Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't understand why so many people on this forum feel "unwelcomed" when they post about messing up on the diet and other members give them suggestions on how to get back on track and stop cheating. I feel very grateful when others who have been on IP for a while try to help me when I struggle. I do not need a group of people telling me that cheating on the diet is no big deal or that it is my right to cheat and have treats when I feel like it's justified. Thank you to those of you who take the time to answer posts from IP newbies with encouragement not to cheat!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #182  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
Now, things feel different here and I don't know if this is still the supportive forum I have relied on since starting.
I'm getting that sinking feeling as well...
Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #183  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm getting that sinking feeling as well...
Yes...sigh. It feels different. I hope this too shall pass. I am thankful for this thread, as I feel welcome here.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #184  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

Quote:
I went off the purple pill but had to use a different type until the rebound went away.
Now I use enymes, HCl, and Apple Cider Vinegar to regulate stomach acid, in addition to more whole-foods approach to gut healing (probiotic foods such as homemade sauerkraut)
Lisa do you use a starter for your sauerkraut? I have my large mason jar and a brand new head of cabbage ready to make my first try at fermenting my own, but am wondering if it is better to get a starter or hope it ferments enough in it's own juices.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #185  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo381972 View Post
Hope you start feeling better. I went off my acid reflux pills cold turkey on my third day , but I was taking a chance with not having rebound. I feel much better, but I know that pills can wreak havoc on someone's system. I hope you start to feel better soon. Good to know what you can and can't have to stay better. Do you have celiac's?
Jojo- 1st congrats on your NSVs! It feels so good to be in control of the food rather than the other way around!

I went off the acid reflux pills (Nexium) within just a couple of weeks of starting IP. I just went back on them temporarily after the doctor said to. I don't have celiacs (at least I hope I don't, that's all I need right now!). Right now I have a hernia that has some adhesion complications and need to be on a low fiber diet until we get it straightened out. Doctor expects me to be able to resume my regular diet after I heal up.

I weighed in at the doctor's office yesterday 3 lbs heavier than I did that morning at the coach's office. I told the dr that he needed to subtract the 3 lbs because I'm sure it was all the barium I had to drink in the morning!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #186  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
I hemmed and hawed about posting this ...

but I have enough respect and courtesy to post this in this 100% thread rather than in the 90% thread as I didn't want to upset any of our 90%'ers
Avalon: Beautifully said and certainly no apologies necessary. You pretty much covered what I was thinking.

I certainly hope everyone finds the right way for them to lose weight and be healthy and happy, I just worry about newbies getting the wrong message also. I don't know what I would have done without all the wonderful people who answered my sometimes dumb questions with patience and understanding and helped me stay 100% OP. Who'd have thunk I could lose nearly 70 lbs in 5 1/2 months?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #187  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWolf View Post
Lisa do you use a starter for your sauerkraut? I have my large mason jar and a brand new head of cabbage ready to make my first try at fermenting my own, but am wondering if it is better to get a starter or hope it ferments enough in it's own juices.
Just Google homemade sauerkraut. It's really easy. It just takes cabbage and salt. I fermented for about two weeks. No starter necessary. None of the good healthy probiotics get cooked out like with the store-bought ones (most are pasteurized)
There are many things I do not buy anymore. Sauerkraut is one of them. Plain yogurt is another one. I can't wait until I can start eating it too (yogurt).
Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #188  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Just Google homemade sauerkraut. It's really easy. It just takes cabbage and salt. I fermented for about two weeks. No starter necessary. None of the good healthy probiotics get cooked out like with the store-bought ones (most are pasteurized)
There are many things I do not buy anymore. Sauerkraut is one of them. Plain yogurt is another one. I can't wait until I can start eating it too (yogurt).
Since being on IP I have developed a different taste for spices and seasonings and really can taste things so much differently. If that's the right way to put it....I have a friend who makes homemade sauerkraut and is kind enough to give us some. Well, recently I tried some and it was so tart to me I could hardly eat it. She didn't make it any differently than her usual recipe, but for some reason I could hardly eat it! I am thinking now that I should try to make my own and that way I can control the salt in it?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #189  
IP start date 09/09/2013

S/C/G: 344/338/165

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
I hemmed and hawed about posting this ...

but I have enough respect and courtesy to post this in this 100% thread rather than in the 90% thread as I didn't want to upset any of our 90%'ers

I certainly am glad all the 90%ers have a place to post and talk about alcohol and candy bars! (I really don't want to be reading about those topics, so I am glad they are off doing their own thing.)

But it just strikes me as a little funny/odd that they want to attach themselves to the Ideal Protein name, but then start right from square one saying I am not going to TRY to eat the foods or follow the protocol 100%. I am going to start right off from the very beginning with only 90% compliance in mind.

It kind of reminds me of the old tale of a farmer trying to sell "George Washington's ax" for a tidy sum, but then telling the buyer that the handle was replaced in 1920, and the head was replace in 1962, but the ax takes up the same "space" so to speak as the original ax.

I think one of the potential problems with the 90% thread, is I wonder if it almost encourages people to cheat and be less successful right off the bat. There is "safety" in numbers. And all it takes is one person posting that they lost 100 lbs on candy bars, to enable others to try the same thing.

I mean what's next? A 60% thread? 40% thread? 5% thread?

I can just see someone posting that they eat candy bars and wine and french fries from McD's but they do drink the IP Chocolate Drink at night. Therefore they are on the Ideal Protein Diet but the 5% version. And they do lose weight but only a few pounds a year. At least they are losing!

I guess this shouldn't really bother me, but I think it sort of sets a bad precedent for newbies coming into the visit this forum to get information on the IP DIet, and then seeing the 90% thread, where you can just freestyle with no real structure. Basically anything goes! The hidden message in the 90% thread is 90% is IP and the other 10% is whatever you want! Ice Cream, Candybars, Alcohol. Who wouldn't want to try that diet! It's like that funny diet that Bill Mahr talked about, "eat whatever you want, you won't lose much weight but it's easy to stick to!".

And it totally takes away the most important piece of the Ideal Protein philosophy ... namely restricting carbs and sugar ... (breaking ones carb and sugar addition) ... get your insulin under control and steady ... and then having your body burn it's own fat. If you go into the IP Diet with "permission" to cheat every week with cookies or a candy bar and then being on the "90%" version, you never actually get past the sugar and carb addiction. It's sort of like an alcoholic just having a little nip every week and being in AA but in the 90% version.

I suppose ultimately people will be successful or fail on their own circumstances and drive. But I find it kind of sad that the IP "message" is getting diluted down by the cheating threads.

Not because I have a personal vested interest in the success of others (although I do wish EVERYONE on this board wellness, great health and happiness) -- ultimately I am only responsible for myself. But it does make me kind of sad that our ability to communicate to other new people just how great the pure form of this diet is ... is now a bit harder.

I mean I have been struggling with my weight for 20+ years, and the pure 100% IP Diet is BY FAR the best danged diet I have ever been on! I am actually ecstatic about it! But I feel like the philosophy of the diet is just not getting through to some.

By the way, one last thing, I am NOT talking about people that are trying to do IP 100%, and happen to occasionally fall off the wagon, we are all human and stuff happens ... but more about people that design the diet from the very beginning to only follow 90% or 50% or whatever.

The other bad thing about the 90%ers or 50%ers is they can then say, oh yeah, I tried the IP Diet for a few months and it didn't work. Thus giving IP a bad name. Thank GOD someone told me about how great the IP Diet was and I tried it. The more people that are on the 90% IP Diet (which is NOT endorsed by the IP people by the way), the more dilution occurs in terms of letting others know just how great this diet is.

Venting over.

And I apologize in advance if I upset anyone, I am not sure if what I am trying to communicate is coming across the way I want it to.

Anyway I felt like I had to get this off my chest.

(BTW, I am not talking about those that do "alternate foods" due to allergies or cost, as long as they are at least trying to follow the IP philosophy / protocol ). I do realize that there needs to be some "play" in all this.
Avalon 1957,
I get that the 90% thread is irritating to many people who work very hard to be 100%, but many of us are trying really hard to be 100%. Some people respond well to the "tough love" talk about getting right back on the wagon, but some need some sympathy and understanding.

No one on the 90% group is advocating going rogue or freestyle with ice cream, cookies and alcohol. In general, many people are saying thinks like . . . I work out and I tend to eat an extra X the day I work out hard. When I am unexpectedly trapped in circumstances that I can't control without my own food, what is the least damaging choice I can make? I have X alcoholic drinks a month and I know that it will slow down my progress, but it is important to me for this reason. As to your "slippery slope" 50%. 10%, 5% and McD french fry argument . . . cheats that bring a person out of ketosis are their own punishment. Who wants to go through the hunger, headaches and dizziness all over again?

I think that most of the people over on the 90% board appreciate the wisdom of the successful 100% people like yourself, but we just have different perspectives on a few things. Perhaps in time the 90% people will realize that 90% really doesn't work, but in the mean time they need a safe place to share feelings on certain topics.

I hope that you don't think that it is rude for me to post this on the 100% board, but I just wanted to let you know that it isn't the wild west over there. I will keep lurking over here in the 100% board because I realize that many of you have an amazing amount of knowledge and experience that you are generous enough to share with others and I don't want to miss out on it due to a disagreement about 100% and 90%.

All the best,
Anita
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #190  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Height: 5'3"

Since we are all giving opinions regarding the 90% board, here's mine.

I personally am 100%, however I did have a glass of wine when I hit my goal last week and it was my birthday, so I guess I am 99.99% and NO , I won't be starting a board for that.

I see both sides of the story. When a 90% follower posts about a "cheat" or an indisgretion, a lot of the time it feels as though they are being sent to the principal's office for a scolding. I think they may need a pep talk but not a talk down to talk (if you know what I mean). That person may have done they best they could under circumstances and we shouldn't judge what those circumstances are. It's not for us to judge but it is our "obligation" to encourage.

I am posting on both 90% and 100% because I am 100% but I respect where they are coming from. And if they are still losing weight by being 90%, more power to them.

Let's not judge and get back to positive feedback from both sides. I'd rather hear about a new recipe, a good deal on WF product or a NSV that the bickering. I too am deciding if I should remove myself completely from this forum as I don't log on here for arguing purposes and the she said this and she said that, stuff that goes on.

I am going to take 10 days away from this site and hope things change for the better.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #191  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

If i could lose weight and be 10% I would totally do it. As it is I have to be 100% to lose about 1 pound a week. It gets difficult to maintain 100%. You have to sacrifice something. I have slipped up a couple of times when i didn't read a label closely or I ordered something that came with a sabotage that wasn't in the description and had to scrape it off or pick it out. Once i ate two restricteds in one day because i forgot that one of them was restricted since it wasn't snacky. I feel devastated when i fail to be perfect. I have never justified a mistake. i need the 100% forum to help me focus and keep me on track.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #192  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
I see both sides of the story. When a 90% follower posts about a "cheat" or an indisgretion, a lot of the time it feels as though they are being sent to the principal's office for a scolding. I think they may need a pep talk but not a talk down to talk (if you know what I mean). That person may have done they best they could under circumstances and we shouldn't judge what those circumstances are. It's not for us to judge but it is our "obligation" to encourage.
Thank you for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeterab View Post
Avalon 1957,
I get that the 90% thread is irritating to many people who work very hard to be 100%, but many of us are trying really hard to be 100%. Some people respond well to the "tough love" talk about getting right back on the wagon, but some need some sympathy and understanding.

No one on the 90% group is advocating going rogue or freestyle with ice cream, cookies and alcohol. In general, many people are saying thinks like . . . I work out and I tend to eat an extra X the day I work out hard. When I am unexpectedly trapped in circumstances that I can't control without my own food, what is the least damaging choice I can make? I have X alcoholic drinks a month and I know that it will slow down my progress, but it is important to me for this reason. As to your "slippery slope" 50%. 10%, 5% and McD french fry argument . . . cheats that bring a person out of ketosis are their own punishment. Who wants to go through the hunger, headaches and dizziness all over again?

I think that most of the people over on the 90% board appreciate the wisdom of the successful 100% people like yourself, but we just have different perspectives on a few things. Perhaps in time the 90% people will realize that 90% really doesn't work, but in the mean time they need a safe place to share feelings on certain topics.

I hope that you don't think that it is rude for me to post this on the 100% board, but I just wanted to let you know that it isn't the wild west over there. I will keep lurking over here in the 100% board because I realize that many of you have an amazing amount of knowledge and experience that you are generous enough to share with others and I don't want to miss out on it due to a disagreement about 100% and 90%.

All the best,
Anita
Very we'll said.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #193  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Height: 5'4"

It seems that a lot of the 90%/100% debate is about perspective and personal experience. I personally need to be 100% because trying to eat and live a healthy lifestyle only a percentage of the time is what got me to the highest weight of my life before starting IP. There are so many motivating factors for my to stay 100%. Someone else's experience might be different and they want the freedom to make whatever adjustments they feel they need.

For me, the 100% method makes sense for a ton of reasons. Even though sometimes it scares me to think of how much further I have to go and how to maintain after that, it is the 100% that keeps me grounded and focused, and confident that what I am doing is working. I need the structure of it and am so grateful for it!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #194  

100%ers
Don't feed the trolls
Here or anywhere

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #195  

S/C/G: S/C/G 202/190.2/150

Quote:
100%ers
Don't feed the trolls
Here or anywhere
Dehumanizing people by calling them names does not sound classy.
Closed Thread