weight where I have seen others come to START IP (15-25 lbs to lose range). I consider this last part for the vanity. The first 90+ was for health and sanity. Perhaps my need was more dire? I'm not sure why I came & stuck to the plan like glue. I know I read & researched for at least 6 weeks prior to diving in. I got myself in a mental place where I never asked a "is this allowed" question. I knew it wasn't on the sheet, so, no, it wasn't and I wasn't having it until I phased off.

I've watched a lot of people come & go in the 1.5 years I've been on this site reading and/or participating. Many more have gone away than have gotten to goal. Of those that do get to goal, I've seen very few do it without at least one plateau. Some hugely struggle for the last 5-10lbs but stick to the plan because they know it works. Others (myself included) developed some other medical issues. We are in the minority but those of us who stayed are the ones with the skills to research a wide variety of opinions and learn from experts on the subject (not just the naysayers) AND also learn from each other.

This is such a supportive place that even people not on the plan still want to come here after they switch to another plan (yet this is IP).

I completely support IdealProteinNewbie's answer. I tend to be quick and to the point when I am in a hurry, as well.

Last edited by lisa32989; 12-15-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #33  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seitan View Post
First time visiting IP Chat. Figured since I'm sitting here trying to decide if it's time to end IP or not, I would see what folks here thought.

Doing IP solo. I've lost over 60 lbs with a goal of losing 100 lbs which would have me at 150. I've had much hair loss (posted on that thread) and am not sure what to do. I am familiar with Phase 2 and have started reading up on Phase 3 and 4 but I just don't know. I hadn't planned for this which of course makes me feel like I'm stopping short of my goal. I know I haven't failed per se (60+ lbs is amazing) but don't know how to keep meeting my goal outside of Phase 1. I know there's a ton of info here to go through on the phases but just kind of overwhelmed with having to make the decision one way or the other.
Congrats on the 60 lb loss Seitan! That is awesome!

I'm afraid I don't have any good words about the hair loss since that's one side effect I've avoided so far (crosses fingers) but I did want to congratulate you on the great loss so far.

There's a ton of information on here and if you look back I think there were some very long, detailed threads about hair loss and how some people have dealt with it.

Like Lizzy63 said, many people continue to lose on P2 and P3 although not as quickly.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seitan View Post
First time visiting IP Chat. Figured since I'm sitting here trying to decide if it's time to end IP or not, I would see what folks here thought.

Doing IP solo. I've lost over 60 lbs with a goal of losing 100 lbs which would have me at 150. I've had much hair loss (posted on that thread) and am not sure what to do. I am familiar with Phase 2 and have started reading up on Phase 3 and 4 but I just don't know. I hadn't planned for this which of course makes me feel like I'm stopping short of my goal. I know I haven't failed per se (60+ lbs is amazing) but don't know how to keep meeting my goal outside of Phase 1. I know there's a ton of info here to go through on the phases but just kind of overwhelmed with having to make the decision one way or the other.
Some folks have a much harder time with hair loss than others.
From my reading about VLC plans, the first thing I'm going to ask is are you getting ALL of your oil ON your food (not just cooking with it?). Some folks may even need a little more oil than the current IP plan lists (Dr Tran's first book had a Tbsp - link to e book is in first post of this thread.)

60+ lbs IS amazing.
Many folks have found they kept losing on other phases of the diet so you may want to phase off and follow P4 very strictly with no cheat days and I bet you'd keep losing. Alternatively, there is an IP alternative plan designed for folks with health problems. I'll get on my computer and edit to add the link (cumbersome on iPad). You don't stay in Ketosis so hunger and cravings will return but it is a weight loss plan, nonetheless, and will probably stop the hair loss. You won't lose weight as fast but may keep your hair.

ETA: Here is the link for the IP alternative plan. It is post #35 in the stickies.

Last edited by lisa32989; 12-15-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #35  

Thanks for the encouragement, friends. I'm a researcher at heart so I've combed through many threads about this though I always seem to find a new one! Partly I'm at information saturation and still have yet to decide what to do. It's funny, I know a lot professionally about decision-making models but it's hard when this is so personal. Makes me get all philosophical.

Lizzy and Ruth Ann, I appreciate the info re: P2 and P3. I am less familiar with them than P1 so it's been hard making a choice to move there earlier than expected. But am glad to know that weight loss can continue. I think I would just have to keep the same rigor as I have with P1 with of course the necessary food adjustments.

Lisa, I did not know that oil cooked was different from oil directly consumed! I'm grateful for that tip. I use the olive oil cooked 99% of the time, only occasionally drizzled on salad. I will make that adjustment today (now where's my EVOO shot glass?!). And I'd be grateful for the link when you are able to post it.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Lisa: what you said is so true.

I know, Lisa, that planning is key, but more than that for me is the support of people like you on this board. Some of us did not necessarily do all the reading before starting - I am still catching up as fast as I can. Your help has been invaluable. It takes many different elements to make this IP plan work: some are more in my control and others can use some help. Know that as we approach a really tough time in the year foodwise that you keep me going. (

Just a side note - I was on the road for 12 hours yesterday picking up our son and girlfriend from college. The road is through endless miles of mountains and fields. Gas stations, food places, bathrooms are all few and far between. Of the group of us, I was the only one who had specific needs regarding our lunch and I stood my ground, very politely.

No Burger King, No McDonalds for me. We finally got to Subway and I had a delicious bug salad, all IP. Lettuce, yes, spinach, yes, cukes, etc. Stayed OP all day despite arriving at girlfriend's house to an incredible display of cookies and chocolates.

Today is our turn, hosting a cookie party while Santa visits. I am making sure NOT to make my favorites because I can minimize my desire to snack and taste. Fingers crossed - I am going to make a pumpkin spice hot latte and circulate on a full stomach of salad eaten before company arrives. No drinks except IP.

Last edited by schenectady; 12-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Question Hubby cuts back on bread and

Drops 8lbs in 3 days. Ok I know that men lose faster than women but how can he cut back on the amount of bread and still eat/drink his tea with 2 tsp of sugar, mochas and stuff and drop 8lbs! I am so happy for him but yet a smidge put off LOL.

Why oh why do guys have these magical powers?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #38  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Just popping in quick to say I hope everyone had a great weekend. I am completely done my Christmas shopping except grabbing one gift card. Feels great. While at my parents my dad asked me to go through a box of clothes I left behind when I moved out... in 2007! I am now the proud re-owner of a nice pair of jeans, dress pants, two brand new pajamas and a brand new t-shirt. The jeans are a little tight but everything else fits me perfectly!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/200

Height: 5-4

Just popping in to say Hi! What a great day today, OP! Feels successful! Feels good. Surviour (TV) tonight - going to be a good evening with the fam. Have a great week all IP'er's!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I am now the proud re-owner of a nice pair of jeans, dress pants, two brand new pajamas and a brand new t-shirt.
Way to go! Had a similar experience recently and it was awesome. Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/200

Height: 5-4

Forgot to tell you I had my clinic bring in the IP double fudge brownie, it's good guys. I plan for Christmas to make myself a small triffle out of one to enjoy as dessert@! IP pudding, IP brownie, maybe some 0,0,0 jam!!!! Oh can't wait!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #42  
Third time's the charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlr9774 View Post
Forgot to tell you I had my clinic bring in the IP double fudge brownie, it's good guys. I plan for Christmas to make myself a small triffle out of one to enjoy as dessert@! IP pudding, IP brownie, maybe some 0,0,0 jam!!!! Oh can't wait!
What a great idea! The only downfall of using all alternatives is missing out on the recipes everyone comes up with!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Just popping in quick to say I hope everyone had a great weekend. I am completely done my Christmas shopping except grabbing one gift card. Feels great. While at my parents my dad asked me to go through a box of clothes I left behind when I moved out... in 2007! I am now the proud re-owner of a nice pair of jeans, dress pants, two brand new pajamas and a brand new t-shirt. The jeans are a little tight but everything else fits me perfectly!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #44  

Quote:
While at my parents my dad asked me to go through a box of clothes I left behind when I moved out... in 2007! I am now the proud re-owner of a nice pair of jeans, dress pants, two brand new pajamas and a brand new t-shirt. The jeans are a little tight but everything else fits me perfectly!
I also had a similar experience this weekend. One shirt was from the 1988 Rose Bowl. It fits! I was probably 24 when I bought that shirt. I'm 50 now

Last edited by lisa32989; 12-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #45  
Third time's the charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I also had a similar experience this weekend. One shirt was from the 1988 Rose Bowl. It fits! I was probably 24 when I bought that shirt. I'm 50 now
That's an awesome NSV!!!
Closed Thread